Help me choose an iPod!

harmless_little_f***harmless_little_f*** Posts: 8,005
edited November 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
I have an iPod on my Christmas list but I'm not sure which one - help me weigh the pros and cons! Cheers...
'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    I bought a black 80 giga.

Pros: it's an iPod.; not too expensive if you compare to the shuffle or the nano. It's less thick than the 160 G and it's $100 cheaper. If you don't have movies to put on your iPod, I think you don't need the 160 G

Cons: depends on where / when you want to use it but it cna be considered as "big". If you want to use your iPod when making sport, etc. a nano would better.
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    I also have an 80gig black iPod. It was a gift, I didn't want an iPod primarily for the fact that I despise itunes, I mean seriously hate it.

After several weeks of extreme annoyance with itunes (putting albums in the wrong order, having multiple listings for some artists, even though it was the same spelling - 11 listings for the same artist in one case! & some songs being on there but impossible to find) I got the hang of how to make it work for me, instead of the other way round. It's time consuming to get my music in a manner that suits me, but it is possible.

As for the iPod itself, no real complaints, other than the heardphones don't last, but you get that with any iPod model.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • EddiEEddiE Posts: 125
    I got a 4gb nano recently for my birthday, wasnt expecting it, but I like it.

Pros
    It's dinky so easy to carry about
    Cool screen display
    It holds more than enough music, for me anyway, plus pictures, small movies etc.

Cons
    Its dinky so easy to lose
    Itunes - enough said!

If you want it just to play mp3s, I'd recommend one.
    Paris 7/11/96
    Manchester 4/6/00
  • ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    find the "old school" u2 version...black and white screen, only plays music.

pros.
    1. its big........like a cassette player
    2. its big........getting your monies worth
    3. its big........everyone laughs at you for having a ghetto player.

cons
    1. i am not going to list any, that would be like talking shit on your spouse.

seriously....i like mine 20gb u2 black and red....all i use it for is music. i know for a fact that i did not need this much space but i purchased it because of the red wheel to go along with the darth vader ipod cover.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    I wouldn't want an ipod (iTunes, no graphic remote, don't like the look..I think iRiver are the stupidest manufacturer in the world for having stopped producing the best ever HD player: H1x0 serie!), but can I recommend putting Rockbox on it (whatever the player you have if it's compatible):
    http://www.rockbox.org/
    Pegasus wrote:
    but can I recommend putting Rockbox on it (whatever the player you have if it's compatible):
    http://www.rockbox.org/
    what's rockbox ?
    What does it do that iTunes doesn't ?
    I don't understadn why many people don't like iTunes.. I think it's very friendly and easy to use. I've tried many other music players and there's no other one I prefer to iTunes...
    Julien wrote:
    what's rockbox ?
    What does it do that iTunes doesn't ?
    I don't understadn why many people don't like iTunes.. I think it's very friendly and easy to use. I've tried many other music players and there's no other one I prefer to iTunes...
    rockbox isn't a player, it's a firmware.

and what I have against itunes: for once that you're forced to use it if you have an ipod. then the DRM..

another reason I love my iRiver: drag and drop, can use it on any computer!
  • Pegasus wrote:

and what I have against itunes: for once that you're forced to use it if you have an ipod. then the DRM..

what's an iRiver?
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    what's an iRiver?

wow completely brainwashed by apple....

Ipods suck dont bother, get a archos, iriver or a creative.. all exceptionally good mp3's and mp4s... and about a million times cheaper.

if you want an mp4 i suggest an Generation 5 archos or Creative Zen Vision: M - 60gb Multimedia Player

And with ipods you need this fucking stupid program itunes.... for my archos i just drag and drop, dont need to install any software etc etc
  • I BrisK I wrote:
    wow completely brainwashed by apple....

'Brainwashed' implies that I am somehow weak for not hearing about these other players... when the only thing that's weak is their advertising campaigns, obviously.

'Brainwashed' implies that I am somehow weak for not hearing about these other players... when the only thing that's weak is their advertising campaigns, obviously.
    advertising = brainwashing
    the best quality product is not necessarily the best known.. but good advertising sells shit to uninformed people.
  • Pick the shuffle thing..you can move with it so freely..and it's nice and small and simple..
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,762
    I have an iPod on my Christmas list but I'm not sure which one - help me weigh the pros and cons! Cheers...

Don't get an iPod. Get something by Creative.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • know1 wrote:
    Don't get an iPod. Get something by Creative.

it all depends on how much memory you want/need whether to get a creative over a ipod, ive had both and think the ipod is better due to more memory (160gb) and itunes is a bit annoying as it freezes when transferring files which stops other programs working when it does it. its not the end of the world though, how bad can it be having to wait 5 or 10 seconds til it unfreezes?

they aint the best selling mp3 player for nothing, despite all the supposed "brainwashing" they do, some people try to make it out that you shouldnt get one because everyone else has got one and try Archos (like carrying a portable tv) iRiver - poor memory or extremely expensive in UK for good memory in comparison to ipod

thats my two penneth anyway for what its worth (probably not much but it gave me a little break in work :D )
    Black, the greatest without a doubt........
  • Julien wrote:

I agree... used several music programs over the years, and nothing has been simpler to use, or just better in my opinion.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    if you want to use it for videos then get as much memory as you can afford

if you dont plan on using it for videos, or trying to build a large library of music
    get the new nano, with as much memory as you can afford

also, add a portable hard drive to that list so you can back up all your music
    that way you will have it all in one place when you ipod eventually craps out
  • Pegasus wrote:
    advertising = brainwashing
    the best quality product is not necessarily the best known.. but good advertising sells shit to uninformed people.

OK, point taken.

• normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    OK, point taken.

no that isn't a point.....in fact, it's pointless.....if the ipod was a piece of shit like these people are saying it wouldn't have sold millions and millions of units!.....ignore the haters mark.....the ipod is a quality item and is easy to use....the only question is how do you listen to music.....do you have a lot of music and want to have it with you all the time? get an 80g....if you don't have much one of the itouch models should do you just fine....:)
  • cutback wrote:
    no that isn't a point.....in fact, it's pointless.....if the ipod was a piece of shit like these people are saying it wouldn't have sold millions and millions of units!.....ignore the haters mark.....the ipod is a quality item and is easy to use....the only question is how do you listen to music.....do you have a lot of music and want to have it with you all the time? get an 80g....if you don't have much one of the itouch models should do you just fine....:)

I said point taken; I didn't say I agreed with it. :D

It's too one-dimensional to think 'fuck advertising'; everyone advertises every day. The fact is if there's a better product out there, they should be fucking advertising it. If I've got a good thing, I tell people about it. Oh yeah... I forgot. It's really cool to be underground.

• normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    I said point taken; I didn't say I agreed with it. :D

It's too one-dimensional to think 'fuck advertising'; everyone advertises every day. The fact is if there's a better product out there, they should be fucking advertising it. If I've got a good thing, I tell people about it. Oh yeah... I forgot. It's really cool to be underground.

:D

or as i say, "too cool for school"...;)
  • If everyone has gotten the umpteenth argument about iPods vs Creative out of their systems, maybe you can help answer the question.

I think the iPod you choose depends on how much music you want to carry around on it. If you have hundreds and hundreds of CDs or PJ boots and want to keep them all on the iPod, then you'll have to spring for a Classic because of its bigger memory (20gigs or more). I have a 4gig Nano and I find that the 800 songs it holds are about right for me. I do not put any videos on it. If I get bored of an album, I switch it out and keep a much larger amount of songs stored in iTunes on my computer.

I wouldn't have much use for a shuffle because you have no control over what it will play next.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • DocChicago wrote:
    If everyone has gotten the umpteenth argument about iPods vs Creative out of their systems, maybe you can help answer the question.

I think the iPod you choose depends on how much music you want to carry around on it. If you have hundreds and hundreds of CDs or PJ boots and want to keep them all on the iPod, then you'll have to spring for a Classic because of its bigger memory (20gigs or more). I have a 4gig Nano and I find that the 800 songs it holds are about right for me. I do not put any videos on it. If I get bored of an album, I switch it out and keep a much larger amount of songs stored in iTunes on my computer.

I wouldn't have much use for a shuffle because you have no control over what it will play next.

My recently-acquired-ex has a shuffle and it had a setting where you could play albums in the correct order if you wanted to.

• audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    Fair point about all the arguing. Once you get used to how itunes works, it's easy enough to use, i'm just particular about how I like my music organised.

Very the iPod itself, i've been VERY happy indeed. Easy to use, good battery charge time (so far) and I really like it.

I agree with the above post, if you don't want to take all your music everywhere, then go for a Nano. I like having all my music at the touch of a button, so my 80gig suits me well. A Nano would be far too small for me.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    Pegasus wrote:

you don't need to use itunes with an ipod. in fact, i've never used it (except to update the firmware). the newest versions of winamp come with ipod support. i've installed the ml_ipod plugin on top of that, which makes things even easier, and includes last.fm support. i waited to get an ipod until i was sure i'd never have to use itunes to manage my music.

and for the original poster:
    i'd recommend the 80g ipod video, like most others are recommending too.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    uninnocent wrote:
    you don't need to use itunes with an ipod. in fact, i've never used it (except to update the firmware). the newest versions of winamp come with ipod support. i've installed the ml_ipod plugin on top of that, which makes things even easier, and includes last.fm support. i waited to get an ipod until i was sure i'd never have to use itunes to manage my music.

and for the original poster:
    i'd recommend the 80g ipod video, like most others are recommending too.

Ya but you still gotta get another program and then get a plug in ;p

and Harmless, just do research, you hadn't heard of iRiver who used to be the best thing ever... and the first you thing you went for was an ipod, didn't even list any other brands..

trust me, ipods are not good... there are waaay better players and i mean more battery life, easier to put stuff on, better quality, dont have crappy headphones and everything is so much cheaper.

I got a 30gb Archos mp4 player - Archos 404 - http://www.archos.com/products/video/archos_404/index.html?country=global&lang=en

for £150 brand new. But that was off ebay ;) but its about £200 on amazon

Dont want to sound like im having a go, im just sick of this ipod and how people these days are saying... oh all kids want these days are mp3 players and ipods - they are the same thing... I just merely want to point out that there are way better things out there so go get one :):) Also ipods tend to be more of a fashion icon these days... i dont really give a shit about looks when it comes to technology, as long as it does what it does well :)
    I've had an archos I've had an iRiver and I prefer iPod.
    How can one say it's not easy to put stuff on iPod. You plug it, you wait, it's updated with all your stuuf (music, pictures, calendars, contacts, etc.).

So fuck those people who say iPod suck.
    Those products are high quality products. it doesn't look like bad quality plastic (like archos)...
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    Ipod shmipod!

I've used an iRiver for the past 4 years now, and are a great product. Pretty much works like an external hard drive... no need for software to get it to work, just schtick it in any pc, and copy and paste... easy peasy!
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    Jennytree wrote:
    Ipod shmipod!

I've used an iRiver for the past 4 years now, and are a great product. Pretty much works like an external hard drive... no need for software to get it to work, just schtick it in any pc, and copy and paste... easy peasy!

Ditto :)

Only thing I've managed to do is break the clip on the back of the remote :o:p ... that's one thing I'd miss with an ipod ... they don't have a remote do they :confused:
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • When I was in the market for an mp3 player, I was going to get an ipod as that’s the brand 99.9% of people knew.
    After I did a little research there were several things that turned me off an ipod such as no radio, no microphone, no line in, I don’t like the idea of being tied down to one bit of software and I kept reading reports on the battery life being shit.
    I found that iriver H140 was the mp3 player for me from there I have moved onto the iriver clix2 http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/digitalmusic/0,39029995,49290210,00.htm and can’t stop raving on how great this little device is. It has everything I need in a player right now.
    26/02/1998 Wellington, 09/09/2006 Marseille, 16/09/2006 Verona
    23/09/2006 Berlin, 30/09/2006 Athens, 18/07/2007 London
    02/07/2009 Honolulu (EV Solo), 22/11/2009, Sydney, 29/11/2009 Christchurch
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    fucking whiny bunch of snobby fuckheads.... now thats the Royals Family outta the way ;)

seriously... people on here who go on about the Ipod being worse than Satans bellybutton smegma.. whatever.. boring... those are the people who still buy wax cylinders and cycle fucking hemp bikes.

Harmless, buy whatever you fucking want... it wouldnt matter what you buy someone will have something negative to say about it.

p.s. dont buy an ipod though.. they're shit... buy a Sony walkman and some c90's... then spend 46 hours making a mixtape before realising you had the dub button on and you can only hear white noise... or is it Revolution Number 9?.. either way i dont care
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
This discussion has been closed.