what would you do....

13»

Comments

• hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    Anyone who loves my daughter, treats her well, and makes her happy is OK by me. Age, race, gender, etc. ... none of that is relevant.

I wouldn't vote for Condi no matter who she was married to, but I have in the past voted for gay candidates. I would very much like to see a reality TV show about the Condi-Whoopi household though.

The top person at my company is straight, to the best of my knowledge, but we have gay people in very high-ranking, high-paying positions here. The gay people I know are doing quite well in their careers, and none of them are in show business.

Just a heads-up, in case you were not aware ... use of the word "homos" should be avoided unless you are being deliberately insulting and disrespectful.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • but i am yet to be supplied with one esample of a Mr and Mr Smith or a Mrs and Mrs Smith heading a company or being one of the ministers of a country. i have never ever seen any minister anywhere in the world being accompanied by his/her same sex partner.

Is there a point to this question you're asking?
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    its very cool to declare that you have no problems with them, or with some other phenomena (eg - someone becomming a drug addict. he is not harming anyone, so you dont have a prob). but what if someone you hold dear becomes a drug addict?? it wont be so easy to take that in your stride. similarly with homosexuality. i dont think so i can entirely digest it, if in future my son wanted to marry a guy or daughter wanted to marry a woman. i dont know what i would do if such a situation faces me. so i asked others how they would react.

i dont think anybody here condones drug addiction. there's a world of difference between saying "they're not hurting anyone" for casual drug users and saying "addicts are fine." addicts DO tend to harm others. that's like saying anyone who drinks is an alcoholic.

likewise, id have no problem with my child being homosexual. wouldnt matter a damn to me and it never has. i WOULD have a problem is my child was a nymphomaniac... an unhealthy sexuality that caused them to engage in risky and dangerous practices. i dont view homoesexuality as something harmful to the person of their partner or anybody else.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    i dont think anybody here condones drug addiction. there's a world of difference between saying "they're not hurting anyone" for casual drug users and saying "addicts are fine." addicts DO tend to harm others. that's like saying anyone who drinks is an alcoholic.

likewise, id have no problem with my child being homosexual. wouldnt matter a damn to me and it never has. i WOULD have a problem is my child was a nymphomaniac... an unhealthy sexuality that caused them to engage in risky and dangerous practices. i dont view homoesexuality as something harmful to the person of their partner or anybody else.

Exactly.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    no its of no interest.

i dont have anything against them from any standpoint (eg - religious). but i am indeed against alowing them to riase kids. the reason i say that is because i cant see myself in those shoes. i mean its all cool to say "as long as they are not harming anyone, they can do what they please". but how would you enjoy having 2 dads or 2 moms?? i dont think any child deserves that.

the reason i started this thread comes from the same reason. its very cool to declare that you have no problems with them, or with some other phenomena (eg - someone becomming a drug addict. he is not harming anyone, so you dont have a prob). but what if someone you hold dear becomes a drug addict?? it wont be so easy to take that in your stride. similarly with homosexuality. i dont think so i can entirely digest it, if in future my son wanted to marry a guy or daughter wanted to marry a woman. i dont know what i would do if such a situation faces me. so i asked others how they would react.

obviously, it is of interest..or you wouldn't continually start threads discussing them. :)

and yea, it was kinda obvious your stance on 'them' raising children...was not a subtle point you were making, and sure, i vehemently disagreee with you. however, that's the beauty of opinions, we're all allowed to have our own.

btw - your drug addict comparison holds no water. he/she is harming no one? sure they are, they are harming themselves...thus, i would definitely have a problem with it. and again, how would i feel about 2 dads or 2 moms?...same as having a mom and a dad, or just a mom, or just a dad, or grandparents, foster parents, etc. if they provided me with a loving/supportive home environment, i'd think i am lucky...and thankful to have parents who have my best interest at heart. meaning, a loving home environment. the rest, a non-issue in my mind. :) but, we already discussed all that.

anyway, we obviously view homosexuality in a very different light. to me, sexual orientation is not a very important thing in the scheme of things, just one part of who you are...a complete non-issue.

i was merely curious why you continued to bring up this subject in various ways, seems a common theme in many of your threads..so just wondered where it all stemmed from, nothing more.

c'est la vie.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• IndianSummerIndianSummer Posts: 854
    hippiemom wrote:
    I would very much like to see a reality TV show about the Condi-Whoopi household though.

The top person at my company is straight, to the best of my knowledge, but we have gay people in very high-ranking, high-paying positions here. The gay people I know are doing quite well in their careers, and none of them are in show business.

Just a heads-up, in case you were not aware ... use of the word "homos" should be avoided unless you are being deliberately insulting and disrespectful.

your sense of humour is well appreciated, from the other end of the world. is "The Rice-Bergs" a nice name?

and no i didnt mean "homos" in an offensive way.

and thanks for clarifying that there are in fact openly married (with same sex) gay people in the upper rungs of society.
    I have faced it, A life wasted...

Take my hand, my child of love
    Come step inside my tears
    Swim the magic ocean,
    I've been crying all these years
    btw - your drug addict comparison holds no water.
    i was just giving an example, not drawing an analogy. still i'll concede i could have done better.

Swim the magic ocean,
  • inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    surely you zest !!

but i am yet to be supplied with one esample of a Mr and Mr Smith or a Mrs and Mrs Smith heading a company or being one of the ministers of a country. i have never ever seen any minister anywhere in the world being accompanied by his/her same sex partner.

I am not zesting and don't call me surely...

I'm pretty sure the founder of Out Magazine may be the person you are looking for...as for leaders of state...who cares...? how do you know there are none...?
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    I'm sure I'd be supportive if I had a child who was gay although I admit I'd probably be a little weided out.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • OutOfBreathOutOfBreath Posts: 1,804
    not quite. just trying to see if homos really make it to the top of the political/corporate ladder or are allowed to.

Well, here's a good one for you. The minister of finance of the last cabinet that lost the election last year, was gay, AND from the conservatives. How about that? ;) Our glossys even had the lame pictures and stuff with him and his partner like they will any celebrity with spouse really. I think they have a civil union too. And you know what, it rarely crossed my mind seeing him on tv talking about the economy of the country etc. I hated him for political reasons though. :)

And I really think it says it all when you compare homosexuality with hard drug addiction... I mean, come on. I would care and have a hard time with a close one becoming a junkie, but the scenarios doesn't match even halfway. But you know, my son becomes a junkie, I'll have to deal with that. That I would try to get him out of, because it hurts him and ruins his opportunities in life. Somehow being gay isn't remotely in the same ballpark.

And had i been raised by two moms or dads, I suppose I would be cool with that. Then it would have been a part of me, and I wouldn't think much of it. I dont see why the sex of the persons caring for a kid has any say on the matter.

But so far, if your point was to "Well, let's see how you'd like it if it happened to you" and prove a point, you really havent. 99% of responses have been along the lines of "surprised, but would deal with it and make the best of it".

Here's to gay adoption, that we hopefully will have in norway soon with the current government.

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965
  • AbuskedtiAbuskedti Posts: 1,917
    .... and how would you react, if you learnt that your son or daughter is a homosexual???

would you freak out?? would you be able to take that in your stride??

you know its one thing to sit from a distance and watch the entire "gay rights" and its anti-thesis "anti homosesuality" factions fight it out, but things change dramatically once you are forced to run in those shoes.

for example would you be lookign forward to having a SON in law for your SON ... or a daughter in law for your daughter??

I love my kids. they are 18 years old now. If I were to learn they were homosexual - and kept it secret all this time - I'd been deeply ashamed of myself that they didn't have enough trust in me to tell me earlier. I would then do whatever I could to learn about - for my own understanding - so I could be a good father - and at least have a better understanding of them

but yup... it wouldn't be different, for me, than learning anything else about them.......
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    But so far, if your point was to "Well, let's see how you'd like it if it happened to you" and prove a point, you really havent. 99% of responses have been along the lines of "surprised, but would deal with it and make the best of it".

exactly. and damn, isn't that most of life? what if your son/daughter falls in love with a man/woman who while perfectly good to your child, you just can't stand/despise? you deal...no matter what.

seriously, FAR worse things than a homosexual son or daugher...a son/daughet-in-law of the same sex, etc. yes, a child that's a junkie seems a good example of something of course that you'd try to help, but something you'd not wish or be happy about for your child....sister/brother/friend....etc. being homosexual and finding someone to love and who loves them back?....seems cause for celebration, as is usually the case when love is present. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    surely you zest !!

but i am yet to be supplied with one esample of a Mr and Mr Smith or a Mrs and Mrs Smith heading a company or being one of the ministers of a country. i have never ever seen any minister anywhere in the world being accompanied by his/her same sex partner.

We have a gay senator - he's been a senator for years and openly gay and pretty popular.

There is also a gay minister, I can't remember who he is though. And why would a leader have to have a partner anyway? Our Taoiseach when voted in was split from his wife and living in sin with another woman :eek: . He's now single - we don't vote for them on the basis of who their dating. In fact, I wouldn't recognise the Presidents husband if I met him - he's a doctor or a lecturer or something, NOT the leader of our country.

anyway, it sounds like you have HUGE issues with this.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    inmytree wrote:
    I am not zesting

LMFAO :D:D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
    And I really think it says it all when you compare homosexuality with hard drug addiction... I mean, come on

do you even read the thread or just talk from your posterior??

when did i compare the two. i wasnt even drawing an analogy, just giving an example. and i conceded that i could have come up with a better example.

Swim the magic ocean,

when did i compare the two. i wasnt even drawing an analogy, just giving an example. and i conceded that i could have come up with a better example.

then please do. becos the response was overwhelmingly that, yes, we would try to intervene if it was a threat to our child's safety or future or life. homoesexuality is not such a threat. so perhaps a different example might make it more clear what you mean exactly?
    then please do. becos the response was overwhelmingly that, yes, we would try to intervene if it was a threat to our child's safety or future or life. homoesexuality is not such a threat. so perhaps a different example might make it more clear what you mean exactly?
    lets do without an example in this thread.

yes i have already received clear cut answers from most of of the posters.

Swim the magic ocean,
  • OutOfBreathOutOfBreath Posts: 1,804

I have read the thread, and the way I read your post, it was an example of "other deviant behaviour" that would implicitly pose the problem of "if we want to stop that, why not homosexuality". Hence, you implicitly place homosexuality and drug addiction in the same ballpark. You may not have intended that, but that's how it reads.

The example could definitely have been better, yes.

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965
    I have read the thread, and the way I read your post, it was an example of "other deviant behaviour" that would implicitly pose the problem of "if we want to stop that, why not homosexuality". Hence, you implicitly place homosexuality and drug addiction in the same ballpark. You may not have intended that, but that's how it reads.

The example could definitely have been better, yes.

Peace
    Dan

i think this about sums it up. there are many devious behaviors, but just becos something is "deviant" does not make it bad or undesirable. drug abuse is a dangerous deviant behavior and would elicit a response. careless, casual sex would also. but homosexuality itself, would not, just as moderate social drinking would not.

the issue here is whether or not you find homosexuality to be simply a minority lifestyle, or whether you find it dangerous, repugnant, or offensive.
    the issue here is whether or not you find homosexuality to be simply a minority lifestyle, or whether you find it dangerous, repugnant, or offensive.
    i find it neither dangerous, repungant or offensive.

yet i dont think i would find it at all easy to take it in my stride if in future a homosexual male or female is born to my family.

Swim the magic ocean,