Options

Afghan war may be lost

Comments

• Options
    jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    Nice reply....seems to me you truly do have that dumbed down frat house mentality.

dude I cant help it. not only do I disagree with you but your statement is so ridiculous I dont know what else to say.

its one thing if you think america is your enemy, fine, have a good time with that. but el queda and "extreme" islam is very evil. do you know anything about that organization or something called sharia law?

for example, if you commit adultery you are stoned to death.

how about the taliban? they are the definition of extreme islam. do you know what happens if you disobey any of their laws? you die.
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:
    dude I cant help it. not only do I disagree with you but your statement is so ridiculous I dont know what else to say.

its one thing if you think america is your enemy, fine, have a good time with that. but el queda and "extreme" islam is very evil. do you know anything about that organization or something called sharia law?

how about the taliban? they are the definition of extreme islam. do you know what happens if you disobey any of their laws? you die.

Their way of life has been around for thousands of years. Not even one hundred years ago black people in this country were being hanged, whipped...etc. So are we really in a position to say that their way of life must change right now? does invading them and killing innocent people create a positve change to their society? Seems to me like it's hypocracy at it's most extreme.

And about 9/11.....explain to me, how building 7 fell? Thats all I ask.....prove to me this point and I will believe that it's extreme islam.
  • Options
    Canada will be in Afghanistan until permanent progress is made: O'Connor

MONTREAL (CP) - Defence Minister Gordon O'Connor says Canada will stay in Afghanistan until the progress that's been made becomes irreversible by the extremists who still threaten the country.

O'Connor outlined for an international relations group in Montreal all of Canada's contributions to helping restore peace and hope in Afghanistan. The defence minister says he noticed during a recent trip that life is returning to normal in villages and towns.

But he warns that Taliban extremists are determined to undermine progress and that's why the Canadian Forces remain a vital part of the international mission.

O'Connor's speech was briefly interrupted by a handful of anti-war protesters who were quickly hustled out of the downtown hotel by police.

Outside the hotel, several dozen more protesters staged a small but noisy demonstration to demand that Canada pulls its troops out of Afghanistan.
    http://www.cjad.com/node/506329

HAHA, would have been easier and more accurate to say "Canada will stay in Afghanistan as long as the Conservatives are in power " :)
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:

And i never said that america is the enemy....putting words in other peoples mouths is not cool to say the least. However I do feel that the american government is a big threat to world peace.
  • Options
    Canada will be in Afghanistan until permanent progress is made: O'Connor

MONTREAL (CP) - Defence Minister Gordon O'Connor says Canada will stay in Afghanistan until the progress that's been made becomes irreversible by the extremists who still threaten the country.

O'Connor outlined for an international relations group in Montreal all of Canada's contributions to helping restore peace and hope in Afghanistan. The defence minister says he noticed during a recent trip that life is returning to normal in villages and towns.

But he warns that Taliban extremists are determined to undermine progress and that's why the Canadian Forces remain a vital part of the international mission.

O'Connor's speech was briefly interrupted by a handful of anti-war protesters who were quickly hustled out of the downtown hotel by police.

Outside the hotel, several dozen more protesters staged a small but noisy demonstration to demand that Canada pulls its troops out of Afghanistan.
    http://www.cjad.com/node/506329

HAHA, would have been easier and more accurate to say "Canada will stay in Afghanistan as long as the Conservatives are in power " :)

I emailed Gordon personally twice. It took them over 6 months to reply with some cookie cutter BS email I could have got from CNN. None of my questions were answered.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    Their way of life has been around for thousands of years.
    so that makes it ok?
    Not even one hundred years ago black people in this country were being hanged, whipped...etc.
    and guess what, we had a war to end that horrible treatment of people.
    So are we really in a position to say that their way of life must change right now?
    we didnt invade the country to change their way of life. we did it as retaliation for being attacked. giving freedom to the afgan people was a positive side effect.
    And about 9/11.....explain to me, how building 7 fell? Thats all I ask.....prove to me this point and I will believe that it's extreme islam.
    so because the collapse of wtc7 hasnt been proven beyond a reasonable doubt of falling on its own, you believe ALL of 9/11 was a inside job? is that really what you are saying?

we have beaten this subject to death here and yes there is some suspicion as to how that building fell. and when collapsed killed and injured ZERO people.
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:
    so that makes it ok?

and guess what, we had a war to end that horrible treatment of people.

we didnt invade the country to change their way of life. we did it as retaliation for being attacked. giving freedom to the afgan people was a positive side effect.

so because the collapse of wtc7 hasnt been proven beyond a reasonable doubt of falling on its own, you believe ALL of 9/11 was a inside job? is that really what you are saying?

we have beaten this subject to death here and yes there is some suspicion as to how that building fell. and when collapsed killed and injured ZERO people.

YES....combined with firefighter testimony.....scientists analysis of the steel, and a lot of other information.

Plus....why would the "terrorists" hit those buildings? If you really hated the stated that much wouldn't it be smatter to hit oil refineries in south/east texas? Wouldn't that do alot more damage to the economy? maybe to much damage? or maybe the "terrorists" weren't that smart. Smart enough to pull of this crazy operation, but not smart enough to pick a target that would do the most damage. hmmmmm unanswerable questions
  • Options
    RainDogRainDog Posts: 1,831
    YES....combined with firefighter testimony.....scientists analysis of the steel, and a lot of other information.

Plus....why would the "terrorists" hit those buildings? If you really hated the stated that much wouldn't it be smatter to hit oil refineries in south/east texas? Wouldn't that do alot more damage to the economy? maybe to much damage? or maybe the "terrorists" weren't that smart. Smart enough to pull of this crazy operation, but not smart enough to pick a target that would do the most damage. hmmmmm unanswerable questions
    Actually, from a strategic standpoint, attacking the World Trade Center easily gives the terrorists the most bang for their buck. More than any oil refinery in Texas - hell, probably even more than the White House. It was an emotional symbol, an economic symbol, an economic hub, and the biggest damn thing in the New York skyline.
  • Options
    so convincing. ALL of 9/11 had to be an inside job. i'm sold.
    Plus....why would the "terrorists" hit those buildings?
    the world trade center towers were symbols of american financial strength. it wasnt the first time they tried. or maybe you think the truck bomb in 93 was an inside job as well.

the pentagon. the heartbeat of the american military. yea bad target, what are these dipshits thinking?

flight 93, by most accounts, heading toward the capital building. the center of american politics, history, lawmaking. a true symbol of america itself. again, what dipshits.

If you really hated the stated that much wouldn't it be smatter to hit oil refineries in south/east texas? Wouldn't that do alot more damage to the economy?
    no not at all. hurricane katrina did much more damage to the oil industry then a terrorist could ever do.
    maybe to much damage?
    sigh
    or maybe the "terrorists" weren't that smart.
    i can tell you who isnt that smart....
    Smart enough to pull of this crazy operation, but not smart enough to pick a target that would do the most damage. hmmmmm unanswerable questions
    you are pure comedy dude
  • Options
    RainDog wrote:
    Actually, from a strategic standpoint, attacking the World Trade Center easily gives the terrorists the most bang for their buck. More than any oil refinery in Texas - hell, probably even more than the White House. It was an emotional symbol, an economic symbol, an economic hub, and the biggest damn thing in the New York skyline.

bang for their buck....thats an interesting way of descibing it.....kinda of like buying a 2 for 1 pizza. don't really agree with those comments.
  • Options
    bang for their buck....thats an interesting way of descibing it.....kinda of like buying a 2 for 1 pizza. don't really agree with those comments.
    Biggest buildings in the biggest city in the most powerful country the world has ever known. Were they simply large buildings, that alone would have been enough; but it was the World Trade center. The Pentagon was the sauce; who knows what Flight 93 would have been.

Nineteen people in four highjacked planes would have no hope of crippling our oil production, and therefore it would have had little to no effect on our economy if that's the direction they would have went. Yeah, biggest bang for their buck.
  • Options
    RainDog wrote:
    Biggest buildings in the biggest city in the most powerful country the world has ever known. Were they simply large buildings, that alone would have been enough; but it was the World Trade center. The Pentagon was the sauce; who knows what Flight 93 would have been.

Nineteen people in four highjacked planes would have no hope of crippling our oil production, and therefore it would have had little to no effect on our economy if that's the direction they would have went. Yeah, biggest bang for their buck.

Anyway, i doubt anything I say will make you think outside your box...so i'm gonna stop wasting my time.
  • Options
    Anyway, i doubt anything I say will make you think outside your box...so i'm gonna stop wasting my time.

amen. trust me, you are doing yourself a huge favor
  • Options
    Why do you get to say you're going to stop wasting your time? Why can't I say the exact same thing? Or can I?

Hell, on 9/11/2001 I was one of the people wondering how much Bush knew, and whether or not he was "involved." I still wonder how much he knew.

But let's leave aside the culprits for a second and look only at the damage done. These were prime targets, highly effective prime targets. For the level of effort and the "technical knowhow" involved, I cannot for the life of me think of a more effective attack. Again, forget who was at fault. We got nailed about as good as nineteen "frontline" people can nail a country the size of ours. What makes you think the oil refineries would be any better?
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    inmytree wrote:
    perhaps, but the control of the drug trade has been a nice bonus...

as someone has mentioned...the poppy fields are a poppin'...more so now than before the occupation...
    'WOULD' have been a nice bonus... but, Afghanistan was about one thing... daylight operation of terrorist trainning camps and their ties to Usama Bin Laden.
    P.S. I loved it when I heard the Dick Cheney talking about converting opium fields to corn or wheat... CORN OR WHEAT. How much does an ounce of wheat got for these days? Yeah... they're dirt poor over there... their Mom and Pop wheat fields can compete with our bread basket.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    Cosmo wrote:
    'WOULD' have been a nice bonus... but, Afghanistan was about one thing... daylight operation of terrorist trainning camps and their ties to Usama Bin Laden.
    P.S. I loved it when I heard the Dick Cheney talking about converting opium fields to corn or wheat... CORN OR WHEAT. How much does an ounce of wheat got for these days? Yeah... they're dirt poor over there... their Mom and Pop wheat fields can compete with our bread basket.
    Why does the press even cover Dick Cheney anymore? Hasn't pretty much everything he's ever said been proven false? None of his predictions have come to pass. He's 100% wrong on everything. Who listens to this guy?
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    Why does the press even cover Dick Cheney anymore? Hasn't pretty much everything he's ever said been proven false? None of his predictions have come to pass. He's 100% wrong on everything. Who listens to this guy?
    Certainly, not me. I listen to him for humorous material.
    Like, being greeted as liberators... Insurgency in its last throes... 320,000 trainned and equipped Iraqi forces.
    He may be right about the 320,000 Iraqi forces... but, it just proves what a failure the policy is. I mean, 320,000 plus 140,00 U.S. (and an additional 20,000 in the surge)... 480,000 troops cannot create a secure environment over there?
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    Cosmo wrote:
    Certainly, not me. I listen to him for humorous material.
    Like, being greeted as liberators... Insurgency in its last throes... 320,000 trainned and equipped Iraqi forces.
    He may be right about the 320,000 Iraqi forces... but, it just proves what a failure the policy is. I mean, 320,000 plus 140,00 U.S. (and an additional 20,000 in the surge)... 480,000 troops cannot create a secure environment over there?
    Oh, I know you don't listen to him :) It was more a general question, like how does he even have reporters following him around? Other than Daily Show correspondents, I mean ... who probably listen to him for the same reason you do.

May as well ask an astrologer what's going to happen, you'd probably get better results.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    I just thought of something...what happens when you let a fart rip while wearing one of those black facemask style burka's in the hot sun?

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    I just thought of something...what happens when you let a fart rip while wearing one of those black facemask style burka's in the hot sun?

My guess... you get light headed... and no one around you knows you've ripped one.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    My guess... you get light headed... and no one around you knows you've ripped one.

I guess a certain amount of it you breathe back in and process for a second go like a catalytic converter on a car. Al Gore would like that.

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    jlew24asu wrote:
    it really pisses me off when people like you smile and stood on your couch and cheered when the WTC was attacked.

You have a very vivid imagination.
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    jlew24asu wrote:
    sorry I get pissed when people sympathize with the enemy.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but 9/11 wasn't year zero.
  • Options
    SpecificsSpecifics Posts: 417
    jeffbr wrote:
    Why is it ironic? Do you understand what irony is? And it is "you're". When you learn to speak english and have an original thought, get back to me.

Thats lame. Its ironic how boring your. and you didnt answer my question.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Specifics wrote:
    Thats lame. Its ironic how boring your. and you didnt answer my question.
    Did you just get back from your banning?
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    SpecificsSpecifics Posts: 417
    jeffbr wrote:
    Did you just get back from your banning?

No i just woke up after reading your last post.
  • Options
    not4unot4u Posts: 513
    hippiemom wrote:
    Or was it because they hate us for our freedom?

i think they hate our freedom becuase we steal from them our Convenience. Is convenience freedom? Nope - its just another word twisted to mean something else during this war.
    we don't want war, but we still want more?
  • Options
    not4u wrote:
    i think they hate our freedom becuase we steal from them our Convenience. Is convenience freedom? Nope - its just another word twisted to mean something else during this war.
    'Give Me Convenience... or Give Me Death'.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    not4unot4u Posts: 513
    Cosmo wrote:
    'Give Me Convenience... or Give Me Death'.

*sigh*.....good album.
    we don't want war, but we still want more?
  • Options
    not4u wrote:
    *sigh*.....good album.
    Only contains the greatest song of all time.. 'Holiday In Cambodia'.
    Hail, Hail!!!