Options

Tim Hardaway on Gays

Comments

• Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    even flow? wrote:
    I played hockey with a guy for a good 10 to 12 years and not once did he talk about women, bring a woman to any game, or even cut too many comments on the cute waitresses at the bars we would go to after the game. But the guy could sure play hockey. We just accepted that if he was gay, it wasn't our business to worry about it at all. Not one of us ever felt so uncomfortable to not shower when the guy was in the stalls. We were all good friends and still are to this day.

Heaven forbid a good player on a team sport being gay and ruining the whole gay thing of male bonding. :)
    I've roomed with a gay guy while on business trips. I always thought it was an odd thing for the company to do. But wasn't phased by it. I did ask the HR dept rather jokingly if I could room with a lesbian the next trip so I could be the one enjoying th view.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    even flow? wrote:
    I played hockey with a guy for a good 10 to 12 years and not once did he talk about women, bring a woman to any game, or even cut too many comments on the cute waitresses at the bars we would go to after the game. But the guy could sure play hockey. We just accepted that if he was gay, it wasn't our business to worry about it at all. Not one of us ever felt so uncomfortable to not shower when the guy was in the stalls. We were all good friends and still are to this day.

Heaven forbid a good player on a team sport being gay and ruining the whole gay thing of male bonding. :)

but do you know he was gay? the fact that he didnt talk about that stuff could just mean he's very religious. that's called gender sterotyping... even if he wasnt gay he could sue you for harassment under title ix for it ;)
  • Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    but do you know he was gay? the fact that he didnt talk about that stuff could just mean he's very religious. that's called gender sterotyping... even if he wasnt gay he could sue you for harassment under title ix for it ;)

That is the thing Mr. singing. We didn't know and we didn't care. If he was or wasn't didn't hinder the rest of the team, slapping him on his ass or hugging him when he scored a goal. Or being hugged or slapped on the ass when somebody else scored. Hell we even shared water bottles with the guy. ;) Oh how paranoid and stupid some people can be about the whole sexual preference thing.

I am sure it wasn't a religious thing.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    I cant believe how much media coverage this is getting. who gives a fuck. he's just one asshole with an opinion.
  • Options
    cornnifercornnifer Posts: 2,130
    PJPOWER wrote:
    Tim Hardaway, Mike Tyson, OJ Simpson................three of the most inspiring black athletes this world has seen............................If only they could be a little more like Mike :)

How did you come up with this? Three of the most inspiring? Out of all the black athletes the world has known you come up with these three? To make what point? All you've done is choose three alleged fuck-ups and hold them up as an example of the typical Black athlete.
    "When all your friends and sedatives mean well but make it worse... better find yourself a place to level out."
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:
    I cant believe how much media coverage this is getting. who gives a fuck. he's just one asshole with an opinion.

agree.

If you look at the major stories on CNN lately (from the USA, we only have CNN news channel here), the most important stuffs that happened during last months were:

A horse die
    A celeb die
    A celeb say he hates gay.

Who really gives a fuck? N.Korea agreement, Palestine agreement, Darfur violence increase, Habs losing streak ;), i mean much more important stuffs is going on right now... I think i might call my cable company to get Fox News here... or maybe not.
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    adam42381 wrote:
    I don't agree with his stance but can, in a way, understand a bit of the locker room situation. I don't know what the difference would be between having a gay male in the men's locker room vs. having a straight male in the cheerleader's locker room. Any thoughts?

It's not the same thing. There's more chance of mutual attraction.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    agree.

If you look at the major stories on CNN lately (from the USA, we only have CNN news channel here), the most important stuffs that happened during last months were:

A horse die
    A celeb die

Who really gives a fuck? N.Korea agreement, Palestine agreement, Darfur violence increase, Habs losing streak ;), i mean much more important stuffs is going on right now... I think i might call my cable company to get Fox News here... or maybe not.

The news here has become a joke. There is more concern with ratings and "entertainment" than being informative. And when they do provide "news" you have to decide the angle being taken and if it is biased or unfiltered truth.
    Brian
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    agree.

A horse die
    A celeb die

all about the dollars...ratings....newsworthyness depends on the viewers the news attracts..very simple. All just business.

The horse and celeb...yea...pretty much a big waste...now mr hardiway....its just good he spoke up for all the homophobes in America...just goes to show..there are some reeaaaallly ignorant humans living in our country...and as mentioned before...the more they scream...the more they're suppressing they're needs/emotions.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    More power to you Tim Hardaway. I think that's funny as hell.

On a different note:

Why do gay guys get to live in the same campus residence halls at my college as straight guys? Isn't that like letting girls live on the same halls as guys?

Isn't the whole point of separating the sexes to minimize sexual interaction? What if some gay dude comes onto you?

That's the only point I really identify with that Hardaway said: gays should not be undressing and hanging around straight guys for the same reason that women should not be undressing and hanging around straight guys.
    All I know is that to see, and not to speak, would be the great betrayal.
    -Enoch Powell
  • Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    More power to you Tim Hardaway. I think that's funny as hell.

On a different note:

Why do gay guys get to live in the same campus residence halls at my college as straight guys? Isn't that like letting girls live on the same halls as guys?

Isn't the whole point of separating the sexes to minimize sexual interaction? What if some gay dude comes onto you?

That's the only point I really identify with that Hardaway said: gays should not be undressing and hanging around straight guys for the same reason that women should not be undressing and hanging around straight guys.

Say it is the guy who is the male roll in the gay relationship? He is still a guy living with guys. Some people are truly scared to death of people who are not like them. How does it feel by the way?
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    Why do straight guys think every single gay guy is gunning for them? I went to a birthday party a few weeks ago for my old roommate, who's gay. Of the 30 or so people there, I'd say at least half were gay. This girl who is a friend of ours brought her boyfriend and he looked scared as shit and just stood against the wall. Someone asked him what was wrong. He said he felt uncomfortable being around so many guys looking at him. One of our gay guy friends walked right up to him with a straight face and said, "Honey, ain't no one looking at you anyway. Be happy that you're straight and that your girlfriend obviously isnt interested in dating good looking guys." It was the best.
  • Options
    Drew263Drew263 Birmingham, AL Posts: 602
    African Americans have no control over their skin color (Mike Jackson = exception)

Homosexual men have no control over thier being gay. (I am a straight man and I cannot remember looking at men and women during my early teenage years or whenever and saying to myself, "I think I'll pick women". It's just the way my brain was wired. I imagine its the same for a gay man/woman?)

So yes, here is definately similiarity with the human rights struggles of African Americans and Homosexuals. They are being discriminated against because of something they have absolutely no control over.

If it were not for the civil rights movement and the struggles of the African American and Women, I would not be suprised if this country discriminated against gays and prvented them from voting, owning land, using the same bathrooms as "straights" etc.

Tim Hardaway...just another asshole showing how much of an asshole he is to a lot more people than the usual asshole.

Yes..but you can't hide being black and I don't recall any homosexuals being slaves. Similar? Only slightly...

I would bet and I haven't asked any of my black friends..that if you asked a black person if their struggle was similar to gays, they'd laugh in your face. That is just a guess on my part though.
  • Options
    Drew263 wrote:
    Yes..but you can't hide being black and I don't recall any homosexuals being slaves. Similar? Only slightly...

I would bet and I haven't asked any of my black friends..that if you asked a black person if their struggle was similar to gays, they'd laugh in your face. That is just a guess on my part though.

Even though you are discriminated against, people hate you, and treat you like shit, I laugh at you because I am hated more than you and my struggle for human dignity is harder than yours, so there.

WTF?

Both are discriminated against because of their uniqueness as human beings. It's absurd.

That said, I hate people with blue eyes. ;)
    All that's sacred, comes from youth....dedications, naive and true.
  • Options
    chipboychipboy Posts: 137
    So it isn't ok to hate people because of their skin color or sexual orientation but what about hating them because of their religion, upbringing, or mental abnormalities?

I get the impression from most people I talk to and from the way things are presented in the media that most people are comfortable with "hating" certain people like Islamic Fundamentalists (religion), skinheads (upbringing), pedophiles (mental abnormalities). And it's not always about ignorance. Just because someone decides they do not like someone or want to be around them doesn't mean they don't understand them. It's a free country. Tim Hardaway has every right to hate gay people and they have every right to hate him back.
  • Options
    chipboy wrote:
    So it isn't ok to hate people because of their skin color or sexual orientation but what about hating them because of their religion, upbringing, or mental abnormalities?

I get the impression from most people I talk to and from the way things are presented in the media that most people are comfortable with "hating" certain people like Islamic Fundamentalists (religion), skinheads (upbringing), pedophiles (mental abnormalities). And it's not always about ignorance. Just because someone decides they do not like someone or want to be around them doesn't mean they don't understand them. It's a free country. Tim Hardaway has every right to hate gay people and they have every right to hate him back.

Just because you have the right to do something, doesnt mean its the right thing to do.
    All that's sacred, comes from youth....dedications, naive and true.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    chipboy wrote:

It's not illegal to be bigoted. Bigotry is simply scorned by rational people in society.

phobia means an irrational fear.

Homophobia is an irrational fear of homosexuals.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    I just lost all respect for Tim Hardaway. I listened to the comments this morning on yahoo.com, and i was shocked he was so outward w/it.

When you're someone of that profile, you have to be careful, very careful.

I have decided though, that if i meet him, i'm going to get my 92-93 Upper Deck card signed, shake his hand, then ask him out to dinner.

Maybe a movie.
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    my world is shattered to say the least

I have, for a number of years, looked to Tim Hardaway for leadership in all aspects of life.
    Beautiful!!! FUNNY FUNNY SHIT!!! :D
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    It's riveting commentary like this that got this fella a job at ESPN a few years ago. He was awful, mush mouthed and could not get a coherent sentence out to save his life, like a dumb(er) version of GW Bush. He lasted for like 4 months before I think the ESPN producers steered him back to play in the NBA...where he was suspended for multiple games for ripping a replay TV screen out of the scorers bench and whipping it on the floor. So we know he hates gays and technology. Like a dumb Theo (Ted) Kazcynski.

LoL at the "Utep-2-Step" line. He also has a hard time pronouncing "skills". I Got "Skeeelz".... Moron.
  • Options
    It's riveting commentary like this that got this fella a job at ESPN a few years ago. He was awful, mush mouthed and could not get a coherent sentence out to save his life, like a dumb(er) version of GW Bush. He lasted for like 4 months before I think the ESPN producers steered him back to play in the NBA...where he was suspended for multiple games for ripping a replay TV screen out of the scorers bench and whipping it on the floor. So we know he hates gays and technology. Like a dumb Theo (Ted) Kazcynski.

LoL at the "Utep-2-Step" line. He also has a hard time pronouncing "skills". I Got "Skeeelz".... Moron.

funny, because people thought he'd be a natural as an analyst and he was fuckin awful.

fuck you hardaway. i hope some big gay dude rapes you repeatedly. karma is a bitch!
    those undecided, needn't have faith to be free
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    When Magic was voted on to the All-Star team after announcing he had AIDS, wasn't it Hardaway who gave up his spot on the team for him?
  • Options
    ok so if i hear one more stupid person say "its a free country" i think im going to move to canada. anybody who thinks its ok for him to say he hates gays is just as stupid as he is.

and did i see someone compare black and gays to pedophiles and terrorists??

i think i'll leave everyone with a quote from Tim.

"basketball isn't rocket scientistry"
    i gather speed...from u fucking with me

"i am the first man to shit my pants ya whew!"

its no crime to escape..theres still time to escape...theres still time so escape...

"yellow ledbetter is like the smoke after a 3 hour fuckfest" - 62strat

st.louis 04, chicago 06, and counting...
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    I'm guessing Tim doesn't want Doug Christie on his team... if anyone in the NBA is gay... it's Doug Christie.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Just read an article on Espn from Gene Wojewhatever about how this is all ridiculous and nobody will care a week from now, and so what if Tim Hardaway hates gays, big deal, right? Well, in a perfect, evenly-loved/evenly hated community, I would agree. However, I have this strange feeling of hypocrisy with the media. While it is a new story what Hardaway said, I see less outrage towards what he has said (by the media) than I do a discussion about whether or not we should care about Hardaway's 'outburst'.

At the slightest mention of someone criticizing Christianity or even suggesting that maybe fanatic Christians are pushing their beliefs down others' throats, these people are lambasted in the media by the likes of Bill O'Reilly, Limbaugh and yes the 'liberal' mainstream press. So much more airtime is given to pointing out those who 'blog' about their dislike of Christian fanatics, or those concerned about Christian views in public and/or legal institutions, and they are demonized for having a much less demonstrable opinion than that of Mr. Hardaway.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I hope I see the same, if not more, 'moral' outrage from the likes of Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity, Limbaugh and the mainstream 'liberal' :rolleyes: media that I do with all the Christian 'wrongs' that they point out.
    24 years old, mid-life crisis
    nowadays hits you when you're young
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    I'm guessing Tim doesn't want Doug Christie on his team... if anyone in the NBA is gay... it's Doug Christie.

Anyone who's that pussy-whipped to his wife has some serious issues. Don't think he's gay though.
  • Options
    I guess what I'm trying to say is that I hope I see the same, if not more, 'moral' outrage from the likes of Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity, Limbaugh and the mainstream 'liberal' :rolleyes: media that I do with all the Christian 'wrongs' that they point out.

are you trying to say that people like bill o'reilly are mainstream 'liberal', or are you just including mainstream 'liberal' to that list?
    i gather speed...from u fucking with me

"i am the first man to shit my pants ya whew!"

its no crime to escape..theres still time to escape...theres still time so escape...

"yellow ledbetter is like the smoke after a 3 hour fuckfest" - 62strat

st.louis 04, chicago 06, and counting...
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Anyone who's that pussy-whipped to his wife has some serious issues. Don't think he's gay though.
    Oh... he's gay. He HAS to be. Even gay guys wouldn't put up with that shit... that's how gay he is.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    Drew263 wrote:

similar? no. comparable? probably. blacks were no slaves in the 1960's, did that mean they shouldn't have been upset about being discriminated against in your state? homosexuals now are in similar positions to african-americans in the 1960's... legally "equal" but subject to discrimination at will. no, you cannot hide being black, but homosexuals shouldn't have to hide being gay. if you COULD have hidden being black, do you think african-americans SHOULD have had to to receive equal treatment? would it then be ok to discriminate against blacks and tell them that if they wanted to be treated equally they had to hide who they are?
  • Options
    or are you just including mainstream 'liberal' to that list?

Bingo