Options

Saving your first kiss for marriage.

Comments

• Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    Woah! Apparently they were in a hurry to get to that first kiss! Their engagement was short...they're already married!! :D

http://www.ja20.com/
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    You watched the Duggars last night, too?!!! SOOOO interesting! Joshua seemed SOOOO young (which he is), nervous and inexperienced when he "proposed".

That family scares the living hell out of me.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:
    That family scares the living hell out of me.

Why? They're good people...just really conservative in their morals and values. Their kids are polite, intelligent and well-spoken. While I'm the first to admit that their children are indeed sheltered is that necessarily such a bad thing??

I started a thread awhile back about this exact thing:

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=294565

• Options
    stu gee wrote:
    I watched that virgin daughters programme on tv a while back and all the fathers were trying to get their daughters to save their first kiss for marriage. One of them ended up getting pregnant though which must have been fun breaking the news to her parents lol.

I suppose they could come back with 'well you only said that it was kissing that was forbidden.'

Was funny though, one of the over protective fathers had about 12 kids with many different women.
    I guess there are many dads who would have this rule if they thought they could get away with it :D

If it's the kids decision for whatever reason though... well, fuck it, I'm a dirty slut... who am I to judge? :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    nick1977nick1977 Posts: 327
    This is very strange.

And the stranger thing is....my first girlfriend had this same rule about no kissing until marriage. Obviously that relationship did not last long....about as long as the first time I tried to kiss her! Talk about a boost to my self esteem (I was in 9th grade). That really threw my for a loop.

I read an article in my local paper about another couple who did this same thing. Apparantly it is the new "conservative Christian" fad. True love waits is not enough.....now no kissing! Yikes! Talk about a lot of rules these kids have to live up to.

About the oldest Duggar child getting married! This is too funny. Poor girl is in for a looooooong ride. What do you bet she is pregnant by the end of the year.....then she and her uncle/aunt will be the same age. Weird!

This story is fascinating. It gets more and more bizare!
  • Options
    nick1977 wrote:
    This is very strange.

And the stranger thing is....my first girlfriend had this same rule about no kissing until marriage. Obviously that relationship did not last long....about as long as the first time I tried to kiss her! Talk about a boost to my self esteem (I was in 9th grade). That really threw my for a loop.

I read an article in my local paper about another couple who did this same thing. Apparantly it is the new "conservative Christian" fad. True love waits is not enough.....now no kissing! Yikes! Talk about a lot of rules these kids have to live up to.

About the oldest Duggar child getting married! This is too funny. Poor girl is in for a looooooong ride. What do you bet she is pregnant by the end of the year.....then she and her uncle/aunt will be the same age. Weird!

This story is fascinating. It gets more and more bizare!
    I am totally and completely fascinated with the Duggars (the same way I am with LDS and polygamists)

• Options
    londonwprlondonwpr Posts: 293
    So, there are people out there that take part in courtships. My husband had a friend that did this. They only allowed themselves to hug each other until their wedding night, where they shared their first kiss (behind closed doors after the ceremony). I'm also watching a new special on the Duggar family (the family with 17 kids) and its a courtship special, and they are talking about how they are saving their first kiss for marriage. And they have to have chaperons on all dates. And the chaperons have to be of a certain age too.

I'm a little freaked out by this whole concept.. Not a single kiss until marriage.. I can't wrap my head around that.

Did you notice how annoying the excess hand holding became? No matter what they were doing, they kept holding hands. I wonder if when one of them uses the toilet, if the other one has to stand there and hold hands while they do the deed? Before, they'd need a chaperone for this activity, but now they can do it alone since they're married.
    7/8/95, 6/26/98, 6/27/98, 8/17/98, 8/18/00, 8/20/00, 8/21/00, 10/8/00, 10/21/00, 6/16/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 6/24/03, 10/3/04, 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/20/06, 6/24/06, 6/30/06
  • Options
    xscorchoxscorcho Posts: 409
    i dont see what the big deal is if somebody wants to wait for a kiss, sex or whatever else until marriage......
  • Options
    ive only come across a handful of bad kissers in my kissing career... but if i had married one of those girls before realizing that i would be pretty upset... its always those people that refuse to get a divorce for religious reasons too... so if the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th base is no good then youre just shit out of luck

cant say i really get it... in fact id go as far as to say its completely stupid

what do these non kisser do when theres an awkward silence?? think of something to say?? OUTRAGEOUS
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    GraySaturdayGraySaturday Posts: 2,878
    londonwpr wrote:
    Did you notice how annoying the excess hand holding became? No matter what they were doing, they kept holding hands. I wonder if when one of them uses the toilet, if the other one has to stand there and hold hands while they do the deed? Before, they'd need a chaperone for this activity, but now they can do it alone since they're married.

I did notice that! My husband was like, do you think they are super glued at the hands? It was a little over the top. He couldn't even eat normally because his hand was stuck to hers.

I don't know, I mean hell, they seemed super happy, and that family in general seems to be so loving and content, so I mean.. whatever works right? It's just SO different then my own life, or what you hear about on tv/movies/other people's lives...

I just can't imagine that. I mean it just seems so awkward to me, but thats because its not my life. I'm sure they'd think that putting on some high heels with nothing else and getting down and dirty is awkward.. but you know.. different strokes for different folks? Literally...
  • Options
    I did notice that! My husband was like, do you think they are super glued at the hands? It was a little over the top. He couldn't even eat normally because his hand was stuck to hers.

I don't know, I mean hell, they seemed super happy, and that family in general seems to be so loving and content, so I mean.. whatever works right? It's just SO different then my own life, or what you hear about on tv/movies/other people's lives...

I just can't imagine that. I mean it just seems so awkward to me, but thats because its not my life. I'm sure they'd think that putting on some high heels with nothing else and getting down and dirty is awkward.. but you know.. different strokes for different folks? Literally...
    I guess there are entire cultures with much bigger populations than our own to whom that's normal. To me it seems crazy but we all have different ideas and beliefs so if that's what makes them happy, so be it :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    londonwprlondonwpr Posts: 293

They do seem happy. My only concern is that they're so young. They haven't experienced much at all and they're already married? Seems pretty quick to me. I'm sure they're shagging like crazy now that they're married!
    7/8/95, 6/26/98, 6/27/98, 8/17/98, 8/18/00, 8/20/00, 8/21/00, 10/8/00, 10/21/00, 6/16/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 6/24/03, 10/3/04, 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/20/06, 6/24/06, 6/30/06
  • Options
    londonwpr wrote:
    They do seem happy. My only concern is that they're so young. They haven't experienced much at all and they're already married? Seems pretty quick to me. I'm sure they're shagging like crazy now that they're married!

I got married sorta young, so I guess I can't dog them for that. It doesn't seem like dating around is really encouraged in that life style, so hopefully choice #1 is the right one. I don't mean this in a bad way, but it SEEMS like they live a simpler life and maybe that cuts down on the problems because stresses are lower?

Thats my sociology lesson for the day. It's probably way off track.
  • Options
    muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Why? They're good people...just really conservative in their morals and values. Their kids are polite, intelligent and well-spoken. While I'm the first to admit that their children are indeed sheltered is that necessarily such a bad thing??

I started a thread awhile back about this exact thing:

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=294565

It seems kind of creepy the way the childrens lives have to adhere to a strict schedule. If they're happy with that then great but it always makes me a little uncomftable hearing about stuff like this. I can guarantee you there are going to be a few rebels in that family.

I think been sheltered is a bad thing. I think most parents 'shelter' their kids to some extent, with good intentions. And I assume that the Duggars have nothing but good intentions as well. But these kids are going to get a real shock when they grow up and leave home. I hope they're prepared for that.

And is it possible for a woman to have that many children? Surely it must put a strain on her, to the point that it's life threatening?
  • Options
    muppet wrote:
    It seems kind of creepy the way the childrens lives have to adhere to a strict schedule. If they're happy with that then great but it always makes me a little uncomftable hearing about stuff like this. I can guarantee you there are going to be a few rebels in that family.

And is it possible for a woman to have that many children? Surely it must put a strain on her, to the point that it's life threatening?
    I'm Irish... so that kinda family isn't exactly abnormal :o
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I'm Irish... so that kinda family isn't exactly abnormal :o

Sorry, I wasn't trying to say that large families are bad or anything (I'm half Irish myself).

Seems like this family is pretty well off, so it's a good thing they can actually support these kids.
  • Options
    muppet wrote:

I think been sheltered is a bad thing. I think most parents 'shelter' their kids to some extent, with good intentions. And I assume that the Duggars have nothing but good intentions as well. But these kids are going to get a real shock when they grow up and leave home. I hope they're prepared for that.

I believe that most children live under some sort of a schedule. I'm a nanny and the kids have a set schedule from the time they're a month old. Of course it's flexible as needed, but why do you think the Duggar's schedule is stricter than any other family's? Of course they homeschool so they have to fit that in, but even "regular" kids have a schedule at school!

As for the stress a pregnancy causes on the body...I'm not going to defend or support her in that...I've never been prego and I'm not a doctor so I really can't argue it either way.

• Options
    muppet wrote:
    Sorry, I wasn't trying to say that large families are bad or anything (I'm half Irish myself).

Seems like this family is pretty well off, so it's a good thing they can actually support these kids.
    Oh no, I didn't take offense... just pointing out that it's relatively normal (well everybody would know a couple of large families) here... I know it's not in the States! I've no idea why anyone would wanna go through that myself though!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    Here's what they have to say in regards to their "strict" schedule. I personally see nothing wrong with it:

How do you make a household of 19 people run smoothly? What is a typical day in your lives?

Our #1 goal is to lead our children to seek a close relationship with God & give Him every area of their lives. We purpose to start each day with a family Bible study, reading a chapter of Proverbs that corresponds with the day of the month. We have heart to heart talks with each of the older children regularly. We try to keep up with their attitudes & actions.

We desire for each child to develop a learning spirit & a servant's heart that looks for opportunities to serve others. It is a joy to see our children becoming best friends. If they can learn to treat their brothers and sisters like they want to be treated, then they can learn to get along with just about anyone along life's way.

We try to begin our daily routine with personal hygiene (get dressed, brush teeth, comb hair, etc...). Each older child has a younger buddy (or two) that they help. We eat breakfast & read the Proverb of the day at 8:00AM, then we "quick clean" the house (older child & their buddy work together to clean their jurisdictions).

Throughout the day we try to pickup as we go along, but naturally things tend toward disorder. So, it is a constant training process with "quick clean" times throughout the day. At 9:00AM, the older children help their buddies with their studies in phonics, math, violin & piano (J-O-Y- Jesus first, Others second, & Yourself last!). Then the older children start their music & individual studies - Math, English, Spelling & Typing.

We break for lunch around 12PM. Often one of the older children help prepare lunch & we all help cleanup. After lunch we work to finish individual studies.

Around 1:30PM the little ones go down for naps (4 & under). Momma & older children gather around the table at 2:00PM for Wisdom Booklet group studies - science, history, law, medicine - part of our ATIA curriculm. We work on one subject until we complete the study. We also review & memorize scripture, hymns & operational definitions of character qualities. The children especially enjoy this because they make up motions to help with memorization.

At 4:00PM, we break from group study to complete individual studies, otherwise this is free time. Dinner is scheduled for 5:00PM. Some of the older girls prepare dinner & everyone helps cleanup. We do another "quick clean" of the house after dinner & then have free time. Some may still be finishing up music, seeing we have to take turns on the pianos with 11 students! 8PM is snack time. Then we start getting ready for bed (baths, brush teeth, pick out clothes for the next day).

9:00PM is Bible time with Daddy. This is probably our favorite time of day. Daddy reads the Bible & we discuss the passage together. We talk about the day & bring out points of how to apply what we have learned. We enjoy making up skits & acting out examples of right responses & wrong responses. Often our little ones will fall asleep as Daddy begins Bible time, still they love to be with us at this special time. Bedtime falls around 10:00PM.

We have a master schedule of each family member's responsibilities displayed on our kitchen wall. This idea came from the Maxwell's, "Managers of Their Homes". For each month, we also have individual daily checklists which cover schoolwork, chores, music lessons, & personal hygiene. These were designed by Daddy so we could see at a glance how each child is doing. These checklists enable us to keep our children accountable & also reward them accordingly.

We have goals, but then we have reality! We are learning to practice flexibility -Not setting our affections on ideas or plans which could be changed by God or others! Sometimes we have "Daddy Days" when Daddy overrides the schedule and takes the children out for family time, a field trip or a service project. We try to make each day fun. Everyday is an exciting adventure!

• Options
    I believe that most children live under some sort of a schedule. I'm a nanny and the kids have a set schedule from the time they're a month old. Of course it's flexible as needed, but why do you think the Duggar's schedule is stricter than any other family's? Of course they homeschool so they have to fit that in, but even "regular" kids have a schedule at school!

As for the stress a pregnancy causes on the body...I'm not going to defend or support her in that...I've never been prego and I'm not a doctor so I really can't argue it either way.

I am a firm believer in scheduling. Often I've found in work (as a nanny too) that I am the constant in the child's life, and being juggled around from caregivers, schools, activities, and parents - often leads a child to crave a schedule. I have found with Harrison that he thrives off of scheduled activity. While I am of course flexible, we do our best to stick to a general guideline of time flow. In my opinion, children learn their autonomy from example and learning to balance activities from example. If I never showed Harrison how to schedule himself with homework, play, dinner, bath - he'd be a dirty, hungry, tired little boy, who played himself to death. But, since we've built this understanding of responsibility and understanding of the importance of moderation he now takes it upon himself to schedule his afternoons with guidance from me.

I know some people live by the seat of their pants, but I also believe that the ability to that comes from a deep understanding of living a scheduled lifestyle. Once you understand how to schedule and live by a general rule - then you can break away from that. Without an understanding and early development of autonomy, we'd all be a wreck.

and after all that blabber, it's summed up by saying that I think the Duggars have done their children a great service by scheduling so detailed for them. I have no doubt that they will all be productive and active members of their community. This assumption isn't based off of the content of their schedule, per say, but more or less the drive to stick by it, and create a fully functioning society within the walls of their home.
  • Options

and after all that blabber, it's summed up by saying that I think the Duggars have done their children a great service by scheduling so detailed for them. I have no doubt that they will all be productive and active members of their community. This assumption isn't based off of the content of their schedule, per say, but more or less the drive to stick by it, and create a fully functioning society within the walls oftheir home.

Agreed 100%

Also, it should be noted that Joshua Duggar (the newlywed) owns two of his own companies, one of which is a political consulting firm....and he's only 20 years old!

http://www.ja20.com/ourstory.html
    "Meet Josh - Josh was raised in Arkansas, the first child born to Jim Bob & Michelle Duggar. He accepted Christ at the age of seven, was homeschooled and graduated from High School at the age of sixteen. His father entered politics in Arkansas in 1998, serving two terms as a State Legislator in the Arkansas House of Representatives. Josh became interested in politics and now does part-time consulting for elected officials and political candidates with a small company he founded in Arkansas in 2006, Strategic Political Services. In 2003 the Duggar family filmed their first show with the Discovery Health Channel called, “14 Children and Pregnant Again!” after its premiere it became the top rated show for the network. Having now done over 5 documentaries with DHC and TLC (The Learning Channel), the Duggar family is now working on a reality series set to premiere in October dubbed, “17 Kids & Counting!” In 2007, Josh started a pre-owned wholesale car dealership in Northwest Arkansas, Champion Motorcars. He now manages the dealership full time with his brother John. He also pursues other various entrepreneurial adventures as time allows. His parents are releasing the first book about their family in early December entitled, “The Duggar Family: 20 and Counting.” His father is a commercial real estate investor and full-time father of soon to be 18 children. Josh and Anna have a house in Fayetteville where they will reside, once married."

• Options
    Agreed 100%

Also, it should be noted that Joshua Duggar (the newlywed) owns two of his own companies, one of which is a political consulting firm....and he's only 20 years old!

http://www.ja20.com/ourstory.html
    "Meet Josh - Josh was raised in Arkansas, the first child born to Jim Bob & Michelle Duggar. He accepted Christ at the age of seven, was homeschooled and graduated from High School at the age of sixteen. His father entered politics in Arkansas in 1998, serving two terms as a State Legislator in the Arkansas House of Representatives. Josh became interested in politics and now does part-time consulting for elected officials and political candidates with a small company he founded in Arkansas in 2006, Strategic Political Services. In 2003 the Duggar family filmed their first show with the Discovery Health Channel called, “14 Children and Pregnant Again!” after its premiere it became the top rated show for the network. Having now done over 5 documentaries with DHC and TLC (The Learning Channel), the Duggar family is now working on a reality series set to premiere in October dubbed, “17 Kids & Counting!” In 2007, Josh started a pre-owned wholesale car dealership in Northwest Arkansas, Champion Motorcars. He now manages the dealership full time with his brother John. He also pursues other various entrepreneurial adventures as time allows. His parents are releasing the first book about their family in early December entitled, “The Duggar Family: 20 and Counting.” His father is a commercial real estate investor and full-time father of soon to be 18 children. Josh and Anna have a house in Fayetteville where they will reside, once married."

I guarantee you that he is much more mature than other 20 year olds.

These folks are doing a good job of raising their kids. But it is the cultishness of it all that is a bit freaky. I'm sure the children are well behaved, responsible, etc. But the "courting," whatever that is, and the not kissing until marriage, and their overly strict religious guidelines are odd. But that is the beauty of this country. We are free to believe as we want, raise our children according to those beliefs, and pursue happiness, however we may define that.

As far as scheduling, good God, I wouldn't want to live with that many people if I weren't on a tight schedule. It would be mass chaos.

Another point....if he lives by the financial guidelines his parents taught him, he probably bought the house debt free with money he has made from his businesses. I don't know how these people do it.
  • Options
    stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    I guess there are many dads who would have this rule if they thought they could get away with it :D

If it's the kids decision for whatever reason though... well, fuck it, I'm a dirty slut... who am I to judge? :D

Yeah I can understand the fathers a bit, although in most places it would be difficult to manage keeping your daughter pristine. Would be difficult having daughter for sure, don't know how I'd cope, as I know how a guy thinks!
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • Options
    nick1977 wrote:

These folks are doing a good job of raising their kids. But it is the cultishness of it all that is a bit freaky. I'm sure the children are well behaved, responsible, etc. But the "courting," whatever that is, and the not kissing until marriage, and their overly strict religious guidelines are odd.

As far as scheduling, good God, I wouldn't want to live with that many people if I weren't on a tight schedule. It would be mass chaos.

Another point....if he lives by the financial guidelines his parents taught him, he probably bought the house debt free with money he has made from his businesses. I don't know how these people do it.

The house he has, they explained is a property that has been in their family, and was a rental property of their grandparents. Which is nice, you know.. if your family has spare houses sitting around.

I did like how Michelle and Jim Bob, the parents were saying that they aren't forcing this courting thing down their throats. Apparently the children determine the level of "courtship" they want to take part in. Michelle admits that her and Jim Bob saved sex for their wedding night, but they did kiss. They are proud of Josh and his choices, and wished they had done the same. The other children chime in at one point too, and say that Josh and his fiance, I forget her name, made these rules, and want the chaperons to help them stick to it.

My husbands friend who did this too, his family was NOT into religion or anything. He found this himself and joined up. His family had nothing to do with the whole courtship idea.
  • Options
    nick1977 wrote:

These folks are doing a good job of raising their kids. But it is the cultishness of it all that is a bit freaky. I'm sure the children are well behaved, responsible, etc. But the "courting," whatever that is, and the not kissing until marriage, and their overly strict religious guidelines are odd.

Dude, you won't get me to argue the fact that their lack-of-dating ritual is strange. In their obsurd way of looking at "courtship" you end up engaged (and therefore married) to someone you don't know...it's almost an arranged marriage of sorts. Although, of course he chose his fiance...but being that his (and their!) social circle is so constricted he really hasn't had many options as far as chicks are concerned.

• Options
    The house he has, they explained is a property that has been in their family, and was a rental property of their grandparents. Which is nice, you know.. if your family has spare houses sitting around.

I did like how Michelle and Jim Bob, the parents were saying that they aren't forcing this courting thing down their throats. Apparently the children determine the level of "courtship" they want to take part in. Michelle admits that her and Jim Bob saved sex for their wedding night, but they did kiss. They are proud of Josh and his choices, and wished they had done the same. The other children chime in at one point too, and say that Josh and his fiance, I forget her name, made these rules, and want the chaperons to help them stick to it.

My husbands friend who did this too, his family was NOT into religion or anything. He found this himself and joined up. His family had nothing to do with the whole courtship idea.

That is interesting. I'm going to have to watch this show.

What is even more facinating than their lives is the fact that they are so open about everything. I wouldn't want the entire country to be able to turn the television on and see my unique way of viewing life.

So what is courting exactely? Do the paretns assist you choose a spouse? How do you meet? How do you get to know each other? I just do not understand the whole concept. Is it like an arranged marriage?

I don't know. Their entire way of looking at life is totally beyond my comprehension.

We do need to have a pool to bet on when this fellow's wife will announce that she is pregnant.
  • Options
    nick1977 wrote:

What is even more facinating than their lives is the fact that they are so open about everything. I wouldn't want the entire country to be able to turn the television on and see my unique way of viewing life.

So what is courting exactely? Do the paretns assist you choose a spouse? How do you meet? How do you get to know each other? I just do not understand the whole concept. Is it like an arranged marriage?

I don't know. Their entire way of looking at life is totally beyond my comprehension.

We do need to have a pool to bet on when this fellow's wife will announce that she is pregnant.

I give them a month.

http://tlc.discovery.com/tv/17-kids-and-counting/duggar-family.html

Mondays on TLC 10/9c

• Options
    LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    nick1977 wrote:

They direct their sexual frustration to making money........He couldn't even kiss until he was married! If he was rasied that relgious you can bet he probably didn't masturbate either out of fear....
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • Options
    nick1977 wrote:

Courting is like getting to know your fiance.. haha. In this case, they had met at a "home school convention" but the girl said she was waiting till she was 20 to get engaged/date. So he sat around thinking about her for 2 years, and on her 20th birthday he proposed to her, and now they are doing things that we'd consider as "dating". They showed them pretty much getting to know each other. They showed the girls parents, and them meeting Joshua's family. Her parents said she wants to have kids ASAP. I'm betting they got busy right after that first kiss, and any time now the first Duggar grandchild will be baking in the oven.
  • Options
    Lizardjam wrote:
    They direct their sexual frustration to making money........He couldn't even kiss until he was married! If he was rasied that relgious you can bet he probably didn't masturbate either out of fear....

LOL. I guess that is why I'm still paying off my studen loans. If I had only known......well, I'd probalby still be a pauper.

As we type this, I'm sure the young couple are reproducing like rabbits. Not sure you can call them sexually liberated, but you know that frustration has to be gone.