Options

Toronto Blue Jays Thread

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    kenshuntkenshunt London, Ontario, Canada Posts: 2,863
    Fire JP the guy gets the payroll raised every year and they can't win, the pitching is pretty good, i think they have enough bats, but why aren't they coming through, maybe gibbons needs to be fired as well.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    After being swept in Milwaukee by the Brewers and losing five straight game, the Toronto Blue Jays have fired manager John Gibbons, coaches Marty Pevey, Ernie Whitt and Gary Denbo.

Cito Gaston has returned as the manager for the remainder of the season. Nick Leyva will coach at third base and Gene Tenace returns as the hitting coach - both coaches from the Blue Jays 1992 and 1993 World Series title era. Roving hitting instructor Dwayne Murphy will take over as the first base coach.

Gaston becomes the first two-time manager of the Blue Jays, moving over from his position as club ambassador and special assistant to the president and CEO.

He managed the Blue Jays from 1989-1997 and led the team to four playoff appearances including back-to-back championships in 1992 and 1993.

The team made the announcement Friday afternoon in Pittsburgh before the start of their three game series with the Pirates.

The Jays, who were expected to contend in the AL East and the Wild Card, find themselves in last place in the division with a 35-39 record.

Gibbons, took over the Jays job at the end of the 2004 season, replacing Carlos Tosca. In three full seasons from 2004-2008 under Gibbons, the Jays never finished with fewer than 80 wins or more than 87.

In 610 career games as a manger, Gibbons has a 305-305 record. He was making $650,000 this year.

Gaston becomes the fourth Blue Jays manager in seven years under General Manager J.P. Ricciardi. Tosca replaced the fired Buck Martinez, whom Ricciardi inherited from former GM Gord Ash.

A press conference has been called for 3:30pm et, where Jays GM J.P. Ricciardi and Gaston will address the media.
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    kenshuntkenshunt London, Ontario, Canada Posts: 2,863
    Lmao, This Is To Funny, But I Read It On Tsn.ca Lmao
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    kenshunt wrote:
    Lmao, This Is To Funny, But I Read It On Tsn.ca Lmao

lol, um, bringing back the 1990s ?

ok, where have these guys been in the last 15 years since they were fired ? They all come back together. Weird

Seems like this decision came from Mr. Godfrey, not JP, maybe a condition that he not get the boot as well

What a failure Denbo was, who had some much praise from the Yankee hitters, like Jeter I think, when he was hired
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    14 runs last night, what the hell

team doesn't know anything other than feast or famine with the offense
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    hodgehodge Posts: 519
    cito brings us titles in 09 and 10...this is sik.
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • Options
    tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    Why can't the Blue Jays ever get anybody out with two outs?
  • Options
    Halladay was just plain right filthy last night, his curve ball was all over the place, I don't think he threw a ball straight all night.

CG 2 hitter, up to 9-6 now, he must make the All-Star team and I am hoping for some Cy Young buzz soon

I frickin love watching Halladay, for real, he has become my 2nd favourite Blue Jay pitcher of all time after Dave Steib. I seriously hope the Jays can compete while he is the Ace of the staff, and if not, that he goes somewhere in 2010 where he can get some more attention because there is not one player in MLB that deserves more exposure right now that plays in Toronto, just think how much of a legend he would be if he pitched in NY the last 10 years
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    uglybabouglybabo Posts: 518
    Yes the Doc is amazing...

I'm pretty sure that it's too late for this year, but the last week or so has been a nice turn around.

If the Jays had done this a couple of weeks earlier, and picked up a hitter at the trade deadline, I think we'd have had a shot at the wild card.
  • Options
    Halladay probably doesn't have a chance at winning the Cy Young this year. He's pitched great, but his lack of run support is what's going to kill any hope for it this year.
  • Options
    it's a shame doc has to waste away in toronto

he definitely deserves a shot to play with a contender
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • Options
    hodge wrote:
    it's a shame doc has to waste away in toronto

he definitely deserves a shot to play with a contender

I think he'll probably leave as a FA or be traded in 2010 if the Jays don't contend, and can you blame him ?
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    read this on a Seattle Mariners fan blog after the win Monday night....

Roy Halladay. He doesn't have the spotlight of Josh Beckett or the sexiness of Felix or Harden on top of their games, but if there's another pitcher in baseball who's just so much fun to watch go to work every five days, I'd love to hear who. There's no frustration with Halladay. There's no line of thinking that "if only he could make this one little change he'd be awesome". There's not really any criticism because there's nothing to criticize - Roy Halladay is a smart, talented, and consistent starting pitcher who, every five days, comes out and pitches at his peak. He'll lose a game from time to time, but it's not because he made a mistake; it's because the other team just happened to hit his pitches, and shit happens, and he'll go right back out and throw the same pitches a few days later.

Roy Halladay doesn't face hitters. Hitters face Roy Halladay, and when you hit against Roy Halladay, you have to play by his rules. The only say you have in the matter is whether to bother swinging or to simply walk back to the dugout and spare yourself the humiliation. With Halladay in control, it's essentially like playing the slots - you just hope to get lucky once or twice, because at the end of the day, you're likely to be in the red. There's no other way around it. This is a pitcher who has mastered his craft, a pitcher for whom nearly every single offering is thrown by design. And that can be incredibly intimidating.

Roy Halladay is always on the offensive. He's a one-man army moving the front, and while opponents try to do what they can to slow him down, he seldom breaks stride. Tonight Roy Halladay tied Cleveland for the Major League lead in complete games. He's thrown more complete games than Florida, Houston, Cincinnati, San Francisco, Pittsburgh, New York, Chicago, Colorado, Washington, and Detroit combined. And over those six complete games he's averaged just 111 pitches. For the sake of comparison, the Angels threw 124 pitches in an eight-inning no-hitter last weekend. Halladay is not only extraordinarily talented, but he's also extraordinarily efficient, and this is a combination that makes him quite possibly the most valuable pitcher on the planet. For seven or eight innings a day he throws strikes, misses bats, and keeps the ball on the ground, routinely allowing Toronto to stay in the game despite an offense that's barely given him a lick of support. On only one occasion all year long has Halladay come out of a game with his team behind by more than three runs. If that's not the definition of an ace, I don't know what is.

On a team that no one watches in a place that barely cares, Roy Halladay has developed into one of the most remarkably unique and successful athletes of his generation, and at just 31 years of age, there's no telling how far he can go. He certainly isn't showing any signs of slowing down, and one could make the argument that he's only going to improve as he continues his transformation into a machine with a beard. He's taken such a substantial step forward this year that who's to say when he's hit his ceiling? If Roy Halladay's career has taught me anything, it's that he's always capable of new surprises, and I just feel privileged to be able to watch somebody who's so clearly better than almost everyone else. The approximation of human perfection is a sight unlike any other on the planet.

Thanks for coming by, Roy. It's been a pleasure
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    what an awesome article
  • Options
    hodge wrote:
    what an awesome article

yeah, it certainly is a great blog entry

I like this line, it's Chuck Norris-esqu..........Roy Halladay doesn't face hitters. Hitters face Roy Halladay, and when you hit against Roy Halladay, you have to play by his rules.
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    nice sweep of the O's, who we have to finish ahead of in the standings, the Jays just cannot finish last behind the Orioles.

Adam Jones is going to be a stud

2 9th inning wins, first since September of 2007

I like the way Adam Lind is hitting

looks like McGowan is in trouble with his shoulder, DON'T RUSH HIM J.P.
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    awesome performance by Roy tonight, just a treat to watch, that breaking ball was just unhittable, he had no-hit stuff tonight
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    A-Rod gets some Madonna-themed taunting from Toronto Jays' fans.

Usually when there are chants of "Ma-don-na!" in a stadium, it's the sound of Madge's legions of girl and boy toys paying tribute. But at the Jays vs. Yankees game in Toronto on Friday, July 11, that name was the sound of jeering against third baseman Alex Rodriguez.

The recently anointed tabloid target, whose wife Cynthia is filing for divorce amidst accusations that A-Rod had an "affair of the heart" with Madonna, was hazed with fans wielding photos of Madonna, and names like "cheater."

When A-Rod was up to bat, the potent zingers included "you've only got four minutes... to lose!" and, in reference to A-Rod's sports rival, one guy shouted an incredulous, "Jose Conseco f--ked Madonna! Jose Conseco!"

The Material Curse may have worked. The Jays won 5-0
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    I am now officially hating the Tampa Bay (Devil) Rays

they can fuck-off with the rest of the AL East
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    .500!
  • Options
    .500!

indeed lol

how long can it last

fucking twice they have played the Mariners this season and the M's won both series, ugh
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options