Options

Post your favorite RECIPE here!

13»

Comments

• Options
    BeBeBeBe Posts: 229
    The turkey chili recipe is great!!!! Just made another batch for tomorrow's dinner..

I did a ton of the cookies because of my son's fundraiser.

My kids fav??? The Mac and Cheese with Velveeta and cheddar flakes! AWESOME!
    Where is Lowlight?
  • Options
    WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    1 8oz package of cream cheese
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup confectionary sugar
    1 tsp vanilla extract

5-6 large Granny Smith apples, sliced (either brush slices with lemon juice or soak in pineapple juice to prevent them from turning brown)

1-2 Heath or Skor candy bars, crushed

Cream together cream cheese, sugars and vanilla until smooth. Fold in crushed candy. Drain apples.

If you like caramel apples, you'll like the combo of the apples and dip.......
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
  • Options
    I just made some awsome tuna fish salad..i know sounds weird..but it was so yummy.

1 can of tuna chopped fine (not clumpy)
    1 fire roasted sweet red bell pepper cubbed
    1 cup fresh baby spinach greens...chopped
    1/2 cup or so of tomato basil feta cheese crumbled
    extra virgin olive oil

combine together..add oil, enough to mix well but not too much to make watery. then enjoy.
    I ate mine on wheat crackers, my husband liked it in a pita with extra spinach greens.
    MMMM now i'm hungry, damn.
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • Options
    mardud wrote:
    I just made some awsome tuna fish salad..i know sounds weird..but it was so yummy.

1 can of tuna chopped fine (not clumpy)
    1 fire roasted sweet red bell pepper cubbed
    1 cup fresh baby spinach greens...chopped
    1/2 cup or so of tomato basil feta cheese crumbled
    extra virgin olive oil

combine together..add oil, enough to mix well but not too much to make watery. then enjoy.
    I ate mine on wheat crackers, my husband liked it in a pita with extra spinach greens.
    MMMM now i'm hungry, damn.

Looks good! I hope I can find the tom/basil feta cheese..I am going to Publix today and see if they carry it..

Thanks!
    Where is Lowlight?
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    brilliant :D

heres a good one for him then:-

Here's a recipe for the beloved Haggis of Scotland. In addition to the other naughty (read "delectable") bits, the lungs are traditionally included in Scotland, but are omitted here as it's illegal to sell lungs in the U.S. (Any clues as to why, anybody?). Some folks also think that liver shouldn't be used ..."

1 sheep's lung (illegal in the U.S.; may be omitted if not available)
    1 sheep's stomach
    1 sheep heart
    1 sheep liver
    1/2 lb fresh suet (kidney leaf fat is preferred)
    3/4 cup oatmeal (the ground type, NOT the Quaker Oats type!)
    3 onions, finely chopped
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne
    1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
    3/4 cup stock

Wash lungs and stomach well, rub with salt and rinse. Remove membranes and excess fat. Soak in cold salted water for several hours. Turn stomach inside out for stuffing.
    Cover heart and liver with cold water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Chop heart and coarsely grate liver. Toast oatmeal in a skillet on top of the stove, stirring frequently, until golden. Combine all ingredients and mix well. Loosely pack mixture into stomach, about two-thirds full. Remember, oatmeal expands in cooking.

Press any air out of stomach and truss securely. Put into boiling water to cover. Simmer for 3 hours, uncovered, adding more water as needed to maintain water level. Prick stomach several times with a sharp needle when it begins to swell; this keeps the bag from bursting. Place on a hot platter, removing trussing strings. Serve with a spoon. Ceremoniously served with "neeps, tatties and nips" -- mashed turnips, mashed potatoes, nips of whiskey

Dude, do most people like that in Scotland? Like do you guys cook it? I bet the lungs thing might be to do with TB regulations?

I like the velveeta/sausage recipe, though I'd make it with veggie sausage.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    PeryPery Posts: 1,740
    This recipe is from Argentina...So forgive me about translation and meassures, because I don't know but It's something like this...You should try it :D

3 litres of milk
    1 kilo of sugar
    150 cc of water
    1 teaspoon of vainilla extract
    1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonato

And a lot of time and patience.

All of this - except the water - in a large pan at high heat, at first, always revolving in the same direction slowly, about one hour. Until you see how started to thicken, when you could see the bottom of the pan then put the water...slow.

Then low heat and keep revolving...until you see how the colour turn to light brown.

Let it cold, and put it in cans, it would last forever in your fridge... if you're diabetic :D

* If you have cookies, vainilla or chocolate flavoured, take two of them, put some dulce de leche in between and you have ALFAJOR.

* If you have a cake, cut it in two and put dulce de leche. Or you can use it as coverage.

* Or with many layers of puff pastry (Hojaldre ?...sorry I'm not sure about this one) and layers of dulce de leche...then you have Mil hojas cake / Thounsand layers cake
    Buenos Aires 25 - 11 - 2005
    Buenos Aires 26 - 11 - 2005

********Proud 2 b Jammer!*******
  • Options
    Two slices of Bread
    cheese spread
    4 slices of ham
    two varietys of cheese(grated) I usually go for Irish Carberry and Red Leicester
    mushrooms(diced)
    small knob of butter

Take bread, spread the cheese spread on the bread, place two slices of ham on each slice of bread distribute the grated cheese over the top so there is a nice even consistency across the top, cook the diced mushrooms in the knob of butter and sprinkle across the top of the cheese covered bread, place on the grilling tray and cook until the cheese has melted.
    Eat and enjoy.:)

yummmmmmmmm
    dream like your living forever
    live like your dying today
  • Options
    SharonCSharonC Posts: 105
    BeBe wrote:
    The turkey chili recipe is great!!!! Just made another batch for tomorrow's dinner..

I did a ton of the cookies because of my son's fundraiser.

My kids fav??? The Mac and Cheese with Velveeta and cheddar flakes! AWESOME!

I'm glad you liked the chili. The other one is great too. I got both of those from friends on another board. :)
  • Options
    brilliant :D

heres a good one for him then:-

Here's a recipe for the beloved Haggis of Scotland. In addition to the other naughty (read "delectable") bits, the lungs are traditionally included in Scotland, but are omitted here as it's illegal to sell lungs in the U.S. (Any clues as to why, anybody?). Some folks also think that liver shouldn't be used ..."

1 sheep's lung (illegal in the U.S.; may be omitted if not available)
    1 sheep's stomach
    1 sheep heart
    1 sheep liver
    1/2 lb fresh suet (kidney leaf fat is preferred)
    3/4 cup oatmeal (the ground type, NOT the Quaker Oats type!)
    3 onions, finely chopped
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne
    1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
    3/4 cup stock

Wash lungs and stomach well, rub with salt and rinse. Remove membranes and excess fat. Soak in cold salted water for several hours. Turn stomach inside out for stuffing.
    Cover heart and liver with cold water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Chop heart and coarsely grate liver. Toast oatmeal in a skillet on top of the stove, stirring frequently, until golden. Combine all ingredients and mix well. Loosely pack mixture into stomach, about two-thirds full. Remember, oatmeal expands in cooking.

Press any air out of stomach and truss securely. Put into boiling water to cover. Simmer for 3 hours, uncovered, adding more water as needed to maintain water level. Prick stomach several times with a sharp needle when it begins to swell; this keeps the bag from bursting. Place on a hot platter, removing trussing strings. Serve with a spoon. Ceremoniously served with "neeps, tatties and nips" -- mashed turnips, mashed potatoes, nips of whiskey
    my mouth is watering....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    my mouth is watering....

Speedy...My husband loves Haggis....

Dunkman, my husband wanted me to ask you if you are a Celtic or Ranger supporter??? He's from Greenock, btw..
    Where is Lowlight?
  • Options
    Pery wrote:
    This recipe is from Argentina...So forgive me about translation and meassures, because I don't know but It's something like this...You should try it :D

3 litres of milk
    1 kilo of sugar
    150 cc of water
    1 teaspoon of vainilla extract
    1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonato

And a lot of time and patience.

All of this - except the water - in a large pan at high heat, at first, always revolving in the same direction slowly, about one hour. Until you see how started to thicken, when you could see the bottom of the pan then put the water...slow.

Then low heat and keep revolving...until you see how the colour turn to light brown.

Let it cold, and put it in cans, it would last forever in your fridge... if you're diabetic :D

* If you have cookies, vainilla or chocolate flavoured, take two of them, put some dulce de leche in between and you have ALFAJOR.

* If you have a cake, cut it in two and put dulce de leche. Or you can use it as coverage.

* Or with many layers of puff pastry (Hojaldre ?...sorry I'm not sure about this one) and layers of dulce de leche...then you have Mil hojas cake / Thounsand layers cake

ah! I love Dulce De Leche, Tres Leches and Flan...I live on those three desserts..I'm Cuban and Spanish descent, so this is our existent..sweets..yum!

Thanks for all these recipes!!! I found the Feta cheese too!
    Where is Lowlight?
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    Party Pizza DIP

2 cans pizza sauce

pepperoni (any form) (cut in to tiny chunks)

1 package of shredded mozzarella

( also, if your feelin sassy, a bit of pepperoncini juice can be yum too)

Directions:

pour pizza sauce in large bowl (or crock pot) . Add Chunks of pepperoni and mozzarella, stir. Heat in crock pot or microwave until contents are hot and cheese is melted. Serve with tortilla chips.

yum yum yum

oh yeah and i dont have time to sit through and look at all of em, but anything with carmalized/sauteed onions is breathtaking :D
  • Options
    Party Pizza DIP

2 cans pizza sauce

pepperoni (any form) (cut in to tiny chunks)

1 package of shredded mozzarella

( also, if your feelin sassy, a bit of pepperoncini juice can be yum too)

Directions:

pour pizza sauce in large bowl (or crock pot) . Add Chunks of pepperoni and mozzarella, stir. Heat in crock pot or microwave until contents are hot and cheese is melted. Serve with tortilla chips.

yum yum yum

oh yeah and i dont have time to sit through and look at all of em, but anything with carmalized/sauteed onions is breathtaking :D

I was just telling Lowlight03 how hungry I am right now..it's because of this thread!!!!!!!

This one sounds easy and good..so my boys can make it!
    Where is Lowlight?
  • Options
    BeBe wrote:
    Looks good! I hope I can find the tom/basil feta cheese..I am going to Publix today and see if they carry it..

Thanks!
    I'm sure regular feta would work just fine...I only used the tomatoe basil feta becasue it's what i had. Good luck..and enjoy!!!
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • Options
    meat sauce

2 lb. ground beef or ground turkey
    1 can of diced tomatoes
    1 can of tomato sauce
    1 small can of tomato paste
    1 can of ranch style beans
    some salsa(dont know how much just to your taste)

brown ground beef, drain, then add other ingredients. bring to boil then simmer for 1 hour.

while simmering crush a bag of fritos, make some rice.

now this is the important part, first make a layer of crushed fritos on your plate, then cover that with rice, then the meat sauce.

top that with shredded cheese, lettuce, sour cream, salsa, tomatoes or whatever you want

i have also heard it is good with spaghetti noodles instead of chips and rice but i have never tried it that way.
    Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best.

~Frank Zappa
  • Options
    uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    half a cup of powdered sugar
    one quarter teaspoon salt
    one knifetip Turkish hash
    half a pound butter
    one teaspoon vanilla-sugar
    half a pound flour
    150 g ground nuts
    a little extra powdered sugar
    ... and no eggs

place in a bowl
    add butter
    add the ground nuts and
    knead the dough

form eyeball-size pieces from the dough
    roll in the powdered sugar
    and say the magic words:
    "sim sala bim bamba sala do saladim"

place on a greased baking pan and
    bake at 200 degrees for 15 minutes
    ...AND NO EGGS

...and no eggs.
  • Options
    uninnocent wrote:
    half a cup of powdered sugar
    one quarter teaspoon salt
    one knifetip Turkish hash
    half a pound butter
    one teaspoon vanilla-sugar
    half a pound flour
    150 g ground nuts
    a little extra powdered sugar
    ... and no eggs

place in a bowl
    add butter
    add the ground nuts and
    knead the dough

form eyeball-size pieces from the dough
    roll in the powdered sugar
    and say the magic words:
    "sim sala bim bamba sala do saladim"

place on a greased baking pan and
    ...AND NO EGGS

...and no eggs.

i have been waiting for someone to post that. has anyone actually made them? i would but i have trouble finding turkish hash.
    Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best.

~Frank Zappa
  • Options
    where do you get Turkish Hash from without going to Turkey?
    I'd rather be with an animal.
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    Sift the following together:

1 3/4 cups flour
    1 cup quick oats
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp allspice

This is group A

Temper over double boiler the following (in other words put in a glass bowl, and put over a pot of simmer/boiling water until it's body temperature)
    2 tablespoon vanilla extract (or use a vanilla bean)
    1 1/2 teaspoons espresso (ristretto if possible, means less water)
    1 egg
    1/8 cup maple syrup

This is group B

Mix together the following using a paddle attachment until all one color and smooth:

1 cup brown sugar
    3 tablespoons white sugar
    1/2 cup butter (soft makes it easier to join the sugars)

This is group C

6 oz raisins
    1/2 cup coconut

Once group C is "creamed" on a medium to high speed, slowly pour group B on a slow to medium speed. The slower speed helps them join better without that curdled look. Then once it's all the same shade, and a lighter shade than what you originally saw, scrape down the sides of the bowl. In fact scrape down the bowl throughout when you think it's not mixing uniformily. Add group A all at once. Pulse a few times so the ingredients don't fly off. Then mix until incorporated, but not one mix more than that. Then add the raisins and coconut at the same time until incorporated

Using a 1/4 cup or a large ice cream scoop, dollop cookies on prepared pans. With a wet hand smush down so they are not domed. I use a meat pounder. They may be about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Makes about 15-18 cookies. Let sit in the fridge for an hour. This will help to harden the butter and the cookies would be less likely to spread.

Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 17-18 minutes. Switch front to back half way through. The middle should still be a little soft to the touch, but the outer parts may be set. Let stand on baking sheet about 2 minutes after take out from oven. Then transfer to baking sheet to cool.
    I just included this recipe in my workplace newsletter :) Time to dish out the cookie recipes!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    1 lb Tennesee Pride Hot Sausage
    1lb ground chuck
    1 28 oz can whole tomatoes
    2 cans kidney beans, 1 red an 1 dark red
    1 medium green pepper
    1 med onion
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    2 teaspoon cumin
    garlic
    1 cup of water (optional)

the rest is easy...

brown meat and throw in the pepper and onion. dump can of whole tomatoes in blender and chop. in seperate pan, add tomatoes, beans (no need to drain if you choose no to use 1 cup of water), and seasoning. turn on low setting.

drain meat and add to pan of ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 30 minutes.

when ready to eat i throw in a handful of cheese and two handfulls of Fritos in a bowl and pour chili over. my mom hates that i do this...haha

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,527
    Pick your nose
    And pick your bum
    Then you'll have
    Some bubble gum.
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    just a *bump* to the very last/oldest thread currently in AET. :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...