Sirius Radio Users?

Betterman77Betterman77 Posts: 92
edited June 2006 in Technical Stuff and Help
I just got a Sirius radio and its all hooked up and all, but I thought it would give u cd quality sound, I got the best signal possible, so i guess it won't be cd quality am I right?
"Keep on Rockin In the Free World"

"Gimli,MB 08-14-93"
"Fargo,ND 06-15-03"
"Winnipeg,MB 09-08-05"
"Thunder Bay,ON 09-09-05"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• smartass1235smartass1235 Posts: 136
    it is digital. but if you are using an FM transmitter you can expect less then great quality
    4-30-03
    7-06-03
    7-11-03
    9-28-04
    9-29-04
    5-13-06
    6-03-06
    6-27-08
  • possomistspossomists Posts: 427
    shouldve gotten xm buddy. you got second best, not bad, but second best
    "you can say that we're, nocturnal, posssomists"
    -ed july 8th MSG 2004
  • Biggest WaveBiggest Wave Posts: 686
    Fuck Sirius you should have gotten XM. Much better programming.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Neither service is going to give you true CD quality. These files are encoded into a lower res format for streaming.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • 10_pearljam10_pearljam Posts: 172

LOL...programming on XM blows...

But you have Greg and Anthony exclusively...
    He is alive but feels absolutely nothing.
    So is he?
    When he was six he believed that the moon overhead followed him.
    By nine he had deciphered the illusion trading magic for fact.
    No tradebacks...
    So this is what it's like to be an adult
    If he only knew now what he knew then...
  • 10_pearljam10_pearljam Posts: 172
    I just got a Sirius radio and its all hooked up and all, but I thought it would give u cd quality sound, I got the best signal possible, so i guess it won't be cd quality am I right?

How do you have it hooked up? Car, Stereo, Boom Box?
    He is alive but feels absolutely nothing.
    So is he?
    When he was six he believed that the moon overhead followed him.
    By nine he had deciphered the illusion trading magic for fact.
    No tradebacks...
    So this is what it's like to be an adult
    If he only knew now what he knew then...
  • Hey J.T.Hey J.T. Posts: 2
    I live in the S.F. Bay Area - so I have a loooong commute each day. Sirius is the only thing that keeps me sane... You need to play around with the different radio stations to fine one that tunes in Sirius the best. For the record I love Hair Nation and Octane..... Octane plays PJ more than the others.
    Mountain View 7/19/92
    San Jose 10/30/93
    Mountain View 10/2/94
    Sac 6/22/95
    S.F. 6/23/95
    San Jose 11/4/95
    Mountain View 10/20/96
    Sac 7/16/98
    Sac 10/30/00
    Mountain View 10/31/00
    Mountain View 10/21/01
    Mountain View 6/1/03
    Mountain View 10/26/03
    S.F. 7/15.7/16,7/18
  • pjambamapjambama Posts: 126
    xm is cool but sirius is cooler. not 2 mention xm and clear channel do buisness together. as far as sound quality i think both sirius and xm r close 2 cd quality. both have plans 2 eventially upgrade the sound once they r making some money instead of losing billions.

i have an old kenwood unit in my house running thru my bose am 7 and i am satisfied with the sound. in my car i have an indash alpine so no need 4 fm transmitter.
  • How do you have it hooked up? Car, Stereo, Boom Box?

I have it hooked up with the home kit so i got an antena outside the house, Im not using the FM transmitter I got it hooked up with the RCA jacks cause im guessing thats gonna be better than going through the fm band, I have tried everywhere possible and the best signal strenght i can get is 6 bars out of 10 bars full on my meter. Anyone get a perfect full bar of strength?

"Gimli,MB 08-14-93"
    "Fargo,ND 06-15-03"
    "Winnipeg,MB 09-08-05"
  • deek74deek74 Posts: 111
    Make sure you set it up to find Pearl Jam songs. If a Pearl Jam song is playing on any station it will alert you. It doesn't matter if your listening to that station or not. In other words if its playing in sirius somewhere it will alert you. Great feature.
    1996 Randals Island NY, Hartford 1998 Hartford, Mansfield I, Mansfield II 2000 Mansfield I, Mansfield II 2003 Mansfield I, Mansfield III 2004 Boston I, Boston II 2006 Boston I, Boston II 2008 Hartford, Boston I, Boston II, Eddie Vedder Boston II 2009 Philly III 2010 Boston 2011 Eddie Vedder Providence, Eddie Vedder Boston 2011 PJ20 I, PJ20 II 2013 Worcester I, Worcester II
  • AnthonyD1987AnthonyD1987 Boston, MA Posts: 347
    This is a great Pearl Jam conversation. Just kidding. I don't have a preference. I would actually rather listen to radio for free, but that's just me. Plus it doesn't hurt that I work at an FM radio station too, therefore my bias towards "terrestrial radio" as one Howard Stern would call it.
    492xxx

2006: Boston 1 and 2
    2008: MSG 1 and 2, Mansfield 1 and 2
    2010: Boston
    2012: Made in America Philly
    the only way i can get near perfect signal strenth is locating the satellite on my roof. just like satellite tv u need to have a good location and u should get near percect strength. u can go 2 http://www.siriusbackstage.com and they usually have some good ideas. also is a cool site 2 check out what channels r playing the music u r into.

what's currently playing http://itson.siriusbackstage.com:8999/

seek which channels r playing which songs http://siriusbackstage.com/songseek.php
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I had XM free for 3 months with my new car. It was decent but I ended up buying an external receiver to listen to Sirius. It blows away XM.
  • alphonse55 wrote:
    I had XM free for 3 months with my new car. It was decent but I ended up buying an external receiver to listen to Sirius. It blows away XM.

I couldn't agree MORE I had XM for two years and switched to Sirius this winter when Howard did and I am 10 times happier with the Sirius programing compared to XM.....
    Rapid City 98
  • bones0138bones0138 Posts: 52
    oh yeah, you gotta love that Oprah...GREAT programming!
  • bones0138 wrote:
    oh yeah, you gotta love that Oprah...GREAT programming!

HA HA no shit let me see the Oprah chanel or Howard 100 & 101!!:D
    Rapid City 98
  • toronado10toronado10 Posts: 239
    Stern is worth every penny I give to sirius.
    Take time to see the sky,
    Find shapes in the clouds.
    Hear the murmur of the wind
    and touch the cool water.
    Walk softly,
    we are intruders,
    tolerated briefly
    In an infinite universe.
  • toronado10 wrote:
    Stern is worth every penny I give to sirius.
    I couldn't agree more Howard 100 & Howard 101 get me thru my 60 hr plus hectic work week!!!
    Rapid City 98
    HA HA no shit let me see the Oprah chanel or Howard 100 & 101!!:D
    i'm a fan, what can i do? i don't need all that dumb shit like the "howard news", but i gotta have the show.
  • PJ013PJ013 Posts: 11
    Stern SUCKS!! He's sucked for the last 10 years. And what does this have to do with Pearl Jam?
  • I just got a Sirius radio and its all hooked up and all, but I thought it would give u cd quality sound, I got the best signal possible, so i guess it won't be cd quality am I right?

It's really not the best sound. I have XM and sometimes the sound sucks but I love it anyway especially since we have crappy radio stations all around pretty much. 47 Ethel is my favorite. They have a Flannel Friday where they play nothing but Seattle music but they play Pearl Jan pretty often all throughout the week. I also like Squizz 48. Seems like Sirius has been getting lots of hype since Howard signed on.
    Who made up, made up the myth
    that we were born to be covered in bliss?
    who set the standard, born to be rich?
    such fine examples, skinny little bitch
    model, role model, roll some models in blood
    get some flesh to stick, so they look like us
    i shit and i stink, i'm real, join the club
  • homeratbathomeratbat Posts: 219
    XM is better than sirius? i guess if you dont love commerical free music thats true! sirius rocks!
    where can u get your pearl jam fix...sirius, xm, am/fm etc
  • homeratbathomeratbat Posts: 219
    PJ013 wrote:
    Stern SUCKS!! He's sucked for the last 10 years. And what does this have to do with Pearl Jam?

stern on sirius is old school stern and he said he wished he could have gone to the IP show in nyc for pj so there is some pj news
  • PJ013 wrote:
    Howard is awesome and it has nothing too with PJ just like thousands of other posts and threads on the board!!!
    Rapid City 98
  • Oh and XM has Air America Radio. Love it.
    Who made up, made up the myth
    that we were born to be covered in bliss?
    who set the standard, born to be rich?
    such fine examples, skinny little bitch
    model, role model, roll some models in blood
    get some flesh to stick, so they look like us
    i shit and i stink, i'm real, join the club
  • homeratbat wrote:
    stern on sirius is old school stern and he said he wished he could have gone to the IP show in nyc for pj so there is some pj news

Howard has said a few times that he is a big fan of PJ
    Rapid City 98
  • freeonefreeone Posts: 24
    possomists wrote:
    shouldve gotten xm buddy. you got second best, not bad, but second best

smoke more whatever it is your smokin if you the xm is better. Look at the subscription base, I think Sirrius triples your xm.
    PJ013 wrote:
    god i wish Iron Maiden didn't charge fans to use their message board, you could say all your dumb shit there!
  • I have had my radio running for all day and i dunno why but it all of a sudden cut out, this is a huge pain in the fucking ass since I already mounted the radio to the outside of the house cause thats where i seemed to get the best reception it worked fine all day why would it all of a sudden cut out like that.

"Gimli,MB 08-14-93"
    "Fargo,ND 06-15-03"
    "Winnipeg,MB 09-08-05"