House votes to overturn mandatory gun locks

blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
edited June 2006 in A Moving Train
This boggles my mind... I understand that most gun control laws don't work, but really, who can argue that these locks don't help? A kid finds a gun that isn't locked, there is a slim chance that he/she could fire it... if a kid finds a gun with a trigger lock, there is no way possible to fire it. And the arguement that the cost is passed on to the customer???? They cost like $7 retail. And today the house will spend most of the day talking about the New York Times... I want my government back.


House votes to overturn mandatory gun locks

Wed Jun 28, 11:15 PM ET

The U.S. House of Representatives voted on Wednesday to overturn a recently enacted law requiring safety trigger locks on all hand guns sold in the United States.

The Republican-controlled House handed a victory to opponents of gun control by a vote of 230-191.

Rep. Marilyn Musgrave (news, bio, voting record), a Colorado Republican, argued that the added cost of the trigger locks is passed on to gun owners and that they "do not stop accidental shootings."

Last fall, President George W. Bush signed legislation giving gun makers broad protections from civil lawsuits, but that law contained the mandatory trigger lock provision.

The amendment overturning the requirement for trigger locks was attached to a larger law enforcement spending bill for next year that has not yet been considered by the Senate.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060629/pl_nm/congress_guns_dc_1
My whole life
was like a picture
of a sunny day
“We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
― Abraham Lincoln
Post edited by Unknown User on
«1

Comments

  • chopitdownchopitdown Posts: 2,222
    i'd like to know if the gun locks do indeed work to prevent the accidental shootings...only b/c the one representative made that claim...I'd like to see where she got that information.

    I'm all for gun ownership but i think that anything we can do to keep accidental firearm discharge from occurring is a good thing.
    make sure the fortune that you seek...is the fortune that you need
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    chopitdown wrote:
    i'd like to know if the gun locks do indeed work to prevent the accidental shootings...only b/c the one representative made that claim...I'd like to see where she got that information.

    Yeah, I don't see how she could make that claim... obviously the locks don't prevent accidental shootings if they aren't on the guns, but with the different types of trigger/gun locks that I've seen, there is no way to fire a gun with them on.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • I want my government back.

    When did you ever really have it?
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    When did you ever really have it?

    Never I guess... But I would at least like to have it back to the level of hypocracy, greed and incompetence that I grew up with. :)
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Never I guess... But I would at least like to have it back to the level of hypocracy, greed and incompetence that I grew up with. :)

    That's more like it! :p
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,434
    So there will continue to be childproof bottle caps on cough medicine, but no childproofing on guns.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    Chalk this one up to the power of lobbiest. They are the one's who control our government.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,445
    JaneNY wrote:
    So there will continue to be childproof bottle caps on cough medicine, but no childproofing on guns.

    Yes. Because asprin is known to be deadlier than guns. *sarcasm*

    I realize asprin is dangerous, but come on.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • PaperPlatesPaperPlates Posts: 1,745
    Noone wants accidental discharge. :)
    Why go home

    www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • thankyougrandmathankyougrandma Posts: 1,182
    What a great decision, after all everyone (including child) need to protect themselves against... against... against, mmm... anyway everyone need to protect themselves and need to have access to a gun, fast, those locks are violating Americans rights...
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • moeaholicmoeaholic Posts: 536
    nobody is saying you can't buy trigger locks anymore. of everyone i know that owns any kind of handgun, shotgun, or rifle they all have trigger locks on them. some of these people don't have children, either. don't get me wrong, i don't think this is a good move, but i think most people are sensible enough to pick up a trigger lock whether it's required by law or not.
    "PC Load Letter?! What the fuck does that mean?"
    ~Michael Bolton
  • 69charger69charger Posts: 1,045
    Anyone who thinks this law would prevent accidental deaths is dreaming. Most people keep a firearm for personal defense. The last thing you want in a life or death situation is a lock on a firearm.

    A good law would be mandatory gun safety classes in middle school. Show kids how to check to see if a gun is loaded and how to unload it. Make firearms less taboo to kids and interest in monkeying around with guns will go down.
  • mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    69charger wrote:
    Anyone who thinks this law would prevent accidental deaths is dreaming. Most people keep a firearm for personal defense. The last thing you want in a life or death situation is a lock on a firearm.

    A good law would be mandatory gun safety classes in middle school. Show kids how to check to see if a gun is loaded and how to unload it. Make firearms less taboo to kids and interest in monkeying around with guns will go down.

    Yes lets teach kids how to properly handle fire arms but refrain from teaching them how to have safe sex.

    What would be more appropriate would be to require individual who are purchasing a weapon to attend a fire arms safety course. Teach them how to properly store aways your weapon so their kids can't get to them.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,445
    mammasan wrote:
    Yes lets teach kids how to properly handle fire arms but refrain from teaching them how to have safe sex.

    What would be more appropriate would be to require individual who are purchasing a weapon to attend a fire arms safety course. Teach them how to properly store aways your weapon so their kids can't get to them.

    The man makes a good point.

    On the other hand, sex is much more dangerous than guns!

    *sarcasm*
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • John BudgeJohn Budge Posts: 260
    69charger wrote:
    Anyone who thinks this law would prevent accidental deaths is dreaming. Most people keep a firearm for personal defense. The last thing you want in a life or death situation is a lock on a firearm.

    A good law would be mandatory gun safety classes in middle school. Show kids how to check to see if a gun is loaded and how to unload it. Make firearms less taboo to kids and interest in monkeying around with guns will go down.
    Great idea!
  • thankyougrandmathankyougrandma Posts: 1,182
    69charger wrote:
    Anyone who thinks this law would prevent accidental deaths is dreaming. Most people keep a firearm for personal defense. The last thing you want in a life or death situation is a lock on a firearm.

    A good law would be mandatory gun safety classes in middle school. Show kids how to check to see if a gun is loaded and how to unload it. Make firearms less taboo to kids and interest in monkeying around with guns will go down.

    yes, way to go, show them how to use a gun, all these criminals out there are going after their life after all, must be protected with a loaded unlocked weapon all the time, ok kids...
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    69charger wrote:
    A good law would be mandatory gun safety classes in middle school. Show kids how to check to see if a gun is loaded and how to unload it. Make firearms less taboo to kids and interest in monkeying around with guns will go down.

    Yes, because we all know that 16 year old kids that have drivers education classes don't have accidents. :rolleyes:
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • 69charger69charger Posts: 1,045
    yes, way to go, show them how to use a gun, all these criminals out there are going after their life after all, must be protected with a loaded unlocked weapon all the time, ok kids...

    Look, firearms are not going away any time soon. Let's come up with solutions that will actually do some good. This law is impotent. Locks sold with guns will not protect anyone if they are not used.

    Your argument is the equivalent of teaching 'abstinence only' and we know how effective that is.
  • 69charger69charger Posts: 1,045
    Yes, because we all know that 16 year old kids that have drivers education classes don't have accidents. :rolleyes:

    Far more accidents with cars than with firearms

    In 2000, 174 children (0-18) in the United States died from unintentional firearm-related injuries.

    In 2000, 6,466 children (0-18) in the United States were killed in motor vehicle crashes.

    Cars are 37.16 times more dangerous to children than guns.

    http://www.childdeathreview.org/
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    69charger wrote:
    Far more accidents with cars than with firearms :rolleyes:

    Exactly, and look how much education is given for driving.

    Speaking of driving, overturning this law is the same as auto makers selling cars witout seatbelts (I'm guessing there are laws about that). Of course trigger locks (and seatbelts) don't help if they are not used, but if one kid can't shoot anyone becuase the gun he picks up has a trigger lock on it, they it's a good law. If you don't want to use them, then don't but this law at least gives you a lock with your gun.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • 69charger69charger Posts: 1,045
    Exactly, and look how much education is given for driving.

    And look how little that amount of education is doing to prevent deaths!
    Speaking of driving, overturning this law is the same as auto makers selling cars witout seatbelts (I'm guessing there are laws about that). Of course trigger locks (and seatbelts) don't help if they are not used, but if one kid can't shoot anyone becuase the gun he picks up has a trigger lock on it, they it's a good law. If you don't want to use them, then don't but this law at least gives you a lock with your gun.

    You are comparing apples to oranges. Seatbelts, when properly used, do not prevent the car from functioning. Seatbelts are also not specifically designed with children in mind and can actually be more fatal to children.
  • thankyougrandmathankyougrandma Posts: 1,182
    69charger wrote:
    Look, firearms are not going away any time soon. Let's come up with solutions that will actually do some good. This law is impotent. Locks sold with guns will not protect anyone if they are not used.

    Your argument is the equivalent of teaching 'abstinence only' and we know how effective that is.

    No it's not, they tell you not to take drugs before you get to high school because they say it's bad for you, i have yet to find a school in the world that actually make you try these drugs.

    As a solution, change your constitution, first, as a statement to take away some of that guns glorification, that makes it look like a toy or an everday thing in so many americans life. Accidents can happen anywhere all the time, but locks can prevent some, so that's another good solution, teach kids in school NOT to use a gun, could also be a good thing. The myth that you need a gun to protect yourself is just ridiculous.
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    69charger wrote:
    And look how little that amount of education is doing to prevent deaths!.

    You keep making my point for me... you said that a gun safety class would help reduce gun accidents. My point is that education wouldn't really make guns safer.

    Morons keeping loaded guns (or storing guns with ammo) where children can get to them is the problem. Trigger locks can help that situation a little bit.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Uncle LeoUncle Leo Posts: 1,073
    69charger wrote:

    A good law would be mandatory gun safety classes in middle school. Show kids how to check to see if a gun is loaded and how to unload it. Make firearms less taboo to kids and interest in monkeying around with guns will go down.

    I can picture the drooling NRA leadership right now. Boy would they love this.
    I cannot come up with a new sig till I get this egg off my face.
  • hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    mammasan wrote:
    Yes lets teach kids how to properly handle fire arms but refrain from teaching them how to have safe sex.

    What would be more appropriate would be to require individual who are purchasing a weapon to attend a fire arms safety course. Teach them how to properly store aways your weapon so their kids can't get to them.
    Classes like this one?
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • 69charger69charger Posts: 1,045
    No it's not, they tell you not to take drugs before you get to high school because they say it's bad for you, i have yet to find a school in the world that actually make you try these drugs.

    Again, apples and oranges; the problem is accidental shootings. The schools aren't going to ask you to accidentally shoot someone. They would be trying to show you how to prevent that.
    As a solution, change your constitution, first, as a statement to take away some of that guns glorification, that makes it look like a toy or an everday thing in so many americans life. Accidents can happen anywhere all the time, but locks can prevent some, so that's another good solution, teach kids in school NOT to use a gun, could also be a good thing. The myth that you need a gun to protect yourself is just ridiculous.

    I'll come back for this part later. Gotta go to work.
  • Uncle LeoUncle Leo Posts: 1,073
    hippiemom wrote:
    Classes like this one?

    Wow.
    I cannot come up with a new sig till I get this egg off my face.
  • thankyougrandmathankyougrandma Posts: 1,182
    69charger wrote:
    Again, apples and oranges; the problem is accidental shootings. The schools aren't going to ask you to accidentally shoot someone. They would be trying to show you how to prevent that.


    .

    Why don't make education mandatory when you actually buy a gun then? That would make the parents who have a gun and kids playing around them, more responsible, and more aware of the danger, and would prevent more Cheney like accident also, by actually being able to make the difference between a man and a deer ;). I don't think teaching everyone how to use a gun therefore making it look even more common in the eyes of kids, would prevent more accidents. Education to gun buyers would be better i think.

    Also legislation to make parents responsible, example in Canada, if your gun is not properly locked, and your kids find it and use it, the parent is responsible and will probably serve time.
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • moeaholicmoeaholic Posts: 536
    hippiemom wrote:
    Classes like this one?

    so every time that guy had a lecture on gun safety, he shot himself in the leg?
    "PC Load Letter?! What the fuck does that mean?"
    ~Michael Bolton
  • mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    hippiemom wrote:
    Classes like this one?


    Well at least he wasn't teaching sex ed.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
«1
Sign In or Register to comment.