Options

Afghan war may be lost

RushlimboRushlimbo Posts: 832
edited April 2007 in A Moving Train
Way to bog us down in Iraq you dumbass empire spreading neocons and those who voted for them. They are screwing up the one good thing this administration has done in its 6 years. I guess all is not lost - they can diversify their stock portfolios to include burqa making companies for the surge in demand once the Taliban return.
==============================================
Afghan war may be lost: experts
Taliban are back in force, MPS hear. Contradicting military chief's optimistim

ANDREW MAYEDA
CanWest News Service
Friday, March 30, 2007

Two Afghanistan experts painted a sobering picture of the conditions there yesterday, arguing support among Afghans for NATO forces is plummeting, the U.S.-driven policy of poppy eradication is wrongheaded, and the war might not be winnable in its present form.

U.S. scholar Barnett Rubin and Gordon Smith, Canada's former ambassador to NATO, delivered their withering comments to a Commons committee only days after Canada's top military commander, Gen. Rick Hillier, touted progress being made there.

Hillier, the chief of defence staff, this week predicted Canadian troops in southern Afghanistan will soon see a rise in attacks from the Taliban. But he insisted on using the term "surge" rather than "offensive."

He also noted many Afghans are moving back into their homes in districts west of Kandahar following a Canadian-led NATO offensive last fall.

But Rubin, who has been to Afghanistan 29 times over more than two decades, said yesterday many Afghans are growing frustrated with the pace of Western efforts to stabilize the country.

"They're not at all happy. Support for both the international presence and the government has plummeted in the past year or so," he told the foreign affairs committee.

He said Afghans aren't seeing the results of promises by the United States and NATO, which took over the mission in 2003, to increase security, establish democracy and improve the economy. "The main complaint that I hear from Afghans is ... that we haven't delivered what they think we promised."

Rubin recently published an article in Foreign Affairs magazine warning Afghanistan "is at risk of collapsing into chaos." In it, he blasts the U.S. for underestimating the influence of Pakistan, which he accuses of providing "safe haven" to the Taliban.

Smith, meanwhile, threw cold water on Hillier's suggestion that Canadian troops are facing a weakened enemy.

There is evidence Al-Qa'ida-affiliated militants, who often fight alongside the Taliban, are actually gaining strength, said Smith, now executive director of the Centre for Global Studies at the University of Victoria.

"The Al-Qa'ida problem has not gone away," he told MPs. "It's important that we not forget the original motivation for going to Afghanistan, and that was to deal with Al-Qa'ida."

Smith recently released a critical report of his own, titled Canada in Afghanistan: Is it Working? He questions whether NATO can achieve its stated goals, even within 10 years. Canada has committed to maintain its military presence until 2009.

He argued NATO needs to hike its troop commitment, while using development aid more effectively and opening negotiations with the Taliban. Smith also said NATO must create a market so Afghan farmers can sell their opium for legal use in medical products like morphine.

Both Rubin and Smith suggested Canada needs to have a new debate about its role in Afghanistan. Liberal MP Keith Martin welcomed their remarks.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/story.html?id=2b354bb5-32fb-4a49-8092-ed5668d841dc&k=21972
War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strength
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    not4unot4u Posts: 513
    Harper will never let them grow the drugs thus making the taliban stronger and the war more prolonged, exactly what he wants. My Canadian troops are doing far more important things over thier like fighting religious nuts with guns that force the unthinkable upon people - thats what this war is about, thats what it should be about, if we let them legalize thier drug the problem will become more pure and focused on what exactly we need to do. Protect against religious extremists (not people joining the evil to keep thier poppy fields) and help them obtain a economy that helps them build. but i don't know shit.
    we don't want war, but we still want more?
  • Options
    stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    A guy i played in the same football team with died in afghanistan last month, real shame. He was up for being there and i know he believed in what he was doing, as i do. Things are pretty grim at the moment but i really hope that we press on. War is hellish obviously but im still of the opinion that our troops are worthy of our support, i have a number of friends in Basra and around Iraq at the moment and i am very proud of them all.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • Options
    stu gee wrote:
    A guy i played in the same football team with died in afghanistan last month, real shame. He was up for being there and i know he believed in what he was doing, as i do. Things are pretty grim at the moment but i really hope that we press on. War is hellish obviously but im still of the opinion that our troops are worthy of our support, i have a number of friends in Basra and around Iraq at the moment and i am very proud of them all.

Sorry about your friend. You should be proud of your friends for the efforts they are giving. I think it's our governments we should be ashamed of.
    War is Peace
    Freedom is Slavery
    Ignorance is Strength
  • Options
    sorry about your buddy.
    Being proud of your troops and being proud of your government are entirely 2 separate things. It reminds me of that sienfeld sketch on how "sleep and THAT somehow got all tangled up" and misconstrued. I think Harper is a fucking piece of shit and ANYONE that thinks i don't support the troops becuse of that is as equally fucking shitty.
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Posts: 2,673
    The Afghan war was lost the second america killed an innocent person. How long did it take? two days?

After 9/11 America went on about how the terrorists killed 3.000 in the wtc blah blah blah nothing can justify the killing of innocents they yelled. Then they go and carpet bomb towns and villages.
  • Options
    truroutetruroute Posts: 251
    MrBrian wrote:
    Then they go and carpet bomb towns and villages.

Link please.
  • Options
    pjfanatic4pjfanatic4 Posts: 127
    What exactly constitutes a "victory" in Afghanistan?
    - The elimination of Al-Quaida?
    - The elimination of the Taliban?
    - Setting up a "democracy"?

Afghanistan was very much destroyed by the Russians prior to 9/11. Then the US came in a did much of the same. The West is not interested in aiding Afghanistan be a democratic state, unless they choose who will be running things.
  • Options
    pjfanatic4 wrote:
    What exactly constitutes a "victory" in Afghanistan?
    - The elimination of Al-Quaida?
    - The elimination of the Taliban?
    - Setting up a "democracy"?

Afghanistan was very much destroyed by the Russians prior to 9/11. Then the US came in a did much of the same. The West is not interested in aiding Afghanistan be a democratic state, unless they choose who will be running things.

seems like a black hole to me.
    But on a smaller scale, like our troops, these great humans are the ones doing the good when it should be the fucking politicians. Its the politicians that are keeping them there for thier(are) OWN green diseases. Expendable at the cost of our comfort and thier hearts of gold. Fucking disgusting. I support the Troops, our government sees them as expendable. Reverse pshycology at its best.
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Posts: 2,673
    truroute wrote:
    Link please.

http://www.rawa.org/s-kill2.htm

http://www.cursor.org/stories/ontarget.htm

http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=03/04/07/0216234

http://www.cursor.org/stories/civilian_deaths.htm

---

Now we have a huge comeback by the "taliban" or "al queida", but how can that be so many years after 9/11? I tell you why, they are the sons of the dead fathers due to US bombs and the fathers of the dead sons due to US bombs. these are the new taliban/al quieda... poor people, farmers. ones that had loved ones,sons, daughters,mothers,fathers all killed by America.
    It's easy to lable the survivors of these american attacks "al queida" simply because it takes away from the truth, the real reasons of this "comeback".

America is the cause of these problems, america is the true threat. the afghan war was lost the day it started. Also what makes me sick are the the people who cry about how unjust the iraq war is and in the same breath say that they support the US war in afghanistan. disgusting.
  • Options
    jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    MrBrian wrote:

America is the cause of these problems, america is the true threat. the afghan war was lost the day it started. Also what makes me sick are the the people who cry about how unjust the iraq war is and in the same breath say that they support the US war in afghanistan. disgusting.

how do you feel about the 3000 americans who died on 9/11? are their deaths justifed since america is the true threat? are you hoping for more attacks against our evil country?
  • Options
    SpecificsSpecifics Posts: 417
    jlew24asu wrote:
    how do you feel about the 3000 americans who died on 9/11? are their deaths justifed since america is the true threat? are you hoping for more attacks against our evil country?

Ye, dont stop there man im with ya, how about the people killed by that postal bombing thing, AND the IRA in the UK, AND the other time they tried it on the WTC, AND the blitz in london, the whole fucking WW2!!! Nazi B'stards!! and dont even get me started on the Redcoats!! and when are we gonna apolgise for slavery huh? and what about them guys that used to steal you're lunch money evryday J and flush you're head down the toilet. Lets blow the whole World up its the only way to even it all out!! its the only fair way!

fuck off JLew i've read that post 100 times now.
    You bring nothing to the table.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Specifics wrote:
    fuck off JLew i've read that post 100 times now.
    You bring nothing to the table.

Nice. How ironic that you would be calling someone out for not bringing anything new to the table.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    SpecificsSpecifics Posts: 417
    jeffbr wrote:
    Nice. How ironic that you would be calling someone out for not bringing anything new to the table.

How ironic that your standing up for your bum boy, u just pulled out?
  • Options
    Specifics wrote:

LOL. Sorry, that was funny.
    War is Peace
    Freedom is Slavery
    Ignorance is Strength
  • Options
    inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    I think the Afgan war was more about controlling the drug trade than hunting for OMB....
  • Options
    inmytree wrote:
    I think the Afgan war was more about controlling the drug trade than hunting for OMB....

yeah I was reading poppy crops are up 2000% over last year, or something like that...

The new US fertilizers must work great
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    moeaholicmoeaholic Posts: 536
    inmytree wrote:

omb? dmb? blt? ou812?
    "PC Load Letter?! What the fuck does that mean?"
    ~Michael Bolton
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    inmytree wrote:
    Ooooohh... Nice guess... but, Al Qaeda and/or Usama Bin laden is the correct answer.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Specifics wrote:

Why is it ironic? Do you understand what irony is? And it is "you're". When you learn to speak english and have an original thought, get back to me.
  • Options
    hodgehodge Posts: 519
    there are no winners in war
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • Options
    jeffbr wrote:
    Why is it ironic? Do you understand what irony is? And it is "you're". When you learn to speak english and have an original thought, get back to me.

LOL. At least get it correct if you are trying to get some dignity back from the guy. It is actually "your" as he has it. True irony....LMAO !!
    War is Peace
    Freedom is Slavery
    Ignorance is Strength
  • Options
    Rushlimbo wrote:
    LOL. At least get it correct if you are trying to get some dignity back from the guy. It is actually "your" as he has it. True irony....LMAO !!

Read it again, son. There are 2 instances of your in his quote. One is incorrect. If you're smarter than a 5th grader you'll be able to tell me which one.
  • Options
    jeffbr wrote:
    Read it again, son. There are 2 instances of your in his quote. One is incorrect. If you're smarter than a 5th grader you'll be able to tell me which one.

you're correct about your posts of yore
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    jlew24asu wrote:

Because 9/11 occured out of an historical and political vacuum, right? Nothing that had gone before in any way prompted these attacks? Like the 100% unconditional support for Israel, for example? Or the decades of economic warfare against middle eastern countries?
  • Options
    lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    inmytree wrote:

WEll, it's true that thre has been no heroin on the streets here in Oz since that was takaen down.
    I'm wondering who is arming and financing teh new wave of Afghan resurgents.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Because 9/11 occured out of an historical and political vacuum, right?
    yes

Byrnzie wrote:
    Nothing that had gone before in any way prompted these attacks?
    no
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Like the 100% unconditional support for Israel, for example? Or the decades of economic warfare against middle eastern countries?

it really pisses me off when people like you smile and stood on your couch and cheered when the WTC was attacked.

neither of your pathetic examples are justification for killing thousands of innocent people.
  • Options
    moeaholic wrote:
    omb? dmb? blt? ou812?

oopsy...that would be OBL...:o
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    Ooooohh... Nice guess... but, Al Qaeda and/or Usama Bin laden is the correct answer.

perhaps, but the control of the drug trade has been a nice bonus...

as someone has mentioned...the poppy fields are a poppin'...more so now than before the occupation...
  • Options
    inmytree wrote:
    perhaps, but the control of the drug trade has been a nice bonus...

as someone has mentioned...the poppy fields are a poppin'...more so now than before the occupation...

occupation? :confused:
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:
    occupation? :confused:

ok....invasion and attempted occupation...

is that better...?