What have we done?

Comments

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    -you do realize that muslim is a very peaceful religion, right? unfortunately there are radicals out there who kill in the name of that religion, when in reality, islam does not preach murder.
    -the last time i checked, bush did nothing to protect americans from a terrorist attack, either. remember that morning?
    -you do realize that pulling out of the war is a good thing, right? bush sent your soldiers to a country that had nothing to do with sept 11. dont get me wrong, getting saddam hussein was a good thing, but its time for your soldiers to go home to their families.
    -im not american and im very happy for the united states. i would have laughed my ass off if mccain would have been voted in.
    Of course he doesn't realise these things, he's an ignorant fool.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • No they were laughing when they Dub was in office. Everyone thought he was a JOKE! Turns out they were right.

"Bush you aint gotta go home, but you gotta het the hell out of here"
    Tu ya no me tienes que esconder...Esta bein....Sabes que te quiero como ayer...Esto so soy..Este es me vida!!!
  • fugawzifugawzi Posts: 874
    Dude get over it. The best thing you can do is hope Obama succeeds and helps this country improve. Your guy lost. No matter who it was. That's done. Now it's time for us to move forward. There's so much shit to do and improve, whining about why he got elected is a waste of time. Come back in 6 months to a year. We will see how things have changed. Either way, things will have changed. You have no idea how Obama will do as president. He could fail, like George W. Bush did. I doubt that. It's really immature for people to hope he fails out of spite.
    goo wrote:
    what in the FUCK is this nation thinking voting for a person like Barack Obama...
    West Palm 2000 I & II/West Palm '03/Tampa '03/Kissimmee '04/Vic Theater '07/West Palm '08/Tampa '08/NYC MSG I & II '08/Philly Spectrum III & IV '09/Cleveland '10/Bristow '10/PJ20 I & II 2011/Pensacola '12/Pittsburgh '13/Denver '14
  • PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    I guess it was all worth it for a little respect. Did you see all the monkeys last night running around and actting like fools?
    ban this fucker.
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • PJ endorses Obama. 'Nuff said.
    'Far away today, mama ocean hold me to you~ c'mon rock me on your waves and tell me, is it all true?'
    Heart~ Soul of the Sea
    'I'll ride the wave where it takes me~'
    PJ
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,082
    SandWitch wrote:
    PJ endorses Obama. 'Nuff said.

Huh? Seriously? This is all you need in order to vote for president?

If so, I hope you don't vote...ever...I mean it...ever...

Maybe I'm not understanding you.
    hippiemom = goodness
    PJ_Lukin wrote:
    ban this fucker.

2nd that.
    West Palm 2000 I & II/West Palm '03/Tampa '03/Kissimmee '04/Vic Theater '07/West Palm '08/Tampa '08/NYC MSG I & II '08/Philly Spectrum III & IV '09/Cleveland '10/Bristow '10/PJ20 I & II 2011/Pensacola '12/Pittsburgh '13/Denver '14
    Huh? Seriously? This is all you need in order to vote for president?

He might have been kidding. I don't think very many people base their votes solely on celebrity endorsements. Some do.
    fugawzi wrote:
    He might have been kidding. I don't think very many people base their votes solely on celebrity endorsements. Some do.

I hope he is kidding
    hippiemom = goodness
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    goo wrote:
    really, GREAT responses guys. still not one with the balls to tell me WHY I'm wrong and give me some real reasons why it's a good thing Obama got elected.

well, i'm not gonna tell you why it was a good thing but why would it be bad that he had a 'muslim background'?
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • godpt3godpt3 Posts: 1,020
    goo wrote:
    what in the FUCK is this nation thinking voting for a person like Barack Obama, who has had such questionable associations with America-hating churches and comes from a Muslim background, etc. I just can't believe what a blind move we have made. This man has proven nothing concerning how he can protect us when we are attacked by terrorists again, which we will be. he has NO experience. like it or not, we are still at war, for those of you who have forgotten. I wasn't nuts about McCain either, but we at least needed someone who could get us through the war instead of someone who is just going to pull us out of it. the rest of the world has got to be laughing their asses off at us right now.

That is just about the most ignorant and backwards statement I've read today. Why am I not surprised?
    "If all those sweet, young things were laid end to end, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised."
    —Dorothy Parker

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6902/conspiracytheoriesxt6qt8.jpg
  • Huh? Seriously? This is all you need in order to vote for president?

Really? Because I happen to share the ideology and values of a very politically vocal and active group of people who happen to be celebrities? I shouldn't vote? Ever?? Ever never ever???

Lol~
    'Far away today, mama ocean hold me to you~ c'mon rock me on your waves and tell me, is it all true?'
    Heart~ Soul of the Sea
    'I'll ride the wave where it takes me~'
    PJ
  • goo wrote:
    really, GREAT responses guys. still not one with the balls to tell me WHY I'm wrong and give me some real reasons why it's a good thing Obama got elected.

Politics change. But you seem unable to accept the hugely significant way in which it has already changed (in the form of public opinion) Voters turned out in record numbers for this election because they wanted change.

And you have also ignored all the disasterous things your republican governent caused which brought about those changes in opinion. It was the right time.
  • G ForceG Force Posts: 1,392
    goo wrote:
    what in the FUCK is this nation thinking voting for a person like Barack Obama, who has had such questionable associations with America-hating churches and comes from a Muslim background, etc. I just can't believe what a blind move we have made. This man has proven nothing concerning how he can protect us when we are attacked by terrorists again, which we will be. he has NO experience. like it or not, we are still at war, for those of you who have forgotten. I wasn't nuts about McCain either, but we at least needed someone who could get us through the war instead of someone who is just going to pull us out of it. the rest of the world has got to be laughing their asses off at us right now.

Yikes. You are scary. Pls don't come to the next pearl jam show.

The world is celebrating everywhere.
  • goo wrote:
    I just can't believe what a blind move we have made.

i dont think that 63,479,592 people could be that blind.

GO OBAMA!
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    lol because our politicians are a bunch of dorks.
    All politicians are dorks and pinheads.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,671
    What have we done?

Hmmm

Well

We put a Black Family in the White House...which happend to be built by Slaves.

You ask what we have done.
    Well
    I think we just made Progress :)
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    goo wrote:
    This man has proven nothing concerning how he can protect us when we are attacked by terrorists again, which we will be. he has NO experience.
    Bush didn't know how to protect us against terrorist attacks. Remember September 11, 2001 bombings happened on his shift.

Joe Biden has worked extensively within the international arena, which is probably a major reason he was asked to be VP.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    goo wrote:

Wow, that is easily the most ignorant, moronic post I've seen in quite some time. Obama's win is a HUGE step forward for your country. The last 8 years have been a disastrous clusterfuck of epic proportions that has affected the entire world. I'm absolutely elated that the American people finally stood up, said "enough is enough" and did the right thing. As a Canadian I'm extremely proud to be America's neighbor today.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • the "rest of the world" is hungover from celebrating last night.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Sorry bud, my taxes aren't anywhere near yours, even if we made the same. It must rain money in the UK then?

Whats a "big bombs n cool death shit like that"?

oh yes they are.. i've checked.. on a $50k salary the taxes are the same as a £28k salary here in the UK. :)

big bombs and cool death shit are the things america stocks up on... you know.. incase a communist colony attacks.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    Bush didn't know how to protect us against terrorist attacks. Remember September 11, 2001 bombings happened on his shift.

Joe Biden has worked extensively within the international arena, which is probably a major reason he was asked to be VP.

Ok that is rich...

Joe Biden has been in Washington for how long???? It happened on all their watch, but certainly on the idiots in congress for more than 7 years.
    hippiemom = goodness
    Ok that is rich...

Joe Biden has been in Washington for how long???? It happened on all their watch, but certainly on the idiots in congress for more than 7 years.

youall act like you're the only country to have been attacked... since 9/11 how many terrorists have been arrested on US soil? zero.

how many have been arrested in the UK... quite a few... because we are much more multi-cultural, more open-mined we have become a much easier target and yet ironically we only came in on this shit war of terror on the US coat tails.... what makes it harder is that all our terror attacks are from fuckers that grew up in our country... the US seems to live in fear of terrorists.. and yet its more likely the UK will suffer attacks.. at least 4 or 5 attacks have happened here since 9/11... we had the IRA here for years.. etc etc... fear isnt a GOOD reason to vote in a leader.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    dunkman wrote:
    youall act like you're the only country to have been attacked... since 9/11 how many terrorists have been arrested on US soil? zero.

how many have been arrested in the UK... quite a few... because we are much more multi-cultural, more open-mined we have become a much easier target and yet ironically we only came in on this shit war of terror on the US coat tails.... what makes it harder is that all our terror attacks are from fuckers that grew up in our country... the US seems to live in fear of terrorists.. and yet its more likely the UK will suffer attacks.. at least 4 or 5 attacks have happened here since 9/11... we had the IRA here for years.. etc etc... fear isnt a GOOD reason to vote in a leader.

So me pointing out that Joe Biden was in Washington (and so were a lot of other politicans that have been there for a long time) to show that Bush wasn't solely responsible led to that response? I don;t see the connection.
    hippiemom = goodness
    So me pointing out that Joe Biden was in Washington (and so were a lot of other politicans that have been there for a long time) to show that Bush wasn't solely responsible led to that response? I don;t see the connection.

sorry cincy... i just used your post as it was in response to a Bush terror watch thing... i just am amazed at the level of fear and how terrorism is such a huge issue in the US... other than 9/11 and one other failed attempt the US doesnt suffer much on its home soil... and yet people seem so scared of it... my wifes relatives live in Brainerd, Minnesota and they were visiting last year or so and they were on about how they have to shore the defences, stop these people attacking them, etc. etc.... and yet in Brainerd i'm pretty sure the closest they'll get to a terrorist attack is a disgruntled bison... and yet these relatives are just shit scared of 'crazy Muslims' (their words)
  • RockMamaRockMama Deep Creek Lake, MD Posts: 478
    We have lost our good reputation with other peoples of this world over the past eight years. They were laughing at us then, not now. We need to solve our own problems and quit sticking our noses into other countries business in a threatening and aggressive manner. We should not be spending billions and billions of dollars in Iraq when there are people here who need food, shelter and health care. This was the 10th presidential election I have voted in. I am so glad Obama won so we can earn back the repect of our friends all over the world. Yes, I was embarressed by Nixon, but not nearly as much as I have been by Bush and Cheney.
    107 total First-Summerfest, Milwaukee '95
    Most recent: 2018 Stadium shows: Seattle 2, Missoula, Fenway 1 and 2; 2022: Oakland 1 and 2
  • yataheyatahe New Mexico Posts: 168
    Obama was the right choice:
    1. TEMPERMENT: He can handle pressure from others and stay calm which is fundamentally important when dealing with other countries.
    2. THOUGHTS ON WAR: Some who voted for McCain did only because of their fear of terrorists (Which has been put into the minds via President, a man running for President and certain media). SOmehow thinking that because McCain served in a war that that makes him a better President. That is only one aspect of the Presidency that McCain has experience in and no matter the President, we will be defended because our Military and those who volunteer. The way we had went into the war in the first place was dishonest because the leaders did not tell us the truth. We should have never went into war in the first place to police other countries. What is dangerous is puttting someone into the Presidency that is pro-war and who cannot control himself. If he cannot control his temper with his running mate, how much less would he control his temper with other world leaders? And in a time of Nuclear power, war is not an option; just idiotic. Obama is a peacemaker. We are a safer America.

3. HELPING THE POOR: Talking about false prophets, let's look at those who proclaim God to the point as being the judge over them; deciding for them if they should be gay and married and/or should have the right to bring a child into the world that would not be loved and grow up to become another mentally ill adult who then the same Republicans that saved them, end up putting them to death (American Execution) in adulthood because they cannot still see the innocence in the mentally ill adult like their God would. A real CHristian value does not come from the reaction to try to control another with fear but to try and help others, which is really all the good we can do on this earth. So how much more important could it be to look out for those who are less fortunate? There will always be different classes (upper, middle, lower). Society will always need the factory workers. Not all people have the ability to be Entreprenuers or to ride the stock market; riding the wave or to move up the ladder in the work force. No matter why their lot in life, the poor too are simply trying to get by. The poor man's life is not an easy one just as the person who trying to start his own business. If there is a better way, it is having our government keep programs to help the poor/ less fortunate and there should be no shame in that. "Spreading the Wealth" was somehow a quote to be made fun of in this election but there is nothing wrong but everything good with helping those who need help and by personally relinquishing America's old disease of greed.

4. AMERICA NEEDS REGULATION: Republicans argue that the government should not be so involved in people's lives and money. As was seen from the stockmarket crashing; the lack of regulation led to our fall. There needs to be regulation on healthcare because as of now, people are going bankrupt because they cannot pay their medical bills. Small business owners cannot buy Health Insurance for their employees because it is too expensive. Just as the Mortgage companies were partly to fault for the stockmarket crash, so too, there are people that need to be regulated in our Health Care Situation in America. This is just another example of why the government needs to step in to help. Unfortunately, alot of people are not educated enough to handle these things by themselves and in the end, they are the ones that get screwed, SImply because of their class status.

5. AMERICA NEEDS AN AFRICAN AMERICAN PRESIDENT: The change the Martin Luther King had hoped someday would come true has just come to fruition. The battle that African Americans have fought since slavery has been a hard one. One of my teachers walked in the King march and now an older man, he is overwhelmed with tears with the significance of this election and what it means to all of those who have been oppressed. Him, His father, mother, grandfather and grandmother, etc. Like someone had said, it is beautiful to see how far America has come; a place who used to keep a people as slaves because of their skin. What a celebration to some! Hopefully it could be all.

So here are a few reasons you were asking for from a somewhat eduactional prespective but mostly from the heart. I have to go to school now but I hope people that are angry and dissappointed can understand that it was time for a change. It's been a certain way for 8 years and now it's someone elses turn. Take care!
    *KRISTAL*XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO
    http://www.facebook.com/reqs.php#!/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1434776887
    kristal_007@msn.com
  • yatahe wrote:
    5. AMERICA NEEDS AN AFRICAN AMERICAN PRESIDENT

Although I agree with a lot of what you said, I disagree with this one. I voted for Obama - not because of his skin color - but because he was BY FAR the best choice for taking us out of the current messes we are in, from the economy to foreign policy to healthcare to energy/climate change.

If you listen to him, he never talks about being black until he is forced into it. I honestly don't think it's important to him, or that it will be a prime motivator or indicator of what he does as president.

What we needed was someone who is smart, who could stand up to the hateful smearmongers that the pathetic Republican party have become (shame on them, here's to hoping they reclaim some of their dignity in the coming years), and who could look beyond the partisanship and try to unify the country and get something done.

We may well be disappointed, but here's to hoping that Obama brings true change to our country. I'm currently cautiously enthusiastic. Go Team!
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    God fucking forbid we have someone in control that has an ethnic background.. we NEED someone who has different cultures and beliefs. Did you ever stop and think that maybe having someone with a little more diversity and understanding of other cultures might benefit us? Because so far, the whole white man/republican thing hasnt worked out so well , OBVIOUSLY.
  • even McCain said now is the time to stand behind Obama; throw the full support of this nation behind him. People like "goo" who started this thread are just the sore losers. They are the same people that boo'd during McCain's speech last night. I have not felt this sense of one country, or this level of unity since after 9/11. I feel so much hope within the next 4 years and beyond. I have a lot of respect for McCain, I always have. I thought his speech was great last night.

We need to move forward people. We have to let go of the party ties. We need to come together and really work together to fix this mess that we are in.

I feel like we can do that now. I did not feel that it would had been accomplished if the outcome was different.
    Let's Go Red Sox!