Options

OU on to national title

2»

Comments

• Options
    CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    you're just talking like a homer... in ways that completely favor your team only. truth is, no one here in austin is whining... it's the media overhyping it. and we fans simply think the system is anything but fair for the entire college football. cause if you really think about it... out of those 3 teams who had the worse loss?

texas tech, obviously... losing by 44 points.
    then ou losing by 10.
    texas lost only by 6 points... a game which they could've won had they not dropped that interception.

given, ou was beating teams by scoring 60+ points. it's ridiculous that the computer is deciding who goes and who doesn't. because for retarded reasons, "the computer is not biased." of course not motherlicker!

were ou and texas to play 4 times and would texas beat them all those 4 times would ou still be better than texas beacuse of the computer rankings? how unfair was it for texas that after being no. 2 had ou lost they still would be dropped because of the head-to-head loss to texas tech, thus sending texas tech to the bcs title. and if ou would have won texas would've still been eliminated from the title.... because oh for whatever reason now the head-to-head win over the sooners doesn't matter. now the rankings matter. makes no sense. and all for a loss by a measly of 6 points.

it's true ou is a good team and they were dominating a little better. so was texas tech... simply put, system was not fair for either team. and not for ou either.

you could look at it as who had the worse loss...but then again, the team that got beat by the most points also beat UT.

Or you could look at how they all did against OKS, when Texas barely squeaked by. Ou scored 61 on em. Tech beat em pretty good.

Also Texas beat OU with 3 plays. 2 plays involved penalties, when Colt took a soccer style dive out of bounds to draw a late hit penalty, both of which led to points. and the interception in the endzone. OU won that game for 3 quarters...those 3 plays changed the game. There was nothing neutral about the refs in that game.

And OU has beat Texas 4 out of last 5 I believe.

Its a circular argument. Its a 3 way tie in the conference, and in the big 12 altogether. they have to rely on some kind of tiebreaker, and for a while now the last tiebreaker is the BCS rankings.

I agree its unfair...If I were a Texas fan I'd be pissed, but they need someway of deciding who goes to the championship game in KC (my cousin will be at that game, she better get me a shirt :)) I agree its unfair.

this isnt' to you but,

If 'Texas beat OU heads up end of story', why doesn't the Tech game over Texas matter?
  • Options
    gabers wrote:
    I hate Texas but I do believe they should be going to the Big 12 title game. They beat OU on a neutral field and both have one loss. Case closed.

However, I find it very interesting how everyone keeps looking over Mizzou. They're obviously not a top five team after their recent performances, but they are capable of beating anyone. And they have played OU well for the most part. I expect a close game. Keep it mind it will also be played at Arrowhead Stadium in KC, which is almost a home game for Mizzou.
    true, but the exact same argument could be made for Tech. They beat Texas heads up, and both have one loss.

OU already beat Kansas this year, who manhandled Mizzou. They have a good quarterback but he's gonna need some serious help from the rest of the team to keep up with OU's offense.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    Commy wrote:
    No one can stop OU's offense, not even in the NC.

this is why playoffs would be great.....i would love to see that offense against sc's defense.....memories of the 2004 orange bowl come to mind ;):D
  • Options
    cutback wrote:
    this is why playoffs would be great.....i would love to see that offense against sc's defense.....memories of the 2004 orange bowl come to mind ;):D
    lol. yeah pick the top 8 teams, let the top seeds play at home, chances are 1 and 2 will end up in the final anyway.
  • Options
    I'm not saying get rid of preseason polls altogether. I'm just saying take the weight they carry away. Perhaps a slate for rankings that become official in week five or so, but they shouldn't carry any weight during the first couple of weeks.

I also don't believe Ohio State was "cheating." I believe they were cheated for being put in the spot much in the same way Hawaii was cheated for being put in that spot. Personally, I felt Georgia and USC were cheated by not allowing the two to play in the Rose Bowl together, and the fans were cheated by having to watch a sub-par Sugar and Rose Bowl.

I thought the BCS already didn't start or become official until about week 6? I don't know how the hell this system works ;)

But yeah, some of the bowl matchups last year were a joke. Illinois getting in at all was absurd. If anything, it should have been LSU-USC in the championship and OSU-Oregon in the Rose. Those might have been games worth watching.

And I'm glad you're more reasonable than some, but there are a LOT of people that act like Ohio State has done all kinds of underhanded things to sneak into national title games. It's wearisome.
    she was underwhelmed, if that's a word
  • Options
    Solat13 wrote:
    Because Boise was ranked 36 preseason and have 65 freshman on the roster. It's going to be funny when they go undefeated again next year for the 4th in 6 years in the regular season but actually start the season ranked in the top 25 and wind up playing for the title.

The Big Ten has one quality non conference win all season and that was Penn State beating Oregon State at home.

Boise State beat Oregon on the road and is more deserving of going to a BCS game than Ohio State but will only go to one if my above scenario comes to fruition.

Gotcha. I'll be honest, I think Boise State has the better case than OSU this season for a BCS bid. I just thought you were one of those haters who thinks Ohio State should be banned from bowl games for all of time and is willing to spin any numbers possible to get rid of them.

As to your scenario, I'm not sure it would really change things. The thing keeping Boise State out of the BCS isn't their play or where USC is playing, it's money. There are too many question marks about how much BS fans will travel and bring money with the bowl game. And unfortunately, that's what matters with these. For that reason, Ohio State still has an edge. Under your scenario, If the Rose Bowl can't have USC for the tie-ins, I don't think it will make much difference to them who plays Penn State, so they'll probably opt for one of those other big schools and OSU would get picked up elsewhere. It's not fair to BS, but this is the BCS.

They looked incredible against Fresno!
    she was underwhelmed, if that's a word
  • Options
    gabers wrote:
    I hate Texas but I do believe they should be going to the Big 12 title game. They beat OU on a neutral field and both have one loss. Case closed.

Exactly. This is a bunch of bullshit. Nothing should matter more than the head to head game. If Oklahoma does win they deserve a big ol fucking *. This is exactly why I don't get too into college football. I like to watch the games, root for area teams, but it doesn't end up meaning shit and this is perfect proof of that.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • Options
    Exactly. This is a bunch of bullshit. Nothing should matter more than the head to head game. If Oklahoma does win they deserve a big ol fucking *. This is exactly why I don't get too into college football. I like to watch the games, root for area teams, but it doesn't end up meaning shit and this is perfect proof of that.
    So why shouldn't Texas Tech be ranked ahead of Texas? They beat Texas heads up.
  • Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Tech won on a last second play at home against UT. UT beat OU by 10 on a neutral field.
  • Options
    CServantCServant DCO Posts: 1,182
    gabers wrote:
    Tech won on a last second play at home against UT. UT beat OU by 10 on a neutral field.

A loss is a loss is a loss.

Just do away with having a North Champion and take the 2 highest rated teams in the Championship game. Having said that, Tech still gets screwed!
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain