Toronto Blue Jays Thread

Comments

• Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    tough loss last night, could of swept the Spankees in NY

1-2 on the season

home opener tonight vs the other evil empire

Wakefield vs Marcum

Rios signed 6 year contract of $ 64 million today, as well Hill signed a 4 year deal of $ 12 million, which seems like a really good bargain, I thought he would get more
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    kenshuntkenshunt London, Ontario, Canada Posts: 2,863
    smarchee wrote:
    tough loss last night, could of swept the Spankees in NY

1-2 on the season

home opener tonight vs the other evil empire

Wakefield vs Marcum

Rios signed 6 year contract of $ 64 million today, as well Hill signed a 4 year deal of $ 12 million, which seems like a really good bargain, I thought he would get more
    I'm getting a little pumped to watch baseball, since the Leafs went and fucked me over for the third straight year.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    kenshunt wrote:
    I'm getting a little pumped to watch baseball, since the Leafs went and fucked me over for the third straight year.

it's also a nice change of pace before the madness of the NHL play-off watching that will be coming up
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    BenzorBenzor Posts: 886
    Marcum looks great tonight. I think we could have one of the best pitching staffs in the league this year. Offense could be a problem though...it was horrible last year and if it doesn't drastically improve then we simply have no chance to compete with the Yankees and Red Sox. Can't wait until Snider is ready. Him and Rios are the future of this lineup. STAIRS HOMER AS I WAS TYPING THIS. 1-0 JAYS!
  • Options
    tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    Hey, has anybody noticed what Overbay's pre-bat music has been? I know the last couple seasons it's been Jeremy.
  • Options
    Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    Hey, has anybody noticed what Overbay's pre-bat music has been? I know the last couple seasons it's been Jeremy.

yep cool eh? sometimes it's even flow too

marcum had a great game tonight, those throw back jerseys/caps too ! i was expecting a lot more for alomar's ceremony, it was all beeston and commercials
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
  • Options
    Lost_Clay wrote:
    yep cool eh? sometimes it's even flow too

marcum had a great game tonight, those throw back jerseys/caps too ! i was expecting a lot more for alomar's ceremony, it was all beeston and commercials
    Yeah Marcum throw a really good game today. Hell, all the pitching has been good so far and I'm kind of excited to see how Litsch will do tomorrow.
  • Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    Wow, just got back. What a crazy game. Fights in the upper deck. One of them had what looked to be about 10 ppl involved. 2 streakers running through the field with 2 outs in the top of the 9th (one guy and one girl, although they weren't fully naked), then the fans boo and throw crap all over the field. People were throwing their drinks and popcorn from the upper deck. I didn't realize Toronto fans were so nuts. I guess that's what you get when the home opener is a Friday night. I just took the GO Train home and there was another fight. Also a girl in the upper deck flashed everyone. Security came and wanted to kick her out..fans didn't like it and basically didn't allow it to happen, by giving security such a rough time. Many, many drunk people tonight. Art Mann should have been there.
  • Options
    uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    thanks for the free pizza, marcum!!!
    good game tongiht. can never go wrong beating boston at home in front of a sell-out crowd.
  • Options
    Great win. If our pitching stays healthy I really think we have a chance to win the east this year as long as Litsch or whoever our 5th starter ends up being doesn't kill us. For the first time in a while I actually see a bright future in Toronto. Snider should be ready in a year or 2 and with Rios, Wells, and Hill locked up to long term deals we should have at least 4 solid bats in our lineup for years to come. I honestly think we might only be a bat or 2 away from being one of the best teams in baseball.
  • Options
    It was nice to see the Big Hurt come through in the clutch, Matt Stairs hitting a homerun, Marcum 7 solid innings, Tallet had a strong 8th, and Accardo picking up his 2nd save :)
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    Red Lukin wrote:
    Wow, just got back. What a crazy game. Fights in the upper deck. One of them had what looked to be about 10 ppl involved. 2 streakers running through the field with 2 outs in the top of the 9th (one guy and one girl, although they weren't fully naked), then the fans boo and throw crap all over the field. People were throwing their drinks and popcorn from the upper deck. I didn't realize Toronto fans were so nuts. I guess that's what you get when the home opener is a Friday night. I just took the GO Train home and there was another fight. Also a girl in the upper deck flashed everyone. Security came and wanted to kick her out..fans didn't like it and basically didn't allow it to happen, by giving security such a rough time. Many, many drunk people tonight. Art Mann should have been there.

wow, that is quite the rowdy crowd
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    yeah it was nice to see Thomas come through in the clutch, though I don't think it is something to get used to. The 6th run knocked in also came with 2 outs, with is something this club stuggled with doing all last year, so it's a good sign the last 2 games have had 6 runs combined knocked in with 2 outs.

I love seeing Rios steal a base, and hope this continues, we need to get out of that AL 3-run HR mind-set that sits back and waits for the bats to deliver. Gibbons needs to put strategy together all year long to manufacture more runs.

Can't argue with the performances of all 4 of the starters so far, if we can get this type of pitching all year, we will be in great shape

Tallet has looked strong in both relief appearances, I believe that will be 2 holds for him
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    If we can get League and Ryan healthy it looks like we may have one of the deepest bull pens in the league. I completely agree about manufacturing runs. Bottom line is that we are not a power team...Rios and Wells SHOULD hit 30 homers but that's not a guarantee and Thomas can't be counted on for anything much over 25 at this point. We need to run more and put pressure on opposing teams instead of waiting for the big hit that doesn't come. We just don't have the team for that.
  • Options
    Well Hill just got a nice bunt single
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    Oh snap Big Hurt just got his first of the year.

10-2 Jays.
  • Options
    Lets get out the brooms and sweep those Redsox :) Halladay will pick up victory number one for him on the season.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    The Big Hurt laid down the grand slam and the Jays sweep the Bo-Sox :)
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    ...and let there be rest...

the boys deserve it, and hopefully continue their strong streak against oakland.
    twonie tuesday, here i come.
  • Options
    well, I am not going to get too high on the opening week, but I am really impressed. We all knew the pitching could be strong, but the emphasis is on could because McGowan and Marcum are still untested. They pitched great in both of their outings, but did tire around the 6th, which should get better as the season improves. Litch also had his ball dancing around the plate in his start.

But the huge key to this first week, and I am going to say this all season long, is the hitting runners in scoring position with 2 outs, a stat that killed this team last year and contributed to the mediocre offensive stats. The Jays have been hitting the ball great in the clutch this past week, which is a great sign for the 2008 season. Both Frank Thomas's home runs came with 2 outs and runners in scoring position vs Boston this weekend

It was great to sweep Boston, and a good time to deliver that sweep, as seem vulnerable with the Japan journey hangover.

Oakland in town Tuesday, should be a team the Jays can handle at home
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    hodgehodge Posts: 519
    being aggressive on base path is key
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • Options
    uglybabouglybabo Posts: 518
    Well, it looks like Harden is out for the Oakland series.

It's been a great opening week, but it'll be interesting to see how they play against the 'weaker' teams.
  • Options
    Does anybody know if Burnett has a no-trade clause?
  • Options
    sad, burnett, sad.
    not what i was expecting from him today. not only did he screw up my home team early, but he also fucked up my fantasy team (at least dice-k, lincecum & bedard picked up his slack).

...and FRANK THE TANK is our greatest clutch player right now.
  • Options
    Does anybody know what's happening right now in the J's and O's game? Trying to keep track on the mlb gameday, but it's been stuck on the same batter for 20 minutes.
  • Options
    11 for the last 100 with runners in scoring position

what a disgrace of a stat

I miss Reed Johnson, and watching Johnny Mac play everyday

Fuck JP
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    You seen the numbers Johnson is posting with the Cubs? Good decision JP. If Lind doesn't have a good year I'm gonna be pissed.
  • Options
    smarchee wrote:
    11 for the last 100 with runners in scoring position

what a disgrace of a stat

I miss Reed Johnson, and watching Johnny Mac play everyday

Fuck JP
    Their inability to bring home runners is pathetic, and is incredibly frustrating to watch. I also miss Reed Johnson. He was clutch. Johnny Mac is so much fun to watch play, and should be playing everyday. He doesn't have much of a bat, but he sure makes up for it on the field. Hopefully, Rolen will make his presence known now that he's back from injury and in the line-up.
    No time to be void or save up on life. You got to spend it all.
  • Options
    uglybabouglybabo Posts: 518
    Just thought this thread deserved a bump...

We are 20 and 9 in May and that's without Wells; only two back of the WC.
  • Options
    well June has been fucking awful

now David Bush, ex-Jay, has a no-hitter threw 7 innings in Milwaukee

oh, and a sweep by the Brewers

oh, and JP shooting his mouth off about Adam Dunn, a potential player who could be the power bat in LF that the Jays dearly need

FUCK JP
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2