Options

This Elephant was an asshole!

2»

Comments

• Options
    rightonduderightondude Posts: 745
    me thinks Kenny is Konfused
  • Options
    http://www.hsus.org/wildlife/wildlife_news/detroit_zoo_sends_its_elephants_packing_should_others_follow_suit.html

Originally the AZA tried to Force Detroit to send them to the Columbus Ohio Zoo- which really was not much better than the Detroit Zoo... and then the AZA caved using the excuse they were "not suitable for breeding" and allowed them to go to the elephant sanctuary.

The detroit zoo is the first zoo to voluntarily give up its elephants for purely ethical reasons.
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    For a much happier Elephant Story, do a search for Wanda and Winky...

the jist of it is, the CEO of the Detroit Zoo thought the enclosure was too small, so at great expense (and at the risk of losing their zoological socity accreditadation) they found an elephant sanctuary and had it transported across the country.

here's a brief story about it...

http://detroit.about.com/b/a/130385.htm

beautiful!
    *wipes tear*
    what is best for the animal...just as it should be. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    For a much happier Elephant Story, do a search for Wanda and Winky...

the jist of it is, the CEO of the Detroit Zoo thought the enclosure was too small, so at great expense (and at the risk of losing their zoological socity accreditadation) they found an elephant sanctuary and had it transported across the country.

here's a brief story about it...

http://detroit.about.com/b/a/130385.htm

Interesting. In my opinion one elephant is worth at least 1000 people. I value animals over most humans.

Most of the human race is just pathetic...
  • Options
    beautiful!
    *wipes tear*
    what is best for the animal...just as it should be. :)

Thats why my wife an I are members at the Detroit Zoo.

Its a great zoo.. and you cant come anywhere near most of the animals. No elaborate "as we walk through the plains" style tours. No glass to tap on next to the head of a tiger.. .mostly just an enclosure with trees, tunnels and a pond, and a giant moat so they cant escape.
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    Interesting. In my opinion one elephant is worth at least 1000 people. I value animals over most humans.

Most of the human race is just pathetic...

you sound like my husband. :p

Its a great zoo.. and you cant come anywhere near most of the animals. No elaborate "as we walk through the plains" style tours. No glass to tap on next to the head of a tiger.. .mostly just an enclosure with trees, tunnels and a pond, and a giant moat so they cant escape.

sounds like a great zoo! :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    69charger wrote:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060722/ap_on_re_us/elephant_attack

I knew this Elephant when it was at the Vilas Zoo in Madison. It would go nuts if you clapped your hands. I remember a drunk guy kept clapping his hands and moving to various parts of the enclosure and the Elephant was charging the moat and throwing dirt at everyone. It tried throwing a tire across but it was too big. The other Elephants were cool, this one was a prick.

If I was there and saw that drunk clapping dude, I'd walk over and punch that fucker square in the head.
  • Options
    PaperPlatesPaperPlates Posts: 1,745
    If I was there and saw that drunk clapping dude, I'd walk over and punch that fucker square in the head.

I thought you were against violence to solve a problem. ;)
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    69charger69charger Posts: 1,045

It was funny at first. But then it got to the point where the Elephant was clearly not having fun anymore.

Somehow I doubt you would have walked up to that particular drunk dude. He looked like he could have probably taken Winky in a fight.

;)
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326

Detroit does have a beautiful zoo. We drove up to Royal Oak last summer to see Ben Harper, and the next day on the way home we stopped at the zoo. I'm not a big fan of zoos, but I was impressed, it's the nicest one I've seen.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    kidapollokidapollo Posts: 75
    They should let that Dog Whiperer fella have a shot at turning that asshole elephant around. I watched him mindfuck a savage pitbull into domesticity today. He'll have that shitty elephant riding a little bike again in no time.
    I MET SIR MIKE F'N McCREADY!!!!!!!!
    (Added to my sig as per SENROCK'S suggestion)

"No time to be void, or save up on life ... you got to spend it all."

*Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member #0020

Last Exit: Pittsburgh
    Next Stop: ???
  • Options
    I thought you were against violence to solve a problem. ;)

I am. Perfect I am not ;)
  • Options
    kidapollo wrote:
    They should let that Dog Whiperer fella have a shot at turning that asshole elephant around. I watched him mindfuck a savage pitbull into domesticity today. He'll have that shitty elephant riding a little bike again in no time.

Yeah chuck that drunk "elephant whisperer" dude in the pen...lol...let him have a good rip at it. :D

Now that would be worth the price of admission. hehe.
  • Options
    RushlimboRushlimbo Posts: 832
    69charger wrote:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060722/ap_on_re_us/elephant_attack

I knew this Elephant when it was at the Vilas Zoo in Madison. It would go nuts if you clapped your hands. I remember a drunk guy kept clapping his hands and moving to various parts of the enclosure and the Elephant was charging the moat and throwing dirt at everyone. It tried throwing a tire across but it was too big. The other Elephants were cool, this one was a prick.

I think you need to point a finger at yourself and rename this thread. Your blindness makes me laugh.
    War is Peace
    Freedom is Slavery
    Ignorance is Strength
  • Options
    Rushlimbo wrote:
    I think you need to point a finger at yourself and rename this thread. Your blindness makes me laugh.

naw, he aint that bad... It's a contribution, and a worthwhile discussion.
  • Options
    RushlimboRushlimbo Posts: 832
    naw, he aint that bad... It's a contribution, and a worthwhile discussion.

I agree it is a worthwhile discussion. Calling a caged wild animal an asshole for not liking the situation is beyond me. Pretty typical for him actually.
    War is Peace
    Freedom is Slavery
    Ignorance is Strength
  • Options
    Rushlimbo wrote:
    I agree it is a worthwhile discussion. Calling a caged wild animal an asshole for not liking the situation is beyond me. Pretty typical for him actually.

hehe... yeah I hear ya. It's just Charger's style. I don't think he's a bad guy though. Think of it like a mini middle east :D
  • Options
    sourdoughsourdough Posts: 579
    For those still in favour of relocating, we still haven't decided on who is willing to foot the bill and how much budget should be spent on relocating a single animal, when the money could be much more efficiently spent on other measures like wildlife conservation or wilderness protection that could be result in the benefit of many elephants and other animals. Secondly, no one has addressed the inevitable problems of introducing an animal that is aggressive towards humans and does not fear them. It will most certainly cross paths with human settlements. Thirdly, relocating an elephant from Burma to Africa is a bad idea because Burma=Jungle, Africa=Savannah. Different diets, different terrain, different vegetation. It may not be able so adequately have its dietary requirements met with a wrong diet and may not be able to efficiently extract enough nutrients. Can anyone point to a single case study where a foreign species has been successfully integrated into a different ecosystem? People claim it has been done, but can anyone be specific? For the record there is already an elephant cull in certain places in africa due to an overabundance of elephants as it is so maybe convincing a country to take one back may not go over well.
  • Options
    Rushlimbo wrote:

This animal threw dirt at me and I did nothing to it to deserve it's wrath. It went on to kill a person trying to help it in an extremely humane sanctuary.

I repeat: THIS ELEPHANT IS AN ASSHOLE!

:D

Winky better hope we never cross paths again! That bitch is getting a fist full of dirt thrown at her!
  • Options
    Being the second longest living mammal after humans, I wonder if female elephants PMS as well?

They might want to post a visitation schedule by the exhibit! :D
  • Options
    boxwine_in_hellboxwine_in_hell Posts: 1,263
    baraka wrote:
    Yeah, no doubt! A lot of these poor elephants have been abused in the past, it's no suprise that it's aggressive. This is not a new thing with elephants. Eventually a lot of them 'snap' and turn violent, even against those trying to help and take care of it. Wild animals are just that, wild. I guess when someone's pet tiger freaks out and mauls him, it is an asshole too. I remember reading about some guy's 'pet' python wraping around his neck and choking him to death in front of on-lookers. Asshole snake.

Just like Sigfreid and Roy's tiger. He was a real asshole....lol.

Roy, the other white meat.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • Options

Roy, the other white meat.

bwaaaa! That's the funniest thing I've seen all day.
  • Options
    barakabaraka Posts: 1,268
    69charger wrote:
    This animal threw dirt at me and I did nothing to it to deserve it's wrath.

Ha ha. Are you sure you never did anything to this elephant? You know, an elephant never forgets................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iZHndIfI94&search=%20elephants%20never%20forget
    The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance,
    but the illusion of knowledge.
    ~Daniel Boorstin

Only a life lived for others is worth living.
    ~Albert Einstein
  • Options
    baraka wrote:
    You know, an elephant never forgets................

Neither do I!

That dirty whore Winky's getting a face full of dirt :D