Options

I can't for the life of me gain weight!

2»

Comments

• Options
    Women have less muscle than men. Muscle burns a lot more calories, even when it is resting.

yeah I know, that's why I'm constantly trying to build muscle. My ex-boyfriend was always yelling at me like "why do you lift it just makes you heavier" but it's like yeah der, it makes you heavy in a good way.

plus I dunno, I think sometimes with women it's like your body thinks it needs to protect a fetus or something.
  • Options
    Interesting.. What is in bananas that make you gain weight? Maybe I'll start eating one at every meal.
    No food or combination of foods make you gain weight.

What makes you gain weight is eating more calories than you're burning. That's it. Once you're getting enough calories, you will put on weight. Then you need to decide how much of those calories should come from protein/carbs/fat.
  • Options
    Saturnal wrote:
    No food or combination of foods make you gain weight.

What makes you gain weight is eating more calories than you're burning. That's it. Once you're getting enough calories, you will put on weight. Then you need to decide how much of those calories should come from protein/carbs/fat.

this is not ENTIRELY true. people are starting to study differences in people's stomach flora and how nutrients are broken down to explain differences in weight gain. Futhermore anxiety, sleeping, hormones etc. can also play a role.

the thing is to understand the way different nutrients are used by the system (and understand your own body).

As for bananas, they don't *make* you gain weight. They are high on the glycemic index, which means that they contain mostly sugars that the body burns really fast. When you burn high glycemic foods quickly, you get hungrier afterward, making you eat more (and usually crave more high glycemic foods) and thus gaining weight. Low glycemic foods contain proteins, fats, and fibers that the body uses more slowly.

This is why if you are running a marathon you snack on a gummy bear when you are running out of steam- it is a quick boost of energy.
  • Options
    this is not ENTIRELY true. people are starting to study differences in people's stomach flora and how nutrients are broken down to explain differences in weight gain. Futhermore anxiety, sleeping, hormones etc. can also play a role.

the thing is to understand the way different nutrients are used by the system (and understand your own body).

As for bananas, they don't *make* you gain weight. They are high on the glycemic index, which means that they contain mostly sugars that the body burns really fast. When you burn high glycemic foods quickly, you get hungrier afterward, making you eat more (and usually crave more high glycemic foods) and thus gaining weight. Low glycemic foods contain proteins, fats, and fibers that the body uses more slowly.

This is why if you are running a marathon you snack on a gummy bear when you are running out of steam- it is a quick boost of energy.
    Sure, where your calories come from, amount of sleep, stress, etc. all play a role in your BMR. However, it is true that you have to eat more calories than you're burning to gain weight. I've never read any study that would say that's not the case.