'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    Danimal wrote:
    I wish dogs and cats were acceptable to eat because I am getting bored with pigs and cows. I need NEW meat! New animals to eat!

If humans tasted good I would probably eat them too.

Actually in some cultures they are.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • faithful2youfaithful2you Madison, WI Posts: 778
    Speaking of meat......my wife just brought home some more buffalo meat last night.....oh that so good.
    Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    The Champ wrote:

That guy is my hero. Did someone say hero? I think I will go get a steak and cheese!
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
    Speaking of meat......my wife just brought home some more buffalo meat last night.....oh that so good.

I've had buffalo. It is good. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    Danimal wrote:
    That guy is my hero. Did someone say hero? I think I will go get a steak and cheese!

Did you notice the little stack of pickles on top? That fucker is in the zone..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • skyeriverwinterskyeriverwinter Posts: 1,894
    edited October 2010
    Post edited by skyeriverwinter on
  • most of these veg people you speak of are new to vegetarianism. I was like this the first two years. now after being veg for 21 years I only tell when asked.

I am veg from birth. My last 100 generations (brahmins) were veg. Most of my friends eat meat. I am a software engg in India and deal with americans and europeans everyday. I love people and I love to speak my mind.
  • halvhalv Posts: 675
    most of these veg people you speak of are new to vegetarianism. I was like this the first two years. now after being veg for 21 years I only tell when asked.

Why should someone have a sense of humour about something they find immoral and cruel? If someone supported Mothers Against Drunk Driving on this board would it be ok for someone to write "I can't wait to get pissed tonight so I can drive my car into a group of children"...would that be funny? Should the MADD supporter just laugh that off?

Debate is great. We might not all agree (obviously), but try to have some respect for others views. As a vegan I have to put up with comments all day long and after awhile it starts to get to you.
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    I respect the band a million times more after finding out Eddie being a vegetarian and his support for PETA. It is good to know that people can stand up for good causes even when they are eddie vedder. It's just so easy to forget the plight of animals when you are a millionaire and everything going for you. It's easy to forget their suffering when there are so many other cool themes like world hunger, war etc to stick up for.

http://pearljam.com/i/tourphotos/20060902/5.jpg

Note the shoes.... enough said.

All this debate and some holier than thou attitudes is silly. I eat meat, I love animals and I am kind to animals. Is that not possible? I know a lot of 'true' vegetarians (not those that will eat fish or maybe even a bit of chicken...) and chose to be because of the welfare of animals, that wear leather. Shouldn't that be totally wrong? Maybe not.

I respect the band because they are incredibly creative and talented. Causes they support have my support as well, but I wouldn't lose respect if they were hard line conservatives but played the same music (but then would the lyrics be the same?). Music is what they are about.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    So you're saying people whom hold opinions should not take their own opinions seriously? I don't get it?

Whats the point of an opinion then?

They say the easiest way to address an opinion that differs from your own is to belittle it through humor..

That said.. I want a burger! :p

no, people who think their opinion is gospel and all should live by it should not be taken seriously. if they can't laugh or joke about their beliefs, then im going to be poking fun at them. im being dead serious when i say 99% of the world's problems are caused by people with no sense of humor who take themselves too seriously. from fanatical islam to pat robertson and his nutty christians to peta and so on and so forth. your beliefs and opinions can be taken perfectly seriously without having a condescending air of self-righteousness about them.
  • pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Shillington, PA/Tuckerton, NJ Posts: 3,428
    He's weak without meat 3 times a day??? Does he eat steak for breakfast?.. Thats a little odd. Maybe he should see a doctor. Nothing wrong with meat. We've evolved with it as part of our diet. PART.. not our whole diet.. and its not that far back that it wasn't part of our diet at all.. I probably eat meat 1 to 2 times a day, but I wouldn't get "weak" if I didn't.

You don't need meat to be healthy. The only good thing from meat is protein, and that can be obtained from nuts and beans.

P.S. If he's feeling weak, he should eat more carbohydrates and granola bars.. or see a doctor. Meat 3 times a day, especially red meat could eventually lead to heart disease.

actually, he does eat steak for breakfast sometimes...he's a pro athlete and a protein type. when he eats meat, he feels good. when he eats carbs, he gets tired. i'm a carb type-i feel great when i eat carbs. sometimes when I eat meat I don't feel well.
    meat/protein includes eggs/beans, so eating it 3 times a day is pretty easy. when someone is healthy, they listen to their body and know what's good for it.

if you're eating high quality meat, there's no reason why you can't eat it often. The incidences of disease, such as heart disease, have increased with the "modern" diet (genetically modified, processed foods, fast foods, etc).

i know people who think they're healthy because they work out 5 times a week and look good...then they eat mcdonald's burgers for dinner--now, tell me that's healthy!? it's all about balance...
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • mfc22mfc22 Posts: 106
    whether or not you eat meat, i think it insane to respect pearl jam more for supporting what is close to a domestic terrorist group. furthermore, not all animals that are eventually processed into meat are treated poorly. take a drive through middle america and you will see countless cattle farms, with heards between 20 and 50. these farmers treat their animals very well. and ted turner owns over 150,000 acres that he farms free range bison on. they just live like a free bufalo until it is their turn. just boycot shit like mcdonalds.
    ...if she's gone i can't go on feelin' 2 foot small...
  • pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Shillington, PA/Tuckerton, NJ Posts: 3,428
    mfc22 wrote:
    whether or not you eat meat, i think it insane to respect pearl jam more for supporting what is close to a domestic terrorist group. furthermore, not all animals that are eventually processed into meat are treated poorly. take a drive through middle america and you will see countless cattle farms, with heards between 20 and 50. these farmers treat their animals very well. and ted turner owns over 150,000 acres that he farms free range bison on. they just live like a free bufalo until it is their turn. just boycot shit like mcdonalds.

good point...support the good stuff, boycott the bad.
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
    thank you for agreeing pearljgirl. this is really apointless debate and a PETA is a pointless cause. everbody seems to forget that the root of the word "humane" is "human", not cow or chicken. the big difference between humans and these types of animals is cognative reasoning. neither a cow or chicken can think beyond basic animal instinct, such as food, shelter, protect the young, reproduce, ect. their brains do not have the capacity to think, boy this owner treats me like shit. nor do their brains have the capacity to feel pain like we do. furthermore, people will never stop eating meat entirely. as a supporter of vegans said earlier, "we are a civilization". therefore we will do what we need to survive as a group. farmers depend on selling their cattle, ect. to survive. and think about this, say we quit slaughtering cattle for a couple years. where would they all go. slaughter is a form of population control. cows aren't on the endangered species list last i checked. thank you for listening.

free tibet!!!
  • PETA's Dirty Secret
    7 Things You Didn't Know About PETA
    By ConsumerFreedom.com

Sunday, January 28, 2007

1) PETA president and co-founder Ingrid Newkirk has described her group's overall goal as "total animal liberation." This means no meat, no milk, no zoos, no circuses, no wool, no leather, no hunting, no fishing, and no pets (not even seeing-eye dogs). PETA is also against all medical research that requires the use of animals.

2) Despite its constant moralizing about the "unethical" treatment of animals by restaurant owners, grocers, farmers, scientists, anglers, and countless other Americans, PETA has killed over 14,400 dogs and cats at its Norfolk, Virginia headquarters. During 2005, PETA put to death over 90 percent of the animals it collected from members of the public.

3) PETA has given tens of thousands of dollars to convicted arsonists and other violent criminals. This includes a 2001 donation of $1,500 to the North American Earth Liberation Front (ELF), an FBI-certified "domestic terrorist" group responsible for dozens of firebombs and death threats. During the 1990s, PETA paid $70,200 to an Animal Liberation Front (ALF) activist convicted of burning down a Michigan State University research laboratory. In his sentencing recommendation, a federal prosecutor implicated PETA president Ingrid Newkirk in that crime. And PETA vegetarian campaign coordinator Bruce Friedrich told an animal rights convention in 2001 that "blowing stuff up and smashing windows" is "a great way to bring about animal liberation."

4) PETA activists regularly target children as young as six years old with anti-meat and anti-milk propaganda, often waiting outside their schools to intercept them as they walk to and from class-without notifying parents. One piece of kid-targeted PETA literature tells small children: "Your Mommy Kills Animals!" PETA brags that its messages reach over 2 million children every year, including thousands reached by e-mail without the permission of their parents. One PETA vice president told the Fox News Channel's audience: "Our campaigns are always geared towards children, and they always will be."

5) PETA has used a related organization, the PETA Foundation, to fund the misnamed Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM), a deceptive animal rights group that promotes itself as an unbiased source of medical and nutritional information. PCRM's president also serves as president of the PETA Foundation.

6) PETA runs campaigns seemingly calculated to offend religious believers. One entire PETA website is devoted to the claim-despite ample evidence to the contrary-that Jesus Christ was a vegetarian. PETA holds protests at houses of worship, even suing one church that tried to protect its members from Sunday-morning harassment. Its billboards taunt Christians with the message that hogs "died for their sins." PETA insists, contrary to centuries of rabbinical teaching, that the Jewish ritual of kosher slaughter shouldn't be allowed. And its infamous "Holocaust on Your Plate" campaign crassly compares the Jewish victims of Nazi genocide with farm animals.

7) PETA has repeatedly attacked research foundations like the March of Dimes, the Pediatric AIDS Foundation, and the American Cancer Society, because they support animal-based research that might uncover cures for birth defects and life-threatening diseases. PETA president Ingrid Newkirk has said that "even if animal research resulted in a cure for AIDS, we would be against it."

And why is this bad?
    I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am...David Byrne, Talking Heads

Regal Theater, 1994--most amazing night ever.
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    DarbyCrash wrote:
    1) PETA president and co-founder Ingrid Newkirk has described her group's overall goal as "total animal liberation." This means no meat, no milk, no zoos, no circuses, no wool, no leather, no hunting, no fishing, and no pets (not even seeing-eye dogs). PETA is also against all medical research that requires the use of animals.

Would "liberating" all pets be totally cruel to them? I mean dogs and cats have been domesticated for thousands of years. Wouldn't releasing them into the wild basically be a cruel way to send them off to their death since many would have no idea of how to act as wild animals and would die, probably of starvation.
  • Would "liberating" all pets be totally cruel to them? I mean dogs and cats have been domesticated for thousands of years. Wouldn't releasing them into the wild basically be a cruel way to send them off to their death since many would have no idea of how to act as wild animals and would die, probably of starvation.

Of course that would be cruel. I think they are referring to a long-term goal, not tomorrow.

• Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    DarbyCrash wrote:
    Of course that would be cruel. I think they are referring to a long-term goal, not tomorrow.

Even so, some dogs have been bred so that all of the skills they have are based around doing work for humans. What is something like a sheep herding dog supposed to do if it doesn't have a shepherd to care for it? The thing is so inbred all it knows how to do is herd sheep.
  • skyeriverwinterskyeriverwinter Posts: 1,894
    edited October 2010
    Post edited by skyeriverwinter on
  • Drew263Drew263 Birmingham, AL Posts: 602
    DarbyCrash wrote:
    And why is this bad?

uhh....

Despite its constant moralizing about the "unethical" treatment of animals by restaurant owners, grocers, farmers, scientists, anglers, and countless other Americans, PETA has killed over 14,400 dogs and cats at its Norfolk, Virginia headquarters. During 2005, PETA put to death over 90 percent of the animals it collected from members of the public.

See the hypocrisy?
  • Drew263 wrote:
    uhh....

Despite its constant moralizing about the "unethical" treatment of animals by restaurant owners, grocers, farmers, scientists, anglers, and countless other Americans, PETA has killed over 14,400 dogs and cats at its Norfolk, Virginia headquarters. During 2005, PETA put to death over 90 percent of the animals it collected from members of the public.

See the hypocrisy?

Do you know WHY they euthanized them?

• TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,354
    I respect the band a million times more after finding out Eddie being a vegetarian and his support for PETA.

Give me a break.....

PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
  • mfc22 wrote:
    thank you for agreeing pearljgirl. this is really apointless debate and a PETA is a pointless cause. everbody seems to forget that the root of the word "humane" is "human", not cow or chicken. the big difference between humans and these types of animals is cognative reasoning. neither a cow or chicken can think beyond basic animal instinct, such as food, shelter, protect the young, reproduce, ect. their brains do not have the capacity to think, boy this owner treats me like shit. nor do their brains have the capacity to feel pain like we do. furthermore, people will never stop eating meat entirely. as a supporter of vegans said earlier, "we are a civilization". therefore we will do what we need to survive as a group. farmers depend on selling their cattle, ect. to survive. and think about this, say we quit slaughtering cattle for a couple years. where would they all go. slaughter is a form of population control. cows aren't on the endangered species list last i checked. thank you for listening.

free tibet!!!

Thats is untrue. Like humans animals too can feel pain. Like i said in my earlier post humans are constantly evolving unlike animals. A lot of things have changed. We have invented words like 'ethics'. We have learned to be tolerant to one-anothers culture. We have abolished slavery and slowly forgetting racism. We have made laws and respect human rights. Recently some people have decided to take up the plight of animals. We are changing, some faster than others. Slowly but steadily we are getting there.

Are you outraged by this? Do you think we have gone too far?
    Yesterday's unacceptable (divorce, premarital sex, abortion, homosexuality, group sex, domestic partnerships and, soon, same-sex marriage) are today's acceptable. It's just a matter of conditioning.
  • Whether you are a vegetarian or you eat meat the most important thing is that you are a good person. I feel we are all good people on this board (one of PJs best qualities is its fans IMO)!

-The Chief

Current top 10

Black
    Nothingman
    Release
    Long Road
    Come back
    Hail, Hail
    Up in my tree
    Alive
    Small town
    Given to fly
  • Like eddie says "It's evolution, baby"
    Push me and I will resist, this behaviour's not unique.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Thats is untrue. Like humans animals too can feel pain. Like i said in my earlier post humans are constantly evolving unlike animals. A lot of things have changed. We have invented words like 'ethics'. We have learned to be tolerant to one-anothers culture. We have abolished slavery and slowly forgetting racism. We have made laws and respect human rights. Recently some people have decided to take up the plight of animals. We are changing, some faster than others. Slowly but steadily we are getting there.

Are you outraged by this? Do you think we have gone too far?
    Yesterday's unacceptable (divorce, premarital sex, abortion, homosexuality, group sex, domestic partnerships and, soon, same-sex marriage) are today's acceptable. It's just a matter of conditioning.

No, i am not outraged by this. but animal farming is a huge part of our economy. and i realize that animals can feel pain, but animals with such small brains, such as cows and chickens, do not process pain the same way that humans do. all i am saying is that we should focus more on human rights. is that unacceptable. are you aware of what goes on in tibet? or even in this country (sex slaves, ect.)?

furthermore, if slaughter completely ceased, what would happen to animal populations? there wouldn't be enough room on earth for everyone. what is your solution, have them fixed? is that "humane"?
  • yes tibet is very close to a lot of us. We live next to them and support them. We have fought wars with china over tibet and refuge monks (incl his holiness dalai lama).