what would you do....

Comments

• thankyougrandmathankyougrandma Posts: 1,182
    I'd put him in a psych institute and pray god for him to come back free of that mental illness... if it's a girl it's ok, lesbians are ok

hehehe, no i don't have kids, i would probably be surprise or stunned for a week or two then i'd get over it and would invite the new gay couples at home for a nice dinner.
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • IndianSummerIndianSummer Posts: 854
    can anyone name that funny film where the dad went mad learning the son was gay or similar??
    I have faced it, A life wasted...

Take my hand, my child of love
    Come step inside my tears
    Swim the magic ocean,
    I've been crying all these years
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I would take it completely in stride. The ONLY thing I want for my kids is for them to be happy and independent by the time I die. I don't need to be a grandma, I don't need to have a son-in-law, nothing. Those girls are my gift, and are separate people that were entrusted to me for a short time.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
    tell me, in the 18ct century and before that. whayt did homosexuals do???

did they stay single, or did they somehow force themselves to marry someone from the other sex??? cos surely they could not have come out in the open with it, let alone marry someone of the same sex.

Swim the magic ocean,
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    I don't think that anyone can honestly say they wouldn't initially be a bit shocked if they heard that their son or daughter was gay. I think that goes without saying, although I could be wrong? Although, personally, once I'd allowed it to sink in, I'd be supportive of him/her. You can't just dismiss a son or daughter for something like that. Blood/love goes deeper than that. The thing that every parent ultimately wants is for their child to be happy, and so if it turns out that the child is of a different sexual persuasion then so be it. I suppose the thing that the parent would have to keep in mind is that when al is said and done, it's not about the parent - is not, finally, the parents business. It's about the son/daughter, and their choices and decisions, and happiness. Period.
  • gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    I am many years off from having a kid, but when I do, I want them to be happy. Whatever they want is ok with me. I personally think the biggest problem, however, would not be between me and my child, but my child and his/her grandparents and rest of family.

That's an interesting twist. How would you deal with that?
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • given2fly78given2fly78 Posts: 404
    I don't really have an answer to that question. I don't have kids but I would like to. I'm 28 now and hope to have children within the next few years. When I was a kid, being gay was not something I was exposed to. When I was in my teens, it was slowly becoming more talked about. At first, I was grossed out (as only a teenager can be LOL). In my late teens, as I became exposed to different people in college, it became no big deal. Now, I don't think twice about gays & lesbians. To each their own, everyone should be in love!

I think that our views change as time passes on. If I have kids by the time I'm 30, and they tell me they are gay when they are 18 I'll be 48. I'll probably feel much different about it than I may feel now, you know?

Right now, to be completely honest I might be a little shocked - based on my feelings TODAY. More because, even though I fully support gay & lesbians, it's not something I would "expect". And I don't mean that in a bad way. I just would, without putting any thought into it, expect them to be heterosexual. Maybe because I am, and because all of our family is and because that's what I'm used to.

I would welcome their partner into our home and our family. I would support their relationship. I will bring my children up in a household that does not hate anyone and that embraces diversity. And I would respect their feelings. And if I was disappointed, I would never EVER let my child know that I feel that way.

I would just hope, that I too would be a grandma someday. And, I would hope that being the child of a gay or lesbian couple would not be something that cruel children would mock!
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. "
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I saw Hard To Imagine LIVE at MSG!
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    seeing as i don't have children nor will i ever, i can only hypothesize. that said, i think i would be fully supportive. as many have already mentioned, my greatest desire would be for them to be happy. i mean, one need not have a child...could be your best friend, your brother/sister...and faced with that same reality. as long as they are loved, i would be happy. :) the more accepting we as a society become, the more it becomes the non-issue that it should be.

tell me, in the 18ct century and before that. whayt did homosexuals do???

did they stay single, or did they somehow force themselves to marry someone from the other sex??? cos surely they could not have come out in the open with it, let alone marry someone of the same sex.

i believe many did marry as they were 'supposed' to do, and led double lives. hell, you don't even have to go that far back...i know couples alive today who did the same, and 'came out' later. personally, i am glad that while we are not quite where we should be...we are at least moving in the right direction, of acceptance..of allowing people not to live a lie, but to follow their true desires...seems far more healthy imho.

if i may ask...why such the curiosity? homosexuality seems to be of great interest to you...any particular reason?
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    oscar wilde was camp as row of tents and he had a wife and children.
    of course his homosexual love for lord bosie got him thrown in jail by the hypocritical classes.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • denverfandenverfan Posts: 218
    .... and how would you react, if you learnt that your son or daughter is a homosexual???

would you freak out?? would you be able to take that in your stride??

you know its one thing to sit from a distance and watch the entire "gay rights" and its anti-thesis "anti homosesuality" factions fight it out, but things change dramatically once you are forced to run in those shoes.

for example would you be lookign forward to having a SON in law for your SON ... or a daughter in law for your daughter??

When (I should say if) I have a kid and if they should they be homosexual, then it will be the same as if they werent...whats the difference? Love unconditionally...and if you think otherwise...think first about yanking kids out of your or your sposes crotch!
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity but they've always worked for me." Gonzo

'If my fuckin' ex-wife told me to take care of her dog while her and her new boyfriend went to Honolulu, I'd tell her to go fuck herself." -The Dude

Whisky Drinker, Non-Hunter from Denver.
  • even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    If the holy water that I would shower "it" with didn't burn the number "666" into "it's" body. Then I would raise "it" like a normal human who dosen't swing the "right" way. And shower "it" with love.
    You've changed your place in this world!
    i believe many did marry as they were 'supposed' to do, and led double lives. hell, you don't even have to go that far back...i know couples alive today who did the same, and 'came out' later. personally, i am glad that while we are not quite where we should be...we are at least moving in the right direction, of acceptance..of allowing people not to live a lie, but to follow their true desires...seems far more healthy imho.

if i may ask...why such the curiosity? homosexuality seems to be of great interest to you...any particular reason?

no its of no interest.

i dont have anything against them from any standpoint (eg - religious). but i am indeed against alowing them to riase kids. the reason i say that is because i cant see myself in those shoes. i mean its all cool to say "as long as they are not harming anyone, they can do what they please". but how would you enjoy having 2 dads or 2 moms?? i dont think any child deserves that.

the reason i started this thread comes from the same reason. its very cool to declare that you have no problems with them, or with some other phenomena (eg - someone becomming a drug addict. he is not harming anyone, so you dont have a prob). but what if someone you hold dear becomes a drug addict?? it wont be so easy to take that in your stride. similarly with homosexuality. i dont think so i can entirely digest it, if in future my son wanted to marry a guy or daughter wanted to marry a woman. i dont know what i would do if such a situation faces me. so i asked others how they would react.

Swim the magic ocean,
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    Im sure i wouldnt be so happy about it just for the reason that it's not easy being a homosexual in this society. But I wouldnt be mad and just try to be supportive.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    I would give my children my full support. Hetero or homo, they're still my babies. I have to admit that I would be weirded out if my daughter told me she was lesbian, but not if my son told me he was gay. I still haven't quite figured out this lesbianism thing yet.
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    I would dissown them...then I would cry and cry, blaming myself for being a terrible parent...then I would pray to jesus, asking him to forgive my child for their sins...how dare they go against the laws of nature...!?!!? screw happiness and acceptance...damn it all to hell, I say...

then I would go get a pizza or a salad, depending on my mood...
    does anyone know of any country which has allowed a Mr/Mrs and Mr/Mrs Soandso to be one of their ministers, or a big company wich has allowed a Mr/mrs and mr/mrs Soandso to be their top honcho??

the only homo couples i know of are in showbiz.

Swim the magic ocean,
  • "i Love My Dead Gay Son!"
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
    does anyone know of any country which has allowed a Mr/Mrs and Mr/Mrs Soandso to be one of their ministers, or a big company wich has allowed a Mr/mrs and mr/mrs Soandso to be their top honcho??

the only homo couples i know of are in showbiz.

I think the Ivory Coast and Peru....maybe Iceland...why do you ask? are you looking for better oppertunites for you and yours...?
  • PaperPlatesPaperPlates Posts: 1,745
    brain of c wrote:
    we'd have a gay old time.

Again, you are my favorite poster. Thanks for always making me laugh.

Im not sure how Id react. Kinda like asking how you'd act if you won a billion dollars. You really dont know until it happens.
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
    inmytree wrote:
    I think the Ivory Coast and Peru....maybe Iceland...why do you ask? are you looking for better oppertunites for you and yours...?
    not quite. just trying to see if homos really make it to the top of the political/corporate ladder or are allowed to.

Swim the magic ocean,
  • rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    not quite. just trying to see if homos really make it to the top of the political/corporate ladder or are allowed to.

Homos, eh?

Anyhow, to answer your question, no, having a homosexual kid wouldn't bother me.
  • PaperPlatesPaperPlates Posts: 1,745

Ive heard they love being called "homos".
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • not quite. just trying to see if homos really make it to the top of the political/corporate ladder or are allowed to.

Well, we have at least one gay congressman, and I'd imagine that there are quite a few successful executives who are gay. In fact, I'm guessing that there are successful gay people in most types of job. Isn't that wacky?? It's almost like they're people or something!
  • rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    Well, we have at least one gay congressman, and I'd imagine that there are quite a few successful executives who are gay. In fact, I'm guessing that there are successful gay people in most types of job. Isn't that wacky?? It's almost like they're people or something!

Surely you jest!

;)
    Homos, eh?

Anyhow, to answer your question, no, having a homosexual kid wouldn't bother me.
    yeah shortforms are handy.

so how some no one knows of any mr and mr or mrs or mrs something in any top corporate/political position, when supposedly they have equal rights and treated as normal.

would you vote for a presidential candidate if he/she turned out to be Mr/Mrs soandso and had a same sex partner??

would you vote for condy if she was married to whoopy goldberg??

Swim the magic ocean,
  • yeah shortforms are handy.

so how some no one knows of any mr and mr or mrs or mrs something in any top corporate/political position, when supposedly they have equal rights and treated as normal.

would you vote for a presidential candidate if he/she turned out to be Mr/Mrs soandso and had a same sex partner??

would you vote for condy if she was married to whoopy goldberg??

i wouldn't vote for condi for many reasons, none of which have anything to do with her sexual preference.

did you ever stop to think that there may, in fact, be many politicians/Corporate people who gay but don't broadcast their bedroom behavior...?

by the way, I've found that those who are most opposed to something tend to be the very thing they oppose...

it's ok, you'll find support here..
    inmytree wrote:
    by the way, I've found that those who are most opposed to something tend to be the very thing they oppose...

it's ok, you'll find support here..
    surely you zest !!

but i am yet to be supplied with one esample of a Mr and Mr Smith or a Mrs and Mrs Smith heading a company or being one of the ministers of a country. i have never ever seen any minister anywhere in the world being accompanied by his/her same sex partner.

Swim the magic ocean,
  • _Crazy_Mary__Crazy_Mary_ Posts: 1,299
    I have 3 daughters. If one of them tells me she is gay, I'll be happy for her.
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    i would take it in stride and still love, accept and support them...as for a son in law or daughter in law...as long as my kid was happy and the person was good to them and treated them right then i wouldn't care
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way