Options

I can't for the life of me gain weight!

LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
I'm 29 years old, 5'11" and only weight about 156 right now. Isn't my metabolism supposed to be dieing right now? I eat and eat and eat, tons of carbs, protein, beer, wings, more beer, huge breakfast, big lunch, big dinner, more food and beer before I go to bed.. If I had to guess, 3000+ calories a day. All I want to gain is 10 pounds.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    I'm 29 years old, 5'11" and only weight about 156 right now. Isn't my metabolism supposed to be dieing right now? I eat and eat and eat, tons of carbs, protein, beer, wings, more beer, huge breakfast, big lunch, big dinner, more food and beer before I go to bed.. If I had to guess, 3000+ calories a day. All I want to gain is 10 pounds.

My best friend is exactly like you. Except 3 years older. He eats just as much as me drinks 5 times the beer as I do, works out less than me. I can gain 10 lbs in a week easy, and I can lose 5 lbs a week if I diet and workout.

I think you're just cursed. Although I did have one friend who used to eat fast food for every meal between the age of 16 and 26 and he finally started to gain weight a couple of years ago, but not much.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    GraySaturdayGraySaturday Posts: 2,878

oh boy, your problem makes me so sad for you... ;)

Dude, on that diet, I'd gain about 500lbs.

Protein shakes? Eat bananas, peanut butter... Bananas are sneaky little buggers, they seem like they'd be heathly, no? oh righttt.. those, give me a butt.. seriously..
  • Options
    Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876

Start taking Prednisone you'll gain weight..J/K

You might start when you hit your 30's

I was like you hovering around 160-170lbs..now Im 185lbs at age 32

Plus I got Married they say that adds weight "Newlywed Ten"
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Options
    My best friend is exactly like you. Except 3 years older. He eats just as much as me drinks 5 times the beer as I do, works out less than me. I can gain 10 lbs in a week easy, and I can lose 5 lbs a week if I diet and workout.

I think you're just cursed. Although I did have one friend who used to eat fast food for every meal between the age of 16 and 26 and he finally started to gain weight a couple of years ago, but not much.
    My ex-roommate/best friend is built exactly like me in bone structure only a few inches shorter.. Living with him I would eat twice as much as he did, except he weighed more than me. He's about 10 lbs over weight, I'm about 10 pounds under weight.
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    My ex-roommate/best friend is built exactly like me in bone structure only a few inches shorter.. Living with him I would eat twice as much as he did, except he weighed more than me. He's about 10 lbs over weight, I'm about 10 pounds under weight.

That's me. I was 82 pounds in jr high. then high school I bulked up to 145. Now I hover around the 175 - 185 mark. When I gain weight it's usually from eating like creamy soups (chowder, etc) , non-whole wheat bread and soda. I would think load up on sugar, white bread, soda, and clam chowder you'll be set. :)
    NERDS!
  • Options
    Start taking Prednisone you'll gain weight..J/K

You might start when you hit your 30's

I was like you hovering around 160-170lbs..now Im 185lbs at age 32

Plus I got Married they say that adds weight "Newlywed Ten"
    I hope so. My goal is to be around 165. No less than 160, no more than 170. I never thought it would be so hard to gain 4 lbs. I can practically eat 4 lbs of food in one sitting, but I just crap it all out a few hours later. lol.
  • Options
    I hope so. My goal is to be around 165. No less than 160, no more than 170. I never thought it would be so hard to gain 4 lbs. I can practically eat 4 lbs of food in one sitting, but I just crap it all out a few hours later. lol.

Do you exercise or do cardio ?

Even riding a bike would burn calories daily

If you do run that would slow you down as far as weight gain

• Options
    On another note, this can't be all genetic because my brother is my same height and weights 25 lbs more than me, and he's over 4 years younger than me!
  • Options
    Do you exercise or do cardio ?

Even riding a bike would burn calories daily

If you do run that would slow you down as far as weight gain
    I run 20 to 30 minutes every other day. I want to gain weight, but I also want to be healthy.
  • Options
    pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Start pumping iron, muscle weighs more than fat
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Options
    I run 20 to 30 minutes every other day. I want to gain weight, but I also want to be healthy.

Hit the gym

Do some weight training

Cardio is good but add in some lifting

• Options
    Start pumping iron, muscle weighs more than fat
    lol, I have. I can bench 245. I'm small, but strong. I don't want to spend half my day on an Arnold Swartzenegger workout.. I usually do slow push-ups with my feet on a chair. All I ask is just to gain a few pounds!
  • Options
    Hit the gym

Do some weight training

Cardio is good but add in some lifting
    I do pull-ups and push-ups with my feet on a chair. I don't have the time or patience to build my body proportionally with equipment.
  • Options
    I'm telling you, the key is bananas..
  • Options
    I'm telling you, the key is bananas..
    I have one with breakfast every day.. should I start eating 2 a day? lol.
  • Options

My husband knew a guy who wanted to lose weight, so he thought he would be good by eating a banana because bananas are fruit right.. so he ate one every meal, along with other food ofcourse, and he gained 20lbs in 2 months...
  • Options
    My husband knew a guy who wanted to lose weight, so he thought he would be good by eating a banana because bananas are fruit right.. so he ate one every meal, along with other food ofcourse, and he gained 20lbs in 2 months...
    Interesting.. What is in bananas that make you gain weight? Maybe I'll start eating one at every meal.
  • Options

Found this on the Banana theory

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071211130017AAzWyPK

• Options
    http://www.davedraper.com/gain-weight.html

notice the part about bananas and peanut butter.. man, I'm so smart...
  • Options
    http://www.davedraper.com/gain-weight.html

notice the part about bananas and peanut butter.. man, I'm so smart...
    Nice! I do have peanut butter just about everyday, mixed nuts.. I'm about to open a bottle of red wine and some cheese! My before bedtime snack. :D
  • Options
    TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431

I'm kind of in the same boat in which it is much easier for me to lose weight than put it on. Eating a ton of ice cream and fast food will put weight on temporarily, but once I stop gorging then it goes away pretty quickly. The best solution for me when I want to gain weight is to start eating a TON of protein (Whey, eggs, fish, etc.) and then working out 4x a week with free weights to build muscle. Once you put the 10 lbs. of muscle on it takes a lot longer to go away, than if you were to add 10 lbs. of fat and let your metabolism eat it away.
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • Options
    bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
    Eat a lot of food late at night every night for a month. I guarantee you'll be 180 in no time. In the mean time, you want some of my excess fat.
    11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09
  • Options
    bigbadbill wrote:
    Eat a lot of food late at night every night for a month. I guarantee you'll be 180 in no time. In the mean time, you want some of my excess fat.
    The pitchers of IPA, beer nachos and buffalo wings from Goose Island every other night haven't done much yet.. Nothing more than interesting mornings. :D
  • Options
    If you don't mind doing some reading.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbinfo.php?page=MassGainDiets

Gaining weight means gaining muscle. You can't gain (proper) weight unless you're lifting.

I'd drop the cardio altogether, hit the weights 4 - 5 days a week, and make sure you're taking in enough protein - about 1.5 grams (or more) per lb of bodyweight eaten throughout the day in around 5 - 7 meals.

Once you gain some mass (after a few months) take up the cardio again with your new form. You're still going to be hitting your lungs pretty hard with the strength training with only 30 seconds of rest between tough sets of no stopping for about 40 mins.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    ahhhhhhhhhhh, i used to be like that. *sigh* i long for those days! :p

i think for some, gaining weight is just as challenging as how difficult it is for others to lose. you are who you are. as long as you are healthy, be happy. :) besides, our culture looks with a more positive eyeon those of the thinner variety, so be thankful you don't have the opposite problem which is tougher on your health and self-esteem. good luck on the gain plan tho!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    The pitchers of IPA, beer nachos and buffalo wings from Goose Island every other night haven't done much yet.. Nothing more than interesting mornings. :D

Dude, those nachos from Goose Island are so yummy! Especially with Chicken.. stick with that diet, it worked for me ;)

How I miss those nachos
  • Options
    you can have some of mine.

I love how guys are always complaining they can't gain weight and most women just pack it on if they eat one cookie. seriously I went from working out 6 days/week to working out 4 days/week and I gained 40 lbs. I eat 1500-2000 calories per day, work out most days, walk everywhere, drink a gallon of water each day and I just gain and gain...
  • Options
    Slip KidSlip Kid Posts: 1,175
    i could stand to lose a couple of lbs
    I just don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776

dude... i am the exact same way. 25 years old, 5'10 about 160. i cant gain for the life of me. i just say it's better to be this size, than OVER weight.
  • Options
    you can have some of mine.

I love how guys are always complaining they can't gain weight and most women just pack it on if they eat one cookie. seriously I went from working out 6 days/week to working out 4 days/week and I gained 40 lbs. I eat 1500-2000 calories per day, work out most days, walk everywhere, drink a gallon of water each day and I just gain and gain...
    Women have less muscle than men. Muscle burns a lot more calories, even when it is resting.