Who are pearl jam fans?

ClaySmockClaySmock Posts: 18
edited June 2006 in A Moving Train
I just came back from Camden night 2. The first night I felt sick, i couldn't believe these people were associated with pearl jam other than the way they portrayed every thing pearl jam denounce; in the first parking lot I really saw 'life wasted'. Just drunk fuck ups playing beer pong and throwing their garbage all over the place. Then during the concert when eddie was talking about the 'innocence' project, people were yelling ,"we don't care, play jeremy!!" it made me so sick. I just couldn't believe it. I am a die hard pearl jam fan and always will be. But I always feel a connection with the band and it's message, But concerts like this dilute my feelings and what pearl jam can promote. I wish eddie would have witnessed the fucking waste and 'world wide suicide' going on before the show. i wish they could have just been an underground band with out all the fuck up fans with confederate flag t-shirts and wife beaters begging for the ten songs. I felt like i didn't belong there, among all the nastiest SUV driving, ignorant Frat brothers... Night Two, I was about to sell my tickets, but at least this night they played some songs that the "frats" couldn't sings along with... 2nd night way better than the first. I just wish the people that don't realize what pearl jam was really about would stop ignorantly representing a pearl jam concert, and at least clean up after them selves... Anyone know venues or cities that actually have less of this sad display?
Do I eat them?.. raw or well done?...Do I trick them...? I don't think they're dumb...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• danedane Posts: 1,062
    I thought we lost all those "fans" around the time of Vitalogy.
    Though it's sad what you've witnessed, we cant expect every PJ fan to be a 100 % in touch with the bands values and beliefes.
    Roskilde 30-06-00
    Berlin 23-09-06
    Copenhagen 26-06-07
    :-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-
    "This is not wine that I'm drinking tonight. This is Gatorade!" EV-Copenhagen 26-06-07
  • embraceembrace Posts: 849
    Had this same thought walking back to the car- are we really such a disgusting ignorant group who relies/assumes that someone else will pick up our shit when we carelessly toss it about- don't even get me started on the lack of earth caring disposal options...The people who know what PJ is about act responsibly while still have a fucking good time and the rest are looking for a joy of moment - it will catch up with them one of these days...
    got a car...got some gas...oh let's get out of here-get out of here fast...
    I hope you get this message but your not home...I will be there in just a minute or so...
    I want to go but I want to go with you.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. -MT

I've had enough, said enough, felt enough. I'm fine, still in it.
  • Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    I have been to dozens of shows at the Tweeter Center and have never seen a Confederate flag in the parking lot.

Who the fuck cares if people are playing beer pong and enjoying themselves. Maybe you should lighten up a little.

People do not go to shows to hear Eddie talk about politics or get enlightened on the issues. I agree with what Eddie says but I dont value his opinion over any other random persons. He is a rock star, not a politician.
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • miller8966miller8966 Posts: 1,452
    Jammin909 wrote:
    I have been to dozens of shows at the Tweeter Center and have never seen a Confederate flag in the parking lot.

Who the fuck cares if people are playing beer pong and enjoying themselves. Maybe you should lighten up a little.

People do not go to shows to hear Eddie talk about politics or get enlightened on the issues. I agree with what Eddie says but I dont value his opinion over any other random persons. He is a rock star, not a politician.

great post.... i agree strongly( having the thumbs up from me on this forum is a big thing btw)
    America...the greatest Country in the world.
  • flywallyflyflywallyfly Posts: 1,453
    miller8966 wrote:
    ( having the thumbs up from me on this forum is a big thing btw)

Yeah, it's almost as big as having God whisper in your ear.
    Yeah, it's almost as big as having God whisper in your ear.

sometimes i dont doubt that
  • Yeah, it's almost as big as having God whisper in your ear.

...that is too funny... thanks for the laughter,
    I needed to let my smile out here now...

...and regarding this post?
    I couldn't tell.. if I say here: uhh I really do like Pearl Jam,
    they always and always say: who?

could make PJ happy, cause I say then: THE WHO (in German: der WER), Pearl Jam!
    ...so not many crabby fans as not many fans at all to find!
    but tellya, this is not much better, cause sometimes you feel like on a very lonesome planet in your own country. ;)
    there is no way to peace, peace is the way!
    ...the world is come undone, I like to change it everyday but change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks.
  • ClaySmockClaySmock Posts: 18
    Jammin909 wrote:

What ever the venue pearl jam or not.... People throwing up and littering, and being destructive is not my idea of an enjoyable time... i have no problem with having a good time, but people make it look like a mini hell camp ground...Sure pearljam's a band, but i've been to huge sporting events with less litter and fucked up incentives... and eddie isn't a politician, but he still promotes awareness and good judgment, i dont know how anyone who can sing along to any pearljam song can feel alright with the way things look out in those pre-gaming lots. And its not a matter of praising eddie vedder's words over any random person, i respect peoples opinions, and don't tread on it while they a singing or explaining them to me... I like pearl jam because i like there message and their music... and there wasn't a flag I was walking in one of the parking lots and there were a bunch of people were t-shirts with the flag on it... does matter though?, america is getting me to the point where i feel the same way about the american flag as i do the confederate one...
    Do I eat them?.. raw or well done?...Do I trick them...? I don't think they're dumb...
  • CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    Jammin909 wrote:
    He is a rock star, not a politician.

You trust politicians and value their opinion above other people's?
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
    Collin wrote:
    You trust politicians and value their opinion above other people's?

Id trust an auto mecahnics opinion over someone who just dabbles with cars on the side...so id trust a politician over someone who just dabbled in politics by reading left wing news garbage...
  • CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    miller8966 wrote:
    Id trust an auto mecahnics opinion over someone who just dabbles with cars on the side...

True but that doesn't mean they don't screw you over.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • ClaySmockClaySmock Posts: 18
    miller8966 wrote:
    Id trust an auto mecahnics opinion over someone who just dabbles with cars on the side...so id trust a politician over someone who just dabbled in politics by reading left wing news garbage...

Wow... You like BUSH, and War... have a good life... bushleaguer
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    ClaySmock wrote:
    Wow... You like BUSH, and War... have a good life... bushleaguer

Funny, sounds like you have way more in common with those drunk, frat biys you seem to hate so much.

People have different opinions on every issue...including how to have fun. I agree that when it becomes destructive and effects other people it is out of hand and terrible. Until then, I may not like it, but they can have fun however they want. Sure, I'll still make fun of them though. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    ClaySmock wrote:
    I just came back from Camden night 2. The first night I felt sick, i couldn't believe these people were associated with pearl jam other than the way they portrayed every thing pearl jam denounce; in the first parking lot I really saw 'life wasted'. Just drunk fuck ups playing beer pong and throwing their garbage all over the place. Then during the concert when eddie was talking about the 'innocence' project, people were yelling ,"we don't care, play jeremy!!" it made me so sick. I just couldn't believe it. I am a die hard pearl jam fan and always will be. But I always feel a connection with the band and it's message, But concerts like this dilute my feelings and what pearl jam can promote. I wish eddie would have witnessed the fucking waste and 'world wide suicide' going on before the show. i wish they could have just been an underground band with out all the fuck up fans with confederate flag t-shirts and wife beaters begging for the ten songs. I felt like i didn't belong there, among all the nastiest SUV driving, ignorant Frat brothers... Night Two, I was about to sell my tickets, but at least this night they played some songs that the "frats" couldn't sings along with... 2nd night way better than the first. I just wish the people that don't realize what pearl jam was really about would stop ignorantly representing a pearl jam concert, and at least clean up after them selves... Anyone know venues or cities that actually have less of this sad display?

Most disgusting parking lot I have ever viewed was in Kitchener last year. American plates with a ton of empties and trash all over the place. NICE!
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • _Crazy_Mary__Crazy_Mary_ Posts: 1,299
    "What ever the venue pearl jam or not..." nice way to change your stance halfway through! So they drive SUVs! So fucking what?! They shouldn't be allowed to like pearl jam? So they went to college?! God forbid!
    I agree, though, that people shouldn't leave their mess.
    Just because I'm not cut from your pearl jam fan cookie cutter does not mean I don't love their music any less than you. Most likely I will tune eddie out when he goes into politics.
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
  • rightonduderightondude Posts: 745
    Jammin909 wrote:

If you heckle a performer because you're an out of control drunk ass and you chuck your garbage everywhere acting like a fool...then you deserve a nice fat smack to the head...twice to make it register

If you gotta be a loudmouth drunk asshole to have fun then you got some problems that need help bigger then just yourself can manage
    O btw its Camden! Its the fucking ghetto
  • You are a real class act. Would you care if people from the ghetto came and trashed your neighborhood? It's obvious you don't have much respect for anyone.
    miller8966 wrote:
    O btw its Camden! Its the fucking ghetto
    " .. There is more to the picture then meets the eye ... "
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    ClaySmock wrote:

Not every pj fan will have the same morals or outlook on life as you do though. Obviously you will meet a wide range of people at a gig and not all of them will be the same, and a lot of people will not be nice people, but thats life. Many people will just like pearl jam for their music which is fine in my opinion.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • merlynmerlyn Posts: 179
    you'd have to be pretty nieve to think that every one has respect like we do for pj. some arseholes just go for a gig they don't give a shite about the band what they support n stand for n don;t see the good they do behind the scenes. people like that will have karma kick there ass one day because thery're self obbsessed put only there selves 1st. arrogance and disprespect is not a way forward i see it every day n it pisses me off i'm learning to pitty these wastes of space n hopefully one day they'll turn in to human beings. it's a pitty it'll take something drastic in there lives to happen to make them see!!!!!!!!!!
    champagne for my real friends & i'm a real pain for my sham friends.. ;)
  • PaperPlatesPaperPlates Posts: 1,745
    even flow? wrote:
    Most disgusting parking lot I have ever viewed was in Kitchener last year. American plates with a ton of empties and trash all over the place. NICE!

How do you tell an american plate over a non american plate? Just curious.
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • How do you tell an american plate over a non american plate? Just curious.

um... I would imagine plates that say "Michigan" or "New York" are probably american... and "Ontario" is canadian.

he's talking about the plates on a car.
  • ryan198ryan198 Posts: 1,025
    miller8966 wrote:
    at what point do you go from dabbling in politics to being a politician? For example the stuff that Bono (on a large scale), and Pearl Jam (at a smaller level) actually do (habitat for humanity, AIDS, etc.) seems to me more political and effective for the peoppe than the politicians, both left and right, that have run this and other countries into the ground.

I guess I don't believe you have to be voted in by whoever actually votes people in to be a politician. Case in point, would you consider Bono/Pearl Jam more or less a politician than Jesse Ventura, or Hilary (pre-New York)?
  • CenterCityCenterCity Posts: 193
    I've been a fan since vitalogy. During the ten and vs. days---i think there was a whole slacker attachment; wrong but nevertheless a whole movement that suburban kids regardless of their background resorted to. For many that are impressionable and vulnerable at that age; many thought it was the cool way to be.
    I need to finish writing.
  • CenterCityCenterCity Posts: 193
    Jammin909 wrote:

hi. the confederate flag.....thats a southern thing: wouldn't see that here anyway. :)
    I need to finish writing.
  • 3inputchick3inputchick Posts: 845
    Jesus Chirst people.....

just pick up your trash at the end of the show......

All of us "old time fans" need to get over the fact that PJ is a popular band..... and the corwd is not what it was 10 years ago... I'm ok with the Frat boys..... they bring something to the show!

Stop Bitching people....... you are all annoying!
    A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad. An optimist is one who hopes they are.
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    CenterCity wrote:
    hi. the confederate flag.....that a southern thing: you're wouldn't see that here anyway. :)

i live in sc and they are all over the place...shirts, stickers, license plate frames...doesn't mississippi or some state actually have it as part of their state flag?

there's gonna be assholes and ppl who are just there b/c it's a show to go to in most cases. at the hershey 03 show the group sitting behind me kept getting up every 15 or so min for another beer and at one point one of the girls exclaimed 'not another new one!' and i think they only played like 3 new songs...
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • 1970RR1970RR Posts: 281
    I am sure that the cost of cleaning up the mess afterwards is built into the cost of parking. Look at a movie theater or stadium after a football game - same thing goes on there too. Its not like this trash just lays there forever.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    El_Kabong wrote:
    i live in sc and they are all over the place...shirts, stickers, license plate frames...doesn't mississippi or some state actually have it as part of their state flag?

there's gonna be assholes and ppl who are just there b/c it's a show to go to in most cases. at the hershey 03 show the group sitting behind me kept getting up every 15 or so min for another beer and at one point one of the girls exclaimed 'not another new one!' and i think they only played like 3 new songs...

Really Where in SC? I come to Columbia routinely to visit by good buddy and his fiancee who is getting her masters in history/library science at USC and my grandmother is in North Augusta.

I know what you mean about the beer, I drink maybe one or two outside, and maybe one if that on the inside, go to the bathroom before the set and don't stop standing in my spot after that. I wouldn't want to miss anything, but that's just me I guess.

Pearl Jam is obviously a big draw yeah there are some knuckleheads but generally they provide for pretty good comedy. I'm almost always one of the only people around me who knows all the words or every song just because they are my favorite band, and I remember being in Memphis in 2000 around a bunch of 15 year olds who were amazed there were more songs than Jeremy or Even Flow. It's funny really. I remember being 15 and admiring the 27 year olds who knew seemingly everything too.

I remember being at lakewood one year for I think it was 311 and there were these people who had a 30 foot PVC flagpole with a Georgia Southern flag and they were funnelling tequila. I think one of them stole a gatoraid out of our truck and we sold them a couple of hamburgers but no worries I don't know if half of them even made it to the show, we just laughed and shook our heads. I think in every walk there are going to be some lunatics after all the "play some skynard" people are all over. Most are harmless. As Nick Hexum once said.....some people really suck....don't let it ruin your experience.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Really Where in SC? I come to Columbia routinely to visit by good buddy and his fiancee who is getting her masters in history/library science at USC and my grandmother is in North Augusta.

I know what you mean about the beer, I drink maybe one or two outside, and maybe one if that on the inside, go to the bathroom before the set and don't stop standing in my spot after that. I wouldn't want to miss anything, but that's just me I guess.

Pearl Jam is obviously a big draw yeah there are some knuckleheads but generally they provide for pretty good comedy. I'm almost always one of the only people around me who knows all the words or every song just because they are my favorite band, and I remember being in Memphis in 2000 around a bunch of 15 year olds who were amazed there were more songs than Jeremy or Even Flow. It's funny really. I remember being 15 and admiring the 27 year olds who knew seemingly everything too.

I remember being at lakewood one year for I think it was 311 and there were these people who had a 30 foot PVC flagpole with a Georgia Southern flag and they were funnelling tequila. I think one of them stole a gatoraid out of our truck and we sold them a couple of hamburgers but no worries I don't know if half of them even made it to the show, we just laughed and shook our heads. I think in every walk there are going to be some lunatics after all the "play some skynard" people are all over. Most are harmless. As Nick Hexum once said.....some people really suck....don't let it ruin your experience.

the upstate, about 30 miles south of greenville

as long as a person isn't knocking into me or being lour and obnoxious i tune everyone out, the 'another new one?' comment caught me offguard as the only new ones they played were help, help, get right and thumbing my way...unless you count some binaural stuff as 'new'...but overall i could care less the experience or lack of one some stranger has.
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way