~ REM appreciation thread ~

Comments

• restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    totally stoked for tomorrow here too!!! 2nd time seeing them. cant wait.

also cant wait for the national. thats gonna be great.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Sian-of-the-deadSian-of-the-dead Posts: 8,963
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I really like R.E.M's 80s stuff and Automatic for the People but I'm not a huge fan of much they've done since, give or take a few songs.

This is amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnhthxTrlSE

Favourite songs are probably:

Nightswimming
    So, Central Rain
    Pretty Persuasion
    The One I Love
    Orange Crush
    Find The River
    Daysleeper
    The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight

Try the new album, it's amazing.

or is that too mainstream for you, J? :p;)
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
    I've narrowed down my favourite songs...

I'll start with my top 5:

* What's The Frequency, Kenneth? - My number 1... always has been, always will be. Can't WAIT to see it live! :D
    * So Fast, So Numb - AMAAAAAAZING song.
    * Mr Richards - I heard this and completely fell in love.
    * Lotus - Dave sent me the link for this on youtube. I was singing it for 5 days... it's what drove me to buy Up.
    * Leave - this song just simply blow me away.

Special mentions should be given to the following:

At My Most Beautiful, Country Feedback, Crush With Eyeliner, Strange Currencies, Walk Unafraid, So. Central Rain, Final Straw, Bad Day, The one I love, Sing For The Submarine, Electron Blue, Swan Swan H, Diminished, Living Well is The Best Revenge and Begin the Begin.

:D
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

Woo! someone I work with just walked up to my desk and handed me the REM perfect square DVD!! Said he'd noticed me singing round the office and didn't know I was a fan, asked if I wanted to borrow it! :D

That was a nice surprise :)

• ||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
    Woo! someone I work with just walked up to my desk and handed me the REM perfect square DVD!! Said he'd noticed me singing round the office and didn't know I was a fan, asked if I wanted to borrow it! :D

That was a nice surprise :)

that was nice of her. it's a great dvd, easily one of my fave music dvds to watch. that performance of daysleeper is beautiful.
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

that was nice of her. it's a great dvd, easily one of my fave music dvds to watch. that performance of daysleeper is beautiful.

Yeah, I don't normally talk to the guy but he's obviously heard my reditions of What's the Frequency, ...(insert name here)...? directed at people I work with :o
    I didn't realise he was a fan either!

I know what i'm watching tonight with a bottle of wine ;)

• ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    I've narrowed down my favourite songs...

I'll start with my top 5:

* What's The Frequency, Kenneth? - My number 1... always has been, always will be. Can't WAIT to see it live! :D
    * So Fast, So Numb - AMAAAAAAZING song.
    * Mr Richards - I heard this and completely fell in love.
    * Lotus - Dave sent me the link for this on youtube. I was singing it for 5 days... it's what drove me to buy Up.
    * Leave - this song just simply blow me away.

Special mentions should be given to the following:

At My Most Beautiful, Country Feedback, Crush With Eyeliner, Strange Currencies, Walk Unafraid, So. Central Rain, Final Straw, Bad Day, The one I love, Sing For The Submarine, Electron Blue, Swan Swan H, Diminished, Living Well is The Best Revenge and Begin the Begin.

I can't say I'm a fan of the lotus... one of a few songs that I don't like by R.E.M.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
    Yeah, I don't normally talk to the guy but he's obviously heard my reditions of What's the Frequency, ...(insert name here)...? directed at people I work with :o
    I didn't realise he was a fan either!

I know what i'm watching tonight with a bottle of wine ;)

i'm sure you'll enjoy it. i love that a lot of the concert takes place while the sun is still out. creates a really relaxed atmosphere.

ahhh, the good old days when dave and i would be in bed watching this dvd :p (our own separate beds of course....well, me in bed and dave in a sleeping bag on the floor)
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

our own separate beds of course....well, me in bed and dave in a sleeping bag on the floor

Yeah i'm sure! ;)

Yeah i'm sure! ;)

i don't like what i'm being excused of!
    anyways i'm letting myself get distracted! back to my corner to revise!

• whulmefwhulmef Posts: 176
    Early period R.E.M. (i.e. Chronic Town, Murmur, Reckoning, and Fables) is the best high music ever. After a night of drinking and a few bong rips, throw on Murmur on vinyl. The mix is amazing. Songs like 9-9, Moral Kiosk, Wolves, Lower, and the second side of Fables will rock your brain.
  • zacman13245zacman13245 Posts: 294
    REM is awesome, my parents used to play "Losing my Religion" when I was younger, and I started listening more later in my life.
    I'm spinning, oh, I'm spinning

6/30/2008 - Mansfield, MA.
    5/17/2010 - Boston, MA
    9/3/2011 - East Troy, WI (PJ20)
    9/4/2011 - East Troy, WI (PJ20)
  • tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    I just started getting into them a couple months ago, but I'm so excited to see them today.
    nuffingman wrote:
    Thanks for that, awesome ..... especially Country Feedback.

Roll on August at Twickenham. There seem to be a few of us going.

REM = Awesomeness personified.

Indeed... I possibly feel a REM/Pearl Jam meet coming on... ;)

• restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    im off to the show!!!!!!!!!!
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    im off to the show!!!!!!!!!!

look forward to the review :)
  • 1am bump for stipey and co.

If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    Great show, but it did seem a little too short. They did have a lot of energy though.
  • vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    I'd never seen REM live before, but wow! Manged to get right down in front and was very impressed! It was a whole lotta fun....At the end, when the did "Man in the Moon", I was singing the RRHF version (that they did with Ed) with the loud "COOL", and I think I was the only one doing so...So our video of the song has me yelling that and trying to sing the Ed bits! by that time I had rejoined my hubby a bith farther back...

Anyway, they did most of Accellerate, talked a bit about Canada Geese in Athens, GA, briefly mentioned Obama (then did "Man-Sized Wreath")...Said that at the end of the world tour they'd like our permission to return to British Columbia to record their next album (!!) - of course everyone screamed and hooted and hollered....

The National (who opened) were really good...but Modest Mouse...not what I expected - they were a little iffy....but for sure REM were pretty solid, tight, and sounded great!
    be philanthropic
    anyone wanna post a setlist from the friday night show? and maybe some reviews..

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    Zoso wrote:
    anyone wanna post a setlist from the friday night show? and maybe some reviews..
    Screw the review...I found plenty of them by googling...but no setlist! Anyone...please?

I wish other bands would keep fans informed of setlists the way PJ does...
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • rockpantsrockpants BC Posts: 838
    C'n'P'ed from remring ...

1. Living Well's the Best Revenge
    2. What's The Frequency, Kenneth?
    3. Ignoreland
    4. Second Guessing
    5. Gardening At Night
    6. Man Sized Wreath
    7. Disturbance At The Heron House
    8. Hollowman
    9. Accelerate
    10. West of the Fields
    11. Houston
    12. Electrolite
    13. Losing My Religion
    14. Time After Time (annelise)
    15. Let Me In
    16. The One I Love
    17. Country Feedback
    18. Bad Day
    19. Walk Unafraid
    20. Supernatural Superserious
    21. Sweetness Follows
    22. Get Up
    23. I'm Gonna DJ
    24. Man on The Moon

---

Fantastic show, though I don't feel it's in the right order (Ignoreland wasn't 3rd, was it? Seemed later on than that - ?)
    Nighty-night!
    rockpants wrote:

3. Ignoreland
    4. Second Guessing
    5. Gardening At Night
    6. Man Sized Wreath
    8. Hollowman
    9. Accelerate
    10. West of the Fields
    11. Houston
    12. Electrolite
    13. Losing My Religion
    15. Let Me In
    16. The One I Love
    17. Country Feedback
    18. Bad Day
    19. Walk Unafraid
    21. Sweetness Follows
    22. Get Up
    23. I'm Gonna DJ
    24. Man on The Moon

---

Fantastic show, though I don't feel it's in the right order (Ignoreland wasn't 3rd, was it? Seemed later on than that - ?)
    Nighty-night!

Holy shit. That is an awesome setlist!
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

rockpants wrote:

3. Ignoreland
    4. Second Guessing
    5. Gardening At Night
    6. Man Sized Wreath
    8. Hollowman
    9. Accelerate
    10. West of the Fields
    11. Houston
    12. Electrolite
    13. Losing My Religion
    15. Let Me In
    16. The One I Love
    17. Country Feedback
    18. Bad Day
    19. Walk Unafraid
    21. Sweetness Follows
    22. Get Up
    23. I'm Gonna DJ
    24. Man on The Moon

---

Nighty-night!

nice set some really different songs... love get up, ignoreland, country feed, sweetness and gardening at night...

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=0920c17b-419d-4ea8-8e52-a8ed3ed8e1eb - review of the show

Gardening At Night, Time After Time, Let Me In, Country Feedback...DISTURBANCE AT THE HERON HOUSE!? I can't wait to see them now. :D
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

By the beard of Zeus! they're playing Let Me In again?!?! we so picked the best tour to see them!

• NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    TiaMija wrote:
    If you can, watch them on Austin City limits this weekend (May 24th)!

I was just going to post this after I noticed it was going to be on. I've already got my DVR warmed up.
    Brian
    By the beard of Zeus! they're playing Let Me In again?!?! we so picked the best tour to see them!
    Country Feedback Ross....did you hear me?!!
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

• Housing JimHousing Jim Posts: 644
    Thank heavens they're getting back to proper R.E.M. style set lists.

No one needs to hear Everybody Hurts at an R.E.M. show
    A democracy on paper, apparently well ordered, regularly subverted by irrational chaos.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    New York City - 24/6/2008
    New York City - 25/6/2008 - we will be "what is up" New York
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018