Whos The Greatest Guitarist?

Comments

• hoopinmanhoopinman Posts: 294
    sorry to bring this up...but its buggin the hell outta me

His name is spelled Stevie Ray Vaughan not Vaughn....with two a's in his last name
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    only one of many
    but i really enjoy this piece
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPaz9-nLClA
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • stevieraveonstevieraveon Posts: 413
    "hi, i'm jimi hendrix, i can play novice blues songs through a wah peddle. call me the greatest ever"

"hi, i'm john frusciante. i take the less-is-more approach because i am too inferior to even play more than i do"

"hi, i'm stevie ray vaughn. i graduated from the jimi hendrix school of guitar playing. when i bend one note for 87 seconds, people think i have soul"

in case you haven't figured it out, i think every one of these guys is a fucking joke.

You, sir, are the fucking joke.
    Bob Loblaw's Law Blog: "Why should YOU go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?"
  • deadnotedeadnote Posts: 1,678
    santana
    set your laughter free

dreamer in my dream

we got the guns

i love you,but im..............callin out.........callin out
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    On second thought, I'm gonna have to change my vote to Robert Johnson. Dude went down to the crossroads and sold his soul to the devil:cool:
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • You, sir, are the fucking joke.

maybe.

but at least i am not entertained by boring average-at-best guitar players.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    maybe.

but at least i am not entertained by boring average-at-best guitar players.

Okay, so what's you criteria for an above-average player? Seriously, now. The ability to demonstrate an encyclopaedic knowledge of scales, played using stretch fingering and such devices as string skipping and/or sweeping? (Lots of players can do that, but when it comes to improvising, should they suddenly say, "Actually I could change the intervals here and add a little lydian mode, just these notes, and maybe a suggestion of that one"? Or should they keep twiddling through their scalar/modal workouts? Would an above-average player sacrifice bombing up and down the fretboard playing a two-handed whole tone scale, where a one-handed pentatonic, played with one or two fingers, might do?

How do you rate rhythm playing? Fingerpicking styles? Do you prefer finger vibrato or finger-tapping? Silly questions to many, as what matters about technique is how it sounds or makes them feel.

Do you play? How long have you been playing? Do you play live? If so, what's your guitar setup?
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    "hi, i'm jimi hendrix, i can play novice blues songs through a wah peddle. call me the greatest ever"

"hi, i'm john frusciante. i take the less-is-more approach because i am too inferior to even play more than i do"

"hi, i'm stevie ray vaughn. i graduated from the jimi hendrix school of guitar playing. when i bend one note for 87 seconds, people think i have soul"

in case you haven't figured it out, i think every one of these guys is a fucking joke.

It's all true, lol, this really is one of the worst posts I have ever seen, you must be a seriously good guitar player to come up with such a statement, are you Satriani and pissed off by some of the previous posts?
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Okay, so what's you criteria for an above-average player? Seriously, now. The ability to demonstrate an encyclopaedic knowledge of scales, played using stretch fingering and such devices as string skipping and/or sweeping? (Lots of players can do that, but when it comes to improvising, should they suddenly say, "Actually I could change the intervals here and add a little lydian mode, just these notes, and maybe a suggestion of that one"? Or should they keep twiddling through their scalar/modal workouts? Would an above-average player sacrifice bombing up and down the fretboard playing a two-handed whole tone scale, where a one-handed pentatonic, played with one or two fingers, might do?

How do you rate rhythm playing? Fingerpicking styles? Do you prefer finger vibrato or finger-tapping? Silly questions to many, as what matters about technique is how it sounds or makes them feel.

Do you play? How long have you been playing? Do you play live? If so, what's your guitar setup?
    I play, but haven't the foggiest as to what some of this means.

The case against Hendrix that I've heard once or twice is because he could play bass notes with his thumb people are duped into believing he was the greatest. A pretty weak argument.
  • Fact - Jimi Hendrix is the greatest guitarist of all time.
    "Why stand when you can sit?" - Winston Churchill
    "Why sit when you can dance?" - Me
  • It's all true, lol, this really is one of the worst posts I have ever seen, you must be a seriously good guitar player to come up with such a statement, are you Satriani and pissed off by some of the previous posts?
    Satriani's idol is Hendrix, so unlikely.
    Also, I doubt anyone would argue that Hendrix is great because he can use his thumb on the fretboard. How is that important?
  • boxwine_in_hellboxwine_in_hell Posts: 1,263
    Stevie Ray Vaughan.....I mean anyone that plays Hendrix better than Hendrix gets my vote. Granted Hendrix didn't have the technology that SRV had, but holy shit was SRV amazing.

Decide for yourself, this is sick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__Z6lNp3Ako&feature=related
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Stevie Ray Vaughan.....I mean anyone that plays Hendrix better than Hendrix gets my vote.

True....but Hendrix WROTE that shit.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • IndianSummerIndianSummer Posts: 854
    mark knopfler
    I have faced it, A life wasted...

Take my hand, my child of love
    Come step inside my tears
    Swim the magic ocean,
    I've been crying all these years
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Stevie Ray Vaughan.....I mean anyone that plays Hendrix better than Hendrix gets my vote.

That may be true....but Hendrix WROTE that shit.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • IndianSummerIndianSummer Posts: 854
    Here's the second greatest guitarist of all time, in my view. One note from this man wipes out whole universes of shredders. This, my friends, is tone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSZHT2XvoLM
    what exactly is tone??
    I have faced it, A life wasted...

Take my hand, my child of love
    Come step inside my tears
    Swim the magic ocean,
    I've been crying all these years
  • boxwine_in_hellboxwine_in_hell Posts: 1,263
    True....but Hendrix WROTE that shit.....

True, but SRV has some badass tunes too. All you have to do is listen to a songs like "Lenny" or "Riviera Paradise" to see his brilliance and versatility. I mean he plays jazz guitar better than any of the best jazz guitarists.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    True, but SRV has some badass tunes too. All you have to do is listen to a songs like "Lenny" or "Riviera Paradise" to see his brilliance and versatility. I mean he plays jazz guitar better than any of the best jazz guitarists.
    I wouldn't call that shit jazz. It's pretty straight blues. I think SRV's weakness was as a songwriter. He wasn't INNOVATIVE, he just kicked serious ass.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • "hi, i'm jimi hendrix, i can play novice blues songs through a wah peddle. call me the greatest ever"

pioneer

slightly overated.

uped the voltage

It's okay to be wrong and have no taste. If it makes you feel any better you are in the majority based on what's selling right now.

just curious who you consider to be good?
    Stevie Ray Vaughan.....I mean anyone that plays Hendrix better than Hendrix gets my vote. Granted Hendrix didn't have the technology that SRV had, but holy shit was SRV amazing.

serious goosebumps...f**k me!

I was fortunate enough to see him live twice before he died.

he's simply stunning!

anyone mention Angus Young? I mean, most consider him a one trick pony but there's something to be said for simplicity.

If you have a copy of highway to hell put it on and skip to "night prowler"

the opening blues fill is astounding!

you gotta be smoking crack

SRV better than jazz guitarists????

first off.. ITS APPLES AND ORANGES.

Secondly...SRV doesnt compare to a John McGlaughlin or Al DiMeola or even Django Reinhardt or Wes Montgomery. Lets not get ahead of ourselves making stupid comments in an effort to make a point
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    hoopinman wrote:
    you gotta be smoking crack

SRV better than jazz guitarists????

first off.. ITS APPLES AND ORANGES.

Secondly...SRV doesnt compare to a John McGlaughlin or Al DiMeola or even Django Reinhardt or Wes Montgomery. Lets not get ahead of ourselves making stupid comments in an effort to make a point

Again, it all depends on how you define "great guitar player." SRV's playing connected with me in a way that none of the jazz guitarists ever have. The guitarists you listed are all remarkable guitarists who are highly skilled, but SRV hit notes that went beyond skill or technique. For me, it's all about soul, and SRV had it oozing from his pores.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.

I don't think SRV's rhythm playing had the swing that Jimi's had. Often, he'd come in right on the beat, whereas Jimi was a master of flirting with time. One only needs to hear 1969 live versions of Red House to hear this.

SRV to me was the very best Hendrix copyist, and he was more soulful and funky, and had more chops than, someone like Robin Trower (who is also excellent). Yes, SRV's undoubtedly a supreme guitarist, but he often played from the book that Jimi rewrote every time he began a solo. I respect your opinion, though.
    what exactly is tone??

It's when picked strings don't sound only like picked strings at a certain pitch but make a sound that is recognisibly warm and almost vocal. Enriched by vibrato or considered finger pressure and/or picking (while perhaps coloured by guitar effects also),guitar tone speaks with a quality that expresses the emotions and thoughts of the artist and therefore transcends the mere mathematics of melody and harmony.
  • Favorite - Neil Young

Best - Jimi Hendrix
  • stone or mike?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrGjABLoZn4

I take it you've all seen Jimi's Voodoo Chile from Berkeley ...
    boroff89 wrote:
    Again, it all depends on how you define "great guitar player." SRV's playing connected with me in a way that none of the jazz guitarists ever have. The guitarists you listed are all remarkable guitarists who are highly skilled, but SRV hit notes that went beyond skill or technique. For me, it's all about soul, and SRV had it oozing from his pores.

no the quote I was referring to was he played better than Jazz guitarists by Boxwine in Hell

I understand p[eople saying SRV hits them differently...but hes not a better guitarist as far as jazz goes...he doesnt play jazz!
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Satriani's idol is Hendrix, so unlikely.
    Also, I doubt anyone would argue that Hendrix is great because he can use his thumb on the fretboard. How is that important?
    I didn't mention importance.
    You doubt? -what, did I just think it up? Then there would be someone ready to argue it, if through a silly invented cover. No. It is an argument that's used as most guitar players cannot use the thumb. Yer can get an octave chord thing going on without using the index on the bass, giving more reach and ease to the fingers on the fretboard ....if that makes sense? Killing Floor from the bbc sessions is what I'm thinking of here
  • elmer wrote:
    I didn't mention importance.
    You doubt? -what, did I just think it up? Then there would be someone ready to argue it, if through a silly invented cover. No. It is an argument that's used as most guitar players cannot use the thumb. Yer can get an octave chord thing going on without using the index on the bass, giving more reach and ease to the fingers on the fretboard ....if that makes sense? Killing Floor from the bbc sessions is what I'm thinking of here
    I'm well aware of what you can do with a thumb on the fretboard. I just fail to see how that is as important as a factor of Hendrix being the best guitarist of all time. His feel and delivery were far bigger factors. It was a knock at you any way and I'm sorry if it came across that way.