The Wilco Thread

Comments

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Oxxys wrote:
    They said in a email it will be out by spring!

good news! thanks for the info!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    mfc2006 wrote:
    Oxxys wrote:
    They said in a email it will be out by spring!

good news! thanks for the info!

I know I am pumped!
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Another cool little Tweedy side project is Loose Fur.
  • pretextpretext Posts: 1,294
    gabers wrote:

And the grand Golden Smog. I don't think you can get much better than Gary Louris and Jeff Tweedy combining their superpowers.
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    lralle wrote:
    gabers wrote:

And the grand Golden Smog. I don't think you can get much better than Gary Louris and Jeff Tweedy combining their superpowers.

The only better combination I can think of is Tweedy/Farrar (and Louris/Olson is pretty great of course).

I love Gary's voice. So beautiful and unique.
  • ZosoCatZosoCat Posts: 176
    gabers wrote:

i have to get into these side projects.. anything tweedy does turns to gold.
    wilco added a bunch more dates.. here is the complete list

http://wilcoworld.net/tours/index.php
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    damn I hate where they are playing in athens and the asheville date is on a tuesday night which means hotel and taking a day and a half off from work.

i might have to roll the dice and hope for an Atlanta date later this summer :?
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Wilco are road horses. They tour non-stop. I think they have now played all 50 states, as of this past summer.

I don't think you can go wrong with any album of theirs, but here's a good guide:

Alt-Country(still getting over Uncle Tupelo)
    1. AM
    2. Being There

Coming to terms of alt-rock
    3. Summerteeth

Flashes of Kraut-rock, experimentation, and very strong songwriting
    4. Yankee Foxtrot Hotel
    5. A Ghost Is Born

Folk rock, Neil Young worshippers
    6. Sky Blue Sky

Like I said there is strong material on all their albums. I can honestly say none of their albums make me turn my nose up.

If you are more adventurous, I definitely recommend Glenn Kotche and Nels Cline's solo recordings. Of course, "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart" is a must watch regardless if you are into the band or not.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    a cool post on Hype Machine w/ live mp3s of some of their new songs.....
    http://www.youaintnopicasso.com/2009/02 ... new-songs/

new album in June!! 8-)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 wrote:
    a cool post on Hype Machine w/ live mp3s of some of their new songs.....
    http://www.youaintnopicasso.com/2009/02 ... new-songs/

new album in June!! 8-)

yeah got the email from wilco HQ yesterday saying the album will be out in June :)
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    anyone else excited about the new ASHES OF AMERICAN FLAG DVD release next Saturday.. Apparently if you by it at a record store day location you get a whole extra show for download plus the audio tracks of the songs from the DVD... Thats pretty cool. www.pitchforkmedia.com posted a clip from the DVD 'side with the seeds'.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    MW234164 wrote:
    Wilco are road horses. They tour non-stop. I think they have now played all 50 states, as of this past summer.

I don't think you can go wrong with any album of theirs, but here's a good guide:

Alt-Country(still getting over Uncle Tupelo)
    1. AM
    2. Being There

Coming to terms of alt-rock
    3. Summerteeth

Flashes of Kraut-rock, experimentation, and very strong songwriting
    4. Yankee Foxtrot Hotel
    5. A Ghost Is Born

Folk rock, Neil Young worshippers
    6. Sky Blue Sky

Like I said there is strong material on all their albums. I can honestly say none of their albums make me turn my nose up.

If you are more adventurous, I definitely recommend Glenn Kotche and Nels Cline's solo recordings. Of course, "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart" is a must watch regardless if you are into the band or not.

AM is the only album I don't care for. There's nothing bad on it really, it's just not a very memorable album.

That dvd is amazing.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    Zoso wrote:
    anyone else excited about the new ASHES OF AMERICAN FLAG DVD release next Saturday.. Apparently if you by it at a record store day location you get a whole extra show for download plus the audio tracks of the songs from the DVD... Thats pretty cool. http://www.pitchforkmedia.com posted a clip from the DVD 'side with the seeds'.
    I am very excitedfor next saturday.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    picked up presale tickets for their June show in Berkeley ... pretty pumped.

back to back nights ...

David Byrne & DeVotchka
    Wilco

good times at the Greek!
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,439
    jimed14 wrote:
    picked up presale tickets for their June show in Berkeley ... pretty pumped.

back to back nights ...

David Byrne & DeVotchka
    Wilco

good times at the Greek!

that should be a tremendous show
  • A Ghost is born and YHF tie for favorite album

Songs:
    Company in My Back
    Reservations
    War on War
    Kamera
    Muzzle of Bees
    What Light
    Handshake Drugs (esp live)
    Pot Kettle Black
    Misunderstood
    I'm Always in Love
    Heavy Metal Drummer
    Poor Places
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
    I hope they release some east coast dates.
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
    Oxxys wrote:

someone over at the wilco board said that they talked to Glen Kotchie while he was playing with his side project in Philly last week and was told that they should be in the philly area around August/September... So thats pretty cool indeed.

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
    Zoso wrote:
    Oxxys wrote:

someone over at the wilco board said that they talked to Glen Kotchie while he was playing with his side project in Philly last week and was told that they should be in the philly area around August/September... So thats pretty cool indeed.

I actually saw that post over at via chicago. My buddy also relayed to me today that they will be playing wolftrap near DC in July, so maybe the east coast dates will be in July.
    Oxxys wrote:
    Zoso wrote:
    Oxxys wrote:

I actually saw that post over at via chicago. My buddy also relayed to me today that they will be playing wolftrap near DC in July, so maybe the east coast dates will be in July.

I got an email from Wilco HQ

We're just back from mastering the record... so it's done & in the can and everyone's ready to hit the road all spring, summer and beyond. The dates and presales are going up fast and furious.

Already on sale are: Berkeley and Lake Tahoe (Stateline, NV).

Just announced: Cincinnati, Oklahoma City, El Paso, Tucson, Pomona and two shows in LA

And more are coming very shortly. We'll hit you with another email later this week detailing further plans for the East coast in July.
    I didn't get this email....
    I got this email.. looks like east coast show this july :D It made my day... so eddie in june, wilco july and hopefully PJ in the fall :) Looks like a good year for wilco fans! Can't wait for june and the new album..

• Rock OUT Belleville Illinoise!!!!

I saw Jeff's hometown shows in ST. Louis last year. I walked from the venue to a restaraunt Called Blueberry hill. When I got back Wilco was standing all around my car. I was a little wasted, but got two posters signed. One signed to me and on signed to my buddy that couldn't make it to the show. Nels Cline put hearts all over both of them. Jeff is such a genuine person.

Wilco Rocks!

Oh yeah and I saw Wilco 3 Nights in a Row and then the 4th night.. Radiohead. It was an awesome 4 days.
    07-02-98, 10-11-00, 04-22-03, 04-23-03, 06-09-03, 06-10-03, 06-18-03, 06-21-03, 06-22-03, 10-02-04, 10-03-04, 10-05-04, 05-16-06, 05-17-06, 05-22-06, 06-24-06, 06-29-06
    Rock OUT Belleville Illinoise!!!!

I saw Jeff's hometown shows in ST. Louis last year. I walked from the venue to a restaraunt Called Blueberry hill. When I got back Wilco was standing all around my car. I was a little wasted, but got two posters signed. One signed to me and on signed to my buddy that couldn't make it to the show. Nels Cline put hearts all over both of them. Jeff is such a genuine person.

Wilco Rocks!

Oh yeah and I saw Wilco 3 Nights in a Row and then the 4th night.. Radiohead. It was an awesome 4 days.

wow thats very cool... I wish I could make it to the Milwauke shows but never mind pretty sure there will be a philly show or 2 coming up.

Zoso wrote:

wow thats very cool... I wish I could make it to the Milwauke shows but never mind pretty sure there will be a philly show or 2 coming up.

yes but where in philly?
    indoors or out?
    Get_Right wrote:
    Zoso wrote:

yes but where in philly?
    indoors or out?

not sure only gong by the fact that the east coast are being announced this week and that kotchie said they will be in philly around august.

bump...

wilco to play NY state and Wilmington, DE July...

http://delaware.metromix.com/music/arti ... 59/content

Zoso wrote:
    bump...

wilco to play NY state and Wilmington, DE July...

http://delaware.metromix.com/music/arti ... 59/content
    bummer man says they will bypass philly
    no Jam on the river!
    a short road trip to Wilmington seems like a good idea in July around the 10th :)