Options

pet doberman kills 8 month old

13»

Comments

• Options
    I love Dobermans
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
  • Options
    PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    If anyone is really interested....here are the stats about dog bites. Looks to me for the most part....the bigger and stronger the dog the more chance that someone can be killed during an attack. That is why no ankle bitters kill people, but I'm sure they bite more often!

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/breeds-causing-DBRFs.pdf

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Attacks%201982%20to%202006%20Clifton.pdf

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/statistics.html

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • Options
    WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    Thats so not true at all. Very few domestic dog breeds are "vicious" just for the hell of it. Dobermans make excellent police dogs and search and rescue dogs due to their great noses, keen sense of movement and tenacity. They can also make wonderful family companions, when trained correctly from a young age and given proper excercise. When a dog behaves like this it is due to bad training, abusive caretakers or bad breeding. If people where more careful when getting dogs instead of purchasing dogs from puppy mills or backyard breeders, and then after they take ownership of the dog if they would get it the training it needs, done by a professional trainer in a positive reenforcement environment then situations like this would almost never happen.

No I don't own a doberman, but I work with dogs every single day. It bothers me when people say ignorant things about breeds they obviously know nothing about. I personally have an amazing Flat Coated Retriever that I would leave with any child any day and not think twice about it.

Thank you.....I have two dogs and I firmly believe, as you said - bad training, abusive caretakers and poor breeding are what create a bad dog. There are too many stories of a dog killing an infant, a newborn because the parents left the child alone with the dog. At that point, yes the dog has to be euthanized but the true fault lies elsewhere.
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
  • Options
    Whizbang wrote:
    Thank you.....I have two dogs and I firmly believe, as you said - bad training, abusive caretakers and poor breeding are what create a bad dog. There are too many stories of a dog killing an infant, a newborn because the parents left the child alone with the dog. At that point, yes the dog has to be euthanized but the true fault lies elsewhere.

So if/when this happens to you, what will you say? I'm guessing something like "I don't understand....he's never acted out like that before".......it's always the same story.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    So if/when this happens to you, what will you say? I'm guessing something like "I don't understand....he's never acted out like that before".......it's always the same story.

No, it's called I'm a responsible dog owner who doesn't leave my dogs alone with infants or toddlers. My dogs are awesome and listen to commands by me, my family & friends, including my niece and nephews (who are 10 and 9 now) but when the kids were little, my dogs were always at my knee when the kids were at my house or I was at theirs.

I'm not even referencing this thread's article...just another similar sad, sad story. There are too many, one is too many. No, I'm not angry the dog was destroyed, it had to be done. I'm angry that some people can be so ignorant & careless about their kids. Leaving a newborn in their car seat on the livingroom floor unsupervised with a dog is irresponsible, no matter how you slice it, no matter the breed, no matter how well trained. Like I said, I agree the dog has to be destroyed because of it but the parents never should have left the newborn alone with the dog, period.

I work in the insurance industry and people/owners are the biggest reason why insurance companies have black listed certain dog breeds.
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
  • Options
    I'm thinking they had the dog before the kid, so perhaps these people should have thought about that when they decided to have a child. What I'm saying is, they should have found a good home for the dog or been a little more cautious when having an infant and a dog. I don't care about breed the dog is, a dog is a dog. I have a 20 pound Beagle and I wouldn't let her near a baby, she is to hyper. It's not about the breed, it's the humans who have to be responsible. My dad trains K-9 dogs in addition to taking in rescue dogs and finding homes for them. He also has 8 (I think) dogs of his own, including a Wolf/German Shepard. His dogs are very well behaved and would not harm anyone unless they were protecting the family.

It's a sad story, not only for the humans, but for the dog also.
    Opinions are like assholes, everyones got one.

"do gay midgets come out of the cupboard"
    ~CreedDisease~

10/27/06