Options

Scotland

124»

Comments

• Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    i'm antiquing... :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    thanks for golf and logarithms you crazy bastards.
  • Options
    bee_boybee_boy Posts: 384
    I should've been born Scottish. I'm in love with your country :D
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    I'd love to visit Scotland some day........

but you really SHOULD thank America for PJ :p
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options

Scotland's a big place amigo... they never conquered ALL of Scotland :)

didnt they recently find roman coins and stuff in southern Ireland? * see below *

anyway... they never conquered Ireland as they never attacked it, they continually attacked Scotland but could never defeat her... ahhh what do you care.. you're from Cambridge :p

Generally in Ireland, Roman material is rare and found in different contexts from the native La Tene material. No roads have been identified as being Roman, and no large Roman settlements have been found. However in the southeast of Ireland, where native material is rare, Roman-style cemeteries and large quantities of Roman artifacts have been found.

A group of burials on Lambay Island, off the coast of County Dublin, contained Roman brooches and decorative metalware of a style also found in northern England from the late first century. However this could represent, for example, Brigantes fleeing reprisal from the crushed revolt of 74.

Three places in Ireland have all produced early and late Roman archaeological material: the midland ritual complex of Tara, the northern hillfort of Clogher, and Cashel, in the south. Tara and Clogher have no native finds of similar age, and the name "Cashel" is thought to derive from the Latin castellum. Each of the three became capital of a new kingdom, and each kingdom's traditions place their origins in Britain. British settlers whose arrival would explain those traditions could have been either supported by, or fleeing from, Roman influence.

At Drumanagh, 25 km north of Dublin, a large (200,000 m²) site was identified in 1995[update] as possibly Roman. Consisting of a peninsula defended by three rows of parallel ditches on the landward side, the site appears to have been a port or bridgehead.

Roman coins have been found at Newgrange. [4]

Roman cultural influences can be seen in the "penannular brooch" (incorporating a ring that is interrupted by a gap) used to fasten Irish cloaks in the 4th through 11th centuries, which is traced to a style of Romano-British brooch, the early medieval Irish sword, which is traced to the Roman spatha,

sounds like Ireland was Rome's bitch ;)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    dunkman wrote:
    Scotland's a big place amigo... ;)

Scotland ain't so big. The roadless wilderness of Idaho (my backyard) is bigger than all of Scotland. Don't worry, from what I hear, what you lack in size you make up for in drunkeness.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    eyedclaar wrote:
    Scotland ain't so big. The roadless wilderness of Idaho (my backyard) is bigger than all of Scotland. Don't worry, from what I hear, what you lack in size you make up for in drunkeness.

and your country is full of fat idiots who can't say herbs properly... your point? ;):)
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    dunkman wrote:
    and your country is full of fat idiots who can't say herbs properly... your point? ;):)

Be careful, taking jabs at Americans will only make me happy. One day, I imagine I might have to hunt those fat idiots for food, so I'm hoping they don't change.

And why even have an "h" if you aren't going to use it? Do you say ippopotamus too?
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:

I love it when people in the Pit use smileys to soften the severity of a direct offense ;)
  • Options
    jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    bee_boy wrote:
    I love it when people in the Pit use smileys to soften the severity of a direct offense ;)

I noticed that. BTW, Scotland lost at football tonight to a bunch of long haired, horse eating, invasion monkeys ;):)
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • Options
    jamie uk wrote:
    I noticed that. BTW, Scotland lost at football tonight to a bunch of long haired, horse eating, invasion monkeys ;):)

there is no greater nation to lose to... in fact... they would not ever want to defeat God's team.. England try... but we grant Argentina victory... we are ever indebted to them!
  • Options
    This isn't one of those chain emails going around is it?

snopes? lol
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    there is no greater nation to lose to... in fact... they would not ever want to defeat God's team.. England try... but we grant Argentina victory... we are ever indebted to them!

So... I heard Butcher won't shake Maradona's hand. Why wouldn't you want to shake the hand of God?
  • Options
    stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    I think the hand of god goal is funny, and enjoy watching England teams get pumped, even though i have nothing personally against English people. However, i found the interviews with grown Scottish men in Church of Maradona t-shirts saying how they 'worshipped' Maradona because of that goal highly embarrassing. He should be admired for being one of the greatest footballers ever, but no matter how funny the goal was jesus christ please get a life of some sort.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • Options
    bee_boy wrote:
    So... I heard Butcher won't shake Maradona's hand. Why wouldn't you want to shake the hand of God?

because Butcher is English.. and Diego used his hand to score a goal against the England team Butcher was playing in.

plus Butcher is an atheist ;)