Options

Scotland

amentvedderamentvedder Posts: 3,610
edited November 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
I love my American and worldwide friends but last week a guy actually said to me - Scotland? hah who is Scotland and that i should be thankful to America for Pearl Jam. Of course i realise not everyone is so arrogant but i'm proud and thought i'd print this little list..knowledge is the bomb :)

Scotland Inventions

adhesive postage stamps

anaesthetics

antisepsis

artificial diamonds

reaping machine

Bank of England

latent heat

Brownian movement

Buicks

chemical bonds

penicillin

the decimal point

documentary films

Encyclopedia Britannica

engineering sciences

fax machines

first cloned mammal

flailing machines

geosciences

golf

historical novels

hypodermic syringes

Kelvin scale

percussion powder

logarithms

Maxwell's equations

marmalade

mackintosh raincoats

macadamized roads

microwave ovens

colloid chemistry

breech-loading rifle

tubular steel

quinine

Sociology

pneumatic tyres

pink bathtubs

hollow pipe drainage

Peter Pan

radar

paleobiology

polarization

cure for scurvy

King Arthur

Halloween

refrigerators

Neptune

bakelite

iron bridges

solitons

the steam engine

telephones

thermos flasks/dewars

the telegraph

television

the stereotype

sulphuric acid

the steam-hammer

cure for insomnia

paraffin

Sherlock Holmes

Toad of Toad Hall

Long John Silver

Jekyll and Hyde

Auld Lang Syne

Whisky

US Navy

Chilean Navy

Economics

Cloud Chamber

Mathematical & Financial

Logarithms

The Bank of England

Capitalism

The overdraft

The decimal point

Technological

The threshing machine

The gravitating compass

Street lighting

The steam engine

The pneumatic tyre

The pedal bicycle

Tarmacadam (the modern road surface)

The locomotive

The bus

The telegraph

The thermos flask

The telephone

The gas mask

Colour photographs

The lawnmower

Television

The fax machine

The photocopier

Video

The kaleidoscope

Scientific

Theory of combustion

Electric light

Geology

Gardenias

Helium

Radar

Neon

Artificial ice

Dolly, the cloned sheep

Medical

The hypodermic syringe

Anaesthesia

Morphine

Antiseptics

Insulin

Penicillin

Interferon

The thermometer

Ante-natal clinics

Sport

Golf

Curling

Shinty

Tennis courts

The bowling green

Electronic

The alpha chip

Blue lasers

Kerr Lens Modelocking techniques

Everyday Items

Marmalade

Writing paper

The fountain pen

Postcards

The Mackintosh (aka raincoats)

Suspenders

Miscellaneous

Finger-printing

Encyclopaedia Britannica

Documentary films

The traffic cone

Sherlock Holmes
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    Scotland rules. Great people. Only 1 thing: they talk very weird English, no offense :)
  • Options
    Klumpie wrote:
    Scotland rules. Great people. Only 1 thing: they talk very weird Enlish, no offense :)

haha, me personally i speak Glaswegian, even the Scottish struggle to understand us :D
  • Options
    Only some us speak weirdly, as far as I'm concerned I don't have an accent. Bet Leeann has a neddy accent cos she's a Gers fan :) So when are we going for our pint - or coke if you're not drinking these days?
    scottish by birth, british by law and 'weegie by the grace of god...!!!!! FUCK THE QUEEN!!!
  • Options
    Glaswegian wrote:
    Only some us speak weirdly, as far as I'm concerned I don't have an accent. Bet Leeann has a neddy accent cos she's a Gers fan :) So when are we going for our pint - or coke if you're not drinking these days?

Aye man cany deny that :D Chico? am there, a'll have a pint a wife beater tae seeing am a ned x
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    big list....Suspenders.....big list cont.

out of all those inventions, suspenders is the only one that makes me genuinely 'proud' ;):o
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    Pearl JuliPearl Juli Posts: 1,213
    haha, I like the weird accent. And I say that being an Argentine with a weird accent of my own ;) lol.

Was that for real? Did someone really not know what Scotland is? :o

But yeah, some people are extremely narrow minded or ignorant about anything outside their own little town...to a point that becomes scary! haha.
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: 2008-06-11

♪ Juli ♪
  • Options
    Aye man cany deny that :D Chico? am there, a'll have a pint a wife beater tae seeing am a ned x

Are you back on the sauce again? did you not tell me you were off it? I'll happily buy you a pint or ten. When do you become a free lady?
    scottish by birth, british by law and 'weegie by the grace of god...!!!!! FUCK THE QUEEN!!!
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Klumpie wrote:
    Scotland rules. Great people. Only 1 thing: they talk very weird Enlish, no offense :)

if i knew what Enlish was then i'd answer... personaly i speak Lowland Scots... invented before eh... cheese... or was it marzipan... ach who cares :)

ach i dinnae ken if ye can hear whit am sayin or no... but yer lugs are fair burnin ya daft eejit :)

thats how i speak... when i'm drunk i add a 'sh' in there now and again to add colour and variety... Sean Connery does it when sober!
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    Peter CPeter C Posts: 238
    You forgot Sean Connery,Ewan McGreger and........Wet Wet Wet
    London 1996 Cardiff 2000 Paris 2006 and London 2007.
  • Options
    if i knew what Enlish was then i'd answer... personaly i speak Lowland Scots... invented before eh... cheese... or was it marzipan... ach who cares :)

ach i dinnae ken if ye can hear whit am sayin or no... but yer lugs are fair burnin ya daft eejit :)

thats how i speak... when i'm drunk i add a 'sh' in there now and again to add colour and variety... Sean Connery does it when sober!

When I'm drunk...well I don't talk about that.
  • Options
    But this is the most important scottish invention
    TRAINSPOTTING
    (the book and the movie)
  • Options
    out of all those inventions, suspenders is the only one that makes me genuinely 'proud' ;):o

Toad of Toad Hall has me strutting like a peacock :D
  • Options
    Pearl_Juli wrote:
    haha, I like the weird accent. And I say that being an Argentine with a weird accent of my own ;) lol.

Was that for real? Did someone really not know what Scotland is? :o

But yeah, some people are extremely narrow minded or ignorant about anything outside their own little town...to a point that becomes scary! haha.

I think it was more just a case of trying to patronise me either that or he really is the thickest person alive lol

It's even speaking to people on Myspace i started to realise, god some people do think Scotland is a city in England! :eek:

Everyone is proud of their own country, that's how it should be i just think for the size of nation Scotland is to make such significant things deserves emmm me to make a big long list :D
  • Options
    I think it was more just a case of trying to patronise me either that or he really is the thickest person alive lol

It's even speaking to people on Myspace i started to realise, god some people do think Scotland is a city in England! :eek:

Everyone is proud of their own country, that's how it should be i just think for the size of nation Scotland is to make such significant things deserves emmm me to make a big long list :D

hahaha :D

and what a long list it is...lol :D I didn't know the Scotish invented so many things! kudos to your homeland girl! :D

♪ Juli ♪
  • Options
    Pearl_Juli wrote:
    hahaha :D

and what a long list it is...lol :D I didn't know the Scotish invented so many things! kudos to your homeland girl! :D

Don't believe every word of Scottish people
  • Options
    What about the Scotsman suicide bombers on Monty Python?

"Local Hero" is a great advertisment for Scotland. As is Big Country.

I will come to visit you in your beautiful country. Just send me a plane ticket.
    I have klonopin, so I'll be comatose during the flight.
  • Options
    Klumpie wrote:
    Don't believe every word of Scottish people

Julz! Thankyou :)

And like Kilumpie says don't take my word for it, feel free to look it up as facts speak for themselves.

Klumpie you think we are weird, but we think you's guys are weird. 1 minute everything is cool the next you are saying our fans are idiots? yesterday it was i didn't know any South American teams? Karma said me talking football was like an old ladies teaparty?? We could see this as cheeky, insulting, sexist ..but i never have, bec you's are nice guys and i don't think you mean any malice, we just get cross wires?? i think. You's blow very hot and cold i never know where i am with you's to be honest
  • Options
    Julz! Thankyou :)

And like Kilumpie says don't take my word for it, feel free to look it up as facts speak for themselves.

Klumpie you think we are weird, but we think you's guys are weird. 1 minute everything is cool the next you are saying our fans are idiots? yesterday it was i didn't know any South American teams? Karma said me talking football was like an old ladies teaparty?? We could see this as cheeky, insulting, sexist ..but i never have, bec you's are nice guys and i don't think you mean any malice, we just get cross wires?? i think. You's blow very hot and cold i never know where i am with you's to be honest

Nevermind Amentvedder, I think all is a communication fault. I never said that you guys are idiots, see my post in your other thread.

Then a old ladies teaparty isn't a term of abuse. But in Dutch it means something different then you understand.
  • Options
    Klumpie wrote:
    Nevermind Amentvedder, I think all is a communication fault. I never said that you guys are idiots, see my post in your other thread.

Then a old ladies teaparty isn't a term of abuse. But in Dutch it means something different then you understand.

Of course i understand and it's cool. I hope you understand too, we are not weird, it's just the words n stuff you use mean different things in English. We can all be tolerable of each other yeh and different languages

by the way, i like your new sig ;);)
  • Options

Damn it's gone ! lol
  • Options
    Klumpie wrote:

I would take the "old lady tea party" comment to mean that the thread has been taken over by girls...just as in America someone would say "this has become a sausage fest" when there are too many guys in a place and no girls??? :)

♪ Juli ♪
  • Options
    Of course i understand and it's cool. I hope you understand too, we are not weird, it's just the words n stuff you use mean different things in English. We can all be tolerable of each other yeh and different languages

I hope it's all good now. Because I never want to be rough to anybody. But my English is worse and your Dutch is even worser :p. So we could never communicate on a very good way.

Thank you for compliment and go Glascow Rangers and I hope Scotland will be on the European Championship 2008. :)
  • Options
    qwerty1qwerty1 Posts: 142
    There is a book called something like "How Scotland conqured and ruled the World", and its essentially how Scots and people of Scottish heritage, invented and inovated so many things today we take for granted. TV and standardized time being 2 of the most important.

BTW born in Toronto, but fully of Scottish heritage!
    This sidewalk is for regular walking, not for fancy walking!
  • Options
    Pearl_Juli wrote:
    I would take the "old lady tea party" comment to mean that the thread has been taken over by girls...just as in America someone would say "this has become a sausage fest" when there are too many guys in a place and no girls??? :)

No a old tea lady party = in a topic about football, not talking about football.

And a saugage = het zal mij een worst wezen.
  • Options
    Klumpie wrote:
    No a old tea lady party = in a topic about football, not talking about football.

And a saugage = het zal mij een worst wezen.

Ohhhh! ok...makes sense now.

♪ Juli ♪
  • Options
    Pearl_Juli wrote:

haha

2 ladies speaking about football and a guy comes and says this is like "an old ladies tea party" is slightly condesending, don't you think?? Firstly, less of the old :p Anyway i never took it that way i took it in good nature and joked back. I have since found out it's dutch for boring conversation or similar. We had sorted it out long ago, wot made me mention it is Klumpie saying we are weird, we're not, to any British person i imagine they'd have seen it same as me.

Funnily enuff i understand "sausage fest" perfectly well :D
  • Options
    Damn it's gone ! lol

Yes, you said you didn't like it. And now you like it. I will chance it.
  • Options
    qwerty wrote:
    There is a book called something like "How Scotland conqured and ruled the World", and its essentially how Scots and people of Scottish heritage, invented and inovated so many things today we take for granted. TV and standardized time being 2 of the most important.

BTW born in Toronto, but fully of Scottish heritage!

kissmascottisharsebu4.jpg

That is also a good read. OH CANADA ..i have family in Toronto :) Isn't that always the case hehe i will visit 1 day and soon i hope
  • Options
    Klumpie wrote:
    Yes, you said you didn't like it. And now you like it. I will chance it.

I like it alot :D
  • Options
    I like it alot :D

hehe finally, we get each other :p:D