Options

Scotland

Comments

• Options
    GLASGOW is simply the best in Britain. It has been voted the UK's top city destination for foreign tourists ahead of Edinburgh and London.
    The accolade comes from US lifestyle magazine Conde Nast Traveller - a glitzy holiday guide read.

Its celebrity readers have voted in their droves to place Glasgow top of their A-list .
    Magazine chiefs say Scotland's biggest city triumphed because of its people, its hospitality and its vibrant nightlife.

Other attractions wooing the tourists are Glasgow's free galleries and museums. Kelvingrove is the favourite while the city's shopping - the best outside London - has long been a plus factor for overseas visitors.

Glasgow picked up Conde Nast Traveller's top award in London last night.
    Councillor Alex Mosson, chairman of Glasgow City Marketing Bureau, said: "Winning an award of this calibre is testament to the incredible progress made in changing visitor perceptions of the city since the launch of the Glasgow: Scotland with Style campaign in March, 2004."
  • Options
    stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    GLASGOW is simply the best in Britain. It has been voted the UK's top city destination for foreign tourists ahead of Edinburgh and London.
    The accolade comes from US lifestyle magazine Conde Nast Traveller - a glitzy holiday guide read.

Its celebrity readers have voted in their droves to place Glasgow top of their A-list .
    Magazine chiefs say Scotland's biggest city triumphed because of its people, its hospitality and its vibrant nightlife.

Other attractions wooing the tourists are Glasgow's free galleries and museums. Kelvingrove is the favourite while the city's shopping - the best outside London - has long been a plus factor for overseas visitors.

Glasgow picked up Conde Nast Traveller's top award in London last night.
    Councillor Alex Mosson, chairman of Glasgow City Marketing Bureau, said: "Winning an award of this calibre is testament to the incredible progress made in changing visitor perceptions of the city since the launch of the Glasgow: Scotland with Style campaign in March, 2004."

Was the european city of culture a few years back as well, and held the european cup final a couple years ago also. Not been doing too bad recently actually.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • Options
    merlynmerlyn Posts: 179
    my god, i think a point has been made ! that's why i'm moving up scotland in the next year or so cos scottish take no shit oh & property's cheap!:)
    champagne for my real friends & i'm a real pain for my sham friends.. ;)
  • Options
    stu gee wrote:
    Was the european city of culture a few years back as well, and held the european cup final a couple years ago also. Not been doing too bad recently actually.

Hampden is holding the UEFA cup final this year too ;)
  • Options
    merlyn wrote:
    my god, i think a point has been made ! that's why i'm moving up scotland in the next year or so cos scottish take no shit oh & property's cheap!:)

True on both counts :) Well it depends where in Scotland? But yeh in general property is cheaper
  • Options
    Klumpie wrote:
    Scotland rules. Great people. Only 1 thing: they talk very weird English, no offense :)

LMAO!!! :D:D That cracked me up :D
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    I work in a call centre part time while im at university and can tell you that some English people speak even weirder English!!

I dont have a clue what some of the people im talking to are saying lol
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • Options
    Couldnt be bothered starting a new thread so just thought id post in this one that Glasgow won the race to hold the Commonwealth Games in 2014 today. I suppose its good for the city, not sure how much difference it will make to the city despite how we are told it means great things.

Dont mean to be negative but hopefully the money it costs to hold this kind of thing wouldnt have been better spent on much needed regeneration, particularly in the area where its meant to be held, which is Parkhead right down to Dalmarnock and surrounding areas. Been speaking to people about the area of the East End of Glasgow, its already quite like a commonewealth village, with people wandering about in tracksuits, out of breath, full of drugs and struggling to speak proper English, so perhaps its quite an appropriate setting.

Lol, no offence to people of the east end, only kidding.
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    They're alright. Apart from the Prods. :p
  • Options
    I love the Scottish, I found the ones I know are always friendly and funny - once I understand what they are saying.
  • Options
    They're alright. Apart from the Prods. :p

I hate the orange order and all that stuff, but im not bothered about what individual people are as long as they are sound with me. Got best friends from both backgrounds.

In other news, Celtic Park is hosting the opening ceremony while Rangers are hosting the Rugby 7's. lololol

Apparently Celtic Park is going to be upgraded in the run up to it as well. There is also a massive upgrade of the subway planned, which will reach way out into the eastend instead of the way it is just now, which is just around the centre, west and southside.
  • Options
    ah jaysus, IN my most humble of opinions... I reckon that Scottish inventions are right up there with abortion and failed relationships in the 'we fucking KNOW already' category :cool:

:p
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    Scottish inventions make the world go round.
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    ah jaysus, IN my most humble of opinions... I reckon that Scottish inventions are right up there with abortion and failed relationships in the 'we fucking KNOW already' category :cool:

:p

:D
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    stu gee wrote:
    I hate the orange order and all that stuff, but im not bothered about what individual people are as long as they are sound with me. Got best friends from both backgrounds.

In other news, Celtic Park is hosting the opening ceremony while Rangers are hosting the Rugby 7's. lololol

Apparently Celtic Park is going to be upgraded in the run up to it as well. There is also a massive upgrade of the subway planned, which will reach way out into the eastend instead of the way it is just now, which is just around the centre, west and southside.

I was jokin', 'cos I know amentvedder is a Rangers supporter.
  • Options
    I was jokin', 'cos I know amentvedder is a Rangers supporter.

Yeah i know that. I also know Rangers got pumped midweek while Celtic won. lol
  • Options
    scotland is the 2nd best country in the world.. only beaten by Narnia
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    scotland is the 2nd best country in the world.. only beaten by Narnia
    IF by 'Narnia' you mean 'Ireland' well you COULD be right... otherwise you're talking through your arse :p
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    ah dinnae ken whit any wee bastard is oan aboot if he thinks Alba is a fuckin' person.

I love Scotland. I generally dislike the idea of patriotism when it's any other country, mainly because only we have anything to be proud of :D
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    amentvedderamentvedder Posts: 3,610
    stu gee wrote:
    people wandering about in tracksuits, out of breath, full of drugs and struggling to speak proper English

Just described Parkheid on matchdays! :D

I'm an east ender (don't support my local team) I was hoping the commonwealth village would have to be built on top of my house, offer me loads of money and I'm off to Mount Vernon

lol
  • Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838
    Just back from a few days in Scotland ... couple of days were in Glasgow ... and to go with earlier parts of the thread ... we noticed that central Glasgow smells mainly of chippies :o:p

Also got to spend part of my train journey back yesterday with Dons fans on their way to the Hearts game ... spent the whole journey drinking and discussing how they couldn't get lifted and end up in court again or they'd lose their jobs (they had jobs :eek: )... as we pulled out of Waverley (where they had gotten off) they were being greeted by the polis :D ... can't say I was too disappointed when I saw they got drubbed.
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Options
    Just described Parkheid on matchdays! :D

I'm an east ender (don't support my local team) I was hoping the commonwealth village would have to be built on top of my house, offer me loads of money and I'm off to Mount Vernon

lol

Govan is hardly any better!

Ive seen some of the plans for the village, looks really cool. Hope its worth it.
  • Options
    Scotland V Italy this Saturday, must beat them to guarantee qualification for Euro 2008. It's do or die, do or die :D

[size=+3]C'MONA SCOTLAND!!!!!!![/size]
  • Options
    Im sceptcial but hopeful at the same time. Whatever happens we have done ourselves proud. If i was told that we would qualify if we won our last game after being drawn in the same group as France, Italy and Ukraine i would not have believed it. Im going to get very drunk all day so that whatever happens im happyish, but if they win ill be over the moon. Going to be in the town from about 12pm, the city centre will be absolutely jumping!
  • Options
    stu gee wrote:
    Im sceptcial but hopeful at the same time. Whatever happens we have done ourselves proud. If i was told that we would qualify if we won our last game after being drawn in the same group as France, Italy and Ukraine i would not have believed it. Im going to get very drunk all day so that whatever happens im happyish, but if they win ill be over the moon. Going to be in the town from about 12pm, the city centre will be absolutely jumping!

Your right to go at that time and get a good spot. I'll be doing the same and I plan on getting something to eat and pacing myself :) Everybody is buzzing. They've done us proud already.
  • Options
    Chime wrote:
    Just back from a few days in Scotland ... couple of days were in Glasgow ... and to go with earlier parts of the thread ... we noticed that central Glasgow smells mainly of chippies :o:p

Also got to spend part of my train journey back yesterday with Dons fans on their way to the Hearts game ... spent the whole journey drinking and discussing how they couldn't get lifted and end up in court again or they'd lose their jobs (they had jobs :eek: )... as we pulled out of Waverley (where they had gotten off) they were being greeted by the polis :D ... can't say I was too disappointed when I saw they got drubbed.

I know what you mean, I get that chippy smell when I think of central station. :D

Love to see Scaberdeen getting beat
  • Options
    Ill be going out on Friday as well, setting my alarm for 11am saturday and just getting up and going for it again though. Probably not the best Monday to be starting a new job but shit happens!!
  • Options
    IF by 'Narnia' you mean 'Ireland' well you COULD be right... otherwise you're talking through your arse :p

get the fuck oot o' this thread... :)

if i meant Ireland i would have said "RagNBoneLand"

we must beat Italy.. we absolutely must!!!! :o
  • Options
    We still go through if we draw and then Ukraine beat France in Ukraine. Id rather we just went out and hammered Italy though, easy. Dont know where im going to watch it. Watched the last few games in Coopers in the westend but might go into the centre as the place will be jumping. Going to wear my old France 98 Scotland top, the nicest one they've ever worn.
  • Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838
    I know what you mean, I get that chippy smell when I think of central station. :D

Love to see Scaberdeen getting beat

One of the times I really noticecd it was going down to the Low Level :D ... it became a bit of a running joke as at first it was a throw away comment 'oh I smell chips' ... then you'd walk somewhere else and it'd be 'I think I smell vinegar' ... never noticed it like that before :p

Will be wanting Scotland to go through :)
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?