Remember
    E
    M on tv TONIGHT!!...~

pbs [austin city limits]
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    Thank heavens they're getting back to proper R.E.M. style set lists.

No one needs to hear Everybody Hurts at an R.E.M. show
    Why? It's an REM song...and one of their more well known ones for the casual fan.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • Sian-of-the-deadSian-of-the-dead Posts: 8,963
    audiodave wrote:
    Why? It's an REM song...and one of their more well known ones for the casual fan.

I agree. I've never seen REM before and although I can't wait to see some of the less commercial stuff, I also can't wait to see Everybody Hurts.

That setlist is amazing... distinct lack of Mr Richards and So Fast, So Numb though... Here's hoping they play them at Twickenham. I'm so excited about seeing them now it's unreal! I spent my morning watching the Perfect Square DVD over my breakfast before I went for a ride... what a way to start your morning! :D I was offroad biking and singing Begin the Begin for two hours! :o
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    country feedback was an amazing surprise!! this was great. a great day in general, 3 superb bands. good looking setlist. was hoping ( a long shot) for electron blue, but you cant have it all right? good energy, nice stage setup.

the reason country feedback was played, they said they got inspired after the 5th song, and they wanted to try it. they hadnt played or rehearsed it in 4 years. ha! what luck. enjoy the gorge!
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,684
    I appreciate REM
  • zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    Wow, that's a helluva setlist. Ignoreland?! Have they ever played that one live before? I always thought they should've updated the lyrics a bit (to reflect the current administration) and played it during the Vote For Change tour.

Great to see Sweetness Follows, Get Up, and Time After Time (AnnElise) in there as well.
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
  • Housing JimHousing Jim Posts: 644
    audiodave wrote:

Because it suck perhaps!

Yes. it's an R.E.M. song but it's a cheese fest that sounds like it'd be more at home sung by Celine Dion.

...and i couldn't care less about casual fans. It was the casual fans who ruined their show in 2005. the fans who stay sat down until Losing My Religion or Everybody Hurts gets played and talk loudly to each other when they play something decent like Electrolite.

I'm so glad they don't seem to be playing it much anymore.
    A democracy on paper, apparently well ordered, regularly subverted by irrational chaos.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    New York City - 24/6/2008
    New York City - 25/6/2008 - we will be "what is up" New York
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
    Because it suck perhaps!

Yes. it's an R.E.M. song but it's a cheese fest that sounds like it'd be more at home sung by Celine Dion.

...and i couldn't care less about casual fans. It was the casual fans who ruined their show in 2005. the fans who stay sat down until Losing My Religion or Everybody Hurts gets played and talk loudly to each other when they play something decent like Electrolite.

I'm so glad they don't seem to be playing it much anymore.

Woah Woah Woah Daddyo! :o

You seem quite bitter about 'casual fans'... you forget that they helped with REM's record sales as much as die hard fans.

I was a casual fan til I got with Audiodave and yes, I like Everybody Hurts. I also love songs like Lotus, Undertow and Diminished... songs that not everyone would know. I personally can't stand Shiny Happy People, to the point that I refuse to buy Out Of Time (I'm downloading the other tracks from it) but should they play it in Twickenham, i'll be chuffed! And why? Because there will be people all around me who may like it and I'm there to see the band and it's one of their songs!
    Now, I've never seen REM, working on your attitude towards Everybody Hurts, does that mean I shouldn't see that song? A song i've liked since I was a kid? No. At the end of the day, Everybody Hurts is and REM song and as valuable to their back catalogue as songs like Electrolite.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

• fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    incredible band, can't wait to see em live.
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    country feedback was an amazing surprise!! this was great. a great day in general, 3 superb bands. good looking setlist. was hoping ( a long shot) for electron blue, but you cant have it all right? good energy, nice stage setup.

the reason country feedback was played, they said they got inspired after the 5th song, and they wanted to try it. they hadnt played or rehearsed it in 4 years. ha! what luck. enjoy the gorge!

I need to hear country feedback in philly!!
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,457
    REM concert was supposed to be on Austin City Limits last night my room mate and i saw them for about a min. or so and she started recording it suddenly switched to sammy davis jr. :/
    however, she laughed said maybe because it was more a political type song...~
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    June 18 will be my third time appreciating R.E.M. live. Can't wait. First time was after Murmur, the second at Temple Univ. several years ago. Talk About The Passion will forever be my favorite R.E.M. song.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
    Woah Woah Woah Daddyo! :o

You seem quite bitter about 'casual fans'... you forget that they helped with REM's record sales as much as die hard fans.

I was a casual fan til I got with Audiodave and yes, I like Everybody Hurts. I also love songs like Lotus, Undertow and Diminished... songs that not everyone would know. I personally can't stand Shiny Happy People, to the point that I refuse to buy Out Of Time (I'm downloading the other tracks from it) but should they play it in Twickenham, i'll be chuffed! And why? Because there will be people all around me who may like it and I'm there to see the band and it's one of their songs!
    Now, I've never seen REM, working on your attitude towards Everybody Hurts, does that mean I shouldn't see that song? A song i've liked since I was a kid? No. At the end of the day, Everybody Hurts is and REM song and as valuable to their back catalogue as songs like Electrolite.

Yeah, fair point.

I suppose I did come across as being bitter towards casual fans. I'm not, it was juts intensely annoying when my wife and I were trying to enjoy great songs like Electrolite and Exhuming McCarthy but could barely hear them for the shouted conversations around us of folk who clearly had never heard these songs before.

I suppose what I was meant was that there are so many R.E.M. songs that I've never seen them play, songs much better IMHO than Everybody Hurts, and I'd rather see them play those songs than play the crowd pleasers. They used to open with Leave a few years ago.....I would love to see them do that again for example.
    A democracy on paper, apparently well ordered, regularly subverted by irrational chaos.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
    Yeah, fair point.

I suppose I did come across as being bitter towards casual fans. I'm not, it was juts intensely annoying when my wife and I were trying to enjoy great songs like Electrolite and Exhuming McCarthy but could barely hear them for the shouted conversations around us of folk who clearly had never heard these songs before.

I suppose what I was meant was that there are so many R.E.M. songs that I've never seen them play, songs much better IMHO than Everybody Hurts, and I'd rather see them play those songs than play the crowd pleasers. They used to open with Leave a few years ago.....I would love to see them do that again for example.

I'm glad you see sense :p;)

I can understand that you'd be annoyed at that. It's happened to me a number of times at gigs and i've had to resort to the very subtle "SHUT THE FUCK UP." approach... works for me :o

Don't get me wrong, i'm all up for songs like Leave, hell, I'll be the happiest person alive if they play So Fast, So Numb! A few crowd pleasers here and there are good (how else am I gonna get to see What's The Frequency, Kennth? ;)) and I do think seeing Everybody Hurts would be awesome but like So Fast, So Numb, if they don't play it, they don't play it! I'm just gonna be glad to see them tbh!

Are you going to any dates in the next few months? Which songs off the new album do you wanna see? I assume Supernatural Superserious would be considered the crowd pleaser of the album... ;)

can some post the setlist from the gorge? or did that happen yet?
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
    I'm glad you see sense

I can understand that you'd be annoyed at that. It's happened to me a number of times at gigs and i've had to resort to the very subtle "SHUT THE FUCK UP." approach... works for me :o

Don't get me wrong, i'm all up for songs like Leave, hell, I'll be the happiest person alive if they play So Fast, So Numb! A few crowd pleasers here and there are good (how else am I gonna get to see What's The Frequency, Kennth? and I do think seeing Everybody Hurts would be awesome but like So Fast, So Numb, if they don't play it, they don't play it! I'm just gonna be glad to see them tbh!

Are you going to any dates in the next few months? Which songs off the new album do you wanna see? I assume Supernatural Superserious would be considered the crowd pleaser of the album... ;)

I'm going to Philly with you know who :) cbg

They have played so fast, so numb a heap in the last 5 or so years... I heard it at my first REM show in Adelaide in 2005. I will be suprised if they don't play it this tour.

I would love to hear songs like leave, exhumng mcarthy etc... They didn't play too many non crowd pleasers the first time I saw them but they did bring out herion house and the departure but apart from that I loved drive and I took your name was kick ass live.

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
    Living Well's the Best Revenge
    WTFK
    Accelerate
    Auctioneer
    Drive
    Life and How to Live It
    Harborcoat
    These Days
    Ignoreland
    Man-Sized Wreath
    Hollow Man
    Losing My Religion
    The One I Love
    Houston
    Final Straw
    Let Me In (acoustic)
    Horse to Water
    Walk Unafraid (or was it during the encore? Heck if I can remember)
    I'm Gonna DJ

encore:
    Orange Crush
    Supernatural Superserious
    Man on the Moon

From mumurs.com
    I heard undertow, i'll take the rain and driver 8 were also played... there is no confirmed setlist as yet

• ||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
    Zoso wrote:
    Living Well's the Best Revenge
    WTFK
    Accelerate
    Auctioneer
    Drive
    Life and How to Live It
    Harborcoat
    These Days
    Ignoreland
    Man-Sized Wreath
    Hollow Man
    Losing My Religion
    The One I Love
    Houston
    Final Straw
    Let Me In (acoustic)
    Horse to Water
    Walk Unafraid (or was it during the encore? Heck if I can remember)
    I'm Gonna DJ

encore:
    Orange Crush
    Supernatural Superserious
    Man on the Moon

From mumurs.com
    I heard undertow, i'll take the rain and driver 8 were also played... there is no confirmed setlist as yet

I'm pretty sure the band is trying to give me a heart attack. What in the blue hell is going on with these setlists?? They're fricki'n awesome! An acoustic version of Let Me In????!! Final Straw?? Life and How to Live it?!

Yep, August 30th is going to be EPIC.
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

I'm pretty sure the band is trying to give me a heart attack. What in the blue hell is going on with these setlists?? They're fricki'n awesome! An acoustic version of Let Me In????!! Final Straw?? Life and How to Live it?!

Yep, August 30th is going to be EPIC.

These days and life and how to live it would be great live!! I want them in philly also.

Zoso wrote:
    I'm going to Philly with you know who. cbg

They have played so fast, so numb a heap in the last 5 or so years... I heard it at my first REM show in Adelaide in 2005. I will be suprised if they don't play it this tour.

I would love to hear songs like leave, exhumng mcarthy etc... They didn't play too many non crowd pleasers the first time I saw them but they did bring out herion house and the departure but apart from that I loved drive and I took your name was kick ass live.

Oh wow that'll be awesome for you both :)

Yeah, I was watching the Perfect Square DVD, they play So Fast, So Numb on that in 2003 and i've been looking through setlists online, it was consistantly played for a while. It would be great to see it but if they don't play it i'm sure I can get my ass moving to another little ditty ;)

I'm really chuffed they seem to be playing WTFK?, it's one I HAVE to see :o The setlists look awesome and everytime I see a new one it makes me realise just how (to put it Ross terms) EPIC August 30th will indeed be.

Drive? Walk Unafraid? Final Straw? Let Me In acoustic?! *crosses fingers for Twickenham* :D

I haven't been this excited about a gig since PJ at Wembley :o

Oh wow that'll be awesome for you both

Yeah, I was watching the Perfect Square DVD, they play So Fast, So Numb on that in 2003 and i've been looking through setlists online, it was consistantly played for a while. It would be great to see it but if they don't play it i'm sure I can get my ass moving to another little ditty

I'm really chuffed they seem to be playing WTFK?, it's one I HAVE to see :o The setlists look awesome and everytime I see a new one it makes me realise just how (to put it Ross terms) EPIC August 30th will indeed be.

Drive? Walk Unafraid? Final Straw? Let Me In acoustic?! *crosses fingers for Twickenham*

I haven't been this excited about a gig since PJ at Wembley :o

yeah we will have a great time :)

whats the frequency kenneath is a great song live and one of my favs actually. A great one, two punch with living well is the best revenge. perfect square dvd is great... I love country feedback and begin the begin as the opener.

I'm glad you see sense :p;)

Don't get me wrong, i'm all up for songs like Leave, hell, I'll be the happiest person alive if they play So Fast, So Numb! A few crowd pleasers here and there are good (how else am I gonna get to see What's The Frequency, Kennth? ;)) and I do think seeing Everybody Hurts would be awesome but like So Fast, So Numb, if they don't play it, they don't play it! I'm just gonna be glad to see them tbh!

Yes, we're going to the Cardiff show on the August bank holiday Monday. I am really excited about it, having seen some of the recent set lists and the new album is so good. I think the new songs I'm most looking forward to hearing are Man Sized Wreath and Horse To Water.

I'm not sure any of the new stuff will be considered a crowd pleaser....not yet at least anyways. Lots of really great songs on the new record though.

They did So Fast So Numb at Cardiff in 2005.......I hope they play it for you at one of your shows, it's a really amazing song, live and on record. I'll be hoping for a smattering of New Adventures songs at Cardiff this year.....Wake Up Bomb would be incredible to hear.

Which shows are you going to?

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
    i wish that gorge setlist was vancouvers. would have been better.
  • whulmefwhulmef Posts: 176
    After watching Austin City Limits, I have a new found enthusiasm for Accelerate. I'll be seeing them in Raleigh, June 10.

I have been looking on ticketmaster, and it seems some of the shows are not selling that well. Springsteen didn't come close to selling out Greensboro. I guess sold-out rock concerts in the South are a thing of the past.
  • halvhalv Posts: 675
    It's been said, but the Vancouver show was amazing!!! These old guys are rejuvenated and the set list really showed it. The new songs blended perfectly with the old, Stipe's voice was excellent and the band tighter than ever. REM are back with a vengance!!
  • ||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
    I hope they're going to start playing Sing For The Submarine soon, that's the song i want to hear the most!
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

I hope they're going to start playing Sing For The Submarine soon, that's the song i want to hear the most!

thats my favourite track of accelerate. It grabs me everytime I hear it.

• AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Soupy wrote:
    Great band *obviously*.

One think that stands me apart from most other fans is that I love 'Reveal' and like 'Around the Sun' quite abit. For me their weak period was 'New Adventures' a rather bland album with 4 outstanding tracks and 'Up' which aside from 'Walk Unafraid' was easily their worst album (for me).

reveal,up,and 'round da sun suck sooooooo bad! the new one though is pretty damn good! a sort of return to form.
    Yes, we're going to the Cardiff show on the August bank holiday Monday. I am really excited about it, having seen some of the recent set lists and the new album is so good. I think the new songs I'm most looking forward to hearing are Man Sized Wreath and Horse To Water.

I'm not sure any of the new stuff will be considered a crowd pleaser....not yet at least anyways. Lots of really great songs on the new record though.

They did So Fast So Numb at Cardiff in 2005.......I hope they play it for you at one of your shows, it's a really amazing song, live and on record. I'll be hoping for a smattering of New Adventures songs at Cardiff this year.....Wake Up Bomb would be incredible to hear.

Which shows are you going to?

Going to Twickenham with Audiodave, || Release Me || and Chime on 30th August.

Is playing my whole top 5 too much to ask? :D
    Crossing my fingers so they at least play WTFK? and So Fast, So Numb... surely that isn't too much... is it?!
    I'd really like to see Lotus and Mr Richards from my top 5 but I don't think there's much chance of that tbh :(
    Wake Up Bomb would be awesome to hear and Sing for the Submarine would be great... if only keep Ross happy ;)
    From the new album (well, the one's that are most likely) i'd love to see Man Sized Wreath and Living Well is the Best Revenge. The new album is incredible and I think it'll be well recieved by the crowds. I was only joking about SS being a crowd pleaser ;)

G-Man23 wrote:
    reveal,up,and 'round da sun suck sooooooo bad! the new one though is pretty damn good! a sort of return to form.

they are def different from anything else they have done... accelerate is a great album though different from ATS.