Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    eyedclaar wrote:
    I assume the precise count on almonds and raisins is critical?
    depending on caloric needs. for me, i find it the perfect ratio.

you may need more.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    ajedigecko wrote:
    depending on caloric needs. for me, i find it the perfect ratio.

you may need more.

Did you just call me fat???

I kid, I kid

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Christmas is a time of cheer and good tidings. It's a magical time for young children and it is to bad that political correctness causes people to turn into Grinches.

The super P.C. want to take God out of Christmas. The super conservative want to take the holiday spirit out of Christmas. Unfortunatly, the rest of the sane people get caught in the volleys while both sides pee in our punch.
  • Options
    LindaLinda Posts: 1,656
    Jason P wrote:
    Christmas is a time of cheer and good tidings. It's a magical time for young children and it is to bad that political correctness causes people to turn into Grinches.

The super P.C. want to take God out of Christmas. The super conservative want to take the holiday spirit out of Christmas. Unfortunatly, the rest of the sane people get caught in the volleys while both sides pee in our punch.

who's the super P.C.? :o
    i'm not happy yet.....
  • Options
    angie76angie76 Posts: 646
    How long do you let a kid believe in Santa?

If it was up to me, I'd never mention Santa in the first place and when my kids ask about him I'd say he's pretend. But its not up to me, is it?

Anyways, at what age does it turn into a crappy thing to do to let your kids keep believing in something so rediculous?

I pretty much stopped believing it on my own when i found my presents in a closet.
    Dig a ditch deep enough
    To keep you clear of the sun
    You've been burned more than once
    You don't think much of trust
  • Options
    angie76 wrote:
    I pretty much stopped believing it on my own when i found my presents in a closet.

I stopped in the 4th grade. I already had my doubts, but when I asked why there was an extra guitar chord by the front door, my parents kinda joked about santa f-ing up and having to go all the way back to get another. Their attitude sealed the deal.

My attitude to my 10 year old step daughter, has been sarcastic about him being real. I don't know how much she believes in it. I think she's come around for the most part. I'm not even talking about it this year, because I asked her if the easter bunny made any sense this year and it was a big deal to her mom. I just don't understand why its fun to believe in stupid lies. Kids can have just as much fun knowing its pretend. Isn't getting presents on Christmas and chocolate on Easter and just being around family fun enough?
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Linda wrote:
    who's the super P.C.? :o
    I think it's the Canadians. They are behind everything evil . . . except hockey.
  • Options
    I stopped in the 4th grade. I already had my doubts, but when I asked why there was an extra guitar chord by the front door, my parents kinda joked about santa f-ing up and having to go all the way back to get another. Their attitude sealed the deal.

My attitude to my 10 year old step daughter, has been sarcastic about him being real. I don't know how much she believes in it. I think she's come around for the most part.

yeah i think my folks tried to say something about santa dropping some stuff off early..lol..the jig was up though.
    Dig a ditch deep enough
  • Options

My attitude to my 10 year old step daughter, has been sarcastic about him being real. I don't know how much she believes in it. I think she's come around for the most part. I'm not even talking about it this year, because I asked her if the easter bunny made any sense this year and it was a big deal to her mom. I just don't understand why its fun to believe in stupid lies. Kids can have just as much fun knowing its pretend. Isn't getting presents on Christmas and chocolate on Easter and just being around family fun enough?
    it's not 'lies' :eek: its 'magic'. Let the kids have some bloody magic in their lives... why do we need to introduce them to reality so early??? That's bullshit... I personally LOVED the whole magic of santa thing... and I don't know ONE person who was fucked up by learning the truth. It's doing NO harm! :mad: there! Rant over!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    it's not 'lies' :eek: its 'magic'. Let the kids have some bloody magic in their lives... why do we need to introduce them to reality so early??? That's bullshit... I personally LOVED the whole magic of santa thing... and I don't know ONE person who was fucked up by learning the truth. It's doing NO harm! :mad: there! Rant over!

ha..yeah I agree..I wasn't really mad about finding out there wasn't a Santa. I understood it's what parents say to kids..it kind of makes xmas for kids. Im a pretty well adjusted adult. well sort of :p
    Dig a ditch deep enough
  • Options
    eyedclaar wrote:
    Did you just call me fat???

I kid, I kid
    glad you finished with "i kid".....i was beginning to think you evolved into XX.
  • Options

I used to say it was an introduction to future lies. This guy watches over you and judges you. If your good you get a prize... sounds like what most christians think of God. Now I just think, why do we have to make some shit up to get kids into christmas? The presents, the family, the time off from school, the pecan pie, the celebration of Jesus's birth (if you like) is plenty. There is nothing about kids beliving in "magic" that makes it anymore special or cute. If they didn't believe in it, it'd still be a very special time of the year.
  • Options
    I used to say it was an introduction to future lies. This guy watches over you and judges you. If your good you get a prize... sounds like what most christians think of God. Now I just think, why do we have to make some shit up to get kids into christmas? The presents, the family, the time off from school, the pecan pie, the celebration of Jesus's birth (if you like) is plenty. There is nothing about kids beliving in "magic" that makes it anymore special or cute. If they didn't believe in it, it'd still be a very special time of the year.
    for me personally, my daughter believes in santa, we have never used the "be good and get gifts" routine. she understands that some gifts will be coming from her parents and some gifts come from santa.
    her belief in santa and the expression on her face on Christmas morning,is the best present she gives without knowing it.
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    There is nothing about kids beliving in "magic" that makes it anymore special or cute.

i disagree so much with that statement.

my kids love the idea that there is a santa out there, who lives in the 'north pool' ... i dont do the whole 'if you've been bad you'll get nothing' trip on them either... as thats cruel... but i make footprints in fake snow around the chimney and leave a half eaten carrot and mince pie beside the fire... they love all that stuff... love it.

all kids love magic... even doing the penny behind the ear makes my kids giggle.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Damn Straight! Santa rules! Imagine how boring christmas would be without Santa. Not to mention all those in the red-hat business being made redundant.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:

my kids love the idea that there is a santa out there, who lives in the 'north pool' ... i dont do the whole 'if you've been bad you'll get nothing' trip on them either... as thats cruel... but i make footprints in fake snow around the chimney and leave a half eaten carrot and mince pie beside the fire... they love all that stuff... love it.

all kids love magic... even doing the penny behind the ear makes my kids giggle.
    genius idea.....i will leave the footprints also, if we have snow.
  • Options
    I disagree strongly... it's the magic that makes it MOST special. The best part of christmas is kids getting their gifts from santa. I'll miss having no kids around this year cos the fact that it's so magical for them... well, it spreads and makes it magical for everyone! It's a beautiful time of the year and I miss that magic.

Easter has all that you listed above... and yet it's nowhere NEAR as wonderful as christmas! Why's that? No santa! Simple!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    ajedigecko wrote:
    genius idea.....i will leave the footprints also, if we have snow.

http://www.prezzybox.com/products/index.aspx?pid=3629

i love it... and it feels cold and lasts for ages... brilliant invention :D
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    I disagree strongly... it's the magic that makes it MOST special. The best part of christmas is kids getting their gifts from santa. I'll miss having no kids around this year cos the fact that it's so magical for them... well, it spreads and makes it magical for everyone! It's a beautiful time of the year and I miss that magic.

Easter has all that you listed above... and yet it's nowhere NEAR as wonderful as christmas! Why's that? No santa! Simple!

How about the easter bunny, he's special too you know :)
    Dig a ditch deep enough
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:

Garuantee the kids' faces will light up just as much knowing that great gift came from you.
  • Options
    Garuantee the kids' faces will light up just as much knowing that great gift came from you.
    pfft, killjoy :(

And you're wrong there. The idea of a kindly magical old man dropping presents down a chimney is far more exciting to a child than the idea of their parents going to smyths and buying a lego set.
  • Options
    angie76 wrote:
    How about the easter bunny, he's special too you know :)
    :o nah not really... I never fully fell for the whole story about a rabbit delivering chocolate eggs... even as a kid it made no sense! :D but the whole st. nicholas thing... well that was true, wasn't it? Lapland's a REAL place that exists and there actually ARE reindeer... it was foolproof.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    pfft, killjoy :(

And you're wrong there. The idea of a kindly magical old man dropping presents down a chimney is far more exciting to a child than the idea of their parents going to smyths and buying a lego set.
    :) exactly... what a silly thing to say... the kids aren't JUST in it for the gifts! The gifts are great... but the 'santa' thing is what makes it special.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options

BS. Easter does have the bunny. You don't get gifts for Easter. You don't get out of school for two weeks. For most people it involves more of a concentration on church, which usually sucks for kids. Kids would be just as pumped with out santa. Hell my 3 year old is pumped about Christmas and he's scared of Santa and doesn't want anything to do with him. He wants a Wall-E toy.
  • Options
    :o nah not really... I never fully fell for the whole story about a rabbit delivering chocolate eggs... even as a kid it made no sense! :D but the whole st. nicholas thing... well that was true, wasn't it? Lapland's a REAL place that exists and there actually ARE reindeer... it was foolproof.

lol..well i actually believed in the easter bunny and the tooth fairy as well :D.

But yeah i think Santa was the best. But I thought he lived in the Northpole
    Dig a ditch deep enough
  • Options
    :o it was foolproof.

Especially the bit about the fat man fitting down the average chimney...

• Options
    BS. Easter does have the bunny. You don't get gifts for Easter. You don't get out of school for two weeks. For most people it involves more of a concentration on church, which usually sucks for kids. Kids would be just as pumped with out santa. Hell my 3 year old is pumped about Christmas and he's scared of Santa and doesn't want anything to do with him. He wants a Wall-E toy.

It was kind of like xmas to me, I remember getting a huge cellophane wrapped basket full of candy and toys :D
    Dig a ditch deep enough
  • Options
    angie76 wrote:
    lol..well i actually believed in the easter bunny and the tooth fairy as well :D.

But yeah i think Santa was the best. But I thought he lived in the Northpole

Yeah, what the fuck is lapland? I mean, other than that stripper club downtown...

• Options
    eyedclaar wrote:
    Especially the bit about the fat man fitting down the average chimney...
    He was Magic!