Options

What's the coldest place you've been to??

ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
edited December 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
The coldest I've ever been was arriving in Prague at about 6am on New Years Eve in 1996.

But I'm going to the highest point in Northern China next month - Wutai mountain - and I expect it will be about -20.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,135
    NYC then Boston. I was 9 years old and just left jamaica and walked off the plane and the December cold hit and I ran back on the plane. I refused to get off that Jumbo jet, my mother later told me it was about 17 degrees and 5 with the windchill.

A
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    I think the coldest I've ever been in was in Alaska at around 0. I actually like cold weather and love it in the teens, but when it gets below 10 I can definitely feel a difference. Of course it depends on wind chill, moisture,etc. too.
    That sounds like a fun trip, hope you have fun! :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    pearljamjenpearljamjen Posts: 13,578
    Prague as well. Normally I go to places like that during the summer to avoid the cold, but I was living there. But I didn't learn my lesson because then last December I went back to visit some friends. Silly me! I froze my patootie off. :eek: Was very fun though :)
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    my ex wifes "embrace". ;)
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Umm, where I live. Upstate NY. We've had 40 below before. Tonight its about 10 above.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    Chicago. Last winter. For about 2 straight weeks it did not get above 10 degrees, regular temperature. With the wind chill, it was well below 0... for TWO STRAIGHT WEEKS!!
    she was underwhelmed, if that's a word
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    a couple years ago at christmas i was at mammoth and i had to walk the dog in 0 degrees Fahrenheit....with a wind chill of about -20....
  • Options
    vital5vital5 Posts: 5,486
    The Supermarket Freezer....

nice work with the ex wife's "embrace"... bwahaha
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,724
    Utah 0 degrees, + wind chill factor not included.

It really wasn't that bad. :o
    NERDS!
  • Options
    finnanniefinnannie Posts: 1,186
    The coldest place I've been must have been.. .hmm.. Inari here in Finland, it's pretty up there in the north. :) Can't remeber how cold it was.. propably over -30'Celsius

This pic is from a lake close to our familys winter cabin, I caught my uncle ice fishing.. :D

http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d123/annikajula/?action=view&current=Keskijrvi085-1.jpg

snow storm approaching
    http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d123/annikajula/?action=view&current=Keskijrvi065-1.jpg

:) -Anni
    Won't let the light escape from me.
    Won't let the darkness swallow me.
  • Options
    the wolf wrote:
    my ex wifes "embrace". ;)

I know what you mean right there just that I'm the one being colder than ice.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,402
    JaneNY wrote:
    Umm, where I live. Upstate NY. We've had 40 below before. Tonight its about 10 above.

Upstate NY for me too. It's painfully cold here sometimes, although it sounds like where you live is even colder than my town.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    muiren77muiren77 Posts: 3,511
    haven't traveled abroad, so the coldest place i've been here in my country is Baguio City...
    what is essential is invisible to the eye

apparently, 07162056 is THE date...
  • Options
    suns rivalsuns rival Posts: 15,926
    in the freezer....brrrrrrrrr
    scratching my butt...
    kinakamot ang aking puwit...
    me rascando pompis...
    krap mijn reet...
    boku no ketsuoana o kizu...
    bahrosh teezy...
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    NYC feb 08. though it was mild(apparently) twas still colder than here.
    plus i experienced sleet for the very first time in my life. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,358
    USS Independence CV-62- War Games in amongst the Aluetian chain. Bitter sea cold plus choppy ass water made for a fun(right) ride. Only time at sea I felt queasy.

Also spent from sept 06 to Feb 08 working in a sub zero walkin freezer. -8 up to 5 above. 40 hours plus a week.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    finnannie wrote:
    The coldest place I've been must have been.. .hmm.. Inari here in Finland, it's pretty up there in the north. :) Can't remeber how cold it was.. propably over -30'Celsius

This pic is from a lake close to our familys winter cabin, I caught my uncle ice fishing.. :D

http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d123/annikajula/?action=view&current=Keskijrvi085-1.jpg

snow storm approaching
    http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d123/annikajula/?action=view&current=Keskijrvi065-1.jpg

:) -Anni
    Beautiful pics! :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,946
    Edmonton, Alberta - Jan. '96 twas approximatley -55c with the windchill.
    I've experienced -40s celsius repeatedly growing up in Alberta. However, the winters don't seem to be getting that cold anymore.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    hartamh wrote:
    At this very moment, outside of my house :eek:

Next week when I get to Palm Beach FL for the next 6 months I'll be looking for a freezer or something cold just to feel normal. :)

A

• Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    mickeyrat wrote:
    USS Independence CV-62- War Games in amongst the Aluetian chain. Bitter sea cold plus choppy ass water made for a fun(right) ride. Only time at sea I felt queasy.

Also spent from sept 06 to Feb 08 working in a sub zero walkin freezer. -8 up to 5 above. 40 hours plus a week.

ooh ive been aboard the independence. though it wasnt in the aluetian islands. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    FrankieJFrankieJ Posts: 602
    -10 degrees farenheit
    With windchill it was like -20

Ontop of the "beginner" ski hill at Mad River Glen VT., USA
    GO GIANTS
    GO DEVILS
    7/14/03-PNC NJ ~ 6/1/06-CAA1 NJ ~ 6/3/06-CAA2 NJ ~ 8/5/07-Lolla IL ~ 6/24/08-MSG1 ~ 6/25/08-MSG2 ~ 8/7/08-NJPAC (eV Solo)

"I'm feeling kinda righteous right now...with my Bad@$$-M0therf*ck!n'-Ukulele!"
    -eV 8/7
  • Options
    Ottawa Winters...

Holy shit.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    muiren77 wrote:
    haven't traveled abroad, so the coldest place i've been here in my country is Baguio City...

The Philippines?
  • Options

Winner.
  • Options
    GummiBeerGummiBeer Newfoundland Canada Posts: 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fifthelement

Winner.

I got one a little better than that
    Dec 31 2004, Yellowknife NWT canada, myself and friend moved from our apartment to my now house in -53c with a windchill of -64c....the coldest day ever. My balls have never been the same since...lol
    Calgary 04-09-2005
    Edmonton 05-09-2005

"A Thousand Ports of light For the Newfoundland...Theres a Kinder gentler American Band"...EV 25/09/05
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,946
    GummiBeer wrote:
    I got one a little better than that
    Dec 31 2004, Yellowknife NWT canada, myself and friend moved from our apartment to my now house in -53c with a windchill of -64c....the coldest day ever. My balls have never been the same since...lol

I knew mine wouldn't be the coldest lol :) I had faith in my fellow Canucks to come up with some better temps. I'm in Victoria now; so maybe -10 with the windchill if it's really cold
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    -8c at the Snowies in Eastern Aussieland. So not a cold climate person. London better not dive into this range too often.

Just reading -64c makes me shiver, and its a balmy +27 outside. Brrrrrr.
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    The Philippines?

yeah...have you been there?

• Options
    muiren77 wrote:
    yeah...have you been there?

A girlfriend of mine last year was from Baguio City.
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    A girlfriend of mine last year was from Baguio City.

you mean ex-gf?