Who are you picking for tomorrow nites game?

13»

Comments

• ryan198ryan198 Posts: 1,025
    pureoc wrote:
    WELL, WELL said. Favre above any player in the NFL and probably all of sports (except Tiger and maybe Jordan when he was still playing) has earned the respect and praise from commentators. As far as Romo's celeb status, I think it has more to do with the although hot, airheaded woman he dates. He's a decent QB but he's got a long, long way to go to be in the same universe as Favre.
    I'm sure I am arguing with fellow Brew Crew fans so this is difficult for me, but c'mon how is Favre such a god to you guys? Is that what one super bowl win does for you? It was a long wait so I guess I see it...if Prince, Brauny-bat flip, or someone else was the main reason they ever won anything I'd love them unconditionally as well...but I never had the same unrequited love for Troy Aikman, or Emmitt Smith (Michael Irvin and JJ are different b/c they came from the U so I kinda love them alot but could see why they got criticized). It just seems to me that for Packer fans and many in the media Favre is above criticism, Romo is nowhere near that and I like it.

Further, let's not forget that Favre illegally obtained a controlled substance, which is very addictive I know (had a bit of an issue with it when I played ball), but this is often conviently forgotten that he got this stuff illegally (through his wife I believe...you all seem to know more than I), and many make it seem like it wasn't a big deal. According to American law getting Vicodin illegally is no different than smoking pot, and you can't really argue that...using an illegally obtained controlled substance is illegal AND I am pretty sure against league policy.

Also, unlike your example of Romo with a dime bag in college (which could have happened) Favre did it WHILE he was in the league. Using an illegally obtained controlled substance while playing should get you a 4 game suspension, that's pretty much the rule as I understand it in the league drug policy (see: http://www.nflpa.org/pdfs/RulesAndRegs/Drug_Policy_2007.pdf) ... I could be wrong or misread it but it says on the first page of written stuff that this was a clear violation.
  • PJ_SalukiPJ_Saluki Posts: 1,006
    As much as it pains me to write this, I think Dallas is going to win by at least a TD. I heard Woodson is doubtful, so T.O. is going to go ape. Whitten is a beast down the seam. Barber and Jones are a nice one-two puch in the running game. I really think the 'boys offense is just too talented. At some point, and not only in the playoffs, GB's inability to consistently run the ball is going to catch up to it. I think this is the week.
    "Almost all those politicians took money from Enron, and there they are holding hearings. That's like O.J. Simpson getting in the Rae Carruth jury pool." -- Charles Barkley
  • ryan198 wrote:
    I'm sure I am arguing with fellow Brew Crew fans so this is difficult for me, but c'mon how is Favre such a god to you guys? Is that what one super bowl win does for you? It was a long wait so I guess I see it...if Prince, Brauny-bat flip, or someone else was the main reason they ever won anything I'd love them unconditionally as well...but I never had the same unrequited love for Troy Aikman, or Emmitt Smith (Michael Irvin and JJ are different b/c they came from the U so I kinda love them alot but could see why they got criticized). It just seems to me that for Packer fans and many in the media Favre is above criticism, Romo is nowhere near that and I like it.

Further, let's not forget that Favre illegally obtained a controlled substance, which is very addictive I know (had a bit of an issue with it when I played ball), but this is often conviently forgotten that he got this stuff illegally (through his wife I believe...you all seem to know more than I), and many make it seem like it wasn't a big deal. According to American law getting Vicodin illegally is no different than smoking pot, and you can't really argue that...using an illegally obtained controlled substance is illegal AND I am pretty sure against league policy.

Also, unlike your example of Romo with a dime bag in college (which could have happened) Favre did it WHILE he was in the league. Using an illegally obtained controlled substance while playing should get you a 4 game suspension, that's pretty much the rule as I understand it in the league drug policy (see: http://www.nflpa.org/pdfs/RulesAndRegs/Drug_Policy_2007.pdf) ... I could be wrong or misread it but it says on the first page of written stuff that this was a clear violation.

Ahhh enough with the Vicodin talk. It's been talked about enough. I give Brett more respect for coming out and saying he had a problem with them. He took the steps to get better and hasn't looked back.

Brett Favre is a god in Wisconsin. He and the late Reggie White came to Greenbay and brought back the glory for the Packers. Brett has done it all with one team and will retire a Packer. He donates alot of money for great causes in the state and is loved by almost everyone. He's class all the way in my book. Going to a game in Greenbay and seeing him at QB is a awesome sight. My last game seeing him play was the 1996 NFC championship game. If and when we play in GB again for the NFC title, I plan on going again. :D

And don't worry pureoc is not a Brewer fan. He likes that team in Chicago called the, ahh I forget. Who cares anyway. :D hehehe
  • gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
    Ahhh enough with the Vicodin talk. It's been talked about enough. I give Brett more respect for coming out and saying he had a problem with them. He took the steps to get better and hasn't looked back.

Brett Favre is a god in Wisconsin. He and the late Reggie White came to Greenbay and brought back the glory for the Packers. Brett has done it all with one team and will retire a Packer. He donates alot of money for great causes in the state and is loved by almost everyone. He's class all the way in my book. Going to a game in Greenbay and seeing him at QB is a awesome sight. My last game seeing him play was the 1996 NFC championship game. If and when we play in GB again for the NFC title, I plan on going again. :D

And don't worry pureoc is not a Brewer fan. He likes that team in Chicago called the, ahh I forget. Who cares anyway. :D hehehe

Brett Favre is the NFL.

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    gue_barium wrote:
    Brett Favre is the NFL.
    Not so much. He's having a great year and he's at best the 3rd QB people think about this season.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    ryan198 wrote:

As Patrick said, yes I'm a Cubs fan, no love for the Brew Crew here!! As for the vicodin thing, I've never heard of someone doing time for overusing it. I have heard of people going to jail and getting fines for possession of pot and other illegal, non prescription drugs. Enough with that. GO PACK GO!!!
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • Poncier wrote:
    Not so much. He's having a great year and he's at best the 3rd QB people think about this season.

Maybe or maybe not. But if the packers win. All eyes will look to Brett.
    Maybe or maybe not. But if the packers win. All eyes will look to Brett.
    Even Brett when asked if he should be considered for MVP stated that this is Tom Brady's year, and that what he was doing was nothing short of spectacular.
    Lets face it, no matter what Brett does tonight, Brady is the league's top player this year by a long long long shot.
  • Poncier wrote:
    Even Brett when asked if he should be considered for MVP stated that this is Tom Brady's year, and that what he was doing was nothing short of spectacular.
    Lets face it, no matter what Brett does tonight, Brady is the league's top player this year by a long long long shot.

Brett could care less about another MVP.

No doubt Brady is having a MVP type of year.
  • Poncier wrote:

Are you kidding? If Tom Brady wasn't tearing it up, Favre would be the front runner for MVP, easy. He's having the best statistical season of his career, and he's led the Packers to the top of the NFC, a team most 'experts' picked to be 8-8 at best. After Brady, Favre tops the list of QB's this year. Followed by Derek Anderson, Roethlisberger and Manning.
    24 years old, mid-life crisis
    nowadays hits you when you're young
    Are you kidding? If Tom Brady wasn't tearing it up, Favre would be the front runner for MVP, easy. He's having the best statistical season of his career, and he's led the Packers to the top of the NFC, a team most 'experts' picked to be 8-8 at best. After Brady, Favre tops the list of QB's this year. Followed by Derek Anderson, Roethlisberger and Manning.
    So Romo isn't even top 5?
    Lets see...
    TD Passes:
    1. Brady 39
    2. Romo 29
    3. Roethlsiberger 23

QB Rating:
    1. Brady 127.9 (simply mind boggling)
    2. Roethlisbeger 106.0
    3. Romo 105.3

Favre is #2 in passing yards behind Brady, but I think your looking at things through Favre colored, Romo hating glasses my friend.
    Derek Anderson is a nice story, but he's the league's 11th rated passer...but lets not let facts cloud our judgement now, we'll let him be #3 if you say so.

If you want to rank QB's this season its Brady, then a distant (and I mean distant) 2nd is Romo, then you can argue Favre or Roethlisberger for 3rd.
    Ok so this is where the serious love of Favre and hatred of Romo gets silly. For this season you put Romo behind Derek Anderson (11th Rated 22 TD 11 Int) and Peyton Manning (12th rated passer with 19 TD 12 INT). Favre has 300 more yards passing than Romo this season on 72 more attempts. Given Romo's completion pct. and yds per/att if he had thrown the same amount the yardage difference wouldn't exist at all. Second Romo has thrown 29 TDs in 12 games, a number that is on pace for somewhere in the high 30s low 40s. Yes he has TO and Jason Witten, but Crayton, Hurd, and others have had big games/plays because Romo has played well. The fact of the matter is that Romo is leading a team that in any other year would be an offense that is considered transcendent (they might break the Vikings record for points in a season), but because Tom Brady is so f-ing good the Pats are going to beat the Cowboys by over 100 points! Yes Favre should/could be in the running for MVP, but not to recognize that Romo is having an outstanding season to this point is just ludicrous.
    ryan198 wrote:
    Ok so this is where the serious love of Favre and hatred of Romo gets silly. For this season you put Romo behind Derek Anderson (11th Rated 22 TD 11 Int) and Peyton Manning (12th rated passer with 19 TD 12 INT). Favre has 300 more yards passing than Romo this season on 72 more attempts. Given Romo's completion pct. and yds per/att if he had thrown the same amount the yardage difference wouldn't exist at all. Second Romo has thrown 29 TDs in 12 games, a number that is on pace for somewhere in the high 30s low 40s. Yes he has TO and Jason Witten, but Crayton, Hurd, and others have had big games/plays because Romo has played well. The fact of the matter is that Romo is leading a team that in any other year would be an offense that is considered transcendent (they might break the Vikings record for points in a season), but because Tom Brady is so f-ing good the Pats are going to beat the Cowboys by over 100 points! Yes Favre should/could be in the running for MVP, but not to recognize that Romo is having an outstanding season to this point is just ludicrous.
    If you an I are in complete agreement on a football point, then the apocalypse can't be far behind. :D
    Poncier wrote:
    If you an I are in complete agreement on a football point, then the apocalypse can't be far behind. :D
    haha...i think we agree more than you think i just like to get my digs in against opposing teams especially the pats b/c my fiancee is from NE and i have to go home with her this weekend. I was so hoping to be at her house and with my first question ask "remember when the Patriots were undefeated"?

To answer your question I've been with her 6 years, and I've been waiting to say something that mean since the night the Brewers lost to the Pads to get knocked out of the playoffs and her dad kept asking "does that mean it's over for them"? The friggin sox had to go and win and the pats haven't lost yet so this one has been brewing for awhile.

For the Packers and Cubs fan? Eww could you get anymore midwestern cliche? ;)
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Poncier wrote:
    So Romo isn't even top 5?
    Lets see...
    TD Passes:
    1. Brady 39
    2. Romo 29
    3. Roethlsiberger 23

QB Rating:
    1. Brady 127.9 (simply mind boggling)
    2. Roethlisbeger 106.0
    3. Romo 105.3

Favre is #2 in passing yards behind Brady, but I think your looking at things through Favre colored, Romo hating glasses my friend.
    Derek Anderson is a nice story, but he's the league's 11th rated passer...but lets not let facts cloud our judgement now, we'll let him be #3 if you say so.

If you want to rank QB's this season its Brady, then a distant (and I mean distant) 2nd is Romo, then you can argue Favre or Roethlisberger for 3rd.

Agreed.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
    I have the game at home now so as I posted in the Cowboys thread I have changed my feeling on the game...Cowboys 31 Packers 17 in a game closer than the score indicates.
  • BrainOfJHABrainOfJHA KC Posts: 695
    I'm pulling for the Pack, and although I didn't like them in the past, my brother in law has made me watch all their games this year and I've kinda grown to like them. I will root for them until the Falcons become a force to be reckon with again (hopefully without Vick, he should be banned from the league for life)
  • brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    ryan198 wrote:
    you lucky sonofabitch...i think the fact that i have to go to a bar is preventing me from having positive thoughts for the cowboys especially since the packers play near the hometown of baseball's favorite beermakers.

it's only good for this time of year.

all the other programming on it is crap.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
    ryan198 wrote:
    For the Packers and Cubs fan? Eww could you get anymore midwestern cliche? ;)

I root for the teams I grew up watching as a kid. Packers were obviously always on since I grew up about 30 minutes south of Green Bay and the Cubs were on WGN every afternoon so that's how I learned about baseball. The Brewers weren't on TV where I grew up so I watched the Cubs and therefore have rooted for them since I knew what baseball was. GO PACK GO, although no Woodson and KGB hurts us bad.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • pureoc wrote:
    I root for the teams I grew up watching as a kid. Packers were obviously always on since I grew up about 30 minutes south of Green Bay and the Cubs were on WGN every afternoon so that's how I learned about baseball. The Brewers weren't on TV where I grew up so I watched the Cubs and therefore have rooted for them since I knew what baseball was. GO PACK GO, although no Woodson and KGB hurts us bad.

Will make do with what we got.

GO PACK GO
    pureoc wrote:
    I grew up in upstate NY with CBC, CBS (which was NFC only at that time), and PBS so my teams were all national television teams circa 1982-1984, hence the Milwaukee Brewers, Dallas Cowboys, and Miami Hurricanes so I understand...just was giving a hard time. Good luck, although I hope not too good.
    the announcer almost makes me not even care that i get to watch this game.

is that gumble?

gumble and gumble...

brainofPJ wrote:
    the announcer almost makes me not even care that i get to watch this game.

is that gumble?

gumble and gumble...

Gumble is the wost announcer EVER, not even close. When the Cowboys were walking out of the tunnel AFTER the Packers were on the field and he says here come the Packers, that is horrible. He needs to go and should not have a job.
    pureoc wrote:
    Gumble is the wost announcer EVER, not even close. When the Cowboys were walking out of the tunnel AFTER the Packers were on the field and he says here come the Packers, that is horrible. He needs to go and should not have a job.

it has to be because his brother, right?

either way, he is bad. chris is ok but i think gumble brings him down. any other announcer and chris would be alright