6 Years Ago - A Jet Plane Crashes in my Neighborhood

Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
edited November 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
265 People Lost

I've lived in the shadows of JFK all my life.
I was at work that day, almost a month to the day of the 9-11 attacks,
and i remember the fear that I had that my loved ones, my family or my friends might be impacted.

Its hard to imagine the horror those people must have felt in the final few moments of life.

Relatively speaking- and not to disrespect any of those lost- but only 5 people on the ground died , and the rest on the airplane . This could have been far worse as far as fatalities- even tho 265 is too many already .

Its interesting that the government and the FAA has stood by their " story " of " wind-sheer " being the main cause, ( no , this has never happened before- even going back to the days this airport was named Idlewild ) . I remember at the Concert For Heores one of the angry Firefighters claiming his name , and Osama Bin Laden, " kiss my irish ass " -- and finally that he was from Rockaway Beach NYC. Seems a little fishy that this occured where and when it did- thats all I'm saying .

Remembering the victims of Flight 587 crashSix years later, victims of New York jet crash get memorial
Eyewitness News
(Queens, NY - WABC, November 12, 2007) - The six year anniversary of one of the deadliest plane crashes in U.S. history -- Flight 587.

A memorial will be held this morning in Belle Harbor, Queens, where the plane went down on that tragic day in 2001. Mayor Bloomberg is expected to attend today's ceremony for the victims at 9:00 a.m.

The memorial wall is made out of pink granite, and it has windows and doors that open out looking onto the ocean. Over that doorway there is a quote from a Dominican poet says "afterwards, I want only peace." And peace is exactly what many of the victims' families have been looking for.
Exactly six years later, the memory of the day American Airlines flight 587 plunged into a quiet neighborhood in Queens remains fresh.

On the morning of November 12th 2001, flight 587 crashed in Belle Harbor just minutes after taking off from JFK airport for a trip to the Dominican Republic.

The crash killed 260 people on board and five people on the ground. It happened just two months after the attacks on the World Trade Center.

Many of the victims lived in Washington Heights, a neighborhood rich with people of Dominican heritage.

A three year investigation by the National Transportation Safety Board found that the tail of the Airbus A300 fell off shortly after take-off. They also blame inadequate pilot training and overly sensitive rudder controls.

That memorial wall has the victims' names graved on it and family members will be reading aloud their names.

video:

Remembering Flight 587 crash
For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
platessmall.jpg
ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
http://www.UNOS.org
Donate Organs and Save a Life
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    Not sure what to believe about this, but I did see a special a couple of years ago that dealt specifically with this crash. Everything seemed to line up with what the official report said (including conversation in the cockpit). An interesting sidenote, after the live statement by the firefighter's call out to Osama it was edited from all other perfomances including DVD, CD, MSG channel's remember the concert, etc.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,768
    I remember that very well. Very sad indeed.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,250
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    265 People Lost

I've lived in the shadows of JFK all my life.
    I was at work that day, almost a month to the day of the 9-11 attacks,
    and i remember the fear that I had that my loved ones, my family or my friends might be impacted.

Its hard to imagine the horror those people must have felt in the final few moments of life.

Relatively speaking- and not to disrespect any of those lost- but only 5 people on the ground died , and the rest on the airplane . This could have been far worse as far as fatalities- even tho 265 is too many already .

Its interesting that the government and the FAA has stood by their " story " of " wind-sheer " being the main cause, ( no , this has never happened before- even going back to the days this airport was named Idlewild ) . I remember at the Concert For Heores one of the angry Firefighters claiming his name , and Osama Bin Laden, " kiss my irish ass " -- and finally that he was from Rockaway Beach NYC. Seems a little fishy that this occured where and when it did- thats all I'm saying .

video:

Remembering Flight 587 crash

yeah i remember that day clearly i was at the ORLANDO AIRPORT waiting to board a flight with my family, needless to say we could not get a flight to here at all had to be diverted to philly and then flew to long island ,that sucked specially walking into the orlando airport and seeing cnn with the story blaring about the crash in QUEENS talk about nerves in my throat i started drinking immediatly .......
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    I remember all of that too Bath
    hard to believe it's been 6 yrs.
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • I was in the city, right around the corner from Ground Zero when that happened. I was on Wall Street, in a Series 7 Training Class. That was a very bizarre day, as nobody knew what to make of what happened.
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    im in long beach now bathy

i was thinking of that this morning

crazy day
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    mookie9999 wrote:
    An interesting sidenote, after the live statement by the firefighter's call out to Osama it was edited from all other perfomances including DVD, CD, MSG channel's remember the concert, etc.

i didnt realize this, makes it even more bizarre.

I have the original recording, from the original live broadcast, maybe this needs to be put up onto Youtube.
    platessmall.jpg
  • edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    apparently someone in my family knows of someone in the armed forces who now resides in a mental health facility who claims he was the guy who accidentally shot off something from the army base (in LI I think) that took that plane down - gov't denied it. It was so long ago I do not remember all the details but I remember hearing that. so sad.
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    i didnt realize this, makes it even more bizarre.

I have the original recording, from the original live broadcast, maybe this needs to be put up onto Youtube.

I've never done a search on Youtube for it, but would like to see it again. I remember watching the show and the only chill sent down my spine bigger than seeing the Who, was when the fire chief made that comment. I remember after the plane crash Howard Stern talking about the comment and playing it over the radio. That's the last time I heard it.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    apparently someone in my family knows of someone in the armed forces who now resides in a mental health facility who claims he was the guy who accidentally shot off something from the army base (in LI I think) that took that plane down - gov't denied it. It was so long ago I do not remember all the details but I remember hearing that. so sad.

really? wow crazy

havent heard that theory, ( there arent any active army bases for a good many miles- unless you mean the old Floyd Bennet Field ) which is on the northwestern , Brooklyn side of Jamaica Bay .

but I have heard that rocket launchers could easily be thrown overboard a dingy boat in the massive Jamaica Bay, and that numerous eyewitness accounts mentioned a red flare hitting the tail before it fell to Jamaica Bay , and the fusilage of the plane into the neighborhood in the form of a fireball.
    platessmall.jpg
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    really? wow crazy

oh actually it is coming back to me....my ex husband knows this guy's brother in law. so yeah from what i remember i think he was in a submarine and the lock malfunctioned and they shot off a missle or something....that's the story i heard, not sure whether it is true. wouldn't be shocked.
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    havent heard that theory, ( there arent any active army bases for a good many miles- unless you mean the old Floyd Bennet Field ) which is on the northwestern , Brooklyn side of Jamaica Bay .

but I have heard that rocket launchers could easily be thrown overboard a dingy boat in the massive Jamaica Bay, and that numerous eyewitness accounts mentioned a red flare hitting the tail before it fell to Jamaica Bay , and the fusilage of the plane into the neighborhood in the form of a fireball.

not sure of the exact details, but something of that sort...
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    A, sorry you have been so affected by this. I remember this like it was yesterday. It is also the main reason why I have an irrational fear of planes being shot down everytime I drive by an airport.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Atomic PunkAtomic Punk Posts: 2,941
    I remember it well also. I was on vacation in Florida and I woke up that morning and flipped on the TV. They were talking about a plane crash and I immediately assumed it had something to do with 9/11. Obviously, in about 30 seconds, I realized it was something that had just happened.

I postponed my trip to Florida about 6 weeks because of 9/11 and not wanting to fly so soon afterward, then I saw this while I was away and was very seriously considering renting a car and driving back to NJ.
  • csavcsav Posts: 18
    Your talking about two different events....I think you mean the TWA crash in 96 off of Long Island...witnesses there said they saw a rocket hit the plane.

As for the crash in 01, the pilot hit wind sheer created from another plane in front of him causing his plane to roll to one side. To correct this, the pilot used the rudder pedals instead of the ailerons...there was too much force on the rudder and it snapped off....making the plane uncontrollable. Sad story.
    csav wrote:
    Your talking about two different events....I think you mean the TWA crash in 96 off of Long Island...witnesses there said they saw a rocket hit the plane.

As for the crash in 01, the pilot hit wind sheer created from another plane in front of him causing his plane to roll to one side. To correct this, the pilot used the rudder pedals instead of the ailerons...there was too much force on the rudder and it snapped off....making the plane uncontrollable. Sad story.

i live here- im not talking about 2 different events.

and that windsheer theory ?

suuuuuuure , thats how it happened .

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

http://www.rense.com/general17/terrcc.htm

http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/...7/200515.shtml

http://www.geocities.com/mknemesis/airbus.html

http://admiralkimmel.netfirms.com/Flight93/Fl587.htm

http://www.brojon.org/frontpage/bj111501.html

http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/html/in...587/index.html
    platessmall.jpg