Options

Does Israel use Depleted Uranium?

13»

Comments

• Options
    rightonduderightondude Posts: 745
    Puck78 wrote:
    the large hadron collider (LHC) is not of fermilab but of CERN.
    It didn't already start its activities.
    The creation of mini black holes during hadron collisions is a theory that came out last year using the strings theory. It has to be proved.
    You wrote just about science fiction stuff. We don't know what will people invent in 100 years, but so far all that you wrote is just science fiction.
    Mini black holes, what do you know about them? "gravity" bombs? mini quasars????
    If you want to make fun, ok, but if you talk about science, just talk about what you know. Else you're like the american journalists that speculate if hezbollah can bomb the USA....

Science fiction? I reading on their fermilab site they're confident the CERN dudes are going to be able to produce and observe a black hole on the very first day of it's operation.

LHC is set for operation in Nov 2007. Sooner than 100 years. Were moving faster than you think. Don't get me going on all that black budget spending :D
  • Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,560
    Puck78 wrote:
    you discover warm water: a lot of nuclei have half lives of fractions of seconds.

I add: don't be scared of the word anti-matter: it is used when you make PET, for example. And a lot of anti-matter falls on the top of the atmosphere constantly. it's a natural thing, so don't speculate too much around it.

Don't speculate? I think quantum mechanics is all speculation, mostly theories backed up by little fact. It's unfortunate that everything we understood about reality until now is flawed in it's laws. No hard golf balls anywhere. Everything is made of smaller and smaller particles, with more and more energy, seemingly popping in and out of existance. 90 percent of which appears to be void, until you look closer then you find more specks and more void. The splitting of the atom shocked people that experimented with it. A huge explosion from tiny particles exploding in a chain reaction. We have no idea what we are doing, it's an endless array of infinite possibilities.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    Puck78 wrote:
    you discover warm water: a lot of nuclei have half lives of fractions of seconds.

I add: don't be scared of the word anti-matter: it is used when you make PET, for example. And a lot of anti-matter falls on the top of the atmosphere constantly. it's a natural thing, so don't speculate too much around it.

Unless you've collected it (antimatter) and played with it in various quantities enough to reverse engineer and refine the process in ways the human mind can now relate to and comprehend?
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Everything is made of smaller and smaller particles, with more and more energy, seemingly popping in and out of existance. 90 percent of which appears to be void, until you look closer then you find more specks and more void. The splitting of the atom shocked people that experimented with it. A huge explosion from tiny particles exploding in a chain reaction. We have no idea what we are doing, it's an endless array of infinite possibilities.

I was reading that if you harvested every last "drop" of energy from just a few teaspoons of (any) matter, it would power entire cities for years.

Think of our moon in orbit. How much energy do you think it would take to rip it away out of orbit from earth. An insane amount of force right?

It's the same with strong and weak forces. The electric charge between all magnitudes of matter. To create a cataclysmic chain reaction so that every single atom of a substance say....enriched uranium, has all it's orbiting cloud bodies or "moons" smashed out into chaos like bullets. Similar to grease on a fire. The strong force is overcome enough for the structure to entirely recombine and emit phenomenal amounts of energy.

It's like squeezing a universe like a sponge. When we squeeze matter together insane energy comes exploding out like a hellstorm. So we know there is much more going on inside there than meets the eye. It would appear universes of energy ARE inside there. You take and squeeze an unstable element like plutonium, or uranium together, and a chain reaction of trans-universal or trans-dimensional proportions comes raging out.
  • Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,560
    Universal amounts of energy would seem to be living inside there in those tiny atoms. Yes indeed.

That's the thing. All of our understanding is shot to hell. Energy doesn't dissapear it just changes forms. Then how can you have more energy from less energy? How can the electrons in an atom move around undetectably, they don't orbit the nucleus, they appear in different places at different times. Even the nucleus doing weird stuff like that. We were better off thinking about golf balls, lol.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    That's the thing. All of our understanding is shot to hell. Energy doesn't dissapear it just changes forms. Then how can you have more energy from less energy? How can the electrons in an atom move around undetectably, they don't orbit the nucleus, they appear in different places at different times. Even the nucleus doing weird stuff like that. We were better off thinking about golf balls, lol.

That's what the LHC is hoping to observe more easily. Think of it as a bugs eye lens. The larger the collider is, the more detectors or "detctor panels" can be used (i.e. "visual" resolution) in the sheer physical size sense of it. They hope to prove presence of the higgs boson particle phonema better as well. Once effectively observered, the conditions can be reproduced and further analyzed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3546973.stm

cmon....let's go Higgs Boson...you know they're going find and prove it. I'll bet all my money on it 100% with complete confidence.
  • Options
    Puck78Puck78 Posts: 737
    Ahnimus wrote:
    ever heard of waves?
    I think quantum mechanics is all speculation, mostly theories backed up by little fact.
    this is not true. Again: get yourself some knowledge before to talk about it.
    I reading on their fermilab site they're confident the CERN dudes are going to be able to produce and observe a black hole on the very first day of it's operation.

LHC is set for operation in Nov 2007. Sooner than 100 years.
    one thing is to say "EVENTUALLY observe it in the FUTURE", one thing is to say that they are sure. Just newspapers and magazines are sure about science, scientists are the first people to doubt on the results
    www.amnesty.org
    www.amnesty.org.uk
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Yea, he's pretty fast, and he's not chinese either.

All I can say is if PJ had a drummer like that, it would be pretty freaking awesome to pick up live in concert! no doubt!
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Don't speculate? I think quantum mechanics is all speculation, mostly theories backed up by little fact.

It's unfortunate that everything we understood about reality until now is flawed in it's laws. No hard golf balls anywhere. Everything is made of smaller and smaller particles, with more and more energy, seemingly popping in and out of existance. 90 percent of which appears to be void, until you look closer then you find more specks and more void. The splitting of the atom shocked people that experimented with it. A huge explosion from tiny particles exploding in a chain reaction. We have no idea what we are doing, it's an endless array of infinite possibilities.

I don't see it as unfortunate, but actually as a necessary part in our evolution. I can dig up some interview footage and literature on how they say not a single theory in "quantum land" thus far has proven to be incorrect. Not a single one apparently according to him.

He also says that if you ask him do you really know what it's all about? He answers, he would like to think he does, but in reality he doesn't really have a clue...it would seem impossible.

whoa, both frightening and enlightening at the same time.