NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    What a sad story!
  • Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    Just another reason to make sure you keep a very close eye on your baby when you have a dog. Any potential dog owner should know that. If you don't you shouldn't own a dog.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    since I have a daughter, I'm sure i'll never have a dog.
    God, I would kill myself if my daughter is killed by a fucking dog...
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    that's absolutely awful. Can't believe they have to think about whether they put it down or not. It killed a baby for chrissakes! dobermans are vicious creatures. they should not be kept as pets.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    that's absolutely awful. Can't believe they have to think about whether they put it down or not. It killed a baby for chrissakes! dobermans are vicious creatures. they should not be kept as pets.
    a doberman or another dog. If it killed a human the dog must be kiled.
  • Options

Thats so not true at all. Very few domestic dog breeds are "vicious" just for the hell of it. Dobermans make excellent police dogs and search and rescue dogs due to their great noses, keen sense of movement and tenacity. They can also make wonderful family companions, when trained correctly from a young age and given proper excercise. When a dog behaves like this it is due to bad training, abusive caretakers or bad breeding. If people where more careful when getting dogs instead of purchasing dogs from puppy mills or backyard breeders, and then after they take ownership of the dog if they would get it the training it needs, done by a professional trainer in a positive reenforcement environment then situations like this would almost never happen.

No I don't own a doberman, but I work with dogs every single day. It bothers me when people say ignorant things about breeds they obviously know nothing about. I personally have an amazing Flat Coated Retriever that I would leave with any child any day and not think twice about it.
  • Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Julien wrote:
    a doberman or another dog. If it killed a human the dog must be kiled.
    Very true, I'm just pointing out that Dobermans are a particularly bad tempered and notoriously vicious, and should never be kept.

MintGreenGoblin: I've never come across a docile Doberman. I've been attacked by one before and I absolutely hate the things.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    Very true, I'm just pointing out that Dobermans are a particularly bad tempered and notoriously vicious, and should never be kept.

but this one was docile :rolleyes:
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,778
    what a horrible story

my sister had to get rid of her lab because he became too aggressive around the kids
  • Options
    I personally have an amazing Flat Coated Retriever that I would leave with any child any day and not think twice about it.

That's what say every people who has had a dog who once killed someone. The dog's always friendly and then suddenly makes "something bad". It can't be foreseen as for us, human.
    if you kill someone, you will be punished (prison ,etc.). A dog is not punished. It's not normal.
  • Options
    I'm probably going to get flamed here (and a terribly sad story BTW) but I'm one of those people who truly believes that any animal can be nasty from a pitbull to a pug if you raise it poorly without proper training and most importantly LOVE!

I grew up with German Shepards. Who tend to get a bad rap. But we treated them as part of the family, had them trained to listen to us and not once did any of them ever even growl at someone (actually, once but I had a guy follow me into my driveway and harass me so I called Blitzy for help. Little did the man know that he had hip dysplasia so he could only run a few feet but it did the trick!)

And it's also important to know where the dog comes from. What it's bloodline is, what the parents were like. If you take the responsiblity of getting a pet, you MUST take all the steps to ensure it has a good background. And then do the proper training!

This is so sad, it just breaks my heart.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. "
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I saw Hard To Imagine LIVE at MSG!
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    I'm probably going to get flamed here (and a terribly sad story BTW) but I'm one of those people who truly believes that any animal can be nasty from a pitbull to a pug if you raise it poorly without proper training and most importantly LOVE!

I grew up with German Shepards. Who tend to get a bad rap. But we treated them as part of the family, had them trained to listen to us and not once did any of them ever even growl at someone (actually, once but I had a guy follow me into my driveway and harass me so I called Blitzy for help. Little did the man know that he had hip dysplasia so he could only run a few feet but it did the trick!)

And it's also important to know where the dog comes from. What it's bloodline is, what the parents were like. If you take the responsiblity of getting a pet, you MUST take all the steps to ensure it has a good background. And then do the proper training!

This is so sad, it just breaks my heart.
    I always hated German Shepards having been attacked and chased by more than a few in my younger days. I always put them into one big category of violent, ill-tempered dogs who were better off dead.
    One year my parents neighbour and friend went away for a long period of work, so they took her German Shepard to look after and he was a pussy cat. Very nice, friendly dog. Intimidating, yes, but changed my outlook on things.
  • Options
    Julien wrote:
    That's what say every people who has had a dog who once killed someone. The dog's always friendly and then suddenly makes "something bad". It can't be foreseen as for us, human.
    if you kill someone, you will be punished (prison ,etc.). A dog is not punished. It's not normal.

I don't disagree that the dog should be put down. I disagree that all dobermans should be condemned because of a handful of incidents. And there are warning signs that a dog may attack. I am quite sure the owners of the dog ignored whatever signs the animal was letting off that the baby was causing it a great amount of stress. This is as much the fault of the owners as the dog but no one is saying these people don't deserve to ever have children again or that the people should be put down. I am sorry if someone has been bitten by a dog, but you must recognize that it is an individual dog and not a whole breed. Ive been bitten by a Pomeranian, and very few people would describe them as bloodthirsty attack dogs.

My dog is a Canine Good Citizen who has visited both nursing homes and children's hospitals. Hes an excellent therapy dog, and is not keen on attacking anyone I can assure you.
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    That's such a sad story.

One of my neighbours has two dobermanns and they also have two little children (6 and 8 years old), the dogs are great and would never hurt anyone, especially not a family member. But then again, never say never. My aunt has a baby and a dog, also a very friendly dog but she makes sure the dog cannot get near the baby even though the dog has never showed any signs of aggression.

A dog is still an animal and I think as a parent you should be responsible enough to realise that the dog could hurt your baby, no matter how friendly your dog seems to be.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    Slip KidSlip Kid Posts: 1,175
    Now lets all put a bad label on the dog :rolleyes:
    I just don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die.
  • Options
    that trank gun should have been a shotgun
  • Options
    Thats so not true at all. Very few domestic dog breeds are "vicious" just for the hell of it. Dobermans make excellent police dogs and search and rescue dogs due to their great noses, keen sense of movement and tenacity. They can also make wonderful family companions, when trained correctly from a young age and given proper excercise. When a dog behaves like this it is due to bad training, abusive caretakers or bad breeding. If people where more careful when getting dogs instead of purchasing dogs from puppy mills or backyard breeders, and then after they take ownership of the dog if they would get it the training it needs, done by a professional trainer in a positive reenforcement environment then situations like this would almost never happen.

No I don't own a doberman, but I work with dogs every single day. It bothers me when people say ignorant things about breeds they obviously know nothing about. I personally have an amazing Flat Coated Retriever that I would leave with any child any day and not think twice about it.

This is a fucking good way of thinking about this.
    I agree with you
  • Options
    People shouldn't own dogs (especially somewhat aggressive breeds) if they don't put the time and effort into raising/training them correctly, especially if they have kids.

I know people who have dobermans, pitbulls and german shepards who are absolutely wonderful family dogs, but if you want or have a dog like one of those breeds, you have to be aware of their background, and pay special attention to how they are raised and how they act around children.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    That is sad. It seems like a bad situation all around.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    what a horrible story.

until a dog tells me......."i will not bite you or anyone"..........i am cautious.

what really gets me, while i am riding my bike through the park, how many idiots do not even have their dogs on a leash.......fuck them and their inconsiderate ways.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Options
    edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    NY PJ1 wrote:

I thought you would say:
    "another reason not to have a kid!"

lol....

my cousin had dobies that treated her kids like their little babies. maybe the dog was inbred or abused. i don't believe this is the general nature of the dog - like many others have said on this post.
  • Options
    I thought you would say:

lol....

my cousin had dobies that treated her kids like their little babies. maybe the dog was inbred or abused. i don't believe this is the general nature of the dog - like many others have said on this post.

lol noooo i would never say that
  • Options
    I thought you would say:

lol....

or it could have been something just totally random, like maybe the kid had a certain smell on him. who knows? it's a horrible event, but think of all the dobermans that don't murder babies!
  • Options

MintGreenGoblin: I've never come across a docile Doberman. I've been attacked by one before and I absolutely hate the things.

This is not true. I've had 2 of them and they were the best dogs imaginable with regards to temperament.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    or it could have been something just totally random, like maybe the kid had a certain smell on him. who knows? it's a horrible event, but think of all the dobermans that don't murder babies!

the baby touched its paw ,, so the story goes
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312
    i blame the owners or parents it's called supervision or better yet how you brought that dog up ,it's not the dogs fault it's the humans" i'd rather be with an animal " ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    pouch15pouch15 Posts: 436
    The best dog to have that would never ever atack children s the boxer, its a great companion and ave never hurt a child. I love them, dobermans are not a good choice even to owners.
  • Options
    ajedigecko wrote:
    what a horrible story.

until a dog tells me......."i will not bite you or anyone"..........i am cautious.

what really gets me, while i am riding my bike through the park, how many idiots do not even have their dogs on a leash.......fuck them and their inconsiderate ways.

I can't believe how many people who ride bikes don't signal. Fuck those people.

This is a very sad story to read. But you can't judge all breeds of dogs cause of this situation. IMO small children and larger dogs don't mix. Once again very sad story.
  • Options
    ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    I can't believe how many people who ride bikes don't signal. Fuck those people.

This is a very sad story to read. But you can't judge all breeds of dogs cause of this situation. IMO small children and larger dogs don't mix. Once again very sad story.
    i agree.........but your logic does not stand.

when i read a story about a bicycle rider causing the death of an infant because he/she/me did not signal correctly, i will retract my "fuck them" comment.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Options
    ardyardy Posts: 53
    dogs, and children, are not hobbies. you don't just bring them out when you want to show off and then put them away when you're done playing. you don't just shove them to the side when you get tired of them. you don't just pretend they're not there when you're too stupid to deal with the responsibility of having them in the first place.

it will be a great day when people who choose to have children and dogs understand this....
    "Can I ask you a question?" (.....you just did.....)