Options

My songwriting debut as promised....

2»

Comments

• Options
    corycory Posts: 736
    You should have opened the song by saying you were leaving to follow you life's pursuit's, go to the can for a smoke, then 5 minutes later come back and perform.

I did that. Were you there?
    Revive the heart of the heartless...

Why would you start was has no end?
  • Options
    cory wrote:
    I did that. Were you there?

No, but I got a bootleg of the video. It looks like it went over pretty well though, I even saw a pair of mens underwear underneath a few lace bras.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    No, but I got a bootleg of the video. It looks like it went over pretty well though, I even saw a pair of mens underwear underneath a few lace bras.

I asked some of those dudes if they had ever wiped before. Apparently not......So anyway, I took them home with me....the underwear, that is. You know, as souveniers.

• Options
    I just listened to that again and it's really growing on me now. :)
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Fucking top stuff, mate. Seriously.

Are there many open mics in your neck of the woods?
  • Options
    cutback wrote:
    outstanding cory.....although i half expected you to stop mid song and tell everyone to shut the fuck up!.....i would've....;) :D

It's the usual fare of the open mic/pub venue circuit. It toughens you up, though.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    It's the usual fare of the open mic/pub venue circuit. It toughens you up, though.

i demand respect always, fins....:)
  • Options
    cutback wrote:
    i demand respect always, fins....:)

Pete Townshend had the right idea, kicking Abbie Hoffman offstage at Woodstock!

This one's for Cory: me tonight, practicing a song on my 12-string through delay, for my London gigs next week, complete with the odd fluff, and cod-1950s home movie effects:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=22640722
  • Options
    Pete Townshend had the right idea, kicking Abbie Hoffman offstage at Woodstock!

This one's for Cory: me tonight, practicing a song, for my London gigs next week, complete with the odd fluff, and cod-1950s home movie effects:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=22640722

Holy shit Fins! That song was fucking awesome. I mean it dude. I want to make it into a person and have sex with it. The song, not you;)

Great stuff.

That intro is some of the most beautiful stuff I've heard in a while.

• Options
    cory wrote:
    Holy shit Fins! That song was fucking awesome. I mean it dude. I want to make it into a person and have sex with it. The song, not you;)

Great stuff.

That intro is some of the most beautiful stuff I've heard in a while.

Cheers, man. Still working on it!

When are you playing next? Follow any session you can. Every performance will grow in stature, exponentially. Maybe the next stage is to get a band!

I need a band. I want Jeff and Matt, if they're free. :D
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    as always, good work, fins.....:)
  • Options
    Cheers, man. Still working on it!

When are you playing next? Follow any session you can. Every performance will grow in stature, exponentially. Maybe the next stage is to get a band!

I need a band. I want Jeff and Matt, if they're free. :D

My friend owns a studio in Michigan. I may go up there and lay that song down in it's complete version. That was the first time I had ever played it live. It felt good though.

As far as live shows, I think I'm playing next Tuesday. Usually 5 song sets with about 10 acts or so.

• Options
    cory wrote:
    My friend owns a studio in Michigan. I may go up there and lay that song down in it's complete version. That was the first time I had ever played it live. It felt good though.

As far as live shows, I think I'm playing next Tuesday. Usually 5 song sets with about 10 acts or so.

First time? You did well, man. You know, there are certain venues where even if you've written a million songs, supported God and made a thousand platinum albums, even if you played your very own Purple Rain, those fuckers aren't gonna shut up and are going to talk louder when you get louder.

This is the most crucial advice I can give you. Don't worry about them. The trick is to get to know the people on sound, however rudimentary the PA system is. It's worth buying them a beer. Even without a soundcheck, on an open mic night, if you can establish a good relationship with them, they can make you sound good because they'll put the effort in for you.

If you hear yourself coming through live, you can work with your sound. If it sounds good, then eventually, when you get a nice venue, you've not only got a great audience but something to present to them. It's a bit like starting out playing a shit guitar, getting over the blisters, working on a tone, and then picking up a better guitar and finding you've cracked it. Spend your time in these first sessions getting to know the way you sound in a room full of people, before working the crowd!

Top stuff again, Cory!

:)
  • Options
    First time? You did well, man. You know, there are certain venues where even if you've written a million songs, supported God and made a thousand platinum albums, even if you played your very own Purple Rain, those fuckers aren't gonna shut up and are going to talk louder when you get louder.

This is the most crucial advice I can give you. Don't worry about them. The trick is to get to know the people on sound, however rudimentary the PA system is. It's worth buying them a beer. Even without a soundcheck, on an open mic night, if you can establish a good relationship with them, they can make you sound good because they'll put the effort in for you.

If you hear yourself coming through live, you can work with your sound. If it sounds good, then eventually, when you get a nice venue, you've not only got a great audience but something to present to them. It's a bit like starting out playing a shit guitar, getting over the blisters, working on a tone, and then picking up a better guitar and finding you've cracked it. Spend your time in these first sessions getting to know the way you sound in a room full of people, before working the crowd!

Top stuff again, Cory!

:)

Thanks for the advice Fins. I appreciate it. And really, I don't even pay attention to those people talking because I do the same shit most of the time when I'm not playing (but that's because I've heard fucking Sweet Home Alabama and Freebird 26,000 times);)

Maybe we'll headline Lollapolooza one day......not likely, but maybe....:)

• Options
    cory wrote:
    Thanks for the advice Fins. I appreciate it. And really, I don't even pay attention to those people talking because I do the same shit most of the time when I'm not playing (but that's because I've heard fucking Sweet Home Alabama and Freebird 26,000 times);)

Maybe we'll headline Lollapolooza one day......not likely, but maybe....:)

Not the sponsored tent. The sponsored swearing tent, maybe. :D
  • Options
    Harmonics + delay = a happy place
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    I had just completed this version of Against the Sun that day. I've worked with it over the past couple of days and tightened it up quite a bit. I was still uncomfortable with playing it and remembering the lyrics. A few of you have heard the finished version aside from it being in a studio and I'm pretty proud of it.

• Options
    nice job cory....

its better than anything off riot act............
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    nice job cory....

its better than anything off riot act............

It's not better than when the last song fucking ends;)

• Options
    cory wrote:
    It's not better than when the last song fucking ends;)
    hope your family had a great thanksgiving....

i ate like a pig yesterday.....came home slept 12 hours.....woke up and went right back to my moms for leftovers.....hehehehehe
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,626
    it takes a lot of guts to get up on that stage and do what you do.

you should be proud, well done.
    Nice shirt.
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    I Wish I Could Here You
  • Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    awesome! you are very talented...great song! :)
  • Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    not bad for a guy who's retired. :D

go cowboys!
    I love to turn you on