Options

This Elephant was an asshole!

69charger69charger Posts: 1,045
edited July 2006 in A Moving Train
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060722/ap_on_re_us/elephant_attack

I knew this Elephant when it was at the Vilas Zoo in Madison. It would go nuts if you clapped your hands. I remember a drunk guy kept clapping his hands and moving to various parts of the enclosure and the Elephant was charging the moat and throwing dirt at everyone. It tried throwing a tire across but it was too big. The other Elephants were cool, this one was a prick.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    rightonduderightondude Posts: 745
    If they euthanize it, that's fucked. I say release the damn thing back into the wild... that's probably why it's pissed. Probably wants to get laid, or it has a bad tooth, or it's ill, etc...

Also it's probably a lot smarter than we realize. Hell if they can train them as well as they do it's definitely has some mind of it's own... they do mourn their dead afterall, and talk a lot to each other in the inaudible range
  • Options
    LeilaMoonTurtleLeilaMoonTurtle Posts: 1,422
    completely agree!

If they euthanize it, that's fucked. I say release the damn thing back into the wild... that's probably why it's pissed. Probably wants to get laid, or it has a bad tooth, or it's ill, etc...

Also it's probably a lot smarter than we realize. Hell if they can train them as well as they do it's definitely has some mind of it's own... they mourn their dead afterall
  • Options
    sourdoughsourdough Posts: 579
    You can't just release an animal that has been in captivity for 30 years. Its a bit more complicated than that.
  • Options
    cornnifercornnifer Posts: 2,130
    69charger wrote:

I knew this Elephant when it was at the Vilas Zoo in Madison. It would go nuts if you clapped your hands. I remember a drunk guy kept clapping his hands and moving to various parts of the enclosure and the Elephant was charging the moat and throwing dirt at everyone. It tried throwing a tire across but it was too big. The other Elephants were cool, this one was a prick.

An animal such as an elephant, held captive in a very confined space, so that we might gawk and throw popcorn while some drunk bastard claps his hands in an obvious attempt to taunt and torment her/him, and, the elephant is an asshole?
    "When all your friends and sedatives mean well but make it worse... better find yourself a place to level out."
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    sourdough wrote:
    You can't just release an animal that has been in captivity for 30 years. Its a bit more complicated than that.

That is exactly the problem ... Such an animal probably would not make it in the wild. Of course, not making it in the wild and euthanasia wind up at the very same place, so ...
  • Options
    sourdough wrote:

No kidding, but you know what I mean...(I hope)

With radio tracking for a few months, yes, in a controlled reserve in Africa yes they can.

Also they are herbavores....they don't hunt. Do they somehow forget how to chew food outside of the zoo?
  • Options
    I would choose the Euthanasia option if I had to choose. Firstly, its going to be much more traumatic to the elephant emotionally, physically and mentally to be sedated, shoved in a tiny cage, airlifted to Myanmar on a 12 hour flight. This doesn't even address who wants to pick up the bill. Once it is released (if it is alive) then you have to think about the reprocussions it will have on the environment and on teh native people who now have a pissed off elephant who is no longer scared of humans. Lastly, elephants are social animals, so its cruel to abandon him as well without socializing him with others. Release is such a bad idea.
  • Options
    sourdough wrote:
    I would choose the Euthanasia option if I had to choose. Firstly, its going to be much more traumatic to the elephant emotionally, physically and mentally to be sedated, shoved in a tiny cage, airlifted to Myanmar on a 12 hour flight. This doesn't even address who wants to pick up the bill. Once it is released (if it is alive) then you have to think about the reprocussions it will have on the environment and on teh native people who now have a pissed off elephant who is no longer scared of humans. Lastly, elephants are social animals, so its cruel to abandon him as well without socializing him with others. Release is such a bad idea.

Good points ...
  • Options
    That is exactly the problem ... Such an animal probably would not make it in the wild. Of course, not making it in the wild and euthanasia wind up at the very same place, so ...

wrong...wrong... What the fuck (animal) is going to attack an elephant?

you're kidding right?
  • Options
    barakabaraka Posts: 1,268
    cornnifer wrote:
    An animal such as an elephant, held captive in a very confined space, so that we might gawk and throw popcorn while some drunk bastard claps his hands in an obvious attempt to taunt and torment her/him, and, the elephant is an asshole?

Yeah, no doubt! A lot of these poor elephants have been abused in the past, it's no suprise that it's aggressive. This is not a new thing with elephants. Eventually a lot of them 'snap' and turn violent, even against those trying to help and take care of it. Wild animals are just that, wild. I guess when someone's pet tiger freaks out and mauls him, it is an asshole too. I remember reading about some guy's 'pet' python wraping around his neck and choking him to death in front of on-lookers. Asshole snake.
    The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance,
    but the illusion of knowledge.
    ~Daniel Boorstin

Only a life lived for others is worth living.
    ~Albert Einstein
  • Options

you're kidding right?

Actually most elephants and other large mature animals die from starvation or disease. I'm assuming that this elephant is very old. 30 years in captivity, how old was it when captured? This is very old for a large mammal to cope in the wild. Furthermore, it doesn't know the terrain and jungles in Myanmar are not easy to navigate I'm assuming.

And you cannot release it into Africa. It is a different subspecies and you would be introducing genes not native to the continent.
  • Options

you're kidding right?

Elephants have few natural predators, I agree. Not what I meant ... Stress associated with an unfamiliar environment is probably the biggest problem.
  • Options
    sourdough wrote:

That's a weak opinion dude. elephants are smarter than you think man. I got that right away, just from beholding the creature. They actually get bored in zoo's.

"Nandipa (16 year old female) was released in September 2003 and is surprising us all with how quickly she is adapting."

read this:
    http://www.abucamp.com/resrch.html

released elephants success stories:
    http://www.abucamp.com/elep2.html
  • Options
    Elephants have few natural predators, I agree. Not what I meant ... Stress associated with an unfamiliar environment is probably the biggest problem.

Yeah, age could pose a problem, however it's middle aged, and I give these beasts huge credit to adapt. They've been doing it for hundres of millions of years. The survival instinct is strong.

I think the thing is actually going stir crazy and speaking out. I think he knows what he is doing and voicing miscontent for his circumstance(s).
  • Options
    sourdough wrote:
    Actually most elephants and other large mature animals die from starvation or disease. I'm assuming that this elephant is very old. 30 years in captivity, how old was it when captured? This is very old for a large mammal to cope in the wild. Furthermore, it doesn't know the terrain and jungles in Myanmar are not easy to navigate I'm assuming.

And you cannot release it into Africa. It is a different subspecies and you would be introducing genes not native to the continent.

What I'm saying is that it can be done and is being done...

Elephants live almost along as humans 60-70 years. The last of our worries is this thing breeds sucessfully. Also it could be have it's tube's tied if necessary. However that definitely isn't a problem

These things are going extinct if you haven't noticed.
  • Options
    NMyTreeNMyTree Posts: 2,412
    69charger wrote:

Is she a Muslim elephant?

Hard to believe an intelligent animal like an elephant wouldn't appreciate being captured, hauled around the globe, imprisoned, poked and jabbed with sticks, electricuted and expected to entertain some human beings.

Damn, Ungrateful Muslim Elephant!!!
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    cornnifer wrote:
    Exactly!!!
    sourdough wrote:
    Sadly, I agree with this. Even if there is a program in Burma to reintroduce elephants into the wild, an angry elephant with no fear of humans, and accustomed to looking to humans for food, is a recipe for disaster. The poor thing is probably insane from years of abuse and confinement in a non-stimulating environment.

Such a sad story ... I feel terrible about the handler who died. The Elephant Sanctuary is one of my favorite charities and one of the all-time great animal welfare organizations, it's horrible that this tragedy happened there of all places, taking the life of someone who was so devoted to these animals.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,816
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    The title led me to believe that this thread was about Republicans.
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    The title led me to believe that this thread was about Republicans.
    Haha!!! That's what I thought too :D
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    fucking liberals.........

hiya hippie!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:

...and upon reading it, I find out it's about an actual elephant. Damn.

Now I want to watch Operation: Dumbo Drop, starring Ray Liotta and Danny Glover.
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
  • Options
    ...and upon reading it, I find out it's about an actual elephant. Damn.

Now I want to watch Operation: Dumbo Drop, starring Ray Liotta and Danny Glover.
    operation dumbo drop???

isnt that when the dems announce Hillary as their candidate????
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    It took 20 posts for this thread to (sorta) justify its existance on A Moving Train.
  • Options
    AllNiteThingAllNiteThing Posts: 1,114
    Why do people feel the need to play 'god'? Does this thing not deserve life, as the rest of us? And a decent one at that - away from confinement and ridicule.

Seeing the relative poor state of the elephant population in this world, everything and I mean EVERYTHING should be done to release this animal into the wild, over euthanasia. What makes you people think you know how this animal would want to die? You say euthanasia is so much more humane. Bullshit. At least give it a chance to live some sliver of its existence in the habitat it has been evolved to adapt to. Just because it's lived in a concrete box for decades doesn't mean we can decide it can't live anywhere else. Sure, previous animals released may have died from such and such a cause, but like I said, who are WE to play 'god'???? Don't get me started on 'they are not native' to such and such a region. First, pretty soon they won't be native ANYWHERE, and second, then just release it where it is native. Stop the excuses.

After all we've done to exploit its existence, I say give it a chance.
    24 years old, mid-life crisis
    nowadays hits you when you're young
  • Options
    Bu2Bu2 Posts: 1,693
    And I thought this thread was written by a chick who used to be a Republican.

Hmp.

I guess I'm the only one?
    Feels Good Inc.
  • Options
    Why do people feel the need to play 'god'? Does this thing not deserve life, as the rest of us? And a decent one at that - away from confinement and ridicule.

Seeing the relative poor state of the elephant population in this world, everything and I mean EVERYTHING should be done to release this animal into the wild, over euthanasia. What makes you people think you know how this animal would want to die? You say euthanasia is so much more humane. Bullshit. At least give it a chance to live some sliver of its existence in the habitat it has been evolved to adapt to.

After all we've done to exploit its existence, I say give it a chance.

It has, and is, being done, and it's working, and I posted links to the examples of...

I just can't stand the mentality of hmm it's broken...oh well kill it then. Serve it death promptly. Fucking retarded thought process that is.

Then I wonder why we're tits deep in a bloody, senseless war right now...

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    take away ones 'purpose' in living...and one will slowly go mad. so is the same with animals in captivity. what a shame.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    It took 20 posts for this thread to (sorta) justify its existance on A Moving Train.

huh?
    :confused:

A Moving Train Politics, current events - reasoned debate and discussion - we can all learn something new.

beyond politics, i think this thread subject fits ALL of the other, above listed criteria for this forum...unless i am missing something?
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    For a much happier Elephant Story, do a search for Wanda and Winky...

the jist of it is, the CEO of the Detroit Zoo thought the enclosure was too small, so at great expense (and at the risk of losing their zoological socity accreditadation) they found an elephant sanctuary and had it transported across the country.

here's a brief story about it...

http://detroit.about.com/b/a/130385.htm