Options

OU on to national title

CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
edited December 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
Texas is whining because they claim they beat OU in a head to head game, so how can OU be ranked above them? That's fine, if you ignore Tech's win over Texas. All 3 teams are 11-1. All 3 teams are 11-1 in the conference. If you put Texas over OU because of the head to head game you put Tech over Texas because Tech beat them.

And don't forget OU beat Tech by 44 points.

GO SOONERS!!!!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    stylo17stylo17 Posts: 1,001
    so will Texas play in the national title if Missouri beats Oklahoma?
    6/11/08 WPB

♬♪♫ and I will not, grow tired of crayon stars and fire

♬♪♫ cause a soldier's death is so much better than defeat just hanging around
  • Options
    maybe. It depends on the rankings, but I think they would.

We don't like to think about that scenario :D
  • Options
    smg9779smg9779 Posts: 235
    If Alabama beats Florida and Mizzou can beat Oklahoma, it should be Alabama vs USC in the title game. Florida, Oklahoma and Texas will not be conference champions in this scenario so how can you justify putting either of them in the title game? USC has to beat UCLA of course.
    Steve

11/18/97 Oakland
    07/13/98 Los Angeles
    07/14/98 Los Angeles
    10/31/99 Bridge School
    10/28/00 San Bernardino
    10/31/00 Mountain View
    10/21/01 Bridge School
    06/01/03 Mountain View
    07/15/06 SF I
    07/16/06 SF II
    07/18/06 SF III
    10/21/06 Bridge School
    04/07/08 Berkeley
    04/08/08 Berkeley
  • Options
    USC has a case. I just can't see them putting USC above Texas. I am biased, but it just seems the Big 12 has so much more talent than the Pac 10.

Texas lost to Texas Tech, ranked 7th now, and USC lost to Oregon State, who then got KILLED by Oregon. Just based on their schedules I think you have to go with Texas over USC.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,491
    Commy wrote:
    Texas is whining because they claim they beat OU in a head to head game, so how can OU be ranked above them? That's fine, if you ignore Tech's win over Texas. All 3 teams are 11-1. All 3 teams are 11-1 in the conference. If you put Texas over OU because of the head to head game you put Tech over Texas because Tech beat them.

GO SOONERS!!!!!!

I think you're just trying to stir shit! :D
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    I think you're just trying to stir shit! :D
    lol. Sorry I've been reading whining Texas fans complain for the last hour or so.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,256
    Yet another reason for a playoff system...
  • Options
    true.

best case scenario would have been if Florida lost last week, only to win the SEC, so Texas-OU could fight it out int the national title.

I agree, playoffs are the way to go.
  • Options
    even though the computers aren't biased and got it right.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,208
    just because they are whining doesn't mean they aren't correct. College football is a fucking joke. It's a shame because it's great to watch and all but the end is a complete and utter joke.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    just because they are whining doesn't mean they aren't correct. College football is a fucking joke. It's a shame because it's great to watch and all but the end is a complete and utter joke.

College football is greater (IMO) in almost every way to any professional sport.

But you are right, come the end of the year it is a complete joke. We go through this every damn year, and it is soooooo dumb.

They NEED a playoff system!

I know it would be tough to put in, but right now most BigTen teams have a full month off before their next (bowl) game. So timing isn't exactly the most constraining issue as most teams could get in 4 games in this time. Clearly it comes down to the corporations that have the deep pockets that support these bowls, and the schools that absorb the huge amounts of money going into their program.

To hell with the BCS!
  • Options
    petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    mca47 wrote:
    College football is greater (IMO) in almost every way to any professional sport.

But you are right, come the end of the year it is a complete joke. We go through this every damn year, and it is soooooo dumb.

I know it would be tough to put in, but right now most BigTen teams have a full month off before their next (bowl) game. So timing isn't exactly the most constraining issue as most teams could get in 4 games in this time. Clearly it comes down to the corporations that have the deep pockets that support these bowls, and the schools that absorb the huge amounts of money going into their program.

To hell with the BCS!

why cant every bowl game be a round and each team who makes a bowl game has a chance to win the national championship!
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:

To hell with the BCS!

Ohio State had 2 months off before the title game they played against Florida. That's like starting over... playing the first game of the season again. The Big Ten needs to fix their shit and quit with this "done before Thanksgiving" crap.

Over the weekend I realized one thing though. What's the biggest argument FOR the BCS system? This thread. The BCS, love it or hate it, does have every fan constantly talking about college football from about October on. Every week is a cliffhanger and every game potentially cataclysmic for your bowl hopes.
    she was underwhelmed, if that's a word
  • Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    I hate Texas but I do believe they should be going to the Big 12 title game. They beat OU on a neutral field and both have one loss. Case closed.

However, I find it very interesting how everyone keeps looking over Mizzou. They're obviously not a top five team after their recent performances, but they are capable of beating anyone. And they have played OU well for the most part. I expect a close game. Keep it mind it will also be played at Arrowhead Stadium in KC, which is almost a home game for Mizzou.
  • Options
    Many other conferences use the BCS rankings to help determine the division champ but they use it in a better way. In a 3 way tie the team with the lowest BCS ranking gets eliminated and the remaining 2 is based off head to head. In this case Texas would be the winner.

Using team A beat team B but lost to team C never works. Texas was one play from making all this null and void. Texas is better because they beat OU on a neutral field.

If Florida wins and OU losses the BCS title game would be Florida vs Texas. USC is to far behind to make up the difference to get to the title game.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • Options
    Ohio State had 2 months off before the title game they played against Florida. That's like starting over... playing the first game of the season again. The Big Ten needs to fix their shit and quit with this "done before Thanksgiving" crap.

Over the weekend I realized one thing though. What's the biggest argument FOR the BCS system? This thread. The BCS, love it or hate it, does have every fan constantly talking about college football from about October on. Every week is a cliffhanger and every game potentially cataclysmic for your bowl hopes.

Yeah, there is no question that the teams from the Big Ten are at a huge disadvantage by wrapping up their season so early. I'm an Iowa fan and have seen some great teams (Iowa or Big Ten...) finish the year, go to a bowl and look rusty as hell. I understand one of the main reasons they do that is because of winter, but c'mon!! They are shooting themselves in the foot.

I think their is little argument FOR the BCS, but the argument comes not from it's benefit, but from the difficulty in CHANGING it to some sort of playoff system.

If you look at the $, it's easier to see why it hasn't been changed, rather than the logic.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,208
    mca47 wrote:

To hell with the BCS!

agreed - my favorite sport by far is college basketball - college football if it had a playoff would be amazing - this system just sucks. it sucks the life out of the season except for like 2 or 3 teams. It totally sucks that a Penn State has no chance because other people think they aren't as good as the other 1 loss teams (i am not saying they are, just that the system says they aren't). it's insane and until someone (Obama?,TV forces a change it is what we have. It's just funny to hear the apologists trying to lobby for why it is good. just awful.
  • Options
    CServantCServant DCO Posts: 1,182
    This is why the BCS is a joke!!! In my book, it's between Alabama, Utah, Boise State, and Ball State. They are the only undefeated teams left and beat everyone they played. And don't give me this BCS Conference crap! It's not like OU, TX, USC, FLA, couldn't schedule these teams instead of Akron State every year.
    If you're not going to have a playoff, at least do it by record. That would make the non-conference schedules interesting. USC and FLA both lost to teams that couldn't win the WAC, Conference USA, or the Mtn West!
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
  • Options
    PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069
    CServant wrote:
    If you're not going to have a playoff, at least do it by record.

If they went by this criteria, Hawaii would've been playing for the National Championship. That would've been worse than what we got.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • Options
    Commy wrote:

GO SOONERS!!!!!!
    you're just talking like a homer... in ways that completely favor your team only. truth is, no one here in austin is whining... it's the media overhyping it. and we fans simply think the system is anything but fair for the entire college football. cause if you really think about it... out of those 3 teams who had the worse loss?

texas tech, obviously... losing by 44 points.
    then ou losing by 10.
    texas lost only by 6 points... a game which they could've won had they not dropped that interception.

given, ou was beating teams by scoring 60+ points. it's ridiculous that the computer is deciding who goes and who doesn't. because for retarded reasons, "the computer is not biased." of course not motherlicker!

were ou and texas to play 4 times and would texas beat them all those 4 times would ou still be better than texas beacuse of the computer rankings? how unfair was it for texas that after being no. 2 had ou lost they still would be dropped because of the head-to-head loss to texas tech, thus sending texas tech to the bcs title. and if ou would have won texas would've still been eliminated from the title.... because oh for whatever reason now the head-to-head win over the sooners doesn't matter. now the rankings matter. makes no sense. and all for a loss by a measly of 6 points.

it's true ou is a good team and they were dominating a little better. so was texas tech... simply put, system was not fair for either team. and not for ou either.
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
  • Options
    Solat13Solat13 Philadelphia Posts: 6,996
    Commy wrote:
    true.

best case scenario would have been if Florida lost last week, only to win the SEC, so Texas-OU could fight it out int the national title.

I agree, playoffs are the way to go.

The best case scenario for me would be for Missouri to beat Oklahoma and then USC to jump Texas in the BCS setting up this scenario:

Alabama or Florida vs. USC for the NC
    Alabama or Florida vs. Texas in the Sugar Bowl
    BC or VT vs. Cincy in the Orange Bowl
    Missouri vs. Utah in the Fiesta Bowl
    Penn State vs. Boise State in the Rose Bowl

Because in that scenario, there is no way the Rose Bowl committee takes Ohio State for a rematch with Penn State and the only other choices in the top 14 in the BCS rankings would be Boise State, TCU or Ball State.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • Options
    Solat13 wrote:
    The best case scenario for me would be for Missouri to beat Oklahoma and then USC to jump Texas in the BCS setting up this scenario:

Alabama or Florida vs. USC for the NC
    Alabama or Florida vs. Texas in the Sugar Bowl
    BC or VT vs. Cincy in the Orange Bowl
    Missouri vs. Utah in the Fiesta Bowl
    Penn State vs. Boise State in the Rose Bowl

Because in that scenario, there is no way the Rose Bowl committee takes Ohio State for a rematch with Penn State and the only other choices in the top 14 in the BCS rankings would be Boise State, TCU or Ball State.

Why is that the best scenario?
  • Options
    If they went by this criteria, Hawaii would've been playing for the National Championship. That would've been worse than what we got.

Not for me. I'd rather have seen Boise State go to the Championship rather than have to hear the entire nation hating on Ohio State for something that wasn't their fault.
  • Options
    This thread wouldn't exist if there was a playoff.
  • Options
    Not for me. I'd rather have seen Boise State go to the Championship rather than have to hear the entire nation hating on Ohio State for something that wasn't their fault.

Perhaps, but would that be the case if OSU would have won? Hardly. As a matter of fact, it would've been considered revenge from the year before, but that wasn't the case.

Believe me, I think the BCS is a flawed system, but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere anytime soon. The first step in fixing this system, aside from scrapping the entire thing (which isn't going anywhere for the time being), is taking the weight preseason polls have away. Preseason polls are the reason these ridiculous match-ups happen. Take away the weight preseason polls have, and you will be one step closer to a better system albeit still a flawed one. It's gonna take a few small steps before we will ever get what we truly want.

College football is one of the few businesses I know where they consistently refuse to give their "customers" what they ask for.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I wonder how big game Bob will explain his defense sucking when they lose the Bowl game AGAIN.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Perhaps, but would that be the case if OSU would have won? Hardly. As a matter of fact, it would've been considered revenge from the year before, but that wasn't the case.

No. But OSU was not going to win. They were rebuilding and the Big Ten was weak. LSU was pre-season #1. I'm a diehard Buckeye fan, but they weren't a top 5 team last year, maybe not even a top 10 teams. Certainly not one of the top 2. It just annoys me that people act like Ohio State cheated to get there. It's a problem of the BCS, not some insidious plot by the Buckeyes.
    Believe me, I think the BCS is a flawed system, but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere anytime soon. The first step in fixing this system, aside from scrapping the entire thing (which isn't going anywhere for the time being), is taking the weight preseason polls have away. Preseason polls are the reason these ridiculous match-ups happen. Take away the weight preseason polls have, and you will be one step closer to a better system albeit still a flawed one. It's gonna take a few small steps before we will ever get what we truly want.

College football is one of the few businesses I know where they consistently refuse to give their "customers" what they ask for.

I don't know what influence pre-season polls have on things. There's no way to stop them though, each major news source does it and no one can stop them.
  • Options

I don't know what influence pre-season polls have on things. There's no way to stop them though, each major news source does it and no one can stop them.

I'm not saying get rid of preseason polls altogether. I'm just saying take the weight they carry away. Perhaps a slate for rankings that become official in week five or so, but they shouldn't carry any weight during the first couple of weeks.

I also don't believe Ohio State was "cheating." I believe they were cheated for being put in the spot much in the same way Hawaii was cheated for being put in that spot. Personally, I felt Georgia and USC were cheated by not allowing the two to play in the Rose Bowl together, and the fans were cheated by having to watch a sub-par Sugar and Rose Bowl.
  • Options
    Solat13Solat13 Philadelphia Posts: 6,996
    Why is that the best scenario?

Because Boise was ranked 36 preseason and have 65 freshman on the roster. It's going to be funny when they go undefeated again next year for the 4th in 6 years in the regular season but actually start the season ranked in the top 25 and wind up playing for the title.

The Big Ten has one quality non conference win all season and that was Penn State beating Oregon State at home.

Boise State beat Oregon on the road and is more deserving of going to a BCS game than Ohio State but will only go to one if my above scenario comes to fruition.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • Options
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    I wonder how big game Bob will explain his defense sucking when they lose the Bowl game AGAIN.
    No one can stop OU's offense, not even in the NC.