Waiters: How much do you tip out?

Comments

• mookie9999 wrote:
    Are you prepared to pay higher amounts for food to balance out for not tipping? I'm not sure about other cities/states/countries, but seeing how the majority of restaurant owners in NYC are greedy, cokehead thieves, if they were required to pay a decent wage to their employees, I guarantee you would feel it a lot more in your wallet than a 20% tip.
    And when their restaurants become empty, they will have to reconsider.
    "When you're climbing to the top, you'd better know the way back down" MSB
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    And when their restaurants become empty, they will have to reconsider.

I can't speak for the rest of the world, but this approach will not work in NYC. People, with way too much money, eat out far too often and will continue to regardless.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    rhinomagic wrote:
    Forgive me if I missed the original point, but it seems to me that you're asking the people who actually serve tables how much we tip-out to bartenders, bussers, or any of our other co-workers for their services throughout the shift.

Is that correct?

If so, I don't understand the 30-40% guideline. Unless you're working at some place where you walk with $500.00 each night, why are you giving away one-third of your take? Our restaurant has a tip-share program where each server gives 3% of his/her sales to the house. That 3% is re-distributed to bartenders (who make their own tips from bar customers), bussers, and hosts (who each earn a higher wage per hour than servers/bartenders).

Given my situation, 30% of the night's sales sounds like highway robbery. If it's 30% of the night's earnings, it still sounds a little steep. Help me understand.

When I bussed tables, we had the same tip-share program that you used. I didn't mind sharing the tips with the hosts/hostesses, but it pissed me off when the bartenders got part of that money with them making their own tips.
  • mookie9999 wrote:
    I can't speak for the rest of the world, but this approach will not work in NYC. People, with way too much money, eat out far too often and will continue to regardless.
    So be it. If they have the money to burn. Let em.
    "When you're climbing to the top, you'd better know the way back down" MSB
  • what is a bar back?
    how many hours did you work?

I worked 8 hours but I make 5 dollars an hour then I get tips. We were slow last night so I only made 30 but then i had to pay for the food I ate so that was 5 dollars.

A Bar Back does all the bitch work for a bar. We stock beer, change kegs, wash dishes etc... I love my job though. On a good night ill make like 70 dollars in tips at five dollars an hour.
    Shows:
    San Diego 2003
    Grand Rapids 2004
    Grand Rapids 2006
    Detroit 2006
    Columbus 2010

"With my own two hands I can change the world."
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    mookie9999 wrote:
    To the non-tippers out there because you don't favor the American way, you are paying for it in the cost of the food where you live.

so in america my meal costs $20 and so i tip $5 for the pleasure of being in America... in Scotland i'll pay £25... same difference :) the only difference is i didnt have a sycophantic waitress all over me cleaning my table and asking if i need a refill every sip... you know she's only doing that to get a tip... and in that way ots like being a prostitute.. she may as well slap her jugs on my dinner plate and allow me to lick them

I know what some people pay in NYC to rent their restaurant,and I assure you, you wouldn't want to see what the prices on the menu would be if the owners paid a better wage. What are the costs in other countries to run a restaurant?

London is per sq metre the worlds most expensive real estate... http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7007280746 and yet they pay their staff minimum wage.. they still run a successful business???? how can this be... and remember that americans eat more than anyone else in the world!! so if London restaurants can pay minimum wage with no obligatory tipping then so can the rest of the world
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    dunkman wrote:
    same as a dentist, bus driver, shoe salesperson, air hostess, etc etc... i think its called 'professional pride'

i want the same level of service from anyone regardless if they get paid shit or not.. not my problem... they should have listened at school.... i dont tip my dentist, i've never tipped an air hostess who served me a meal.... so why tip people? I think Finsy said it best back in this thread... its self-aggrandising... its the american way.. lets flash cash around and whats more we'll flash it most to the people who get paid the least to let them know we earn more than them and that they should smile at me so i will bestow an extra $5 dollars on them.

its almost prostitution

yeah, cos holdover jobs occupied largely by transient high school and college kids carry a lot of pride. i remember when i became a card-carrying member of the american grocery bagger's union. i tear up still when i remember the swelling of my heart that day. or it might have been the fumes from the cleaner i was using to mop up baby vomit. but i felt like i'd really accomplished something that day.
    dunkman wrote:
    so in americfa my meal costs $20 and so i tip $5 for the pleasure of being in America... in Scotland i'll pay £25... same difference :) the only difference is i didnt have a sycophantic waitress all over me cleaning my table and asking if i need a refill every sip... you know she's only doing that to get a tip... and in that way ots like being a prostitute.. she may as well slap her jugs on my dinner plate and allow me to lick them

London is per sq metre the worlds most expensive real estate... http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7007280746 and yet they pay their staff minimum wage.. they still run a successful business???? how can this be... and remember that americans eat more than anyone else in the world!! so if London restaurants can pay minimum wage with no obligatory tipping then so can the rest of the world

i find it very funny that a scotsman here yearns for the rest of the world to be just like london.

and 25 pounds is twice as much as $25. it's called an exchange rate. you should tip the waitress and thank her for saving your niggardly foreign ass money.
    yeah, cos holdover jobs occupied largely by transient high school and college kids carry a lot of pride. i remember when i became a card-carrying member of the american grocery bagger's union. i tear up still when i remember the swelling of my heart that day. or it might have been the fumes from the cleaner i was using to mop up baby vomit. but i felt like i'd really accomplished something that day.

was it sarcasm class today Souly? here have $5 for being a grocery packer... simply because you doing that shit job made me laugh
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    dunkman wrote:
    was it sarcasm class today Souly? here have $5 for being a grocery packer... simply because you doing that shit job made me laugh

actually, all my brothers bagged groceries. i worked in the library shelving books. great job to do when you're high... you're not ALLOWED to talk to anyone.
    i find it very funny that a scotsman here yearns for the rest of the world to be just like london.

and 25 pounds is twice as much as $25. it's called an exchange rate. you should tip the waitress and thank her for saving your niggardly foreign ass money.

i meant to use the $ instead of the £... basically meal costs are the same here as over on your side of the murder pond.

i'm tipping no fucker :)
    dunkman wrote:
    i meant to use the $ instead of the £... basically meal costs are the same here as over on your side of the murder pond.

yeah, but you have to admit i'd deserve a little something something for slipping 'niggardly' into a sentence. that's a sweet word that never gets used.
    actually, all my brothers bagged groceries. i worked in the library shelving books. great job to do when you're high... you're not ALLOWED to talk to anyone.

so you werent allowed to talk to anyone? people should be tipping you for that... that i agree with. :);)
  • SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    dunkman wrote:
    yes.. its called Imaginaryland and they get paid in strippers

p.s. your signature is brilliant :)

My mistake. It's just what I heard. Payment in strippers does seem loverly though.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
    dunkman wrote:

And that's exactly why servers will huddle and draw straws to see which one will have to be forced to deal with your non-tipping ass.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

mookie9999 wrote:
    And that's exactly why servers will huddle and draw straws to see which one will have to be forced to deal with your non-tipping ass.

you presume that i go to the same place all the time... if i go to a restaurant i've never been to before then they'll not know i dont tip... and as tipping isnt commonly done over here in the UK i can frequent where i want without concerning myself with ooohhh should i leave 10% or 13%.. was the waiter quick, did he offer me 17 refills, etc etc

i get a bill for £18.87 and i pay that....

i bought a sofa recently... the sign said £399.. so thats what i paid.. i didnt think "hmmm maybe i should pay the salemen 3% of that" so why would i do that at a restaurant?

its just a dumb system... if business is really really slow one night then the staff get no pay??? thats awful.. i'd expect that sort of treatment of staff in southern India.. but america, the land of the free and home of the cashwavers... no, i presumed they'd treat their staff with respect and decency.
  • SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    dunkman wrote:
    you presume that i go to the same place all the time... if i go to a restaurant i've never been to before then they'll not know i dont tip... and as tipping isnt commonly done over here in the UK i can frequent where i want without concerning myself with ooohhh should i leave 10% or 13%.. was the waiter quick, did he offer me 17 refills, etc etc

i get a bill for £18.87 and i pay that....

i bought a sofa recently... the sign said £399.. so thats what i paid.. i didnt think "hmmm maybe i should pay the salemen 3% of that" so why would i do that at a restaurant?

its just a dumb system... if business is really really slow one night then the staff get no pay??? thats awful.. i'd expect that sort of treatment of staff in southern India.. but america, the land of the free and home of the cashwavers... no, i presumed they'd treat their staff with respect and decency.

I don't think that too many people expect much of a tip from a Scotsman anyway. Scotsmen and black men don't tip, right?

Tipping is a good practice I think. See the dialog about tipping at the beginning of Reservoir Dogs for an explanation on why it is good. I generally tip 15% every time I go out unless the service was absolutely horrible. In that case I tip nothing and relish in the fact that I likely cost the server money by leaving no tip.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • I think it's the whole American system of add ons... what you see is never what you get and it's a fucking pain in the arse... you see something at a certain price, then you go to pay, then they add on tax, next thing ya know they're charging you for the honour of serving you :rolleyes: . Over here it's all included... one price for all. Like I've said before, they don't split your bill into 'wages, food, overheads, profit' do they? So why should wages be singled out? And to mookie who said that it will all be included in the cost of our food, well it is and we still think it's a better system... and it's still not much more expensive than over there (if any when you take cost of living into account). It's not rocket science.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • evenkatevenkat Posts: 380
    I think it's the whole American system of add ons... what you see is never what you get and it's a fucking pain in the arse... you see something at a certain price, then you go to pay, then they add on tax, next thing ya know they're charging you for the honour of serving you :rolleyes: . Over here it's all included... one price for all. Like I've said before, they don't split your bill into 'wages, food, overheads, profit' do they? So why should wages be singled out? And to mookie who said that it will all be included in the cost of our food, well it is and we still think it's a better system... and it's still not much more expensive than over there (if any when you take cost of living into account). It's not rocket science.

Tipping is not rocket science either :D .

Tipping was a topic in our Ireland tour package. We tipped when we were in Ireland. We were told to tip but not as much as we would tip here but of course we did anyway lol. We even tipped our tour driver but again we were told we should tip him too.
    "...believe in lies...to get by...it's divine...whoa...oh, you know what its like..."
  • evenkat wrote:
    Tipping is not rocket science either :D .

Tipping was a topic in our Ireland tour package. We tipped when we were in Ireland. We were told to tip but not as much as we would tip here but of course we did anyway lol. We even tipped our tour driver but again we were told we should tip him too.
    :D but what I mean is... if I buy something, actually here it's the law that the price must be on show... and that's all you're charged. So everything is included. and it makes sense. What's the point in looking at a menu and thinking 'ok so that's 15.95 + 12.5% tax + 15% tip... hmm... let me get my calculator out' :confused: rather than... say the total on the bill being 19.30. Which one is easiest? Which one makes more sense? Over here if you run a business, your employees are your responsibility, as are your taxes... everything should be just included. I want to know what my feckin meal costs... just one price... not three different prices... it's STUPID!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    :D but what I mean is... if I buy something, actually here it's the law that the price must be on show... and that's all you're charged. So everything is included. and it makes sense. What's the point in looking at a menu and thinking 'ok so that's 15.95 + 12.5% tax + 15% tip... hmm... let me get my calculator out' :confused: rather than... say the total on the bill being 19.30. Which one is easiest? Which one makes more sense? Over here if you run a business, your employees are your responsibility, as are your taxes... everything should be just included. I want to know what my feckin meal costs... just one price... not three different prices... it's STUPID!

23924 posts so far Hells and thats by far your best...

3 high fives and 2 hail marys :):)
  • dunkman wrote:
    23924 posts so far Hells and thats by far your best...

3 high fives and 2 hail marys :):)
    :D I'll be the judge of what my best post is :) well actually no, cos I can't be bothered.

But I will say this: Jesus fucking christ, how fucking hard is it to understand? :eek:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • DerrickDerrick Posts: 475
    @ The Europeans:

Tipping is an effective way of weeding out bad wait staff. If a waiter/waitress isn't making 10-15 percent of the bill on tips in a night, they will not be in that line of work much longer. So what you are left with... is the people that provide good enough service to bring in good tips.

I typically leave 15% of the pretax total or 10% of the post-tax total. The 10% one is easier to figure out if I've had a few drinks. If the service is bad, I will leave a couple dollars...maybe. But to be perfectly honest, I can't remember the last time I've had such bad service that I've considered not tipping.

Also where I live, if there is ever a mistake in the experience, the manager will come out and make sure the bill is adjusted accordingly. The other night we went out with friends to East Side Mario's and the kids' meals didn't come out until well after the adult meals. A manager came by when the meals were out and apologized. She indicated there would be no charge for the kids' meals. As such, I didn't mind tipping still.

Most places here split the tips with the kitchen staff and hosting staff, so they are managed by managers...I know for a fact if someone is consistently getting bad tips, they aren't kept around much, or are often sent home early.
    :D I'll be the judge of what my best post is :) well actually no, cos I can't be bothered.

But I will say this: Jesus fucking christ, how fucking hard is it to understand? :eek:

and i'll be the judge of what i think your best post is... so shut up

p.s. i'll tip you 5% to shut up :)
  • Derrick wrote:
    @ The Europeans:

Tipping is an effective way of weeding out bad wait staff. If a waiter/waitress isn't making 10-15 percent of the bill on tips in a night, they will not be in that line of work much longer. So what you are left with... is the people that provide good enough service to bring in good tips.

I typically leave 15% of the pretax total or 10% of the post-tax total. The 10% one is easier to figure out if I've had a few drinks. If the service is bad, I will leave a couple dollars...maybe. But to be perfectly honest, I can't remember the last time I've had such bad service that I've considered not tipping.

Also where I live, if there is ever a mistake in the experience, the manager will come out and make sure the bill is adjusted accordingly. The other night we went out with friends to East Side Mario's and the kids' meals didn't come out until well after the adult meals. A manager came by when the meals were out and apologized. She indicated there would be no charge for the kids' meals. As such, I didn't mind tipping still.

Most places here split the tips with the kitchen staff and hosting staff, so they are managed by managers...I know for a fact if someone is consistently getting bad tips, they aren't kept around much, or are often sent home early.
    we have the same things here... if someone has a complaint they will more than likely take something off the bill... and normally resolve it in such a way that the person's quite happy leaving the place. I used to love getting complaints cos customer care is one of my strong points (i.e. I'm a good bullshitter) and I KNEW I'd get a tip out of it.

Over here we PAY the kitchen and hosting staff. Over here, if someone isn't doing their job they're got rid of. Everything's pretty much the same except the bill is all one figure... I dunno what you're all so afraid of :) . Only difference is that here... the government regulates your wages to make sure nobody's being ripped off... over there, if you have a quiet night (hardly your fault) you don't get paid :o doesn't make sense.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • dunkman wrote:
    and i'll be the judge of what i think your best post is... so shut up

p.s. i'll tip you 5% to shut up :)
    make it 17.85% + tax and it's a deal :cool:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    And to mookie who said that it will all be included in the cost of our food, well it is and we still think it's a better system... and it's still not much more expensive than over there (if any when you take cost of living into account). It's not rocket science.

No offense, but you can't compare you tiny ass country with America and say "it's still not much more expensive..." It never will be a direct comparison. Plus, depending on where you are dining, and taking account of the exchange rate, and how damn weak our fecking dollar is right now, there is NO WAY that prices are close. So factor everything in, and you will see, for the most part, you are getting a bargain for eating out in the States. The only trouble is having to figure out the tip, which apparently is a tough mathematical equation for some. When I'm in other countries I do what is customary (regardless if I agree or don't), why is that such a frustrating concept for you folks?
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• mookie9999 wrote:
    No offense, but you can't compare you tiny ass country with America and say "it's still not much more expensive..." It never will be a direct comparison. Plus, depending on where you are dining, and taking account of the exchange rate, and how damn weak our fecking dollar is right now, there is NO WAY that prices are close. So factor everything in, and you will see, for the most part, you are getting a bargain for eating out in the States. The only trouble is having to figure out the tip, which apparently is a tough mathematical equation for some. When I'm in other countries I do what is customary (regardless if I agree or don't), why is that such a frustrating concept for you folks?
    :confused: what part of my posts are you actually READING??? Yep, the two are comparable... NYC I find actually more expensive than Dublin, Chicago I found to be pretty much on a par with where I come from, Delaware was much cheaper than both. I've been over there so yeh, I believe I CAN compare... you're getting pretty annoyed about this. It is MY opinion that our way works better... and it does... you get one price for the entire meal. And I'm making those comparisons BEFORE tips :confused: and I've been to a lot of places in Europe too... so I believe I'm qualified to compare as are most others here. And yeh, Prices ARE that close! And considering Ireland has a relatively high cost of living... for the two to STILL be comparable says a lot
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    :confused: what part of my posts are you actually READING??? Yep, the two are comparable... NYC I find actually more expensive than Dublin, Chicago I found to be pretty much on a par with where I come from, Delaware was much cheaper than both. I've been over there so yeh, I believe I CAN compare... you're getting pretty annoyed about this. It is MY opinion that our way works better... and it does... you get one price for the entire meal. And I'm making those comparisons BEFORE tips :confused: and I've been to a lot of places in Europe too... so I believe I'm qualified to compare as are most others here. And yeh, Prices ARE that close

For the record I don't have time to get annoyed by things of this nature when I have bigger fish to fry, such as what am I eating for lunch . By the way, I think your way is better, but as I stated in my post (I guess selective reading is prevalent in Ireland as well) you should follow the customs of wherever you are. Now, I remember reading that you do tip, but those who say they will not tip here in the States shouldn't eat out when visiting. If you do, you are ruining it for the tourists who do tip because having worked at a restaurant in NYC I know that servers will be prejudiced and will dread serving you.
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• evenkatevenkat Posts: 380

:D So what you're saying is we're smarter than you ;) .

Of course it's easier not needing to fugure out everything in our heads but we're pretty much used to it.

Lol but there IS tipping in Ireland!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186591-s606/Ireland:Tipping.And.Etiquette.html

Inside Ireland: Tipping & Etiquette

Tipping

Tipping is expected in Ireland in most services. In restaurants, gratuity is usually included for larger parties but not for smaller. Dependent on the style and calibre of restaurant, tipping of at least 10% upwards is expected.

Hotel porters are usually tipped €1 a bag. Taxi's are usually rounded up to the next € or €. While barman do not expect tips, lounge staff (floor serving staff) do and €1 or €2 for a large round is considered acceptable.

And tipping in Scotland Dunky:

http://www.seeglasgow.com/seeglasgow/travellers-tips

Tipping

There are no hard and fast rules for tipping in Scotland. If you are happy with the service, a 10-15% tip is customary, particularly in a restaurant or café with table service. Tipping in bars is not expected. For taxi fares it is usual to round up to the nearest pound (£).

http://www.cozzee-nessie-bed.co.uk/expect.html

Tips and tipping

This is a custom many people have problems with but there is no reason for it to cause any concern. First, if you don't want to tip don't - it's as simple as that. If you do want to tip follow these guidelines...Never ever tip when you have received in your view bad service. You should expect good service so I would not tip for good service. However I would thank the person concerned for carrying out their duties. If you have received outstanding service then tip and thank the person concerned. A tip is usually worked out at 10% of the total bill. If possible tip in cash, this will ensure the person that has given you outstanding service will definitely keep the tip. Some less scrupulous proprietors will keep the tip if paid with the credit card - and the credit card company also gets a cut. Who to tip? Once again this is only if you have received outstanding service. Any person offering you a service in an hotel. Waiters, bell boys etc. However don't forget the people you don't see, house maids etc. Taxis, hairdressers, coach drivers of tour busses not scheduled busses. People working behind a bar are usually offered a drink and not tipped. The person concerned will usually ask if you mind if they drink it later and take a nominal amount.
    "...believe in lies...to get by...it's divine...whoa...oh, you know what its like..."