Options

Toronto Blue Jays Thread

Comments

• Options
    uglybabouglybabo Posts: 518
    Well... it was close; and we're back at .500!

And NOW it looks like the Jays are going to trade Glaus...
  • Options
    gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
    The gatorade shower knocked out the mic ...

great game.

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
  • Options
    Spring training has begun...

I know the whole overly optimistic feeling every season, but is anyone else excited to see this team?

Scott Rolen
    David Eckstein
    the return of BJ
    the 'return' of Wells and Overbay

Even if we don't win the wild card, here's to some meaningful September games.
  • Options
    kenshuntkenshunt London, Ontario, Canada Posts: 2,863
    Im more interested in seeing how McGowan pitches, and see if Rolen still has it at fielding especially.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    kenshunt wrote:
    Im more interested in seeing how McGowan pitches, and see if Rolen still has it at fielding especially.

Yeah, if McGowan puts it all together, with AJ in his walk year, another steady year from Doc - if the Jays made it they would have a great 1-2-3 for the playoffs.
  • Options
    Starting Rotation
    Halladay
    Burnett
    Mcgowan
    Chacin
    Marcum

Thats my guess
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,141
    kenshunt wrote:
    Starting Rotation
    Halladay
    Burnett
    Mcgowan
    Chacin
    Marcum

Thats my guess

Whats the over under on number of games before Chacin gets hurt! :p
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Options
    kenshunt wrote:
    Starting Rotation
    Halladay
    Burnett
    Mcgowan
    Chacin
    Marcum

Thats my guess

I think if Ryan is on the roster, then they're going to try Casey for the 5th spot...
  • Options
    kenshunt wrote:
    Starting Rotation
    Halladay
    Burnett
    Mcgowan
    Chacin
    Marcum

Thats my guess
    I highly doubt Chacin is going to make it onto the opening day roster. He'd have to be back to form and it seems a little too soon for that.
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    I highly doubt Chacin is going to make it onto the opening day roster. He'd have to be back to form and it seems a little too soon for that.

yeah, not sure if he has any options, but I think he would have, as he came up and stayed for the whole season for his rookie year and he has been injured the past 2 years

Jesse Litch will be the 5th starter to start the season, unless he gets bombed in Spring Training or is injured, and maybe Chacin being the long-man to start the year, or starting in AAA

I'll have my watchful eye on Eckstein, as I became a HUGE McDonald fan over the last couple of years he has been a Jay, and he became one of my favourite players to watch last year after he became the starting SS. Just a shame he won't be the opening-day SS presumably with that sparking defence, a treat to tune-in and watch
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    smarchee wrote:
    yeah, not sure if he has any options, but I think he would have, as he came up and stayed for the whole season for his rookie year and he has been injured the past 2 years

Jesse Litch will be the 5th starter to start the season, unless he gets bombed in Spring Training or is injured, and maybe Chacin being the long-man to start the year, or starting in AAA

I'll have my watchful eye on Eckstein, as I became a HUGE McDonald fan over the last couple of years he has been a Jay, and he became one of my favourite players to watch last year after he became the starting SS. Just a shame he won't be the opening-day SS presumably with that sparking defence, a treat to tune-in and watch
    I remember reading online that Chacin still has at least one option year left.

I totally agree with the McDonald thing though. Almost every game I saw he did some crazy play that made it to the highlight reel.
  • Options
    I remember reading online that Chacin still has at least one option year left.

I totally agree with the McDonald thing though. Almost every game I saw he did some crazy play that made it to the highlight reel.

yeah, he was one of the best reasons for turning into some of those god-awful games late in September vs Baltimore and Tampa Bay, ugh
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    This an interesting move by J.P, depth is always a good thing, and Shannon Stewarts numbers were pretty good last year.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/2008/02/24/jays_stewart/
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    kenshunt wrote:
    This an interesting move by J.P, depth is always a good thing, and Shannon Stewarts numbers were pretty good last year.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/2008/02/24/jays_stewart/
    Seems like a good move, but all these depth signings are probably going to start causing some sort of tension in the clubhouse.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
  • Options
    Seems like a good move, but all these depth signings are probably going to start causing some sort of tension in the clubhouse.
    As someone on tv said Reed Johnson is use to be treated like shit from J.P
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    kenshunt wrote:
    As someone on tv said Reed Johnson is use to be treated like shit from J.P
    Yeah, but getting sent down to Triple A would be a lot worse then the recent platoon situations.
  • Options
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,141
    http://sports.sympatico.msn.ca/MLB/Columns/Articles/Brattain-080229

John Brattain finds reasons to be both optimistic and pessimistic about the Toronto Blue Jays in 2008.

It was a frustrating 2007 to be sure. The offence struggled save for the very beginning and end of the season. In the 139 games from April 12-September 15, the Jays scored four or fewer runs 91 times (65.5% of games played), three or fewer 65 times (46.8% of games played), two or less 47 times (33.8% of games played), played eighteen contests where they scored one run or fewer and were shut out four times.

Ouch.

Certainly, injuries were the main culprit. Vernon Wells, Reed Johnson, Lyle Overbay, Gregg Zaun and Troy Glaus were all slowed by injury. The scrubs (save Matt Stairs) filling in were barely half of league average offensively; Frank Thomas had a batting/on base/slugging average of .226/.370/.392 as late as June 19, when you put it all together your lineup inspires gales of laughter among opposing pitching staffs.

However, the injury woes did have a positive effect on the pitching corps. John Gibbons was obligated to press into service youngsters named Dustin McGowan, Shaun Marcum, and Jesse Litsch and give the setup/closing duties to Casey Janssen and Jeremy Accardo. The AL went from laughing at the lineup to asking a Butch Cassidy-esque “Who are these guys?” as the Jays had the second best pitching in the league behind the World Champion Boston Red Sox when the dust settled.

Part of their success could be attributed to the Jays superb defence that was among the best in the league.

Of course, that was then and this is now. It’s time to look ahead and see what 2008 has in store for baseball fans in the frozen north.

Why I am optimistic about the Blue Jays

It would be hard to imagine that the offence could be any worse than it was last year. Gone is Troy Glaus and in his stead is a healthy Scott Rolen (who will draw some Hall of Fame attention five years after his retirement). Both Alex Rios and Aaron Hill will continue to improve and build upon their fine 2007 seasons. Frank Thomas has made some adjustments in his preseason work in hopes of getting off to a faster start. If Vernon Wells is league average, it’ll be an improvement on 2007. David Eckstein has legit on base skills and he and/or Reed Johnson should set the table for the big guns behind them.

The Jays reserves look to be among the better benches the team has had in recent memory. Some combination of Marcos Scutaro, Reed Johnson, Matt Stairs, Rob Barajas (or intriguing young backstop Robinzon Diaz), John McDonald and possibly Russ Adams will ensure that there will be decent backups both offensively and defensively.

Not only will the Jays have a solid rotation, they will have some serious pitching depth besides with the return of B.J. Ryan, Brandon League and Davis Romero giving the Jays healthy competition for the No. 5 starter’s job with Litsch, Janssen and possibly Gustavo Chacin vying for the role.

Others could make a mark besides them. They say pitching and defence wins games (although last season told me otherwise) and the Jays have an abundance of both. Certainly Toronto has the makings of a better than league average offence to go along with it. Barring a catastrophe, this team should be playing meaningful September games.

Why I am pessimistic about the Blue Jays

The Blue Jays’ offence could blow chow again in 2008. Frank Thomas and Matt Stairs could both hit like 40 years old non-steroid users. Since his rookie year, Reed Johnson has had only one season with an OBP above .335 (.390 in 2006). Scott Rolen’s power could be gone due to his shoulder woes, he could still have lingering effects from his injuries; his OBP has been above .335 once over his last three seasons. Vernon Wells has had only two seasons in his career where he was significantly above league average offensively and those seasons could be aberrations and his true talent level offensively is about league average.

Other concerns are that David Eckstein is 33 and might have trouble readjusting to the AL. His only assets offensively are contact and on base ability, if he loses that…

Also, Gregg Zaun will be old-for-a-catcher 37 (although he doesn’t have the wear and tear of other catchers that age due to catching in only 877 major league games) and while Rod Barajas has some pop, he is no better at getting on base than Sal Fasano.

All of these things are well within the realm of possibility. That would make Ca, CF, LF, SS, 3B and DH (of all things) below league average holes in the lineup leaving the offence in the hands of Alex Rios, Aaron Hill and Lyle Overbay. Three guys trying to keep up with the Yankees and Red Sox?

Don’t think so -- J.P. had better hope Barry Bonds remains unsigned going into the regular season.

The pitching, which was superb in 2007, has some concerns. A.J. Burnett can be both brilliant and fragile for long stretches. Jesse Litsch’s stellar 3.81 ERA last season defied his peripherals (hits allowed, BB, K) and the No. 5 starter job is wide open. While durable, Roy Halladay is snake-bitten being taken out by everything from line drives to appendicitis. While Dustin McGowan has overwhelming stuff, Shaun Marcum needs to keep the ball down to succeed. He also wore down with the biggest workload of his career to date. I think the rotation will be fine; there exists the possibility for disaster.

The bullpen has a plethora of live arms, but what happens if B.J. Ryan needs time to build up arm strength? Jeremy Accardo filled in admirably in the closer role but can he repeat that performance? The Jays will be holding their breath to see how Davis Romero and Brandon League are throwing and if John Gibbons has concerns, that will take Casey Janssen out of the starting mix and back into eighth inning duties. Again, I think this will be a team strength but it cannot be assumed.

As previously mentioned -- this is a solid club that should be in contention. It’s unlikely the Jays injury jinx will continue (or be as bad as last season). Colour me cautiously optimistic about the 2008 edition of the Toronto Blue Jays.
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Options
    So Reed Johnson got released, he is a heart and soul guy, for Shannon Stewart c'mon, and Scott Rolen broke a finger and A.J shows how much of a waste of money he is, Bj Ryan has stiffness in his repared shoulder or whatever.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    another brutal score on the board today, 10-0. Not an impressive spring.

dissapointed Reed was dropped, JP sure likes to bury his mistakes, and never let them redeem themsevles with TO

glad he got picked up with the Cubs

Stewart is less than impressive, and I would rather see Sparky on the roster

hoping this is J.P.'s last year with the Jays
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    smarchee wrote:
    another brutal score on the board today, 10-0. Not an impressive spring.

dissapointed Reed was dropped, JP sure likes to bury his mistakes, and never let them redeem themsevles with TO

glad he got picked up with the Cubs

Stewart is less than impressive, and I would rather see Sparky on the roster

hoping this is J.P.'s last year with the Jays
    They did have 5 errors in one inning lol, and Roy was tagged with all 10
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    Rolen now out 6-8 weeks, bleh

you watch, Glaus is going to have a huge year for St. Louis

no hockey on tonight, going to watch the Jays v. Phillies on Sportsnet at 7 tonight, see how they look
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    hodgehodge Posts: 519
    12.5 hours.
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • Options
    uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    can't wait for the home opener... now i just need to find tickets.
    if i don't make it in for friday's game, the first twonie tuesday'll be my first one of the season.
  • Options
    Tough loss last night, but its good to see doc still has the stuff :)
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    While the Jays have reached .500 ball with there 5-2 win over the NYY lol, Vernon Wells hit a 2 run shot, while A.J went 6 innings giving up 2 runs on the A-Rod homerun, Accardo got the save, so let's see if the Jays can win the first series of the 08 season tonight.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    I liked the result of last night's game

AJ looked good on the mound, but in typically fashion, he walked the first batter in the 6th on some questionably tight calls, then got all nervous and threw a big fat fastball up to A-Fraud

Tallet coming out of the pen and shutting down the Yanks in the 6th and 7th was quite impressive, did he pitch the 8th as well ?

Say what you will about Accardo, but he doesn't get rattled, he was throwing some heavy fastballs in the 9th, challenging hitters and threw one by A-Fraud for the K

I am liking the fact that this team is choosing to run some more, Scutaro has 2 swipes Tuesday night and I think Rios had another one, and then a CS last night. I would like to see Gibbons using this tactic more than the Jays are accustomed to.

I was impressed with Barajas last night, first time watching him, seems really good behind the plate and helped AJ along well, as well he through out Jeter I think, and with Zaun throwing out a runner last night, it would be great to have that awful stat of 2006.

Eckstein has been awful in the first 2 games offensively. Johnny Mac would be better for the team overall if Eckstein continues to put up this production.

Thomas is really getting difficult to watch, he just looks way too old to catch up to many fastballs anymore. I would like to see him hit # 6 hole with OVerbay moving up to # 7, as well as Hill move up to # 2

Tonight, going for the rubber in the Bronx

McGowan v Hughes

GO JAYS !!!!
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto