Options

2008 Los Angeles Dodgers!

Comments

• Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    they were kind of joking about that on the mets radio broadcast by saying nomar who? joe really relied on proctor a lot in 2006 and 07 but they didn't have the length in the rotation many nights that the dodgers seem to get.

yea i think nomar should either ask to be traded to an al team and dh or retire.....the injuries just won't stop
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    :eek: 12-1 :eek:

they say penny(s) are kinda worthless!!!! ;)
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    i have a love/hate relationship with penny.....right now it's hate....:mad:
  • Options
    one of the darkest days in dodger history when he was traded.....what a great guy and player and like tommy i hope mike goes into the hall in a dodger cap.....:)

Former Dodgers catcher Mike Piazza to retire 'with no regrets'
    From the Associated Press

May 21, 2008

Mike Piazza is retiring from baseball following a 16-season career in which he became one of the top-hitting catchers in history.

"After discussing my options with my wife, family and agent, I felt it was time to start a new chapter in my life," he said in a statement released today by his agent, Dan Lozano. "It has been an amazing journey ... So today, I walk away with no regrets.

"I knew this day was coming and over the last two years. I started to make my peace with it. I gave it my all and left everything on the field."

The 39-year-old Piazza batted .275 with eight homers and 44 RBIs as a designated hitter for Oakland last season, became a free agent and did not re-sign. He was not available to discuss his decision, according to Josh Goldberg, a spokesman for Lozano.

Taken by the Los Angeles Dodgers on the 62nd round of the 1988 amateur draft, Piazza became a 12-time All-Star, making the NL team 10 consecutive times starting in 1993.

He finished with a .308 career average, 427 home runs and 1,335 RBIs for the Dodgers (1992-98), Florida (1998), New York Mets (1998-05), San Diego (2006) and Oakland (2007).

His 396 homers are easily the most as a catcher, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. Carlton Fisk is second with 351, followed by Johnny Bench (327) and Yogi Berra (306).

Piazza thanked his family, teams and managers, some of his teammates -- and even owners, general managers, minor league staffs and reporters.

"Within the eight years I spent in New York, I was able to take a different look at the game of baseball," Piazza said. "I wasn't just a young kid that was wet behind the ears anymore -- I was learning from other veteran guys like Johnny Franco, who taught me how to deal with the pressures of playing in New York, and Al Leiter, who knew what it took to win a world championship."

He did not bring up two of the more memorable moments in his career: When the Yankees' Roger Clemens beaned him on July 8, 2000, and when Clemens threw the broken barrel of Piazza's bat in his direction in Game 2 of the World Series that October. Clemens denied intent both times.

"Last but certainly not least, I can't say goodbye without thanking the fans," Piazza said. "I can't recall a time in my career where I didn't feel embraced by all of you. Los Angeles, San Diego, Oakland and Miami -- whether it was at home or on the road, you were all so supportive over the years.

"But I have to say that my time with the Mets wouldn't have been the same without the greatest fans in the world. One of the hardest moments of my career, was walking off the field at Shea Stadium and saying goodbye. My relationship with you made my time in New York the happiest of my career and for that, I will always be grateful."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-spw-piazza21-2008may21,0,6132683.story

Piazza: the blue-plate special
    He retires without a team, but it should have been as a Dodger
    By Bill Shaikin
    ON BASEBALL

May 21, 2008

The great ones should not bid farewell via e-mail. Mike Piazza deserved to tip his cap and bask in the applause, secure in his place as one of the Dodgers' brightest stars.

His place would have been between Tom Lasorda and Sandy Koufax, on opening day, at the end of the Dodgers' stirring parade of players through the decades. Dodger Stadium went nuts when Koufax appeared, and the place would have gone only slightly less berserk with Piazza in the house.

But he was not retired then, just unemployed. He never did find a job, and he retired Tuesday, at 39. No standing ovation, no public appearance, just a statement sent to media e-mailboxes.

"I walk away with no regrets," Piazza said. "I knew this day was coming and, over the last two years, I started to make my peace with it."

It is difficult, even to this day, to make peace with the idea that Piazza did not play out his career with the Dodgers, that they traded perhaps the greatest hitting catcher in history -- and Lasorda's godson, no less.

The Dodger Way was no more. It is a decade later, and the Dodgers have yet to recover the tradition, the loyalty and the championships.

Piazza was a homegrown superstar, with a story made for Hollywood. The way Lasorda starts to tell the story, five clubs scouted Piazza.

"Every one of them said he couldn't play," Lasorda said.

So, as a favor to Lasorda, the Dodgers drafted Piazza in 1988, in the 62nd round. Of the 1,433 players selected, he was No. 1,390.

He made himself a decent catcher through hard work but, boy, could he hit. As a rookie, in 1993, he hit .318 with 35 home runs. In 1997, his last full season with the Dodgers, he hit .362 with 40 home runs.

"He brought the offensive level of what a catcher can do to a level that I don't think can be matched," said Mike Scioscia, his predecessor as the Dodgers' catcher.

Piazza loved L.A. -- the fans, the night life, the perennial promise of October -- and L.A. loved him back. But free agency loomed after the 1998 season, initial negotiations did not go well, and all of a sudden L.A. knew he wanted a record-setting contract.

Fred Claire, the general manager, figured he had all season to make a deal. The new Fox ownership wanted to rid itself of Piazza and buddy up to the Florida Marlins for television rights purposes, so the corporate suits traded Piazza to the Marlins in May, then told Claire what they had done.

"Mike couldn't have been any more shocked than I was," Claire said.

"He never wanted to leave," Lasorda said. "He cried."

Piazza did get his record contract. The Marlins flipped him to the New York Mets, and the Mets gave him $91 million.

This wasn't supposed to happen. Peter O'Malley had told us a family could no longer afford to run a major league team. So he sold to a corporation with deep pockets, and Fox promptly sold off Piazza.

But, a few months after portraying Piazza as greedy, Fox signed Kevin Brown for $105 million.

Claire and Bill Russell, the manager, were fired one month after the trade. So were three coaches. The Dodgers are on their sixth general manager and fifth manager since then, with no pennants.

"The trade changed the whole scope of the Dodgers in the way they had been operated," Claire said.

In the various organizational purges, the Dodgers dumped Scioscia, Mickey Hatcher and Ron Roenicke from their minor league staff, Gary Sutherland and Eddie Bane from their scouting staff. They all work -- and win -- in Anaheim now.

Piazza did not win a playoff game in L.A., but he got to the World Series with the Mets. He finished his career with the most home runs of any catcher in history, one of eight to hit .300 with 30 homers in a season. He did it six times. Roy Campanella did it three times. No one else did it more than once.

"Just to put yourself in the same ballpark as Roy Campanella is saying something," Scioscia said, "and Mike belongs up there."

In his statement, Piazza thanked all the teams, managers and fans for which he played, but he singled out the Mets' fans as "the greatest fans in the world."

Lasorda, the Dodgers' chief salesman, said he was not offended. He said Piazza was stung by boos at Dodger Stadium, before and after the trade. He would try, he said, to persuade Piazza to wear a Dodgers cap on his Hall of Fame plaque.

Persuasion should not have been necessary. The late, great Times columnist Jim Murray called it, two days after the trade:

"The Dodgers always have adhered to the Branch Rickey theory of roster cutting that it's better to deal a player a year early than a year late. But in Piazza's case, 10 years early?"

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-piazza21-2008may21,0,5245023.story
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,084
    do the dodger fans think that fox wasn't screwing up the organization at the time, they'd have re-signed him?
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    do the dodger fans think that fox wasn't screwing up the organization at the time, they'd have re-signed him?

don't get me started on fox....o'malley would have resigned him and i think mccourt would have too....that second column i posted reminded me of those dark days of fox ownership....talk about incompetence....:mad:
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,084
    i remember that, especially the 1999 team. it's too bad they can't split his cap or something because he really is associated equally with the mets and dodgers.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    i remember that, especially the 1999 team. it's too bad they can't split his cap or something because he really is associated equally with the mets and dodgers.

yeah my wanting him to go in as a dodger isn't a slight at the mets....but if it weren't for tommy and the dodgers he may never have had a career in baseball...it bums me out that mike still has ill feelings towards the dodgers....it was fox that fucked him, not the franchise....
  • Options
  • Options
    Lizard wrote:
    consider that a gimmie.

they lose today...guaranteed.

Go Halos!!!!!
  • Options
  • Options
    FoxwellFoxwell Posts: 142
    cutback wrote:
    pretty much sums up the season.....

A win without a hit? May I quote Air Supply?

That's "making love out of nothing at all."

THINK BLUE
    "In the depths of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer." -- Albert Camus

"He who knows only his own side of the case, knows little of that." -- John Stuart Mill

"Mongo just a pawn in game of life." -- Mongo
  • Options
    FYI: Tickets on the cheap this week--for the marlins and Braves

Reserve usually $16 will be $3
    Lower reserve usually $20 will be $6
    Infield reserve usually $28 will be $9
    and Field level usually $50 will be $18!

The article i read says the tix are available on the Super Gruops page of tickets and the code to enter is TZOO-JULY.

I assume you don't have to buy a huge amt of tix on the Super Groups but I am not sure....
  • Options
    Lizard wrote:
    FYI: Tickets on the cheap this week--for the marlins and Braves

Reserve usually $16 will be $3
    Lower reserve usually $20 will be $6
    Infield reserve usually $28 will be $9
    and Field level usually $50 will be $18!

The article i read says the tix are available on the Super Gruops page of tickets and the code to enter is TZOO-JULY.

I assume you don't have to buy a huge amt of tix on the Super Groups but I am not sure....

i'm going tomorrow night but a client is taking me....:D now if we only had a team that wasn't in icu....;) :(
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    the fact that the Dodgers can be close to first place with a sub-.500 record reminds me of the time I won a 3rd-place trophy in the punt/pass/kick competition...there were only 3 of us in my age group.

Born on 3rd, thinks he got a triple!
  • Options
    http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=la

mind as well put this here as well....just to make it official....this is crazy
  • Options
    I am goin' to the game tonight...

that douchebag isn't going to be wearing the uni yet, is he?
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • Options
    I am goin' to the game tonight...

that douchebag isn't going to be wearing the uni yet, is he?

probably not....you get to see the last unblemished game

and let me state right now....i'll be the first to eat my words if he does give us the spark that we need....but i ain't holding my breath
  • Options
    meisteredermeistereder Posts: 1,555
    My first reaction was oh no, horrible trade.

The more I digest it, the better I feel about it. The Dodgers are not giving up much. LaRoche was an OK prospect, but he has not performed, and has had many chances in LA. It was not the right fit for him. The minor league pitcher, we have the pitching we need, and that's not a huge sacrifice. The Red Sox pay Manny for the duration of 2008.

We needed a bat. We got it.

Sure, Manny's defense will be a little more suspect, but he is not a downgrade. His offensive numbers will be down from hitting at Fenway, but overall, I say this could work out.
    San Diego 10/25/00, Mountain View 6/1/03, Santa Barbara 10/28/03, Northwest School 3/18/05, San Diego 7/7/06, Los Angeles 7/9/06, 7/10/06, Honolulu (U2) 12/9/06, Santa Barbara (EV) 4/10/08, Los Angeles (EV) 4/12/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, VH1 Rock Honors The Who 7/12/08, Seattle 9/21/09, Universal City 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, San Diego 10/9/09, Los Angeles (EV) 7/8/11, Santa Barbara (EV) 7/9/11, Chicago 7/19/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, 11/24/13, Oakland 11/26/13, Chicago 8/22/16, Missoula 8/13/18, Boston 9/2/18, Los Angeles 2/25/22 (EV), San Diego 5/3/22, Los Angeles 5/6/22, 5/7/22, Imola 6/25/22, [Los Angeles 5/21/24], [London 6/29/24], [Boston 9/15/24]
  • Options

The more I digest it, the better I feel about it. The Dodgers are not giving up much. LaRoche was an OK prospect, but he has not performed, and has had many chances in LA. It was not the right fit for him. The minor league pitcher, we have the pitching we need, and that's not a huge sacrifice. The Red Sox pay Manny for the duration of 2008.

Sure, Manny's defense will be a little more suspect, but he is not a downgrade. His offensive numbers will be down from hitting at Fenway, but overall, I say this could work out.

you're right...got no argument there

but i want to win championshipS.....i'm tired of renting players that get us to the playoffs....and manny is gonna be a distraction....wait until kent has to spend 5 minutes with him....ugh
  • Options
    ohhh and imagine an outfield with manny AND pierre......sniff-sniff i smell errors and runs scored :rolleyes:
  • Options
    cutback wrote:
    you're right...got no argument there

but i want to win championshipS.....i'm tired of renting players that get us to the playoffs....and manny is gonna be a distraction....wait until kent has to spend 5 minutes with him....ugh

Yeah, I hear you. I know. It's taking a long time to rebuild this franchise after Fox ass-raped it. Step by step...
    San Diego 10/25/00, Mountain View 6/1/03, Santa Barbara 10/28/03, Northwest School 3/18/05, San Diego 7/7/06, Los Angeles 7/9/06, 7/10/06, Honolulu (U2) 12/9/06, Santa Barbara (EV) 4/10/08, Los Angeles (EV) 4/12/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, VH1 Rock Honors The Who 7/12/08, Seattle 9/21/09, Universal City 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, San Diego 10/9/09, Los Angeles (EV) 7/8/11, Santa Barbara (EV) 7/9/11, Chicago 7/19/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, 11/24/13, Oakland 11/26/13, Chicago 8/22/16, Missoula 8/13/18, Boston 9/2/18, Los Angeles 2/25/22 (EV), San Diego 5/3/22, Los Angeles 5/6/22, 5/7/22, Imola 6/25/22, [Los Angeles 5/21/24], [London 6/29/24], [Boston 9/15/24]
  • Options
    holy shit! I did not know that happened.

and I like Manny and Pierre=--but what do I know?? I'm just a girl!!! :p
  • Options
    beachdwellerbeachdweller Posts: 1,532
    I hate the Dodgers more than any other sports team, Giants fan here, but I'm impressed with their moves to get Manny and Blake.
    "Music, for me, was fucking heroin." eV (nothing Ed has said is more true for me personally than this quote)

Stop by:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14678777351&ref=mf
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688

I'm excited about it. They really needed a big bat. The best thing is they didnt' give up anything big for him. I'm glad they still have Kemp.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688
    I hate the Dodgers more than any other sports team, Giants fan here, but I'm impressed with their moves to get Manny and Blake.

Giants sure put on a hitting display the last couple of games. What a joke that franchise is!
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    Giants sure put on a hitting display the last couple of games. What a joke that franchise is!

young pitching! thats it :)
  • Options

In fairness, that's just bias, probably based on geography. No rational sports fan could like the Giants.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,501
    No rational sports fan could like the Giants.

In my mind, no rational sports fan could like the Dodgers. :p

Nothing about who we root for is rational...

Will Clark annoyed you guys; Steve Garvey annoyed us.

You think Bonds was a dick; we felt the same about Mondesi and Sheffield.

I liked Kent as a (productive) Giant; hate his ass in Dodger blue. I despised Candy Maldonado as a Dodger, but loved him in SF. I'm sure it works the same in for you guys.

The minute Manny hits his first walk-off, you'll be loving him. You'll forgive his "Bondsisms" - the way he pimps his HR trots, his unwillingness to run hard, etc.

I'm not hating, I'm just saying.... The Dodgers will be better and that's bad for us Giants' fans. Yes, the G-Men are beyond pathetic. A thread on the Giants couldn't generate a page worth of responses :mad:.

Cut - I will now bow out of your thread. This trade threatens to disrupt my summer of blissful baseball indifference :p.

P.S. I like how this guy :mad: is ORANGE!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    You think Bonds was a dick; we felt the same about Mondesi and Sheffield.

I liked Kent as a (productive) Giant; hate his ass in Dodger blue. I despised Candy Maldonado as a Dodger, but loved him in SF. I'm sure it works the same in for you guys.

The minute Manny hits his first walk-off, you'll be loving him. You'll forgive his "Bondsisms" - the way he pimps his HR trots, his unwillingness to run hard, etc.

shit we thought the same thing :)

imalive wrote:
    Cut - I will now bow out of your thread. This trade threatens to disrupt my summer of blissful baseball indifference :p.

as i've said if manny helps us i'll eat my words but at this point i want ned coletti's head on a stick with his balls shoved in his mouth.....figures he came from sf ;):D