Options

XBox, Wii or PS3

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
edited November 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
What is the best gaming console? Which has the best games? The most popular games? How much do these consoles cost?

Do many of you have all 3 of these? Or just one?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I have the Wii, and it's fun when you have a bunch of people around. But if you're looking for immersive, deep singleplayer stuff like I do, I'd look at the PS3 or 360. I hope to get a 360 soon.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,110
    360: most games/better online play
    PS3:BLU-RAY,imo better graphics,loading speed
    Wii: fun gettin drunk and playin with your friends

I have a 360 and I have no complaints. I might buy a PS3 for the blu-ray...cause a decent stand alone player goes for at least $300....I figure I spend the extra $100 for the gaming too
  • Options
    I have a Wii. I have never played nor had any other system but Nintendo. But I hate most of the Wii games. I wish they would bring more of the old games back. Contra, Mega Man, Castlevaina....
    I'll be back
  • Options
    stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    360 is the shit!

Wii is boring

Playstation is Sony...
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,250
    All three are good systems.

As others have said the Wii is fun if you're playing with others. Not something I'd sit around and play by myself.
    The 360 is a good system with lots of games to choose from.
    The PS3 is a good system with less games to choose from and has a built-in Blu-ray player.

You can't go wrong with any of them.
    Wii is definitely the cheapest $250 of the three. The 360 is next cheapest, but if you want to buy all the "necessary" accessories it's going to cost as much as a PS3...which I believe is $399.

I have and prefer the PS3.
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    All three are good systems.

As others have said the Wii is fun if you're playing with others. Not something I'd sit around and play by myself.
    The 360 is a good system with lots of games to choose from.
    The PS3 is a good system with less games to choose from and has a built-in Blu-ray player.

You can't go wrong with any of them.
    Wii is definitely the cheapest $250 of the three. The 360 is next cheapest, but if you want to buy all the "necessary" accessories it's going to cost as much as a PS3...which I believe is $399.

I have and prefer the PS3.

I think they're selling the Xbox for like $199 now

Call of Duty 4 is by far the best war game I've ever played.
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • Options
    Really, it's best to do some research to try and figure out which one is best for you. Each console has a lot of perks, and some downfalls.

If you're into online multiplayer, you're going to want to take a harder look at PS3 and the 360 rather than the Wii. In terms of graphics, from what I've read the differences between the PS3 and 360 are minimal and really shouldn't have an impact on which deciding between the two.

Also, memory space plays a bigger role with today's consoles than the last generation. With each console having online capability and downloads, you're going to taking your memory space into consideration a lot. The Wii is using flash memory cards for memory. The PS3 and 360 each use an external hard drive, and each console also has multiple hard drives with a different amount of memory available. But when it comes to this, the PS3 is the winner simply because if you drop some cash, you can easily outfit it with a 500 GB hard drive that's made by Samsung (not specifically for PS3, by the way) while the 360 is limited to hard drives made only by Microsoft that are, in my opinion, over priced.

If you're in the market for a console and online play is a must, then once again, it's between the PS3 and 360. Tomorrow, by the way, the 360 dashboard is getting a new face lift is it's supposed to make browsing through online items even easier, and sleeker than before. Also, they're including avatars now that are fully customizable. Also, you'll be able to install a game onto your hard drive. For some games this will cut down loading times by a lot and for other games, it may do nothing at all. A downside is that you have to pay for the online service. There are three payment options from monthly, three month period, to a full years worth of service. I have no experience with the PS3 so I can't comment on it and how well it works but they're supposed to be revamping it and bringing major improvements with it. They may have already done it, I'm not entirely sure. Rygar or Mca47 should be able to go into more detail with that.

Also, look into the system exclusives for each system. Wii has the always awesome Zelda, Mario, and Metroid. PS3 has MGS Gran Turismo, and Socom. The 360 has Halo, Fable II, and Splinter cell. So basically, it all boils down to your taste it games and what kind of gameplay you prefer. Like I said before, research each console very carefully and decide which one you think will fit you better. Whatever you choose, you're going to have fun and you're going to have a lot of great games to play.
  • Options
    stickfig13 wrote:

The bare bones system is $199

Looking at bestbuy.com you can pick up a 60GB hard drive for another 100 bucks. You're going to need a hard drive if you plan on taking full advantage of the Xbox Live Marketplace. BUT, you can find a 20GB hard drive for 30-50 bucks on amazon.com. If you can't find anything that's going to save you 10-20 bucks on amazon.com or ebay when you buy a hard drive, you'd be better off just buying the 360 20GB console right off the shelf.
  • Options
    stickfig13 wrote:

Have you played the new one?
    I'm really digging COD World at War!!
  • Options

If you're in the market for a console and online play is a must, then once again, it's between the PS3 and 360. Tomorrow, by the way, the 360 dashboard is getting a new face lift is it's supposed to make browsing through online items even easier, and sleeker than before. Also, they're including avatars now that are fully customizable. Also, you'll be able to install a game onto your hard drive. For some games this will cut down loading times by a lot and for other games, it may do nothing at all. A downside is that you have to pay for the online service. There are three payment options from monthly, three month period, to a full years worth of service. I have no experience with the PS3 so I can't comment on it and how well it works but they're supposed to be revamping it and bringing major improvements with it. They may have already done it, I'm not entirely sure. Rygar or Mca47 should be able to go into more detail with that.

Also, look into the system exclusives for each system. Wii has the always awesome Zelda, Mario, and Metroid. PS3 has MGS Gran Turismo, and Socom. The 360 has Halo, Fable II, and Splinter cell. So basically, it all boils down to your taste it games and what kind of gameplay you prefer. Like I said before, research each console very carefully and decide which one you think will fit you better. Whatever you choose, you're going to have fun and you're going to have a lot of great games to play.

I admit that the Playstation Network may not be as good as XBL but IMO if I had to rank out of 10 I'd give XBL a 9 and PSN a 7.5.

You forgot some other big PS3 exclusives...
    Resistance
    LittleBigPlanet
    Killzone
    ;)

Again, like others have said it all comes down to preference.
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    Have you played the new one?
    I'm really digging COD World at War!!

I gotta pick it up!!
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685

Also, you'll be able to install a game onto your hard drive. For some games this will cut down loading times by a lot and for other games, it may do nothing at all. A downside is that you have to pay for the online service. There are three payment options from monthly, three month period, to a full years worth of service. I have no experience with the PS3 so I can't comment on it and how well it works but they're supposed to be revamping it and bringing major improvements with it. They may have already done it, I'm not entirely sure. Rygar or Mca47 should be able to go into more detail with that.
    The install on the HD for XBox is, so far, looking like a marketing scheme to get people to buy their 120G drives (Lost Odyssey HD install is 23.x gigs).
    Read time on DVD is reasonably fast, so unless there's hidden benefits (saving your dvd drive?) I'm not really sure it's a useful purpose - even they've said is for customer convenience.
    PS3 updates their Store area (equivalent of marketplace) numerous times a year. They changed the menu system around last time so it's less paging, but it works. System and many game updates download like molasses running uphill in January for the PS3, but store downloads are quite fast. There are lots of complaints about servers on the Sony side, but I've played 4 or 5 games online regularly with no problems.
    Generally the PS3 gets used mostly for movies and vids, and the 360 for gaming. I have 11 games for the PS3, most of which I've dogged the crap out of, and eh, almost 50 for the 360, most of which I've dogged the crap out of.
    The multiplatform games are usually near identical on both systems, and what all your friends are playing, if they are at all, is a big influence.
    Overall you can't go wrong with either system, and I'm not a Wii fan.
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    The install on the HD for XBox is, so far, looking like a marketing scheme to get people to buy their 120G drives (Lost Odyssey HD install is 23.x gigs).
    Read time on DVD is reasonably fast, so unless there's hidden benefits (saving your dvd drive?) I'm not really sure it's a useful purpose - even they've said is for customer convenience.
    PS3 updates their Store area (equivalent of marketplace) numerous times a year. They changed the menu system around last time so it's less paging, but it works. System and many game updates download like molasses running uphill in January for the PS3, but store downloads are quite fast. There are lots of complaints about servers on the Sony side, but I've played 4 or 5 games online regularly with no problems.
    Generally the PS3 gets used mostly for movies and vids, and the 360 for gaming. I have 11 games for the PS3, most of which I've dogged the crap out of, and eh, almost 50 for the 360, most of which I've dogged the crap out of.
    The multiplatform games are usually near identical on both systems, and what all your friends are playing, if they are at all, is a big influence.
    Overall you can't go wrong with either system, and I'm not a Wii fan.

Yea, I didn't really see the point in installing the games onto the hard drive but if you play a game enough, and the load times bother you, it could help. Plus I read that it makes the machine a lot quieter so I guess that could be a plus also. Personally, I probably won't install any games because I've only got a measly 20GB hard drive on my system and I don't want 5 or 6 gbs of space taken up by a game that has to be in the disc drive anyway. Have they got the trophy system up for the PS3 yet?
  • Options
    Yea, I didn't really see the point in installing the games onto the hard drive but if you play a game enough, and the load times bother you, it could help. Plus I read that it makes the machine a lot quieter so I guess that could be a plus also. Personally, I probably won't install any games because I've only got a measly 20GB hard drive on my system and I don't want 5 or 6 gbs of space taken up by a game that has to be in the disc drive anyway. Have they got the trophy system up for the PS3 yet?
    Oh yeah, the trophies have been up and running for a bit. I've got 4 or 5 games patched for trophies. They're neat, different from achievements. Helps with replayability.
    The trophy patch was just released for Ferrari Challenge today in fact, and I've been waiting for that for almost two months...

I never thought about the sound reduction. The 360 generally sounds like a 747 taking off while the disc is spinning, but I have a nice sound system and if I can hear my 360 over that, there's something wrong ;)
    I am also not planning on buying another HDD for the 360. I wouldn't mind an HDMI enabled machine though, so maybe someday I'll grab a new Elite or 60G pro. Not today though!
  • Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    Fuck it, I think I'm actually going to pick up a Wii tomorrow..had so much fun playing with my wife's little cousins over the weekend..I schooled them little motherfuckers..thinking they were all cool with their 'pro' bowling status..I bowled a 253 on like my third attempt while these kids barely, if at all, break 200 and they've had this thing for over a year....My wife says I should let them win, but the dad says, 'fuck'em it's good character building.'..and I agree ;)..anyway, great fun..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    As someone who owns all three systems, I can honestly say that if you are looking for the best GAMING console, the 360 is the clear winner. The novelty of the Wii wears off eventually and there is about one quality game released every 8-10 months, and the PS3 is a great Blu-Ray player that also happens to play a lot of games available on the 360. Unless you are a hardcore fan of Sony exclusives (which are becoming fewer and fewer), the 360 gives you the best value and library of games.
  • Options
    in_hiding79in_hiding79 Posts: 4,315
    I have the PS3 and 360...not into the Wii...

I'm about to play Mortal Kombat Vs DC comics in just a bit on my PS3! :D
    And so the lion fell in love with the lamb...,"
    "What a stupid lamb."
    "What a sick, masochistic lion."
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    Oh yeah, the trophies have been up and running for a bit. I've got 4 or 5 games patched for trophies. They're neat, different from achievements. Helps with replayability.
    The trophy patch was just released for Ferrari Challenge today in fact, and I've been waiting for that for almost two months...

I never thought about the sound reduction. The 360 generally sounds like a 747 taking off while the disc is spinning, but I have a nice sound system and if I can hear my 360 over that, there's something wrong ;)
    I am also not planning on buying another HDD for the 360. I wouldn't mind an HDMI enabled machine though, so maybe someday I'll grab a new Elite or 60G pro. Not today though!

Yeah, when word came out that the PS3 was getting trophies, I was like "Why would anyone want trophies...what's the point?" Since then I have to admit when I'm playing a game and a trophy pops up I'm pretty pumped!
    I pulled in a couple on COD W@W last night. Sweet!
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    Yeah, when word came out that the PS3 was getting trophies, I was like "Why would anyone want trophies...what's the point?" Since then I have to admit when I'm playing a game and a trophy pops up I'm pretty pumped!
    I pulled in a couple on COD W@W last night. Sweet!
    Definitely helps with replay. I went through Uncharted again because of trophies, and had tons of fun just playing the game, but at least there was a point to play it again.
    I wish they'd get more support though. MGS4...c'mon!
  • Options
    Unless you are a hardcore fan of Sony exclusives (which are becoming fewer and fewer), the 360 gives you the best value and library of games.

I agree, but Sony still has quite a few blockbuster exclusives:
    Metal Gear Solid
    Gran Turismo
    Socom
    Resistance
    LittleBigPlanet
    Killzone
    God of War
    MLB The Show
    and others I may be forgetting.

While the overall 360 library might be bigger, you aren't exactly going to be struggling to find a great game to play on PS3. Right now I have like 5 games that I want to play but have absolutely no time to play them all (NHL '09, Socom, COD5, LittleBigPlanet, The Show '08).
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    Definitely helps with replay. I went through Uncharted again because of trophies, and had tons of fun just playing the game, but at least there was a point to play it again.
    I wish they'd get more support though. MGS4...c'mon!

MGS4 still doesn't have them?

I haven't played that in a while.
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    I agree, but Sony still has quite a few blockbuster exclusives:
    Metal Gear Solid
    Gran Turismo
    Socom
    Resistance
    LittleBigPlanet
    Killzone
    God of War
    MLB The Show
    and others I may be forgetting.

While the overall 360 library might be bigger, you aren't exactly going to be struggling to find a great game to play on PS3. Right now I have like 5 games that I want to play but have absolutely no time to play them all (NHL '09, Socom, COD5, LittleBigPlanet, The Show '08).
    I'd more or less agree.

Have you played Socom yet? I hear it is total bust.

And nope, no trophies for MGS4. I'm under the impression that they're not going to add them, either.
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    I'd more or less agree.

Have you played Socom yet? I hear it is total bust.

And nope, no trophies for MGS4. I'm under the impression that they're not going to add them, either.

I picked up Socom when it first came out. I'll admit, I am not as excited about it as I thought I would be.
    It's definitely fun, but there is something lacking. Now that I have COD5 I'm not sure how much playing time it's going to get.

When I got Socom, it came with the "official PS3" bluetooth headset" for like $15 more. I figured at the time "Whatever, I'll get it for a backup". I have to say, that headset is really nice. I was really quite surprized at how good it is. It's actually is better than my other BT headsets (Motorola, and Jabra) and it pairs perfectly everytime in like 5 seconds after turning it on.
    Never would have thought.
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,474
    I have owned all three systems. The Wii is fun, but only when you have a group of friends over. We sold ours after about 3 months. The XBOX 360 is probably the best in terms of gameplay and online at the moment. I sold mine because the damn thing is so unreliable. I'd say 75% of the people I know who have owned a 360 have had to send it back at least once because of the Red Ring of Death. I currently own the PS3 which I love but not quite as much as the 360...yet. The Blu Ray player is excellent and the fact that it's constantly being updated keeps it at the forefront. The online play will eventually catch up with 360 and it's just a matter of time before the games are on the same level. In the long run I'd much rather have the PS3 over the XBOX 360. Sony will always be better than Microsoft in my opinion. Also, if you're a sports gamer, there's really no game better than the MLB The Show series which is PS3 exclusive.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    mca47 wrote:
    I picked up Socom when it first came out. I'll admit, I am not as excited about it as I thought I would be.
    It's definitely fun, but there is something lacking. Now that I have COD5 I'm not sure how much playing time it's going to get.

When I got Socom, it came with the "official PS3" bluetooth headset" for like $15 more. I figured at the time "Whatever, I'll get it for a backup". I have to say, that headset is really nice. I was really quite surprized at how good it is. It's actually is better than my other BT headsets (Motorola, and Jabra) and it pairs perfectly everytime in like 5 seconds after turning it on.
    Never would have thought.
    Jabra headset? Did you get that with Warhawk? I have warhawk but don't like jumping on random games...
    I heard the Socom headset was really good too.
  • Options
    adam42381 wrote:
    I have owned all three systems. The Wii is fun, but only when you have a group of friends over. We sold ours after about 3 months. The XBOX 360 is probably the best in terms of gameplay and online at the moment. I sold mine because the damn thing is so unreliable. I'd say 75% of the people I know who have owned a 360 have had to send it back at least once because of the Red Ring of Death. I currently own the PS3 which I love but not quite as much as the 360...yet. The Blu Ray player is excellent and the fact that it's constantly being updated keeps it at the forefront. The online play will eventually catch up with 360 and it's just a matter of time before the games are on the same level. In the long run I'd much rather have the PS3 over the XBOX 360. Sony will always be better than Microsoft in my opinion. Also, if you're a sports gamer, there's really no game better than the MLB The Show series which is PS3 exclusive.
    I've gone through 2 faulty 360's, and 3 faulty PS3's (I'm actually on my 5th PS3, but support mis-diagnosed the problem, the console was fine, the Sixaxis controllers just plain blow).
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    Jabra headset? Did you get that with Warhawk? I have warhawk but don't like jumping on random games...
    I heard the Socom headset was really good too.

No, it was a headset I got for work. It's nice for calls...better than my Motorola, but isn't as good as the set that came with Socom. Never would have thought.

I'd actually like to use it for my work phones, but I think I'd look silly wearing a Playstation headset while in the airport. LOL! :D
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    No, it was a headset I got for work. It's nice for calls...better than my Motorola, but isn't as good as the set that came with Socom. Never would have thought.

I'd actually like to use it for my work phones, but I think I'd look silly wearing a Playstation headset while in the airport. LOL! :D
    Nah, anyone who noticed would probably think it's neat :p
  • Options
    What the fuck is up with the new xbox experience. I received a message on my dashboard on the 17th saying that when I signed in on the 19th that it would download automatically and that would be that. Well, I'm signed in and nothing has happened. An ad on the marketplace says "2 days until the new xbox experience" and on xbox.com it says "1 day left". God dammit.
  • Options
    What the fuck is up with the new xbox experience. I received a message on my dashboard on the 17th saying that when I signed in on the 19th that it would download automatically and that would be that. Well, I'm signed in and nothing has happened. An ad on the marketplace says "2 days until the new xbox experience" and on xbox.com it says "1 day left". God dammit.
    Do you really want to know?