What book are you reading?

Comments

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    DopeyBoy wrote:
    I recently read the Davinci Code too, and was sorely dissapointed. Read Angels and Demons a while back, and it was amazing! I was expecting great things from the sequel, but I didn't think it was nearly as good. I'd recomend Angels & Demons over Davinci Code any day.

i've noticed that for most people, whichever of those two they read first is their favorite. i think it's becos in many ways, they're almost identical. i prefer the da vinci code, but mainly becos the ending of the other seemed a little too farfetched to me.
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,686
    Game of Shadows- Barry Bonds steroid book.
    A Million Little Pieces- James Frey
    A Separate Peace- John Knowles

All three are pretty good.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
    I loved them both.
    I cant wait to see the movie.

They are very similar but both well written and not boring
    in parts like some similar books that drag in parts.
    the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...
  • I only read fantasy. The more dragons and wizards and knights the better, i may never grow out of this!

I'm currently rereading the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind and am on Stone of Tears.

Looks like a lot of people are discovering the Chronicles of Narnia. These were my faves when i was young and i still read the series in it's entirety once a year. Those of you reading em now/soon that haven't before, I think you're in for a treat with Voyage of the Dawntreader, hands down my favorite (and probably most epic) in the series.
    I only read fantasy. The more dragons and wizards and knights the better, i may never grow out of this!

I'm currently rereading the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind and am on Stone of Tears.

Looks like a lot of people are discovering the Chronicles of Narnia. These were my faves when i was young and i still read the series in it's entirety once a year. Those of you reading em now/soon that haven't before, I think you're in for a treat with Voyage of the Dawntreader, hands down my favorite (and probably most epic) in the series.

What do you think about The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan? I read the first one at the end of last year and really enjoyed it. But I needed a break before I start the next one. Those fuckers are long!!!!
  • rrivers wrote:
    What do you think about The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan? I read the first one at the end of last year and really enjoyed it. But I needed a break before I start the next one. Those fuckers are long!!!!

Haha, Wheel of Time might be my all time favorite series. I've read the majority of the series 6-7 times each. The first three books are flat out amazing. While reading the fifth book, i became so incensed at the actions of one of the Aes Sedai, that i threw the book at my bedroom wall(that's a really really thick book, too!). The last 150 pages of Lord Chaos (book 6) i read standing up, pacing in my room. In fact, that ending still gives me goosebumps when i think about it.

Here are my problems with WoT. It's almost going on for too long. It doesn't seem that a lot happens in each book anymore. There are too many characters spread out in too many different directions of the world. You get 2-3 chapters for each hero/heroine, and then it's onto the next, almost never revisiting that character in the same novel. Hell, my favorite (Mat) was basically left out of one book, altogether.

We learn in the first book how the story 'ends'. It's been 17 years of real life(with new books only every 2-3 years now)...take us there, already, Mr. Jordan!

Conversely(if i may)...As the WoT seems to slow it's pace, The Sword of Truth picks up more and more steam as it progresses. I didn't think the first book was anything super special(still good, though), and it seemed to steal a lot of ideas from WoT and LOTR(almost blatently). But dammit, these novels get more and more gripping as they go and i think Terry Goodkind has been off his ass with this series. I put down the last 300 pages(!) of Faith of the Fallen in one sitting on a New Years Eve a few years ago. Hands down the most inspirational and moving work of fiction i have ever come across.

These two series are the only novels i'll buy in hardcover...no way i can wait 8-12 months for their paperback versions anymore.
  • AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    aNiMaL wrote:
    I am mid way through a Michael Crichton book called "Airframe." Its pretty good. It's about an quality assurance investigation over an airplane after a suspicious mid air flight incident which killed a few people, and injured a bunch more. Meanwhile, this airplane company is trying to seal a deal with China for some airplanes. It's getting pretty suspenseful.

Anyhow, I want to finish it so I can start reading my next book; "Scar Tissue" by Anthony Kiedis.

What book are you reading?

I read both those books. Scar Tissue was a HELL of a lot better.
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

I just finished Into the Wild a few nights ago. I found out yesterday they are making it into a movie...Sean Penn to direct.

P.S. Into the Wild was written by Jon Krakauer, the guy who wrote Under the Banner of Heaven and Into Thin Air. I highly recommend ANYTHING by this guy.

EddiesGurl wrote:
    im reading "What to expect when expecting"....a really good book for us first time mamas :)

AWWWWWW...that's the cutest thing!! :D That totally made my day!

• brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    just bought 'lullaby' by Chuck Palahniuk today. hope it's good as 'survivor'.

any fans?
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
    AWWWWWW...that's the cutest thing!! :D That totally made my day!

Hey preggos should read "Birthing from within"
    very good balance to "What to expect..."
    the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...
    Haha, Wheel of Time might be my all time favorite series. I've read the majority of the series 6-7 times each. The first three books are flat out amazing. While reading the fifth book, i became so incensed at the actions of one of the Aes Sedai, that i threw the book at my bedroom wall(that's a really really thick book, too!). The last 150 pages of Lord Chaos (book 6) i read standing up, pacing in my room. In fact, that ending still gives me goosebumps when i think about it.

Here are my problems with WoT. It's almost going on for too long. It doesn't seem that a lot happens in each book anymore. There are too many characters spread out in too many different directions of the world. You get 2-3 chapters for each hero/heroine, and then it's onto the next, almost never revisiting that character in the same novel. Hell, my favorite (Mat) was basically left out of one book, altogether.

We learn in the first book how the story 'ends'. It's been 17 years of real life(with new books only every 2-3 years now)...take us there, already, Mr. Jordan!

Conversely(if i may)...As the WoT seems to slow it's pace, The Sword of Truth picks up more and more steam as it progresses. I didn't think the first book was anything super special(still good, though), and it seemed to steal a lot of ideas from WoT and LOTR(almost blatently). But dammit, these novels get more and more gripping as they go and i think Terry Goodkind has been off his ass with this series. I put down the last 300 pages(!) of Faith of the Fallen in one sitting on a New Years Eve a few years ago. Hands down the most inspirational and moving work of fiction i have ever come across.

These two series are the only novels i'll buy in hardcover...no way i can wait 8-12 months for their paperback versions anymore.

Thanks. You really got me excited to pick up the other books.
  • I only read fantasy. The more dragons and wizards and knights the better, i may never grow out of this!

I LOVE terry goodkind's sword of truth series! i read it a few years ago and i have yet to read the latest book that came out for it (chainfire) and i believe the one after that is soon scheduled for release as well. i don't know many people that are into it, but i don't know why, i think it's really well done! :)
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    rrivers wrote:
    Game of Shadows- Barry Bonds steroid book.
    I wanna read that too!!
    aNiMaL wrote:
    I wanna read that too!!

Its really good. Fascinating to see behind the scenes!
  • OmaramaOmarama Posts: 267
    A Star called Henry - Roddy Doyle-extremely colourful language but bloody good

To kill a mockingbird-reading it for english, it's pretty good
    Monty Got a Raw Deal

" makes much more sense to live in the present tense "
    i've noticed that for most people, whichever of those two they read first is their favorite. i think it's becos in many ways, they're almost identical. i prefer the da vinci code, but mainly becos the ending of the other seemed a little too farfetched to me.

Not true for me. I read DVC first and I was not so much a fan. Then I read Angels and Demons and LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVED it. Much more interesting, I thought.

• Urban HikerUrban Hiker Posts: 1,312
    Vagabonding: An Uncommon Guide to the Art of Long-Term World Travel by Rolf Potts

The Global Citizen by Elizabeth Kruempelmann

&

The Back Door Guide to Short-Term Job Adventures by Michael Landes
    My favorite quote from this book so far is, "Don't sell your soul for a great benefits package."
    Walking can be a real trip
    "We've laid the groundwork. It's like planting the seeds. And next year, it's spring." - Nader
    Prepare for tending to your garden, America.
  • MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    Life Expenctancy, by Dean Koontz
  • FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Reading a pile of books at the moment, all on or by Patrick Kavanagh.
  • im reading 5 against 1 the pearl jam story...about halfway through. good book, also just finished none too fragile before this one. i like koontz too. reading is good, can we start the story now? hahaha
  • moses562moses562 Posts: 1,382
    I'm reading Post Office By Charles Bukowski... I love this guy!
    "A man has the right to be as big as he feels it in him to be." Ken Kesey
  • harrison's guide to internal medicine.

but for when i get to have a break, i read "immovable feast by hemingway" or "tender is the night by fitzgerald"
    mean people suck!
    but nice people sw****w

• vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    genevieve wrote:
    I am reading a book called: I hate you, dont leave me.

Its about personality disorders.

"Stop Walking on Eggshells" is pretty good, too. BPDs are sure tough to deal with...very frustrating...

Currently I'm reading "Ishmael"...it's all right...hasn't smacked me on the head yet. Just finished "Scar Tissue" -- "Angels & Demons" is the next one on the pile to read...

Since I became "mentally ill" my concentration is shot, so reading is something I don't enjoy as much as I used to...oh well. Things are slowly improving...at least I'm reading something!
    be philanthropic
  • _Crazy_Mary__Crazy_Mary_ Posts: 1,299
    I am currently reading Swan Song by Robert McCammon, again. It's such a good book!
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    Wow, one thing I love is that we all have different tastes in books....but we're all readers!!! I like that!

There are a few books in this thread I want to check out.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,211

I was thinking i was the only one who thought this. Thank god! Ithought da vinci was okay, it was a quick read...but I tried Angels and Demons later, and I swore i was reading the same damn book. I got about 80 pages into it and realized what a shitty recipe written book it was. He shhould've just called DaVinci code something like "Angels & demons - RE-EDITED!"
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    at the prsent moment i am reading a book call "Can we be good without GOD?: Behaviour, Belonging and the need to believe" it is a very interesting book. it talks about how we create our beliefs so that we may make sense o fthis world and then it goes on to talk about some of the harm that can be brought into the world because of our beliefs.
  • lumpyfredlumpyfred Posts: 243
    A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. So far I havent been able to put it down - damn its good!
    Her?
  • gtbrown77gtbrown77 Posts: 140
    Currently doing some light reading - The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich ;)

Last few books I read:
    DaVinci Code
    London Bridges (my first James Patterson Book. Shoulda gotten into him a LONG time ago)
    The Caine Mutiny (great book)
    The 7 Books in "The Chronicles of Narnia"

Next up, I'm looking at either a biography on Che Guavara, a Stephen King book, or I might (finally) read The Lord of the Rings trilogy
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
    -John Lennon