Why do titles change from the UK to the US?

2

Comments

  • Lizard wrote:

    but not the word Mutant? that's funny.

    I don't get it either.

    I'm going to Wiki it.
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    The Uk has it's fair share of simpletons, don't be too hard on yourselves.
    Out of interest, who over there in America knows what nationality Tom Jones is..?
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • I don't get it either.

    I'm going to Wiki it.

    'Upon TMNT's first arrival in the United Kingdom, Sweden and Germany, the name was changed to "Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles" (or TMHT, for short), since local censorship policies deemed the word ninja to have excessively violent connotations for a children's program.'

    I don't get this bit though...

    'The lyrics were also changed, such as changing "Splinter taught them to be ninja teens" to the "Splinter taught them to be fighting teens."

    hahaha! That's so stupid!
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    stupid americans.

    for the record, northern lights is a much cooler title than golden compass. maybe they thought it would encourage drug use in kids? god knows we're pretty paranoid about that nonsense. what about the second book or later harry potter books? are those the same? im surprised subtle knife passed muster... subtlety is not very american.
    If you are not part of the solution than you are part of the problem.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,211
    TrixieCat wrote:
    If you are not part of the solution than you are part of the problem.

    what solution? i'm part of the solution becos im not a fucking dunce. that's my solution. don't be a fucking idiot :)
    deserve's got nothing to do with it.
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool.Posts: 31,139
    jamie uk wrote:
    The Uk has it's fair share of simpletons, don't be too hard on yourselves.
    Out of interest, who over there in America knows what nationality Tom Jones is..?

    welsh.....i wonder why you asked that....:p :D
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    what solution? i'm part of the solution becos im not a fucking dunce. that's my solution. don't be a fucking idiot :)
    Sitting around, pounding away on your computer about it doesn't solve the problem.
    It is really fashionable to diss America, I know. It just comes so easily.
    But what you are really doing is making Americans look worse. Sorry. Just my opinion. You can be as book smart as you want to appear to be, but being a good human being, not quick to turn on his neighbors, is what I think is more admirable. A true measure of a man.

    whoa, holy run on sentence.....lol
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    cutback wrote:
    welsh.....i wonder why you asked that....:p :D
    Hah, I should have known you'd be a fan CB, a lot of panty throwing goes on around you too my friend, so I hear.

    I asked because a particularly articulate, and intelligent, not to mention beautiful American person once confessed to me that they thought he was ...American...!
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    TrixieCat wrote:
    You can be as book smart as you want to appear to be, but being a good human being, not quick to turn on his neighbors, is what I think is more admirable. A true measure of a man.


    so you want him to lie :confused:

    because he recognises the failings of his countrymen makes him less a man???

    your post reeks of typical american rhetoric... i can sit here at my comp and realise that over 50% of all scottish people are thicker than a wooly mammoth quiche... but that doesnt make me a bad human being... my predilection for porn and booze makes me a bad person... not truth or reality
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    dunkman wrote:
    so you want him to lie :confused:

    because he recognises the failings of his countrymen makes him less a man???

    your post reeks of typical american rhetoric... i can sit here at my comp and realise that over 50% of all scottish people are thicker than a wooly mammoth quiche... but that doesnt make me a bad human being... my predilection for porn and booze makes me a bad person... not truth or reality
    lol...typical american rhetoric. And his constant posts about how much he thinks americans suck ass don't? lol
    Well maybe they reek more of apathy.
    I have never been one to applaud anyone's efforts to put down their neighbor. I realize I am in the minority and I don't care.
    And by saying that he is helping the situation by not being an idiot is indicative of what he is saying. So cool, I guess.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • LizardLizard So CalPosts: 11,946
    dunkman wrote:
    so you want him to lie :confused:

    because he recognises the failings of his countrymen makes him less a man???

    your post reeks of typical american rhetoric... i can sit here at my comp and realise that over 50% of all scottish people are thicker than a wooly mammoth quiche... but that doesnt make me a bad human being... my predilection for porn and booze makes me a bad person... not truth or reality
    It's not just our country.
    it's the whole FREAKIN HUMAN RACE!!! (are you a part of that? ;))
    Is it over yet? #ITMFA
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    True Liz, sometimes I drive through my town, and some of the excuses I see for human beings worries me, not a good thought, days work, or a bar of soap amongst them..just a welfare cheque, and a one way ticket to the ciggarettes and booze. I like America, and you guys.
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    TrixieCat wrote:
    I have never been one to applaud anyone's efforts to put down their neighbor.

    even when that putdown is right?


    patriotism is a dangerous thing
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • LizardLizard So CalPosts: 11,946
    jamie uk wrote:
    True Liz, sometimes I drive through my town, and some of the excuses I see for human beings worries me, not a good thought, days work, or a bar of soap amongst them..just a welfare cheque, and a one way ticket to the ciggarettes and booze. I like America, and you guys.

    ha ha.

    Let's go live amongst the animals in the forest!

    (and I love you people across the pond too! :D )
    Is it over yet? #ITMFA
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Lizard wrote:
    It's not just our country.
    it's the whole FREAKIN HUMAN RACE!!! (are you a part of that? ;))

    you're right.. EVERY country has its fair percentage of dumbfuckers... Trixie not RECOGNISING that is my issue... to admit to ones failings is more a measure of a man.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    dunkman wrote:
    you're right.. EVERY country has its fair percentage of dumbfuckers... Trixie not RECOGNISING that is my issue... to admit to ones failings is more a measure of a man.
    Oh no you don't.
    ANd it is not necessarily patriotism. You don't know me well enough to assume that.
    I will re-phrase for you. I am a woman. I am allowed.
    I don't like when ANYONE sits around and pretends they are the better person simply because they have had the PRIVILEGE of a higher education. Or the privilege of being introduced to the wonders of literature and the arts, the spoken word and the laws of physics.
    To me, to consider yourself on a higher plane and to boast about it, is the measure of a lesser man. Is that better? I know it isn't lol
    I will give you one example of someone we all know.
    FinsburyParkCarrots. Ridiculously educated. Awesome lyricist and musician. I have never found him to be condescending. Maybe he has. I have not noticed it. He measures very high on my list of men here.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    TrixieCat wrote:
    Oh no you don't.
    ANd it is not necessarily patriotism. You don't know me well enough to assume that.
    I will re-phrase for you. I am a woman. I am allowed.
    I don't like when ANYONE sits around and pretends they are the better person simply because they have had the PRIVILEGE of a higher education. Or the privilege of being introduced to the wonders of literature and the arts, the spoken word and the laws of physics.
    To me, to consider yourself on a higher plane and to boast about it, is the measure of a lesser man. Is that better? I know it isn't lol
    I will give you one example of someone we all know.
    FinsburyParkCarrots. Ridiculously educated. Awesome lyricist and musician. I have never found him to be condescending. Maybe he has. I have not noticed it. He measures very high on my list of men here.

    Not to quote the old fairy tale book to often, but I think what we are saying here is...judge not, lest ye be judged yourself. Or something like that. Humility is a great quality in a person, we should remember that,..even when we see the scrounging low lifes going to the pub at 10.30 every morning when we're 4 hours into a 12 hour working day...
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    TrixieCat wrote:
    I will give you one example of someone we all know.
    FinsburyParkCarrots. Ridiculously educated. Awesome lyricist and musician. I have never found him to be condescending. Maybe he has. I have not noticed it. He measures very high on my list of men here.


    tell you what... ask Fins about chavs?
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    dunkman wrote:
    tell you what... ask Fins about chavs?
    :(
    You know, for a minute I thought that you had posted Jamie's response and I was shocked, and pleased.
    I thought maybe we had reached some common ground on the issue.
    Oh well.
    I don't want to ask him about whatever that is. I like him the way I think he is.
    :)
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    TrixieCat wrote:
    I don't like when ANYONE sits around and pretends they are the better person simply because they have had the PRIVILEGE of a higher education.

    in the Uk we are all given the same PRIVILEGE... in the US it depends on daddys bak account.. but here we can all attain higher education.. and in Scotland its gratis ;)


    the richest country in the world NOT providing FREE education or health care is far more alarming than Souly sitting on his arse casting doubts on his neighbours intelligence.. the richest nation in the world is spending billions on a war it need not be in whilst its own citizens children dont know what a fucking philospher is, or the Northern Lights... they know where Iraq is cos bodybags are labelled... ask them to point to Iceland and they are fucked
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    jamie uk wrote:
    .judge not, lest ye be judged yourself.


    bible crap... ;)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • I remember when the 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' was changed to '...Hero Turtles' in this country because someone objected to the word 'Ninja'.
    Some of the Sesame Street episodes from the late '60s/early '70s are now on DVD and apparently it comes with a warning label, something like "possibly not suitable for today's youth, intended for mature audiences". Where does it end? I think the kids of that generation turned out pretty okay, much better than today's generation, anyway.

    With regards to title changes, it's all about marketing. It's funny, but people are less likely and more likely to see certain movies depending on their title. I understand Philosopher's Stone vs. Sorcerer's Stone. 13 Going on 30 in US/Canada is Suddenly 30 in Australia. I never really got that one.
    No time to be void or save up on life. You got to spend it all.
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    dunkman wrote:
    bible crap... ;)
    Hey, don't get me wrong man, I'm far from a bible thumper...far from it, believe me. But there's kind of a human truth in that saying, doncha think..? Just like my other favourite biblical saying..."right, you call me big nose again and I'll take you to the fucking cleaners". It has a certain ring. Sorry, what were we on about..? I've got http://www.planetrock.com on here, and Jimmy Page just blew my train of thought clean away.
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    dunkman wrote:
    in the Uk we are all given the same PRIVILEGE... in the US it depends on daddys bak account.. but here we can all attain higher education.. and in Scotland its gratis ;)


    the richest country in the world NOT providing FREE education or health care is far more alarming than Souly sitting on his arse casting doubts on his neighbours intelligence.. the richest nation in the world is spending billions on a war it need not be in whilst its own citizens children dont know what a fucking philospher is, or the Northern Lights... they know where Iraq is cos bodybags are labelled... ask them to point to Iceland and they are fucked
    Listen, I have that conversation with my lovely father once a week. We are completely distressed by the war and the billions of dollars being wasted to calm a country that we are not even sure was solely or even partially behind the attacks. Saudi Arabia is not Afghanistan...tell that to Bush.
    And you know what? There are children CHILDREN for fuck's sake that don't have enough to eat everyday here. They are starving, never mind getting a proper education.
    I am aware of the problems.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Some of the Sesame Street episodes from the late '60s/early '70s are now on DVD and apparently it comes with a warning label, something like "possibly not suitable for today's youth, intended for mature audiences". Where does it end? I think the kids of that generation turned out pretty okay, much better than today's generation, anyway.
    Maybe it was that Count Dracula guy. He was pretty scary. *shudder*
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,211
    dunkman wrote:
    so you want him to lie :confused:

    because he recognises the failings of his countrymen makes him less a man???

    your post reeks of typical american rhetoric... i can sit here at my comp and realise that over 50% of all scottish people are thicker than a wooly mammoth quiche... but that doesnt make me a bad human being... my predilection for porn and booze makes me a bad person... not truth or reality

    yeah, i heard 'god bless america' playing in the background as i read that one.
    deserve's got nothing to do with it.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,211
    TrixieCat wrote:
    lol...typical american rhetoric. And his constant posts about how much he thinks americans suck ass don't? lol
    Well maybe they reek more of apathy.
    I have never been one to applaud anyone's efforts to put down their neighbor. I realize I am in the minority and I don't care.
    And by saying that he is helping the situation by not being an idiot is indicative of what he is saying. So cool, I guess.

    i'd say they reek more of reality. i can't force america to get smarter. i'll stop putting down my neighbors when they stop living up to it.
    deserve's got nothing to do with it.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,211
    Some of the Sesame Street episodes from the late '60s/early '70s are now on DVD and apparently it comes with a warning label, something like "possibly not suitable for today's youth, intended for mature audiences". Where does it end? I think the kids of that generation turned out pretty okay, much better than today's generation, anyway.

    please tell me you're joking about this...
    deserve's got nothing to do with it.
  • Some of the Sesame Street episodes from the late '60s/early '70s are now on DVD and apparently it comes with a warning label, something like "possibly not suitable for today's youth, intended for mature audiences". Where does it end? I think the kids of that generation turned out pretty okay, much better than today's generation, anyway.


    I heard about that too.. They were talking about it on the view. Crazy, and yet pretty damn sad.
  • Some of the Sesame Street episodes from the late '60s/early '70s are now on DVD and apparently it comes with a warning label, something like "possibly not suitable for today's youth, intended for mature audiences". Where does it end? I think the kids of that generation turned out pretty okay, much better than today's generation, anyway.

    I heard about this too.. They also mentioned it on the View. Crazy, and pretty damn sad.

    Has anyone seen sesame street these days? Its much different from even the 80's when I watched it.
Sign In or Register to comment.