Options

What's the coldest place you've been to??

13»

Comments

• Options
    Went to Buffalo last November year to see the Pats play. We went to Niagara Falls during the day, in the snow and wind so between that and the mist it was bitter cold. Then they moved the game to Sunday Night and that was just dead cold air.
  • Options
    1996 Nfc Championship Game In Green Bay, Wisconsin
  • Options
    Being far from a world traveler and being from Mizzip, I've not been many really really cold places, but a couple of occasions leap to mind.

1. State championship football game in Jackson about five years ago. Temps dropped into the teens during the game and the wind was awful. I was there taking pictures for my newspaper job and to make it worse the team I was covering lost with around 30 seconds left. Probably the most miserable three hours I have ever spent in my life!

2. Memphis last January is another. I left heading up for the Foo Fighters concert and drove through ice and sleet the whole way. When I got to Memphis the valet asked where in the hell I had come from because the sides of my truck were totally covered in ice. The ice got to memphis that evening...luckily I had a belly full of sauce to keep me warm
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,548
    I used to live in Fraser, CO. They fight with International Falls, MN over use of the "Icebox of the Nation" slogan. It routinely falls to forty below in the winter. The growing season averages 4-7 days per year :eek:

Now, I live in Vegas. Go figure. :p
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    December in Truckee, California last year. We attempted to go ice skating but it was too freakin' cold to function. 7 degrees farenheit.
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,359
    Eagles vs Bucs Wildcard Game, Philadelphia, 12/31/2000.

Coldest day on record, in the history of the universe.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    adirondacks. winter. pick a mountain and climb up above the treeline.
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    angie76angie76 Posts: 646
    In the pine barrens
    Dig a ditch deep enough
    To keep you clear of the sun
    You've been burned more than once
    You don't think much of trust
  • Options
    hmmm. probably up in northern minnesota. Was there when a town nearby recorded -60 degreee F. down here in the cities its gotten to like -40. i like the cold but only to a certain extent
    "I changed by not changing at all"
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    The coldest I've ever been was arriving in Prague at about 6am on New Years Eve in 1996.

But I'm going to the highest point in Northern China next month - Wutai mountain - and I expect it will be about -20.

my driveway, every winter.

**edit**
    didn't really make it clear where that's located. i'm in central ny. currently living in phoenix, ny (which is about 20-30 minutes south of oswego, and 20 minutes north of syracuse). it gets effing cold around here in the winter. dry cold, too. you can actually feel the texture of the air when you take in a breath.
    "Have you ever.........pooped a balloon?"
    ~D.K.S.
  • Options
    toastertoaster Posts: 152
    The coldest time I've been outside and did stuff was when we went snowboarding in -15 degrees (celcius). Now that was cold! Especially when I was jumping down from a small "mountain" (I can't be bothered to look in the dictionary right now) and landed face-down right in the snow and I had snow all over, also on the inside of my clothes.

Coldest place I've ever been would have been back home (a place in the mountains of norway) where it's been down to -30. But then we just had a wonderful excuse to stay at home since the bus to school wouldn't start if it got under -25.
  • Options
    InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    Probably tailgaiting at a Bufalo Bills game a few years ago...........it was so fucken cold I couldn't take it. I am from upstate NY too, so I should be used to it!
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    my driveway, every winter.

**edit**
    didn't really make it clear where that's located. i'm in central ny. currently living in phoenix, ny (which is about 20-30 minutes south of oswego, and 20 minutes north of syracuse). it gets effing cold around here in the winter. dry cold, too. you can actually feel the texture of the air when you take in a breath.

There's a 'Phoenix' in NY too?
  • Options
    mertmert Posts: 167
    Where I live and surrounding area. Technically the coldest would be Ottawa, but my town is right on Lake Ontario and gets freakishly cold. And damp. I've been to many colder places, like Thunder Bay, Winnipeg, Iroquois Falls/Timmins, but smartly enough not in the dead of winter.

But last night was pretty bitterly cold at -18C.
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    There's a 'Phoenix' in NY too?

yup, but it's not as hot and dry as phoenix, az. or as big. phoenix, ny is just a little village. i hated living here when we first moved out here, and told my wife as soon as we could we would be moving back to syracuse. but after a few months i had changed my mind. we've been in phoenix now for about 5 years and i don't ever want to leave the community. we're currently renting, but as soon as we get our credit back in good shape, we'll be looking for a place out here.

worst winter i've seen since living out here was 2 years ago. my wife was in florida with my mom, working. i took the time off work so i could be home with the kids (i work nights). ended up snowing like a mofo and school was cancelled the whole time my wife was gone. so much snow had fallen the first night, we didn't even bother to try to dig the car out. our fridge was stocked, so we didn't need any food. after about 4 days, i was going nuts. a grown man can only take talking to children and watching cartoons for so long. i needed company in the adult form. it was a hard week, but we made it through. it snowed so much the first 3 nights the roof on the garage caved in. thankfully, it was an old garage that our landlord was going to tear down anyway, so there was nothing in it.
    ~D.K.S.
  • Options
    mert wrote:
    Where I live and surrounding area. Technically the coldest would be Ottawa, but my town is right on Lake Ontario and gets freakishly cold. And damp. I've been to many colder places, like Thunder Bay, Winnipeg, Iroquois Falls/Timmins, but smartly enough not in the dead of winter.

But last night was pretty bitterly cold at -18C.

you get a lot of that lake effect snow out your way? we usually get a shit-ton, or it just misses us. so far we've been lucky. just up the road in fulton they got crazy snow and our ground was still bare. we've got snow now, but nothing too major.
    ~D.K.S.
  • Options
    pretextpretext Posts: 1,294
    Some town in Austria that was home to the church from Sound of Music. January. I didn't feel my toes for a day.
  • Options
    mertmert Posts: 167
    you get a lot of that lake effect snow out your way? we usually get a shit-ton, or it just misses us. so far we've been lucky. just up the road in fulton they got crazy snow and our ground was still bare. we've got snow now, but nothing too major.

In my immediate town, Kingston, we do. But the northern edge of the city gets considerable less snow because the lake effect pulls all their snow towards the lake.... Then half an hour north of that you get a tonne of snow again. :)

Now Prince Edward County is near me, and they get dumped on! It's a peninsula stuck out in Lake Ontario, so they get it from all sides.... :D
  • Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Probably a day I did my daily job when I was 15 living in Kansas City picking up garbage from a strip center parking lot before school. Temperature was around -10 F with a windchill of around -25. I was crying it was so cold. And my tears froze. :(
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    sapporo japan
    syracuse NY
  • Options
    I live in Alberta. It gets pretty freakin cold here sometimes. The coldest i've actually been in was -40ish.
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Get_Right wrote:
    sapporo japan
    syracuse NY

Sapporo on the Island of Hokkaido. I just finished reading a book about a Canadian fella who hitchhiked from the southern tip of Japan to the Northern tip - 'Hokkaido Highway Blues'. It's a funny book.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Sapporo on the Island of Hokkaido. I just finished reading a book about a Canadian fella who hitchhiked from the southern tip of Japan to the Northern tip - 'Hokkaido Highway Blues'. It's a funny book.
    I might have to check it out

amazing place

actually i see you are in china
    Ive been to some cold places in shandong province
  • Options
    Glocester, Mass
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • Options
    ankorage alaska. however, we went in june...so pretty damn warm. :)

i'd say prague was pretty cold, but i didn't get to stay past the end of november so definitely did not experience it's coldest temps. so for actual coldest temps i'd guess burlington, vermont as we definitely were up there in the dead of winter. COLD! :p
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow