Options

office christmas parties

1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,841
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
It's my first tonight. (I graduated from college in May). Open bar. Might be bad news. However, I'm going to try to not be "that guy," and do naked karaoke or something. Anyone have any horror stories? Are the parties that bad as they seem like they're gonna be?
2003 Mansfield III 
2004 Boston I 
2006 Boston I 
2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
2010 Hartford 
2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
2018 Boston I, Boston II 
2021 Sea.Hear.Now
2022 Camden
2024 Boston I, Boston II
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    just don't shag anyone that you work with (or their wife or girlfriend).....and if you make a drunken fool of yourself, prepare to hear about it for as long as you work there.....even when a year has gone by and you think its done, its time for the next christmas party, and somebody brings up what you did the year before.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    It wasn't me. (I swear, I would admit if it was.) But I had a co worker get so fucked up one year, she passed out in the bathroom on a bench that you might use if you were waiting your turn for the potty. I walked in and she way laying there and SOME GUY WAS GOING THROUGH HER PURSE!!! Not her husband either or anyone we knew. He kind of looked at me all shocked. I'm sure I had the same look because he was a guy in the ladies room. He just kind of stammered on himself and threw everything down and ran out. We never did find him.

Another time, and this was me...I was in a car of the parking lot of the restaurant our party was at. A group of us were smoking pot in the car. That was pretty f-ing stupid. I mean, my boss was only about 20 feet away and I'm sitting there just firing one up like I was invisible. Thank God he never came out.
  • Options
    HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,148
    Another time, and this was me...I was in a car of the parking lot of the restaurant our party was at. A group of us were smoking pot in the car. That was pretty f-ing stupid. I mean, my boss was only about 20 feet away and I'm sitting there just firing one up like I was invisible. Thank God he never came out.

maybe your boss would of appreciated you sharing ......perhaps this could of led to a promotion! ;)
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Options
    Hawkshore wrote:
    maybe your boss would of appreciated you sharing ......perhaps this could of led to a promotion! ;)

damn. hindsight is 20/20.
  • Options
    Only get drunk if boss gets drunk, most of time the boss won't drink but will remember everything you say, oldest trick in world.
  • Options
    stoneddude wrote:
    Only get drunk if boss gets drunk, most of time the boss won't drink but will remember everything you say, oldest trick in world.

lol nice nick...
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    scot88scot88 Posts: 217

at one christmas party, the owner of the store i worked at, and several of the managers, asked me if i had any weed so we could all smoke it.
  • Options
    seriously, just watch out for the open bar. Luckily my first 2 christmases out of college I lived with my parents in the suburbs, so I had to drive home from the party. If you do start drinking a lot just make sure you stick to hanging out with your other young coworkers and don't decide it's a good idea to hob-nob with the vice presidents.
  • Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    oh God, when I was 18 (1977) and was working part time, I was at my first work christmas party. married people were sitting on each other's laps, making out.
    I was disgusted and they played games like we did in sixth grade. It's very different now at work. Our parties are very boring, lol...we drink very little.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    scot88 wrote:
    at one christmas party, the owner of the store i worked at, and several of the managers, asked me if i had any weed so we could all smoke it.

sounds like the type of people that really should be running a business.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    just had one last night at a fancy restauant - filet mignon, cheesecake, open bar - my 3 favorite foods!!! :D
  • Options
    I had 3 Guinness pints before the appetizers came, then 3 more before rib eye, two while eating, then ordered some weird blueberry dessert thing, passed , and went for some cognac followed by 2 more Guinness....yeah, I was lit
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • Options
    ardyardy Posts: 53
    two years ago the office manager invited the entire staff (about 20) to her lavish, fancy home for a christmas party. her husband was the bartender, we pretty much could ask him for anything and he could make it. i left early due to babysitter issues but the party was going strong well after midnight. this one coworker (in her 50s) got so drunk she fell off her barstool, and fell in the kitchen and dropped/broke a favorite cocktail glass (according to the husband). then, they stupidly let her leave..to drive home. she proceeded to take out a row of mailboxes, ended up in their neighbor's yard taking out a few small trees, ending up in the ditch where she got stuck and then ran her car so hard trying to get out that she wrecked her tires, left a rut into the ground a foot deep, seizing up her engine. the office manager had to drive her home (thank god) and she had to return in the morning with her husband to have her car towed. it cost her a crapload of money to get her car fixed and was super embarrassed about what happened. obviously she didn't get the message because this year at thanksgiving, her daughter invited her over to meet the fiance's parents. she got so drunk again, she passed out with a faceplant in her dinner plate at the table.

open bars can be bad.
    "Can I ask you a question?" (.....you just did.....)
  • Options
    It's my first tonight. (I graduated from college in May). Open bar. Might be bad news. However, I'm going to try to not be "that guy," and do naked karaoke or something. Anyone have any horror stories? Are the parties that bad as they seem like they're gonna be?

Office Party Dont's

http://careerplanning.about.com/od/workplacesurvival/tp/party_donts.htm
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    iluvcats wrote:
    oh God, when I was 18 (1977) and was working part time, I was at my first work christmas party. married people were sitting on each other's laps, making out.
    I was disgusted and they played games like we did in sixth grade. It's very different now at work. Our parties are very boring, lol...we drink very little.
    :eek:

Where have all the good times gone....sigh.
    Everyone is so serious these days.
    When I was working in a regional theatre we used to have a party every year that was headed up by the technical director. There was always a cage suspended from the ceiling that would always have some topless dancing.
    It was alot of fun. Luckily I was working in a theatre and it was actually looked upon highly. :p
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    make sure you eat before you start drinking, even if that means eating before you get there.

i had a bad experience with karaoke too. avoid it like the plague my friends.
  • Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    I love these office party horror stories! I don't have any or any worth mentioning.

Keep em coming!!!
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776

#2 is hilarious!

"Jim (or Jane) from accounting may suddenly look a lot more appealing under bar lights than cubicle lights."

haha, good shit.

i have my holiday party next weekend, and years prior my girlfriend and i have had a great time. i work with a pretty young crowd, and everyone just wants a night out to enjoy themselves over a few drinks.
  • Options
    Well the first one came and went, and it went very good. Had a lot of free food and drinks, along with the nice bottles of wine that were on the table, but not so much that I was plastered. (The people hookin up in the coat room definitely were though!) Thanks all for your fun stories, keep em comin.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    Well the first one came and went, and it went very good. Had a lot of free food and drinks, along with the nice bottles of wine that were on the table, but not so much that I was plastered. (The people hookin up in the coat room definitely were though!) Thanks all for your fun stories, keep em comin.

man, maybe it's just my line of work, but I can't imagine people ever "hooking up" with coworkers.
  • Options
    man, maybe it's just my line of work, but I can't imagine people ever "hooking up" with coworkers.

I dunno if it was hookin up, but they were definitely up to no good in there.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    upina2001upina2001 Indiana Posts: 764
    last year was the first time I ever blacked-out ever, at the age of 30,....just so happened I was at my office x-mas party.

Our receptionist did back bends and proceeded to fall over in front of the company president and everyone..........i know that's not funny, but considering when she wears a skirt she doesnt wear any panties; that makes it pretty exciting. :D

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)

• Options
    i am 39 years old and i will be attending my first *office* christmas party ever this year! granted, i've attended many work functions, including holiday parties.....but all were teaching and/or retail related......sooo different. usually during the workday, and no alcohol! :(

luckily i've alread attneded about 3 work parties thus far....this group likes to party! :p and all pretty big affairs, good times! i am really looking forward to the christmas party! so far all the parties have been in pretty swank restaurants/bars......great food/drinks....and a lot of fun!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    My office Christmas party is Saturday. I'm a little nervouse, since we have a live band, myself and a couple of co-workers decided it would be fun to play a song with them. It could be scary, we don't get to practice together much (and it will also be the first time we've ever played with this drummer). Hopefully everything goes well, if not, well hey, at least people will get a laugh out of it.
    Show me potato salald!!!
  • Options
    Ours is tomorrow night. Every year, someone has too much to drink and that person remains firm legend for the rest of their tenure. Here are a few samples:

Dirty dancing with a partner's wife

Drunken conga line late in the evening

Face plant in the boiled shrimp plate

And, of course, the year that 11 of our number got stopped by the local police in a road block and got a trip to the pokey....

So...diet coke for me!
    The Daystar

"But --you say that Dreams have no power here? Tell me, Lucifer Morningstar...Ask yourselves, all of you...What power would hell have if those here imprisoned were not able to Dream of Heaven?" Dream speaking to Lucifer as written by Neil Gaiman.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,448
    MY firm has an office party next week at some Brazilian restaurant......every year, the party consists of some people gossiping, but mostly, people just struggle to make small talk with the person next to them. I really have nothing in common with most of my coworkers (bookkeepers and other CPAs) so I just usually sit there with a few of the peeps I like and whisper to them about how annoying most of the people are. I don't know why people feel the need to talk about the most mundane topics.

Then again, maybe I am just grouchy cuz its a Monday!
  • Options
    mine's at 6 pm today! i am really looking forward to it! :D as i said, earlier..it's actually my very first *real* office holiday party...and it is at a VERY swank restaurant/bar.....looks spectacular! also, i am off for the next 6 days, so i can FULLY enjoy it all tonight! ;) haha.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    don't get fired at your ocp.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,448
    brain of c wrote:
    don't get fired at your ocp.

and more importantly, don't let your ocd cause a fire
  • Options
    We just had ours Last Sunday

They rent out Dave & Buster's at the Franklin Mills Mall in Philly

This year it was from 1-8pm all the games are free,bowling,pool tables and food

They gave away over $10,000 in prizes of course I didn't win anything :(

It's a good time though all the NFL games are on as well
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers