Why do titles change from the UK to the US?

soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
edited November 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
speaks for itself. the first harry potter is called "the philosopher's stone" there, "sorcerer's stone" here. the "golden compass" was called "northern lights" over there. what gives? why the change?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• speaks for itself. the first harry potter is called "the philosopher's stone" there, "sorcerer's stone" here. the "golden compass" was called "northern lights" over there. what gives? why the change?

well as far as I understand the Harry Potter case, the publisher didn't think "philosopher" would sell to american kids. Also why J.K. Rowling is "Joanne" on the books in Europe- there's been marketing research that american boys won't read books written by women.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    well as far as I understand the Harry Potter case, the publisher didn't think "philosopher" would sell to american kids. Also why J.K. Rowling is "Joanne" on the books in Europe- there's been marketing research that american boys won't read books written by women.

i really wish that weren't true, but it sounds pretty plausible. i've heard about boys not reading books by women and i suppose that makes sense. but the other one... if it's true it's ironclad proof our culture is fucking dumber than bricks.
  • smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    well as far as I understand the Harry Potter case, the publisher didn't think "philosopher" would sell to american kids.

This is true, also true with the movie.
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • i really wish that weren't true, but it sounds pretty plausible. i've heard about boys not reading books by women and i suppose that makes sense. but the other one... if it's true it's ironclad proof our culture is fucking dumber than bricks.

I don't think it was really an issue of being dumber...I think the word "philosopher" is more common and has a slightly different meaning in the UK or something- or it has multiple meanings, where as it really doesn't here...something like that.
    I don't think it was really an issue of being dumber...I think the word "philosopher" is more common and has a slightly different meaning in the UK or something- or it has multiple meanings, where as it really doesn't here...something like that.

where are our brits at? someone's got to be able to speak to this. i just figured it meant americans think anything to do with heavy thought is too lame to read and sorcerer's are cool. maybe it's not that.

i still think the average american is a fucking idiot though.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    its actually cos they realise americans are a bit more, ehhhh, ignorant for lack of a better word, of the world around them

the best example i can think of is that the brilliant move "Madness of King George III" was released in America as "The Madness of King George"

this was done cos US test marketing found that a surprising amount of the general US public thought it was the third film in a trilogy :o
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • dunkman wrote:
    its actually cos they realise americans are a bit more, ehhhh, ignorant for lack of a better word, of the world around them

the best example i can think of is that the brilliant move "Madness of King George III" was released in America as "The Madness of King George"

this was done cos US test marketing found that a surprising amount of the general US public thought it was the third film in a trilogy :o

AHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I get the whole philosopher thing (vaguely) but why they had to change Northern Lights into the Golden Compass I have no fecking idea. It eludes me. I mean, doesn't Alaska have its own sky phenomenon like the Northern Lights? So it's not as if they haven't heard of them.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I guess the English are more sophisticated. They have to dumb things down for Americans....
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
    I don't think it was really an issue of being dumber...I think the word "philosopher" is more common and has a slightly different meaning in the UK or something-

simply not true i'm afraid.. a philosopher is a philosopher in the UK... and its not any more or less common than sorcerer...

its because the word 'philosopher' is less known IN THE US.. not because we in the UK use it more
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.

the average Brit is a fucking idiot as well... we just know what philosopher means :D
    dunkman wrote:

that sounds a lot like a joke that has become a "true" urban legend. but in general, the sentiment is sadly true.
  • chinobaezachinobaeza Santiago Posts: 2,489
    dunkman wrote:

LOL....please tell me your are joking!!
    :D:D:D:D
    dunkman wrote:
    the average Brit is a fucking idiot as well... we just know what philosopher means :D

i think americans do too. they just think "philosopher? that sounds like sitting around thinking and talking. no good. we hate thinking. sorcerer? now we're talking! swords, magic, dungeons and dragons! bruce lee kicking ass in the movie! let's do it!"
  • dunkman wrote:
    simply not true i'm afraid.. a philosopher is a philosopher in the UK... and its not any more or less common than sorcerer...

its because the word 'philosopher' is less known IN THE US.. not because we in the UK use it more

Surely 'Philsopher' and 'sorceror' could not be any more different, in anyone's language.

Unless they were 'garden gnome' and 'jet fighter'...
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    speaks for itself. the first harry potter is called "the philosopher's stone" there, "sorcerer's stone" here. the "golden compass" was called "northern lights" over there. what gives? why the change?

yeah how about when they translate those titles to spanish ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    It's kind of offensive...I'm sure Britain has it's fair share of dumbasses too. But yeah that's how it goes.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
    yeah how about when they translate those titles to spanish ....

i can understand a difficulty changing to another language. but we speak the same language. it has to be about context or market data. what is the spanish title? is it based off the american or british one?
  • i can understand a difficulty changing to another language. but we speak the same language. it has to be about context or market data. what is the spanish title? is it based off the american or british one?

I wonder if they'll just change it to 'El Poco Amigo' just to allow the widest possible audience.

i think americans do too. they just think "philosopher? that sounds like sitting around thinking and talking. no good. we hate thinking. sorcerer? now we're talking! swords, magic, dungeons and dragons! bruce lee kicking ass in the movie! let's do it!"

i'd agree with you there amigo :)
    AHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I get the whole philosopher thing (vaguely) but why they had to change Northern Lights into the Golden Compass I have no fecking idea. It eludes me. I mean, doesn't Alaska have its own sky phenomenon like the Northern Lights? So it's not as if they haven't heard of them.

i guarantee you that a nation of people who believe that the entire UK comprises of just England have no idea what the Northern Lights are... and as Souly said... Golden Compass means adventure, intrigue, etc... Northern Lights might make them think... hmmmm a movie about Eskimo electricians.

me: i'm from the UK
    guy: hey man you're from the England!!! cool
    me: nah.. Scotland.. the UK?
    guy: isnt the UK just England?
    me: what fucking part of 'united' confuses you?
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    The philosophers stone comes from alchemy and according to legend could turn metal into gold.

Don't understand The Golden Compass one either as it isn't a compass it's an aliethiometer :p
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • dunkman wrote:
    i guarantee you that a nation of people who believe that the entire UK comprises of just England have no idea what the Northern Lights are... and as Souly said... Golden Compass means adventure, intrigue, etc... Northern Lights might make them think... hmmmm a movie about Eskimo electricians.

me: i'm from the UK
    guy: hey man you're from the England!!! cool
    me: nah.. Scotland.. the UK?
    guy: isnt the UK just England?
    me: what fucking part of 'united' confuses you?

And then you could take them to a Manchester United game, just to see the look on their face. 'Yeah, some people just call them 'Man U' or 'United'. :D

• KannKann Posts: 1,146
    Chime wrote:
    The philosophers stone comes from alchemy and according to legend could turn metal into gold.

Don't understand The Golden Compass one either as it isn't a compass it's an aliethiometer :P

Yes, I think the editor was afraid of the confusion : philosopher's stone the alchemy material and philosospher : the boring guy who talks too much. Didn't want to convey a wrong impression.
    I think the Northern lights is the same type of stuff, it's supposed to be the aurora borealis, but may be confused as just basic lights from the north I guess :).
  • Chime wrote:

Don't understand The Golden Compass one either as it isn't a compass it's an aliethiometer :p

I don't think the Golden Aliethiometer has the same ring to it. ;)

the Aureate Aliethiometer ;):D
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838

Nah ... but The Northern Lights doesn't sound too bad ;)
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • chinobaezachinobaeza Santiago Posts: 2,489
    i can understand a difficulty changing to another language. but we speak the same language. it has to be about context or market data. what is the spanish title? is it based off the american or british one?
    british
    the philosopher's stone = la piedra filosofal
    northern lights = Luces del norte
    chinobaeza wrote:
    british
    the philosopher's stone = la piedra filosofal
    northern lights = Luces del norte

stupid americans.

for the record, northern lights is a much cooler title than golden compass. maybe they thought it would encourage drug use in kids? god knows we're pretty paranoid about that nonsense. what about the second book or later harry potter books? are those the same? im surprised subtle knife passed muster... subtlety is not very american.
  • I remember when the 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' was changed to '...Hero Turtles' in this country because someone objected to the word 'Ninja'.
  • LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,069

makes me glad I am not "average"!! :)
    I remember when the 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' was changed to '...Hero Turtles' in this country because someone objected to the word 'Ninja'.
    but not the word Mutant? that's funny.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me