Options

Tim Hardaway on Gays

ThumbingMyWay32ThumbingMyWay32 Posts: 1,226
edited February 2007 in A Moving Train
Absolutely hilarious! Atleast he's honest I guess...

Ohh and by the way, he has apologized, so I guess everything's O.K. now.

From AP story:

Former Miami Heat guard Tim Hardaway said on a radio show Wednesday afternoon that he would not want a gay player on his team.

"You know, I hate gay people, so I let it be known," Hardaway said. "I don't like gay people and I don't like to be around gay people. I am homophobic. I don't like it. It shouldn't be in the world or in the United States."

Hardaway was a guest of Miami Herald columnist Dan Le Betard on the Miami radio show Sports Talk 790 and was asked how he would deal with a gay teammate. When asked if he would accept an active player's coming out, such as that of retired NBA center John Amaechi, Hardaway replied: "First of all, I wouldn't want him on my team.

"And second of all, if he was on my team, I would, you know, really distance myself from him because, uh, I don't think that's right. And you know I don't think he should be in the locker room while we're in the locker room. I wouldn't even be a part of that."

Hardaway later apologized for the remarks during a telephone interview with Fox affiliate WSVN in Miami.

"Yes, I regret it. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said I hate gay people or anything like that," he said. "That was my mistake."

Hardaway, who was in Las Vegas Tuesday at a pre-All Star Game NBA Cares outreach event, was both a coach and player for the ABA's Florida Pit Bulls in 2006.

Hardaway played for five NBA teams from 1990-2003 and was a five-time All-Star. He finished with averages of 17.7 points and 8.2 assists.
"Sarcasm: intellect on the offensive"

"What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact."

Camden 5-28-06
Washington, D.C. 6-22-08
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    well, you know what...shit, i might as well say it...i hate black people...i don't think it's right...i don't want to be around them...i'm racist and i think that black people shouldn't be allowed in public places in the u.s.

i'm sorry...

i guess, now, it's okay that i'm a racist...because i said i'm sorry...

fuck you, tim hardaway...i hope you never complain when someone calls you a n***er!
    Absolutely hilarious! Atleast he's honest I guess...

Ohh and by the way, he has apologized, so I guess everything's O.K. now.

From AP story:

Former Miami Heat guard Tim Hardaway said on a radio show Wednesday afternoon that he would not want a gay player on his team.

"You know, I hate gay people, so I let it be known," Hardaway said. "I don't like gay people and I don't like to be around gay people. I am homophobic. I don't like it. It shouldn't be in the world or in the United States."

Hardaway was a guest of Miami Herald columnist Dan Le Betard on the Miami radio show Sports Talk 790 and was asked how he would deal with a gay teammate. When asked if he would accept an active player's coming out, such as that of retired NBA center John Amaechi, Hardaway replied: "First of all, I wouldn't want him on my team.

"And second of all, if he was on my team, I would, you know, really distance myself from him because, uh, I don't think that's right. And you know I don't think he should be in the locker room while we're in the locker room. I wouldn't even be a part of that."

Hardaway later apologized for the remarks during a telephone interview with Fox affiliate WSVN in Miami.

"Yes, I regret it. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said I hate gay people or anything like that," he said. "That was my mistake."

Hardaway, who was in Las Vegas Tuesday at a pre-All Star Game NBA Cares outreach event, was both a coach and player for the ABA's Florida Pit Bulls in 2006.

Hardaway played for five NBA teams from 1990-2003 and was a five-time All-Star. He finished with averages of 17.7 points and 8.2 assists.
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • Options
    dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,285
    So now he doesn't hate gay people or is he just apologizing for being ballsy and saying he hates gay people out loud for all the world to hear?

Because it's okay to hate gay people. It's just not okay to say that you hate gay people.

Saying that you hate anybody is so gay. Especially gay people.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Options
    well, you know what...shit, i might as well say it...i hate black people...i don't think it's right...i don't want to be around them...i'm racist and i think that black people shouldn't be allowed in public places in the u.s.

I've got a time machine I'm just dying to sell ya!
    i'm sorry...

i guess, now, it's okay that i'm a racist...because i said i'm sorry...

fuck you, tim hardaway...i hope you never complain when someone calls you a n***er!

lol Tim would sue you for everything you own if you called him a n***er. Let alone anything else derogatory.

Camden 5-28-06
    Washington, D.C. 6-22-08
  • Options
    dharma69 wrote:
    So now he doesn't hate gay people or is he just apologizing for being ballsy and saying he hates gay people out loud for all the world to hear?

Because it's okay to hate gay people. It's just not okay to say that you hate gay people.

Saying that you hate anybody is so gay. Especially gay people.

I'm assuming he apologized for saying he hates gay people.

When will blacks in this country learn it's not nice to be racist? Errrrr homophobic?

Camden 5-28-06
    Washington, D.C. 6-22-08
  • Options
    I've got a time machine I'm just dying to sell ya!

lol Tim would sue you for everything you own if you called him a n***er. Let alone anything else derogatory.

what if i'm gay and call him a n***er?
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • Options

Well then you're just cruisin' for a bruisin' at that point.

"I KEEP IT REAL SON!"

Camden 5-28-06
    Washington, D.C. 6-22-08
  • Options
    Well then you're just cruisin' for a bruisin' at that point.

"I KEEP IT REAL SON!"

a lawsuit based on speech is not going to happen - only escalation of violence predicated by speech...in the realm of hate speech/hate crime
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Tim Hardaway might be gay, because the haters are usually the ones trying to hide something they are ashamed of..
  • Options
    Tim Hardaway might be gay, because the haters are usually the ones trying to hide something they are ashamed of..

No, that's what gay people say to someone who accuses them of being gay, to cover the fact that they're gay.

Camden 5-28-06
    Washington, D.C. 6-22-08
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    No, that's what gay people say to someone who accuses them of being gay, to cover the fact that they're gay.
    or maybe he's worried if a gay guy was on his team that he might like it and get caught taking the bait.
  • Options
    Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    My personal theory is that Tim Hardaway just wants something hard coming his way. This is just a cover, the first step on a long road to becoming a flaming homo.
  • Options
    Alex_Coe wrote:
    My personal theory is that Tim Hardaway just wants something hard coming his way. This is just a cover, the first step on a long road to becoming a flaming homo.

Well he already has the flaming black guy act down to a T.

T as in Tim Hardaway.

Camden 5-28-06
    Washington, D.C. 6-22-08
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Alex_Coe wrote:

I'm guessing he is full of self-loathing because he has funny feelings in the showers with the guys.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    Andybody who called his special move the "UTEP two-step" sounds gay to me.
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    What an idiot.

And I've never understood the whole fear of a gay man looking at you. For a straight man, it's no different than any woman that you aren't attracted to admiring you. Perhaps the people who are uncomfortable about that are the ones that aren't real sure of their own sexual identity.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    I wonder how many times Hardaway had to ask somebody else to pick up his soap when he dropped it in the shower.

Or how many times he wondered why the new power forward was staring at his schlong for more than the one second rule in the dressing room.

I find the people who are not fully into themselves seem to be the people who worry about others the most. ie: being gay
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    not4u10not4u10 Posts: 238
    08/28/98-09/01/00-12/08/02-12/09/02-04/28/03-05/03/03-07/05/03-07/06/03-07/08/03-07/09/03-07/12/03-10/01/04-10/03/05-05/13/06-05/27/06-05/28/06-06/01/06-06/03/06-06/19/08-06/25/08-10/28/09-10/31/09-05/17/10-10/19/13-10/21/13-10/27/13-4/28/16
  • Options
    my world is shattered to say the least

I have, for a number of years, looked to Tim Hardaway for leadership in all aspects of life.
    hate was just a legend
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,314
    he is a thug as most NBA players tend to be and irelevant so he needs all the publicity he can get sad asshole.........
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Staceb10Staceb10 Posts: 682
    I heard about this this morning and I thought "at least he's being honest". I don't agree with him but just because he's famous doesn't mean he has to be tolerant of or like homosexuality. It does make it hard for him to say anything about racism though.
  • Options
    Drew263Drew263 Birmingham, AL Posts: 602

hang on...I disagree with what TH said..but are you really comparing the struggle of African Americans in this country to gays?
  • Options
    Drew263 wrote:
    hang on...I disagree with what TH said..but are you really comparing the struggle of African Americans in this country to gays?

No, he was being facetious.

Camden 5-28-06
    Washington, D.C. 6-22-08
  • Options
    Drew263Drew263 Birmingham, AL Posts: 602
    No, he was being facetious.

In that case, my bad. I have read that comparison multiple times this morning and I find it absurd.
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Tim Hardaway, Mike Tyson, OJ Simpson................three of the most inspiring black athletes this world has seen............................If only they could be a little more like Mike :)
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,504
    I don't agree with his stance but can, in a way, understand a bit of the locker room situation. I don't know what the difference would be between having a gay male in the men's locker room vs. having a straight male in the cheerleader's locker room. Any thoughts?
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    BubbaBirchBubbaBirch Posts: 1,977
    What an ignorant stupid comment. I was listening to ESPN radio this morning about this. Its one thing to come out and say you hate gay people, but then to follow it up by saying "They dont belong in the United States."....WTF is that?? So I guess if someone came up to Hardaway and said "Hey, I hate black people, they dont belong in the US" and then they apologized, that supposedly makes everything ok?!?

Yes he has a right to his opinion...but the part that took me over the edge was the whole "they dont belong in the US" part of it...I mean, c'mon.

LOL.....I had to laugh everytime they replayed his comments because how can someone be so ignorant!?!?

And as far as having a gay person in the locker room, yeah Im guessing it would be a little uncomfortable, but heck, its not like they are convicted sexual predators or something like that that they are going to gang rape ya in the shower!! LOL
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    Bubba wrote:
    And as far as having a gay person in the locker room, yeah Im guessing it would be a little uncomfortable, but heck, its not like they are convicted sexual predators or something like that that they are going to gang rape ya in the shower!! LOL

I think a lot of cheerleaders wouldn't like a straight guy with them in the showers either, even though they're not sexual predators.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    BubbaBirchBubbaBirch Posts: 1,977
    Collin wrote:
    I think a lot of cheerleaders wouldn't like a straight guy with them in the showers either, even though they're not sexual predators.

True......funny, you never hear about any of these issues in the WNBA where you know a good portion of the ladies are probably lesbians but no one ever complains about them showering together...LOL

I mean, John Amechi was in the NBA for how many years, 5 and no one had a problem with him being in the locker room or showers becuase they didnt know anything different. He didnt intentionally throw other guys soap on the floor and jump them from behind or anything like that, but now that he came out, he'd never be able to play in the league again because of this.
  • Options
    African Americans have no control over their skin color (Mike Jackson = exception)

Homosexual men have no control over thier being gay. (I am a straight man and I cannot remember looking at men and women during my early teenage years or whenever and saying to myself, "I think I'll pick women". It's just the way my brain was wired. I imagine its the same for a gay man/woman?)

So yes, here is definately similiarity with the human rights struggles of African Americans and Homosexuals. They are being discriminated against because of something they have absolutely no control over.

If it were not for the civil rights movement and the struggles of the African American and Women, I would not be suprised if this country discriminated against gays and prvented them from voting, owning land, using the same bathrooms as "straights" etc.

Tim Hardaway...just another asshole showing how much of an asshole he is to a lot more people than the usual asshole.
    All that's sacred, comes from youth....dedications, naive and true.
  • Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    Bubba wrote:

I played hockey with a guy for a good 10 to 12 years and not once did he talk about women, bring a woman to any game, or even cut too many comments on the cute waitresses at the bars we would go to after the game. But the guy could sure play hockey. We just accepted that if he was gay, it wasn't our business to worry about it at all. Not one of us ever felt so uncomfortable to not shower when the guy was in the stalls. We were all good friends and still are to this day.

Heaven forbid a good player on a team sport being gay and ruining the whole gay thing of male bonding. :)
    You've changed your place in this world!