Options

Airline passenger told to conceal T-shirt

MrBrianMrBrian Posts: 2,673
edited September 2006 in A Moving Train
Human rights activist was briefly barred from JetBlue flight in Oakland

NEW YORK - An Arab human rights activist was prevented from boarding a plane at Kennedy Airport while wearing a T-shirt that read, “We will not be silent,” in English and Arabic.

Raed Jarrar was at the gate to board a JetBlue Airways flight to Oakland, Calif., on Aug. 12 when four officials from the airline or a government agency stopped him and told him he could not board with the shirt on, he said Wednesday.

One official told him, “Going to an airport with a T-shirt in Arabic script is like going to a bank and wearing a T-shirt that says, ‘I’m a robber,”’ he said.

The thing is, after they searched his records, searched his bags, body and saw that he was not a threat, they let him fly but made him take the shirt off, now where is this freedom of press/speech we hear of?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14591252/
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    People are scared of a fucking t shirt, that's all it really is, whenever I wear my pearj jam "get right t shirt I get dirty looks, funny think is that it's not even arabic, it's just in an arabic style font and say's "get right" (it's been some time since I've worn it but I think that's what it say's)

They'd probably make me take it off If I was in the airport with it.
  • Options
    MrBrian wrote:
    People are scared of a fucking t shirt, that's all it really is, whenever I wear my pearj jam "get right t shirt I get dirty looks, funny think is that it's not even arabic, it's just in an arabic style font and say's "get right" (it's been some time since I've worn it but I think that's what it say's)

They'd probably make me take it off If I was in the airport with it.

i don't think anybody gets scared of your PJ t-shirt, do you have other behaviors that others would find strange?

also, not sure what this has to do with freedom of the press.
  • Options
    i don't think anybody gets scared of your PJ t-shirt, do you have other behaviors that others would find strange?

also, not sure what this has to do with freedom of the press.

other behaviors? yeah I walk with my fucking balls hanging out and scream for no reason.
    I've had people comment on my shirt, in very negative ways, also I was reffering to people being scared of the guy in the airports t shirt. I mean they did make him take it off.

people should not have to take down or not say things because others take offense to it, freedom of speech yeah. sure a limit does exist but people being scared because of a t shirt is just stupid. It's not like it even said anything offensive

do you agree with them asking for him to remove the shirt even after they cleared him and noted that he was not a threat?
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i have a tshirt that has amongst other languages, a phrase in arabic. when i wear it(which isn't that often i must admit), the arab kids in the neighbourhood stop me so they can read what it says.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    MrBrian wrote:
    do you agree with them asking for him to remove the shirt even after they cleared him and noted that he was not a threat?

personally, i would not care if he wore the shirt. even though i would have no idea what it said. BUT, the flight crew has the final say on what is permitted on their flight. in this case, it is unknown who told him he couldn't wear it. "four officials from the airline or a government agency" could be anybody. i used to be in management with Delta Airlines, and i can assure you that there have been far more innocent shirts that have not been allowed.
  • Options
    personally, i would not care if he wore the shirt. even though i would have no idea what it said. BUT, the flight crew has the final say on what is permitted on their flight. in this case, it is unknown who told him he couldn't wear it. "four officials from the airline or a government agency" could be anybody. i used to be in management with Delta Airlines, and i can assure you that there have been far more innocent shirts that have not been allowed.

it was written in both english and arabic, so it had the translation.

I mean I understand who has the final say, I just find it sad that something as small as a few words in another language is such a big issue. That's my problem.

as you say, "far more innocent shirts that have not been allowed". Just very stupid and a waste of time, that's all,
  • Options
    mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    dude I have a friend who is middle eastern and I kept telling her to get shirts that say things like "I have a pilots liscence" or I hate freedom and shit like that, imagine how much problems that would cause in teh states?
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Options
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    dude I have a friend who is middle eastern and I kept telling her to get shirts that say things like "I have a pilots liscence" or I hate freedom and shit like that, imagine how much problems that would cause in teh states?

the "pilots license" shirt would be total jokes, very funny, but it would get her a visit from homeland security or just beat up. depending on what state shes in.
  • Options
    MrBrian wrote:
    Human rights activist was briefly barred from JetBlue flight in Oakland

NEW YORK - An Arab human rights activist was prevented from boarding a plane at Kennedy Airport while wearing a T-shirt that read, “We will not be silent,” in English and Arabic.

Raed Jarrar was at the gate to board a JetBlue Airways flight to Oakland, Calif., on Aug. 12 when four officials from the airline or a government agency stopped him and told him he could not board with the shirt on, he said Wednesday.

One official told him, “Going to an airport with a T-shirt in Arabic script is like going to a bank and wearing a T-shirt that says, ‘I’m a robber,”’ he said.

The thing is, after they searched his records, searched his bags, body and saw that he was not a threat, they let him fly but made him take the shirt off, now where is this freedom of press/speech we hear of?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14591252/

I have this shirt. This is unbelievable, but unfortunately, not surprising. Just as Bush is calling others fascists we have people being forced to change their clothing. I just had a horrible time at a major US airport and they are profiling those of Mid-eastern descent. I keep watching news stories, they have polls, "do you think US airports should start profiling?" I was held with about 40 other people for questioning, all Arabs, not a white person or non-arab among us...Then I just saw this pbs program on McCarthyism and I just have a feeling that Americans will look back at this time in disgust, but there is no one else to blame but ourselves.
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    Freedom of speech is for white people who speak American, silly brown people.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    "American tanks are run on the blood of brown people"
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    we all know words kill...they are to blame for all the bad news coming out of Irak...perhaps if we didn't have words, the world would be a better place...
  • Options
    purrmo wrote:
    I have this shirt. This is unbelievable, but unfortunately, not surprising. Just as Bush is calling others fascists we have people being forced to change their clothing. I just had a horrible time at a major US airport and they are profiling those of Mid-eastern descent. I keep watching news stories, they have polls, "do you think US airports should start profiling?" I was held with about 40 other people for questioning, all Arabs, not a white person or non-arab among us...Then I just saw this pbs program on McCarthyism and I just have a feeling that Americans will look back at this time in disgust, but there is no one else to blame but ourselves.

sorry for your delay, but people that apparently look like you have sworn to kill us and love to blow up themselves on airplanes..deal with it. if a bunch of fat white guys start blowing shit up, i would expect to be delayed a little myself.
  • Options
    sorry for your delay, but people that apparently look like you have sworn to kill us and love to blow up themselves on airplanes..deal with it. if a bunch of fat white guys start blowing shit up, i would expect to be delayed a little myself.

I guess that is why not too many Yanks fly to middle eastern destinations feeling safe if they go at all. Nothing like being a representative of your government!
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    definition of freedom in america = the ability to buy a big mac and SUV
  • Options
    darkcrowdarkcrow Posts: 1,102
    unfortunatly this is nothing new. a week or so ago 2 asian men were forced off a plane bound to england becase passangers didnt want to travel with brown people. even though the two men passed through rigerious security checks the airline bowed to racism and asked armed police to take them off the plane. the two men didnt put up a fight, they registered their protest and walked off peacfully.
  • Options
    darkcrow wrote:
    unfortunatly this is nothing new. a week or so ago 2 asian men were forced off a plane bound to england becase passangers didnt want to travel with brown people. even though the two men passed through rigerious security checks the airline bowed to racism and asked armed police to take them off the plane. the two men didnt put up a fight, they registered their protest and walked off peacfully.

got a link?
  • Options
    NMyTreeNMyTree Posts: 2,412
    This t-shirt thing is absolutely ridiculous! Welcome to the Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld Gestapo ( Einsatzgruppen )!

The rest of this thread is hilarious.

Apparently, Arabs/Muslims are just like every other group of human beings on the planet- they don't like being done to them, what they have been doing to others, for thousands of years.

Wonder what group of human beings will learn their lesson, first?

My money is on............none of them.
  • Options
    darkcrow wrote:
    . a week or so ago 2 asian men were forced off a plane bound to england becase passangers didnt want to travel with brown people. even though the two men passed through rigerious security checks the airline bowed to racism and asked armed police to take them off the plane. the two men didnt put up a fight, they registered their protest and walked off peacfully.

you greatly misrepresented the published report. according to other passengers, they were acting suspicious. not saying its right by any means, but its certainly understandable.
  • Options
    If someone with arabic writing got on a plane I was on, I admit I would be very unsure, but that isnt a reason to turf him off. They should have just been very cautious as to what he was carrying etc.
    no matter where you go,
    there you are.

- brain of c
  • Options
    darkcrow wrote:

This is what happens when everyone practices intolorence and hate.

Muslims are intolerant of non-believers and attempt to force-feed their Islamic-driven agenda, where ever they go.

America does the same with their Christian/Capitalist/" Democracy " agenda.

Everyone else is doing the same with their own respective agendas.

Then people wonder why the world is a freakin' trainwreck of humanity.

Shocking, is it not?
  • Options
    darkcrowdarkcrow Posts: 1,102
    you greatly misrepresented the published report. according to other passengers, they were acting suspicious. not saying its right by any means, but its certainly understandable.

follow up reports say that actually the guys did nothing wrong and nothing "suspiciouse".
  • Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    It's unclear if the govt or private company squashed him. Govt, sure that's problematic.
    Business, don't fly them, don't buy their stock, but get over it. They're running the business, not you. Sure, discrimination laws and what not, but the good ol' right to refuse service should also probably apply....

As for the "got it comin to theme" meme, oh ya, chicken and the egg.
    They'll be less intolerant if we are tolerant of them? Promise?
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    as wrong as it is to harass someone for merely having Arabic on a t-shirt, money spanker also has a point ... The threat of terrorism has created this state of affairs, and I am not sure that its fair to call it racism. Misguided paranoia might be a better term ... Security precautions are needed, but sometimes they get taken too far.
  • Options
    On my next flight to the US I am going to wear my shirt with The Bin Man hanging from a noose with his feet off of the ground. If they don't tell me to take it off, I am going to scream reverse profiling.
  • Options
    even flow? wrote:
    On my next flight to the US I am going to wear my shirt with The Bin Man hanging from a noose with his feet off of the ground. If they don't tell me to take it off, I am going to scream reverse profiling.

Heck, if I worked at the airline, I'd put you in first class.
    ;)
  • Options
    Did you know credit card companies and other financial lenders profile people, all over the world, every day?

Shall we bomb them?
  • Options
    RainDogRainDog Posts: 1,831
    NMyTree wrote:
    Did you know credit card companies and other financial lenders profile people, all over the world, every day?

Shall we bomb them?
    Hell Yeah!! Debt record at zero, baby!

Oh, shit. I'm not supposed to talk about Project Mayhem. I broke the first rule!
  • Options
    RainDog wrote:
    Hell Yeah!! Debt record at zero, baby!

Oh, shit. I'm not supposed to talk about Project Mayhem. I broke the first rule!

Classic ...
    :)