East Troy 2003
    Chicago x2, Summerfest x2, 2006
    Chicago THE VIC, Lollapalooza, 2007
    bonnaROOOOOOO 2008
    Chicago x2 2009

(EV chicago 2008 night 2)
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,737
    no speakers at work guys, anything of mega interest on there?
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:
    no speakers at work guys, anything of mega interest on there?

Cheers for those

the first one Eddie talks about the re release on 10
    in the second he talks about how he discovered hard sun, it was very interesting
    26/02/1998 Wellington, 09/09/2006 Marseille, 16/09/2006 Verona
    23/09/2006 Berlin, 30/09/2006 Athens, 18/07/2007 London
    02/07/2009 Honolulu (EV Solo), 22/11/2009, Sydney, 29/11/2009 Christchurch
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,929
    Thanks for the links :)

Hmmm . . . so he's feeling very compressed right now. Wonder what that means :?
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    Eddie Vedder and the new face of America
    by Alan Cross
    January 30, 2009 01:00

Here are two things I never expected to hear: (1) “As your financial adviser, I won’t be charging you any management fees this year because your portfolio went down and I blame myself.” And (2) “I have Eddie Vedder on the phone for you.”

I’m still paying management fees on my RRSP. Eddie, on the other hand, was, in fact, on the phone from somewhere in Seattle. And despite his well-documented, er, reserve, the Pearl Jam frontman sounded, well, rather verklempt — in a good way. So how is he doing, following the inaugural of U.S. President Barack Obama?

“I’m OK. I’m beyond OK. I’m great. I’m so overwhelmed and overcome with emotion ... I feel incredible, I feel relieved, I feel exhausted.”

So what kind of hopes and predictions does he now have, I ask.

“Two years ago, you were wondering what could there possibly be to unite our country and get us out of this mess. What can get us back on the positive? What can bring us back into some kind of standing with the international community? And it seemed like that there would not be any answer. Who knew we would get to this moment?”

Maybe Barack Obama’s greatest contribution is simply going to be the re-ignition of hope, he suggests.

“So now it’s up to us to keep that candle, turn that into a flame and keep it burning. And to protect and serve him and serve our nation now that the electorate has been invigorated.”

We had our own federal election in October and the turnout and interest was low. However, hundreds of Canadians travelled to Washington to take part in American history.

“Wow. Well, you know, we are connected — more than just geographically. Our cultures are very similar and when one goes down, the other is going to follow in certain ways.”

Eddie and I talked about everything from the upcoming reissue of Pearl Jam’s Ten album (due March 24) to any lingering bad feelings towards Ticketmaster.

But here was my big question: How did Eddie come to cover a Canadian song for the Into the Wild soundtrack? The answer next week.

Into The Wild song’s Canadian connection
    by Alan Cross
    February 06, 2009 12:06

Eddie Vedder is in a great mood. A few hours earlier, Barack Obama had been sworn in as the 44th president of the United States and Eddie was elated. Ebullient. Euphoric. Effervescently, er, chatty. Although we were going to talk about the upcoming reissue of Pearl Jam’s Ten album (due March 24), which we did, eventually, we both got a little sidetracked on a matter of Canadiana.

A big mystery has been how Eddie came to cover Hard Sun by Indio, a now-obscure Canadian artist who has been AWOL for the better part of 20 years. Although the song still occasionally gets played on Canadian radio, Big Harvest, the album from whence it came, was deleted years ago. It’s now one of those Holy Grail collectibles for a certain type of Canadian rock fan.

Then suddenly, it shows up in a Sean Penn movie being sung by the Pearl Jam frontman. So, how did that happen?

Cross: How did you come across the song Hard Sun for the Into the Wild soundtrack?

Vedder: The Canadian connection! When Sean (Penn, the director) first showed me the movie, it was in the film. To be honest, for me, it was the first time I’d ever heard it. But it felt like I had heard it. I couldn’t tell if it was from the late ’60s or mid-’70s. It had this kind of timeless thing about it.

Cross: Sean Penn found the song?

Vedder: Sean, at one point, knew Gordon (Peterson, the person behind Indio) or had been in contact with him or had friends who were friends of his. And Sean has really good, really eclectic musical tastes. He can quote Phil Ochs at the drop of a hat or recite a 12-minute Bob Dylan song. I think he knew this fellow, Gordon, and loved this song.

I wrote something for this part of the film (the soundtrack for Into the Wild is essentially an Eddie Vedder solo record) and he said “I think that’s good, but I think we need to go with Hard Sun.” And I thought, “Great. That’s less work for me to do. And then he said, “No, no. YOUR version of it.”

I tried to be really true to his delivery. It’s a great, great song. But I’ve not met (Peterson) or talked to him. I hope he liked it.

;)
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    edited February 2009
    Hard Sun and I go way back - thank you Ed for connecting my life then with my life now on a level that defies words...And thank you Sean Penn for making him do it...
    Post edited by vedderfan10 on
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,600
    the transcript for the 3rd and final part of Alan Cross' interview with Ed, as well as links to all 3 podcasts, is available in the following thread:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=92494
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    How I choose to feel......is how I am.