Options

Waiters: How much do you tip out?

124»

Comments

• Options
    [quote="evenkatTips and tipping

This is a custom many people have problems with but there is no reason for it to cause any concern. First, if you don't want to tip don't - it's as simple as that. If you do want to tip follow these guidelines...Never ever tip when you have received in your view bad service. You should expect good service so I would not tip for good service. However I would thank the person concerned for carrying out their duties. [/quote"]

Thank You. This is what I believe in. :)

(Sorry about the quote).
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    evenkat wrote:
    And tipping in Scotland Dunky:

http://www.seeglasgow.com/seeglasgow/travellers-tips

Tipping

There are no hard and fast rules for tipping in Scotland. If you are happy with the service, a 10-15% tip is customary, particularly in a restaurant or café with table service. Tipping in bars is not expected. For taxi fares it is usual to round up to the nearest pound (£).

an Englishman wrote that as a joke. ;)

its only customary... whereas in US & CAN its almost obligatory... i've even read on here that people still tip a dollar or two if the service is lousy... :confused: if the service is lousy in Scotland we complain to the manager who usually gives us a free drink or some other concession... but certainly no tip would be left for shitty service.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    mookie9999 wrote:
    For the record I don't have time to get annoyed by things of this nature when I have bigger fish to fry, such as what am I eating for lunch . By the way, I think your way is better, but as I stated in my post (I guess selective reading is prevalent in Ireland as well) you should follow the customs of wherever you are. Now, I remember reading that you do tip, but those who say they will not tip here in the States shouldn't eat out when visiting. If you do, you are ruining it for the tourists who do tip because having worked at a restaurant in NYC I know that servers will be prejudiced and will dread serving you.
    yep I tip and I follow the customs of whatever country I'm in... doesn't mean I have to like it :o If I were in certain countries I'd have to walk 10 steps behind any male friends I'd have with me... that's why I don't go to those countries... tipping I can put up with but I'm just debating the logic in COMPULSORY tipping! If I get good to excellent service I've absolutely no problem being pretty generous. Anything less than good though... well that's a different story and I don't think anyone should HAVE to tip in such circumstances.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    evenkat wrote:
    Tipping

Tipping is expected in Ireland in most services. In restaurants, gratuity is usually included for larger parties but not for smaller. Dependent on the style and calibre of restaurant, tipping of at least 10% upwards is expected.

Hotel porters are usually tipped €1 a bag. Taxi's are usually rounded up to the next € or €. While barman do not expect tips, lounge staff (floor serving staff) do and €1 or €2 for a large round is considered acceptable.
    Nah, we've sorted this one out before. It's certainly not expected... far from it. And I never do it in percentage... just leave anything from 2 to 10 euro (the latter for super exceptional service). I never tip hotel porters... mainly cos I never use them so I'm not sure about that... depends on whether you're used to tipping or not I suppose. Taxi's... now this one is WRONG... I wouldn't round it up to the nearest euro but to the nearest 5euro. If my trip is 26.50 I'd give him 30 and tell him to keep it... but often taxi drivers round the fare DOWN... if it was 26.50, he'd often say 'but just leave it at 25'. Lounge staff... that one's just about right... but irrespective of the size of the round... even if it's just 2 drinks you generally tell them to keep the change whether it's a euro or two.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you