Pedal Order

ianvomsaalianvomsaal Suncoast, FL Posts: 1,224
edited November 2013 in Musicians and Gearheads
I recently answered a private message question about Pedal Order, so I thought I'd share my thoughts.
No real need for comments :D since I got this from Mr. ROBERT KEELEY (Keeley Modified Pedals).

"Is there a specific order my effects should go in? Yes and no. There are some guidelines that can be followed to make sure odd things don't happen, and to keep your tone truer. Placing effects in a logical order will help! This list of effects order is just a general guideline - Some of the best and most unique guitar tones have been created by breaking the rules!:
Which Chain Of Effect Pedals Makes Life Easy?
All you have to do is remember this phase and which letter corresponds to which type of effect.
Wah - Compressor - Overdrive - EQ - Pitch - Modulation - Level - Echo.
I like to see wah pedals and sometimes even phasers as the first effect after the guitar. Wah pedals boost a frequency you sweep to with your foot and phasers cut or notch a frequency that is swept to electronically. Distortion pedals make interesting response changes to the boost or cut from these sweep pedals. Compressors typically go next although I like them after distortion pedals in many cases if the compressor is clean and transparent enough. Compression after distortion has two effects that I really like. First, the noise floor is lower because the noise from a compressor isn't being amplified and distorted by the overdrive pedal. Second, there appears to be more sustain. There is one draw back that some people notice and that is a darker, warmer tone. Some folks might prefer a more conventional, brighter tone. Next comes Overdrive or distortion. Equalizer pedals can go next. They are commonly used for a boost pedal if they can be turned on and off, or used to shape the tone of the distortion pedal. Pitch changing pedals, Vibrato for example; go next for the simple reason that many distortion pedals can't handle the many pitches at one time. Try strumming a complex chord with your distortion pedal on, say a C7#9#11. Modulation effects go next such as chorus and flanging go next. Level pedals that control the volume go next in many cases. This would include tremolo, volume pedals (great at this point in the effects chain because it cuts all the hiss going to your amp), noise gates and limiters. Since compression is a limiter in many cases and this is why it works post-distortion by the way. Echo effects go last. These include delay and reverb.
A sample effects board might contain these effects: Guitar -> Wah, Compressor, Overdrive, EQ, Vibrato, Chorus, Tremolo, Volume Pedal, and Delay-> Amp.
"

Well, this is Robert Keeley's thoughs on pedal order - I think most of what he says makes perfect sense.
Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
<b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Thank you but I have another question...Does the chorus go before the flange? Like Chorus-Flange-Amp??
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    you wouldn't generally have both of those on at one time since they're sort of variations of the same effect.

but if you did, whatever order sounded better to you.
  • StickmanJamStickmanJam Posts: 425
    so ianvomsaal, u recommended the BD-2 Blues Driver by BOSS, which definitely looks cool, but if I want more punh and some modern rock crunch (PJ, Soungarden) would the better option be the BOSS DS-1?

but wow, that Blues Driver sounds sweet. I just don't know how versatile it would be when playing PJ for instance.
    MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Where would you put a phaser, say a Phase 90? With the modulation effects, or right after the wah and before a comp?
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Suncoast, FL Posts: 1,224
    Thank you but I have another question...Does the chorus go before the flange? Like Chorus-Flange-Amp??
    I like to put my chorus after all other modulation effects because I like to drench things in chorus, but as MR. Exhausted said,
    they are similar effects, so you probably wouldn't have them on at the same time - it's purely personal preference.

- Ian
    so ianvomsaal, u recommended the BD-2 Blues Driver by BOSS, which definitely looks cool, but if I want more punh and some modern rock crunch (PJ, Soungarden) would the better option be the BOSS DS-1?

but wow, that Blues Driver sounds sweet. I just don't know how versatile it would be when playing PJ for instance.
    Actually you can get quite a lot of punch from the BOSS BD-2, and it sounds different from the Ibanez TS-9 – I personally don’t like the DS-1 very much (maybe if it got Keeley Modified it would have a better tone).

The Ibanez TS-9 is very cool (I own two). I use the TS-9 and BD-2 every time I play (though most of the time I do prefer the Boss BD-2 Blues Driver for tube-like sounding overdrive because it's not as thin sounding as the TS-9). Mike MCcready does have both BD-2 and TS-9 pedals on his pedalboard (both Keeley Modified).

Many people say don’t bother getting either Boss BD-2 or Ibanez TS-9 pedals UNLESS you get them Keeley Modified (I don't necessarily agree, however his MODIFICATIONS do sound good).

Like me, Mr. Keeley prefers the Boss BD-2.

Here are some thoughts from Bob Keeley on the BD-2:
    "The BD-2 is not the same pedal as a TS9 pedal. When cranked the BD-2 offers a grittier/more-edgy tone, and has a more FULL-RANGE sound. It is much more of a TRANSPARENT type of overdrive. It sounds like real tube break-up. It is therefore not as smooth and narrow sounding as the TS9. For tone-purists, this is it! It's not simply a distortion pedal but rather a tone tool that adds to your guitar tone, supplying really nice lows, crystal clear high frequency, great picking response and detail. For those wanting to set their amp on fire but not change the tone of their system, this is the pedal. The BD-2 is very DYNAMIC and works wonders with the volume control on your guitar. You can control all the drive you want by setting the BD-2 Gain high and using your volume control to instantly dial in the rest!"

Basically I'd suggest you try both pedals out and decide for yourself what you like best – I have both on my board, and use both every time I play.

- Ian
    Novawind wrote:
    Where would you put a phaser, say a Phase 90? With the modulation effects, or right after the wah and before a comp?
    A Phaser is a type of modulation effect, so I'd place it next to those effects.
    Generally you want to Modulate the signal you've Distorted, Wah'd, ect before you Delay it.
    I personally run my Compressor ahead of everything, and my Volume Pedal at the end of the chain
    (actually I have 2 volumes, one at the beginning and one at the end).
    On my large board I have them in this order: Flanger, Phaser, and then Chorus.
    You typically don't use them at the same time because then you'd be modulating a modulation.
    Make sense???

- Ian
    Novawind wrote:

i actually put mine up front before my distortions and compresison. i much prefer distorted phase than i do phased distortion. much more vibe-like doing it that way.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    exhausted wrote:
    i actually put mine up front before my distortions and compresison. i much prefer distorted phase than i do phased distortion. much more vibe-like doing it that way.
    +1
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Novawind wrote:
    i put mine where Ian's thing says 'wah'. I've found with the phase 90 that putting it after my OD's and fuzz pedals caused dramatic and very unwanted changes in volume. Putting it before them eliminated that.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Many people say don’t bother getting either Boss BD-2 or Ibanez TS-9 pedals UNLESS you get them Keeley Modified (I don't necessarily agree, however his MODIFICATIONS do sound good).

Can't go wrong with either pedal IMO. The keely mods sound great but the pedals are fantastic right out of the box. I chose the TS-9 over the Blues Driver but if I had the money I'd own both.

"Make our day"
  • i go wah-dod chorus-BF2-DD6, its the business having the d6 at the end....where would i put a volume pedal in this?after DD6?

i use gain channels on my jcm900

leeds 26/08/06....electric
    paris 11/09/06.....crushed...but estatic
    wembley 18/06/07.....oh yes

'listen...you can hear the sustain...you just hold that note and you can go get a bite whilst its still going'

the legend , nigel tufnell
    personally i'd put the volume before the delay to allow for cutting sound leaving trailing delays.
    The BF-2 is mono only, right?

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Novawind wrote:
    The BF-2 is mono only, right?

yes, your right

leeds 26/08/06....electric
    paris 11/09/06.....crushed...but estatic
    wembley 18/06/07.....oh yes

'listen...you can hear the sustain...you just hold that note and you can go get a bite whilst its still going'

the legend , nigel tufnell
  • exhausted wrote:
    personally i'd put the volume before the delay to allow for cutting sound leaving trailing delays.
    +1

Also volume swells w/ delay and fun stuff like that.

"Make our day"
  • Bump
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    Stickied by request of bbs member.
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Thank You!!!!
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Thank You!!!!

I requested this earlier this morning. Hopefully this works.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
    Thanks, kat.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,346
    I go:

Guitar-Volume(VP JR)-boss tuner-Tubescreamer-blues driver-amp input

then I run a stereo memoryman-phaser-dd6 boss digital delay through my effect loop.

I just recently started using the effects loop and I noticed a pretty significant difference right away...if you have one, I reccomend using it.
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
    My only problem is that the effects loop on my Marshall is a parallel effects loop, which means that the signal is split in two, half goes to the "wet" effects loop and the "dry" half doesn't, then they're merged back together at the effects return and sent to the reverb/speaker. Because of this, it's really hard to get the kind of echo balance that I like when I put my DD20 in the effects loop.

On the other hand, this also makes it impossible to use the Marshall's built in drive channels with echo (at least effectively). Kind of a bummer, and probably the only reason why I'll eventually get rid of my Marshall for a different amp.

Parallel effects loop, eh.
    Serial effects loop, better.
    Switchable serial/parallel effects loop, best.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Hey does anyone know what pedals JeffAhmet uses???
    Bob J
  • Tuolumne MamaTuolumne Mama Posts: 1,210
    Hoping someone here can help me. My 13 year old has played for about 7 years now and has been messing with mid range prices distortion pedals with his Les Paul Jr and Strat. He wants a new pedal for his birthday and Xmas this year, but knowing nothing about them, I was wondering if someone could recommend a decent moderately priced one that would give him some range to roam and keep him occupied for awhile? Thanks I appreciate your experienced advice.
    ======================================================================
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pine.

• FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    edited July 2009
    After years of having the delay pedal near the end of my chain, I now place it before the modulation pedals. If I sync the delay and the vibe speeds - the vibe immediately following the delay in the chain - I gain some incredible, extreme-sounding effects. The richness and texture of the modulation stays intact, and the delay keeps more of the guitar's tone.

It's all a matter of personal preference. 8-)
    Post edited by FinsburyParkCarrots on
  • FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    FoxyMHMama wrote:
    Hoping someone here can help me. My 13 year old has played for about 7 years now and has been messing with mid range prices distortion pedals with his Les Paul Jr and Strat. He wants a new pedal for his birthday and Xmas this year, but knowing nothing about them, I was wondering if someone could recommend a decent moderately priced one that would give him some range to roam and keep him occupied for awhile? Thanks I appreciate your experienced advice.

A thirteen year old, with a Les Paul and a Strat? Blimey. Lucky kid. Buy him a Rotovibe.
    FoxyMHMama wrote:

A thirteen year old, with a Les Paul and a Strat? Blimey. Lucky kid. Buy him a Rotovibe.

Bought the Strat used from a local dealer who refurbishes them - the 57 LPJ is a reissue that I got on sale. He plays them most of the time so it's worth the investment, IMO. In my mind I would have spent as much on gaming devices and games by now so in the long run it's a better deal - can always make an extra few dollars playing gigs when he's older. He also started playing the sax about 2 years ago and is pretty solid. Thanks for your help - I will check out prices on that.
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pine.

• oconnboconnb Posts: 4
    FoxyMHMama wrote:Hoping someone here can help me. My 13 year old has played for about 7 years now and has been messing with mid range prices distortion pedals with his Les Paul Jr and Strat. He wants a new pedal for his birthday and Xmas this year, but knowing nothing about them, I was wondering if someone could recommend a decent moderately priced one that would give him some range to roam and keep him occupied for awhile? Thanks I appreciate your experienced advice.

I would look at getting a big muff for some thick but controllable fuzz. it is a really cool pedal with some range that may open his thought process a bit. Especially with a les paul. Otherwise, to go nicer, look at Sans Amp pedals. They have a wide range of sound and are quite versatile. But a rotovibe would sound awesome through a nice tube amp like a fender twin reverb or deluxe with some delay on it like on a Boss DD-3.
    oconnb wrote:
    FoxyMHMama wrote:Hoping someone here can help me. My 13 year old has played for about 7 years now and has been messing with mid range prices distortion pedals with his Les Paul Jr and Strat. He wants a new pedal for his birthday and Xmas this year, but knowing nothing about them, I was wondering if someone could recommend a decent moderately priced one that would give him some range to roam and keep him occupied for awhile? Thanks I appreciate your experienced advice.

I would look at getting a big muff for some thick but controllable fuzz. it is a really cool pedal with some range that may open his thought process a bit. Especially with a les paul. Otherwise, to go nicer, look at Sans Amp pedals. They have a wide range of sound and are quite versatile. But a rotovibe would sound awesome through a nice tube amp like a fender twin reverb or deluxe with some delay on it like on a Boss DD-3.

Thank you very much for the info. I believe the amp he has is the fender one you mentioned. What is a reasonable price to pay for a rotovibe or a Boss DD-3?